Positive The Tapering Support Thread v 2.0

tapering my 20 year methadone regime
on hydrocortisone for the pain condition I am rxed it for.
Down to 15 mgs/day
I got all the comfort meds which honestly is most addictive
Benzos, pregabalin, chronic weed being the meds I find addicted. Always almost out of clonazepam 14 days into the script
then the other 14 days I am taking extra pregabalin to make up for benzo blunder; which is taking more benzo than prescribed.
Chronically running short is still a miserable junky way to live.
I am smart enough to understand that taking extra will always mean running out.

tapering my 20 year methadone regime
on hydrocortisone for the pain condition I am rxed it for.
Down to 15 mgs/day
I got all the comfort meds which honestly is most addictive
Benzos, pregabalin, chronic weed being the meds I find addicted. Always almost out of clonazepam 14 days into the script
then the other 14 days I am taking extra pregabalin to make up for benzo blunder; which is taking more benzo than prescribed.
Chronically running short is still a miserable junky way to live.
I am smart enough to understand that taking extra will always mean running out.
I had been doing the junkue math all wrong until I did the junkie calculus a few years ago:

If I’m scripted 100 mg per day and I use double for a week, I can just catch up by using 1/2 for the last week right? Nope. If I used 200 mg per day for 7 days, then I’m upside down by 700 mg. If I cut myself down to half, then I’m only saving 350 mg per week, so I would need to drop to 1/2 my script for 2 weeks just to break even.

Next: After a week at 200mg, my tolerance will be up to that level. So dropping to 100mg and again to 50mg is going to suck……. a lot, and twice. So I’m probably going to lie to myself and stretch that 200mg party into one more day, and then another, until I’m just bullshitting myself into justifying using too much and going out with a bang on day 14 and using 400 mg on the last day and suffering through full cold turkey after 2 weeks of double my script.

Worst was after I realized I wasn’t going to die. That’s when I started doing it basically every month.

You might be wise to switch to a two dose regimen for a day or two and see how it goes. Maybe 2 hours after you wake up and 2 hours before bed. That would make smaller drops easier in the future. Maybe wait until the weekend and try 2 x 5 mg per day.

And, it really doesn’t get any easier. The closer you get to feeling better at today’s dose, the more you miss it when you feel like crap tomorrow. It really doesn’t start feeling like there’s any sort of light at the end of the tunnel until you’re already on the other side of the mountain. The secret is to keep yourself as busy as possible. Otherwise the mind wanders into bad thoughts about how much longer it’s going to take.

What size pills do you get/have? Breaking anything in half isn’t too hard but 1/4’s can be a challenge.
Hello! My pills, 10 mg, are small round pink pills probably.25 in diameter, I break then into 5 mg and I can use a pill cutter for 1/4s but the weight variation is high, like 10-15%. I'm now down to 2 x 5 mg per day like you said. 10 am and 2-3 hours before bed. This is day 2 on 10 mg. I did 12.5 mg for 9 days. So far I'm managing. Today was tough cause I had to work 2nd shift monitoring a process in a full protective gowning and PAPR. I got through despite feeling bad for a few hours. I will do 10 mg for 8 days or so and then drop to 7.5 mg. This is a long process and i can see why many people give up but I must stay the course! Im willing to suffer to be free. I suffered in severe chronic nerve pain for almost 1 year straight after my surgery and I even contemplating the unthinkable but I suffered through it and only after time, many years, did the nerve pain settle down a bit. I will keep updating as I hit milestones or something to mention. Thank you for all your support, it matters !

I suffered in severe chronic nerve pain for almost 1 year straight after my surgery and I even contemplating the unthinkable but I suffered through it and only after time, many years, did the nerve pain settle down a bit
Been there. Some days I think about the whole situation and realize I’m lucky to be alive. We are all glad you made it through to the other side. It’s a very long and lonely road.

As for micro-dosing: cutting those tiny pills into 1/4th’s isn’t an exact science. It works but it’s questionable if you’re trying to be perfect. If you want to be more scientific…… oxy dissolves really well in water, room temperature (even better in Coca Cola). You could dissolve a pill in a water bottle, mark it with a sharpie, and just drink your 1/4 pill.

If you get down to 2.5 mg doses, this might be a lot easier.

And remember that a good tapering plan might take a long time. I’m sure you have plenty if pills stashed away by now. Take your time and go slow if you feel like it’s too difficult. Managing a life and trying to get through opiate withdrawals is a lot to handle.

Been there. Some days I think about the whole situation and realize I’m lucky to be alive. We are all glad you made it through to the other side. It’s a very long and lonely road.

As for micro-dosing: cutting those tiny pills into 1/4th’s isn’t an exact science. It works but it’s questionable if you’re trying to be perfect. If you want to be more scientific…… oxy dissolves really well in water, room temperature (even better in Coca Cola). You could dissolve a pill in a water bottle, mark it with a sharpie, and just drink your 1/4 pill.

If you get down to 2.5 mg doses, this might be a lot easier.

And remember that a good tapering plan might take a long time. I’m sure you have plenty if pills stashed away by now. Take your time and go slow if you feel like it’s too difficult. Managing a life and trying to get through opiate withdrawals is a lot to handle.
Hello,
I am staying on plan. This is day 6 of me being on 10 mg per day; 5mg at 10 Am and 5 mg around 830pm. Funny I wake up feeling okay but the wds hit me around 4pm hard. I had my doctor's last night and asked for lofexidine but due to extremely high price and insurance issues, he is giving me Clonidine for 15 days. I asked for Clonidine actually. I want as many tools as possible to help me through this. The physical wds are mainly yawning, sneezing (surprisingly), lethargy, and GI cramps but those bother me less than the mental wds which are agitation, restlessness, anxiety, depression. I feel Clonidine can help simmer down the mental wds. What do you think ? Also what do you know about using clonidine? My BP was also higher than usual yesterday so the doc thinks it will help my BP which I take 2 meds for currently. I think my BP is running higher due to tapering. My cravings for sugar and carbs while taking oxycodone are still present and I am always hungry. As a consequence my weight went up again. I am 6 ft tall, muscular build for my age but my weight is now 237 lbs! I should be around 200 lbs. I hope after in off Oxycodone, I won't get these intense sugar cravings. I told my gf I felt like Jeff Goldblum in the fly craving and eating sugary foods all the time. I used to eat 4 heath bars la day. Thankfully I quit that but still always hungry even though the tapering. I'm trying to eat healthier stuff like salmon, organic salads, and less carbs now. Also I'm praying my tinnitus that I developed about 6 months after starting oxycodone for pain will subside. Even if takes months to years I will be extremely happy. I read oxycodone may be ototoxic to some people but not others. I like your idea of dissolving the pill into water and then marking off quarters and drinking it. However my doctor prescribed me 5 mg instead of 10 mg and I plan to pick them up tonight. I do have a ton of pills, I even have many 15 mg pills when I was taking 60 mg per day. I think I will keep them around locked up in case the world goes into complete meltdown. Thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated and when I am off this stuff I would like to send you a gift card to show my appreciation. However I understand if you decline as I know BL is a forum for people sharing and helping others. I will do my part to help others when called upon. JT

Hello,
I am staying on plan. This is day 6 of me being on 10 mg per day; 5mg at 10 Am and 5 mg around 830pm. Funny I wake up feeling okay but the wds hit me around 4pm hard. I had my doctor's last night and asked for lofexidine but due to extremely high price and insurance issues, he is giving me Clonidine for 15 days. I asked for Clonidine actually. I want as many tools as possible to help me through this. The physical wds are mainly yawning, sneezing (surprisingly), lethargy, and GI cramps but those bother me less than the mental wds which are agitation, restlessness, anxiety, depression. I feel Clonidine can help simmer down the mental wds. What do you think ? Also what do you know about using clonidine? My BP was also higher than usual yesterday so the doc thinks it will help my BP which I take 2 meds for currently. I think my BP is running higher due to tapering. My cravings for sugar and carbs while taking oxycodone are still present and I am always hungry. As a consequence my weight went up again. I am 6 ft tall, muscular build for my age but my weight is now 237 lbs! I should be around 200 lbs. I hope after in off Oxycodone, I won't get these intense sugar cravings. I told my gf I felt like Jeff Goldblum in the fly craving and eating sugary foods all the time. I used to eat 4 heath bars la day. Thankfully I quit that but still always hungry even though the tapering. I'm trying to eat healthier stuff like salmon, organic salads, and less carbs now. Also I'm praying my tinnitus that I developed about 6 months after starting oxycodone for pain will subside. Even if takes months to years I will be extremely happy. I read oxycodone may be ototoxic to some people but not others. I like your idea of dissolving the pill into water and then marking off quarters and drinking it. However my doctor prescribed me 5 mg instead of 10 mg and I plan to pick them up tonight. I do have a ton of pills, I even have many 15 mg pills when I was taking 60 mg per day. I think I will keep them around locked up in case the world goes into complete meltdown. Thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated and when I am off this stuff I would like to send you a gift card to show my appreciation. However I understand if you decline as I know BL is a forum for people sharing and helping others. I will do my part to help others when called upon. JT
Each drop in daily dose will get you physical wd’s (nausea, aches, sweating) that last for a week or so. The psychological wd’s (depression, anxiety) will last for a month-ish. But a return to ‘normal’ is a long way away. Appetite, libido, creativity, etc….. can fluctuate for up to 2 years.

Clonidine is prescribed for high blood pressure caused by stress, but it can be extremely helpful to reduce some wd symptoms and help you fall asleep. Any wd’s from extended use should be mild, so use it if it helps.

As for the weight gain and sugar cravings: switch to whole fruit. It’s not sugar that’s making you fat, it’s FAKE sugar. Ever seen an obese chimpanzee? They live on whole fruit, all sugar. The obesity epidemic in the USA can be traced back to the amount of high fructose corn syrup in our diets.

Your cravings will likely be around for a while. The two largest natural dopamine producers are food and sex. You’re running low right now thanks to oxy, so your brain is trying to get it back with food. Most people gain weight when they quit any drug for that reason.

I felt so sick like . . . . horrible. I took some kratom. I don't want to end up needing a hospital but I felt really bad anyway. I do. So I took the kratom to feel better.

The cetirizine helped through so much ( a lot ). I still have a lot and I hope that I have more somewhere.

I feel like I am blasting off with kratom rn but I'm not I just feel better.

Just sharing my own experiences tapering:

One of the biggest mistakes I made when I tried tapering was breaking my pills into 1/4th’s. My prescription was for 3 pills per day and my plan was to break it into 12 doses, that way I could start dropping one tiny dose every few days.

Huge mistake. What I had done was created a situation where I was never without oxy in my blood. Even the smallest reduction felt like cold turkey.

What I think I learned was that I needed to suffer every day in small pieces. Like the old saying “How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.” When I tried 1/4 pill every 2 hours instead of 1 whole pill every 8 hours and I dropped it to 1/4th every 3 hours….. full withdrawals all day without a break. I was actually better off sticking to my 8 hour dosage schedule and planning on feeling like crap for a couple of hours each day, then planning on feeling better after my pill, but cutting my doses down by 1/4 pill at lunch or dinner. That way I could function through a meeting at work or be present at dinner with my wife.
Thank you!! So I have been doing this 1/4 cut technique, and feeling like shit! Hi have been here awhile BL and addiction. This is the first time that I have called it addiction!! I have always felt that it was dependence? I am a full blown alcoholic, have been going to AA meetings for 40yrs, and just celebrated 15yrs sober.
I do not get high from my NORCO 10/325, I brake them in half and take no more than 20mgs a day, I never run out ( i have 600 pills in supply)
But I am struggling greatly with the depression of withdrawals!! I have been on opiates for over 15 yrs now!!
@Squeaky you mention that you are better off with 8 hour dose?? my Norco do not last longer than 4 hours?
Do I just take 5mgs every 4 hrs?
I am lost really!!

@Squeaky you mention that you are better off with 8 hour dose?? my Norco do not last longer than 4 hours?
Do I just take 5mgs every 4 hrs?
You’re going to suffer at least a little ever you day, or you’re going to need to take more and more to avoid the suffering. There’s really no in between. It’s called “tolerance withdrawals”. The Dr says one pill every 8 hours and you’ll feel fine, but that’s bullshit. Your body eliminates the drugs too fast and you start feeling the withdrawals after about 4 hours.

There’s just no such thing as long term opiate therapy for someone like me (and probably you too). There will be daily withdrawals, or there will be overuse to avoid those withdrawals.

I was better off with an 8 hour dose schedule because it allowed me to feel good/ok for a couple of hours between pills. I could time my doses so that I was able to function when necessary. For example: first morning pill at about a half hour before leaving for work, so that I was functional when my boss was talking at the start of my day. Then I could hide my aches and depression an hour later by pretending to be busy. Then take another pill near the end of my shift, because that’s when my boss wanted to come inspect my work.

It’s all about keeping my life together and hiding my withdrawals while I’m tapering off the drugs. When I tried 1/4 pill at 2 hour intervals, that depression and aches between pills was less but constant. And when I lowered my dose it was significant and constant.
I was better off getting a huge dose of wd’s in small bursts than having it spread out throughout my whole day.

Ultimately I decided that cold turkey was my best option. Complete hell for a few days. Depression for a few months. But mostly….. no more rides on that fucking opiate roller coaster!

Thanks!! So you are totally off opiates now?
I took 5mgs this am, and hope to only take 2 more doses of 5mgs through the day?
I have Gabipentian (I take 300 mgs at night, and a THC gummy to sleep have a script for ambine , but do not want to get dependent on them.
I also take 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 150 Wellbrutian in the am.
My biggest fear is lack of sleep , and my wife finding out I am back on opiates. I had a very bad situation 15 years ago, with OXY and Stoli. I went to rehab, and have no had a drink since, but as the pain from radiation got worst in my neck and shoulders, my Dr put me on Norco ( Not as strong, and still schedule III) so you will be fine?? I need to drive all day and with the neck pain driving became hard, and a little dangerous, so as a good addict I said sure. Now I am here??

I am starting back on a protein, with high Vit C, magnessiam, added

Thanks!! So you are totally off opiates now?
I took 5mgs this am, and hope to only take 2 more doses of 5mgs through the day?
I have Gabipentian (I take 300 mgs at night, and a THC gummy to sleep have a script for ambine , but do not want to get dependent on them.
I also take 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 150 Wellbrutian in the am.
My biggest fear is lack of sleep , and my wife finding out I am back on opiates. I had a very bad situation 15 years ago, with OXY and Stoli. I went to rehab, and have no had a drink since, but as the pain from radiation got worst in my neck and shoulders, my Dr put me on Norco ( Not as strong, and still schedule III) so you will be fine?? I need to drive all day and with the neck pain driving became hard, and a little dangerous, so as a good addict I said sure. Now I am here??

I am starting back on a protein, with high Vit C, magnessiam, added
I take a couple shots of Kratom every day, plus Lyrica. But otherwise I’m off everything including alcohol and THC.

I am like you…. terrified of not sleeping. That time at the beginning of the night when the house is quiet and I’m trying to sleep, but I’m wide awake and suffering. My mind immediately wanders into blaming myself for being in this situation. I go into an almost panic attack within seconds of the lights turning off. I drank heavily for years, used THC gummies for about 2 years, relied on oxy for about 5 years. And the thought of having nothing to knock me out at night is still an instant nightmare.

I do better at night if I watch television. Something that I can enjoy without needing to actually watch. The distraction helps time pass when I can’t sleep.

Last edited:
BTW, I have Kratom as well? but again not taking it??
Kratom is a great way to lessen opiate wd’s. But it will also significantly raise your tolerance to opiates as well. It’s best to decide which road to go on and stick with it. But you should try Kratom at least once. One measuring teaspoon with 8 oz of orange juice, or 3-5 grams if it’s capsules. Do it on an empty stomach, when you’re in full withdrawal. That way you can tell if it works and what to expect if you go that route.

Thank you! I need to make a decision to do this, and stick with it! Just fear of so many things has me parallelized. I have stuffed so many emotions down, that dealing with them sober looks impossible?
I have not recovered from the financial Hit from Covid, or family health issues , so money weights very heavily on me right now. I also am aware that Many more people are in tougher places than me.

Just fear of so many things has me parallelized. I have stuffed so many emotions down, that dealing with them sober looks impossible
“I gotta get off my ass. I need to pay bills. I need to do laundry. I need to go to the gym.”

“Maybe just take a shower and brush my teeth?….. Maybe just the shower?…. Fuck it. Just a little more Netflix.”

—————-

I have trouble seeing things as individual small problems. I see everything as one huge problem and just give up.

It’s easy to have the energy and problem solve when I’m ’relaxed’. Pills or booze. Doesn’t matter. Otherwise I get that paralyzed feeling too, and just give up.

The depression from the wd’s just makes it 10x worse.

Thank you!!
I had forgotten what I Lived By when I was getting sober;
"Move a muscle Change a thought"

I need the same policy here with opiates.

I have been so dishonest with myself for all these years. I have a Dr script for these, every month and inexpensive, so i was like is is Not a problem I am fine?????????
Well now after 10 years ( slow uptake really) they are not fine.
I will not raise my dose even though I can triple it:doh:

Hello! My pills, 10 mg, are small round pink pills probably.25 in diameter, I break then into 5 mg and I can use a pill cutter for 1/4s but the weight variation is high, like 10-15%. I'm now down to 2 x 5 mg per day like you said. 10 am and 2-3 hours before bed. This is day 2 on 10 mg. I did 12.5 mg for 9 days. So far I'm managing. Today was tough cause I had to work 2nd shift monitoring a process in a full protective gowning and PAPR. I got through despite feeling bad for a few hours. I will do 10 mg for 8 days or so and then drop to 7.5 mg. This is a long process and i can see why many people give up but I must stay the course! Im willing to suffer to be free. I suffered in severe chronic nerve pain for almost 1 year straight after my surgery and I even contemplating the unthinkable but I suffered through it and only after time, many years, did the nerve pain settle down a bit. I will keep updating as I hit milestones or something to mention. Thank you for all your support, it matters !
Are you on the same oxy's as me? I need to quit, I ain't dead and those pills now do little. I get the ones with no acetaminophen.

Are you on the same oxy's as me? I need to quit, I ain't dead and those pills now do little. I get the ones with no acetaminophen.
Yeah. I am now on the white 5 mg pills since I have tapered down from 40 mg per day to 10 mg per day. I am about to drop to 7.5 mg per day. If they are doing nothing or causing more problems then get off. It's a long process and there will be wds no matter what method or tools you use. I see the wds as a good thing because it is my body adjusting to not having this drug and trying to make it's own dopamine etc. It will be a few months of suffering and then probably few more months of adjustment to "normal" but it's worth the pain and suffering, sleepless nights, wds etc. You have to be determined and not give up. And you have to know why you are doing it and believe in yourself that you can do this.

Yeah. I am now on the white 5 mg pills since I have tapered down from 40 mg per day to 10 mg per day. I am about to drop to 7.5 mg per day. If they are doing nothing or causing more problems then get off. It's a long process and there will be wds no matter what method or tools you use. I see the wds as a good thing because it is my body adjusting to not having this drug and trying to make it's own dopamine etc. It will be a few months of suffering and then probably few more months of adjustment to "normal" but it's worth the pain and suffering, sleepless nights, wds etc. You have to be determined and not give up. And you have to know why you are doing it and believe in yourself that you can do this.
I am on 40mg, the most the state of Michigan will permit.( sucks) yeah, then the benzos and gabapentin. I hear getting off, of them is fun also.
This sucks, I am supposed to be dead over 7 years ago. Now I am screwed.

I am on 40mg, the most the state of Michigan will permit.( sucks) yeah, then the benzos and gabapentin. I hear getting off, of them is fun also.
This sucks, I am supposed to be dead over 7 years ago. Now I am screwed.
Hello
Omg. I grew up in Michigan, Macomb county! I had no idea the limit was 40 mg. Are you on straight oxy or hydro? Best not take it with Acetaminophen as this damages the liver worst than the opiods. My doc in PA change me from Percs to straight oxy. I think the limit in PA is higher cause I know people including myself to be on higher. If you don't think the opiods are helping try to get off. It will take time but if I can do it anyone can. Why did you almost die? Mixing ? Why are you screwed ? Try to be hopeful. Mind is powerful. Jt