• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction The Safer Injecting Handbook - MUST-READ BEFORE YOU INJECT DRUGS!!!

Hexenstahl

Bluelighter

The Safer Injecting Handbook has been the definitive user's guide, to reducing harm related to injecting for 20 years.

Completely re-illustrated by Michael Linnell, a fully revised and updated 8th edition was published in October 2015. This 9th edition was published in July 2017, further updated to reduce the level of warning about filters, mixing water, and spoons, which have been shown to be a much lower HCV risk than previously thought.

Giving the latest information on everything from vein collapse to hepatitis C, and cleaning used injecting equipment, to deep vein thrombosis, the handbook is essential reading for all injecting drug users, and everyone working with injecting drug users.

For those injecting (levo)methadone, read this, it will protect your vein health and ultimately your life -> https://www.usersnews.com.au/home/2019/7/9/reducing-the-harm-from-injecting-methadone#:~:text=In order to inject methadone,t need to dilute Biodone.

Remember vein collapses lead to an undersupply of blood in your extremeties, which in the worst case scenario can result in areas of your skin starting to die off, gangrene/necrosis sets in and the infected bits have to be removed by surgery (amputation if all else fails!!!).

And please, ALWAYS ALWAYS use micron filters (0.2µm) no matter what drug you wanna inject. Paying around $2 per filter might be expensive but it's about your health! Don't save on money when it comes to protecting your life folks.

@Nurse Ratched or @arrall
perhaps you can make this thread sticky? I think it's important for drug users who plan on IVing to read the safer use guide first. Lives can be saved that way. :group hug:

Last edited:
I still do work with Michael Linnell. Oddly enough, he E-mailed me only last week. It's worth your time looking at his website.

He founded Lifeline Publications in 1971, produced most of the art and most of the text with help from experts in certain fields such as Dr. Nuke (Dr Russell Newcombe) and others.

I cannot speak too highly of the guy.

What, you mean that Dr. Nuke guy? Why? Arrogant dude?

No, I men he's such a good guy, their are no words to praise him enough.

In the UK it's career suicide for a doctor to work in harm reduction. It earns the least money and because it's such an unusual area of medicine, it's hard to even find a job. But Russell, like Michael, decided that it's better to help people than to get rich.

BTW if you haven't watched the videos on Michael's site, they ARE very funny. Sometimes very dark, but always funny. 'Wobbly Stan' is about a guy who is addicted to diazepam and who is quite spaced out all the time. There are many young BLers who don't know how bad benzodiazepines are - but they can REALLY mess people up.

I still haven't figured all the UK slang, I swear I saw a book on UK slang, almost half the size of the dictionary,( very slight exaggeration)

There is a tremendous number of idioms but I think the strength of the English language is that if we find a word in another language for which we have no direct translation, we use it. Robot (Czech), jungle (Hindi), coffee (Arabic), tycoon (Japanese), ransack (Icelandic), cadet (Russian), zeitgeist (German) and so forth.

@Hexenstahl I don't know. The video I refer to is

I'm just old enough to remember when barbiturates and clomethiazole were still prescribed by doctors. Both classes of drug are used as sedatives and hypnotics, both are much more toxic in overdose and both seem to produce dependence more readily than benzodiazepines. BUT the key thing is that benzodiazepines were initially marketed as being safe - which clearly they are not. Then, a few years ago the Z-drugs were introduced as being 'non addictive' which clearly they are not...

In short, I've got used to the increasingly accepted view that GABAgenic drugs are inherently bad. Yes, sometimes they ARE appropriate, but they all carry a risk.

"bruv" means brother, right? I think I'm starting to understand the strange species known as "brits" a little bit better. Must research these creatures more carefully...

P.S.: is your weather really as depressing as stereotypes make it seem like?

Also tapered, you remember barbiturates, here I thought I was old. They use to try to warn us back in the early 90's with out of date anti drug films. We were like what the hell is a barbiturate? Then there were all the slang terms for weird hippie Era drugs. So extacy is ok, but it it ain't on the list. I still don't know what a red or a black beauty is.

Hexenstahl, you don't know what a Britiish person is: I guess they really do heavily censor the history books in Germany