• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Recipe Thread! Part II: Electric Mixaroo

spork, that sounds like a very interesting combo. i am also curious about the recipe.

my dinner tonight is apple and cranberry stuffed chicken breast with pumpkin soup and buttermilk biscuits. it is mostly reassembling various prepared foods from trader joe's as opposed to home cooking tho.

i made this carrot-apple-ginger soup with fresh mint for dinner. it was super tasty compared to the amount of effort it took to make.

but my husband wouldn't eat it because he said it was baby food texture. i am trying to think of what i can add so its not just a puree. other than the obvious of carrot chunks.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a good recipe for bread made with the leftover grains from brewing beer?
All the ones I've seen are yeast, flour and sugar. Are there any custom favorite versions?

Merci beaucoup :)
I'll give that a try tomorrow and report back.

My current go-to recipe has been a quinoa, black bean hodge podge.
I add however much I feel like or have on hand of the following.

Quinoa (duh)
Bell pepper, diced (its weird that certain colors are cheaper than others)
Black beans, rinsed and drained
Onion, diced
Garlic, minced
Sambal or chili pepper flakes
Some sort of smoked sausage, cut into slices

While the quinoa cooks, cook the onion in a pan with oil for about 10 min and then add the garlic and bell pepper. Let that cook some more until the bell pepper is tender, then add the sausage and beans to heat them up. Finally add the cooked quinoa and sambal.

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of the sausage. Its not that healthy and with the quinoa and black beans there's already enough protein in this.

i call this my motherfucking magical MXE masterpiece

1 Jaffa cake

1 custard creme biscuit.

5 seconds in the microwave. stick both parts of the custard creme biscuit to each side of the jaffa cake and enjoy.

Bell pepper, diced (its weird that certain colors are cheaper than others)
It's not weird at all: All bell peppers are green at first--If left to ripen on the vine, they will turn different colors depending upon the degree of ripeness. Green -> Yellow -> Orange -> Red. It's more expensive to let them ripen on the vine, hence the higher price of red bell peppers compared to yellow, compared to green.

For more info, click here. :)

use chicken or turkey sausage

Hmmm maybe.

It's not weird at all: All bell peppers are green at first--If left to ripen on the vine, they will turn different colors depending upon the degree of ripeness. Green -> Yellow -> Orange -> Red. It's more expensive to let them ripen on the vine, hence the higher price of red bell peppers compared to yellow, compared to green.

For more info, click here. :)

I didn't know that, that's pretty cool and makes total sense now.
Right on :)

I've been making a big pot of stew once a week for the local Occupy camp, and keeping a couple bowls for myself for lunches during the week. I was just messing around and made what turned out to be a pretty tasty and nutritious one-pot meal. Completely vegan, but loaded with gluten-- goes great with a nice bun though!

Occupy Stew!

vegan sausage
onions/carrot/celery (ratio of 2:1:1 by chopped volume, aka "mirepoix")
garlic
mini/fingerling potatoes
cauliflower
kale (cleaned and chopped into small bits)
chickpeas
canned tomatoes
lemon juice
oil for frying
veg stock (I used this one-- it's amazing)
oregano, marjoram, bay leaves
flour to thicken
Tamari/shoyu/soy sauce

Preheat the oven to 400F. Cut the clean potatoes into bite-size pieces and toss in a bit of oil on a baking sheet. Add salt and pepper, then roast until golden brown, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking. Do the same with the cauliflower-- the cauliflower will take less time to cook.

Start the stew proper by heating a splash of oil in a big 'ol pot, and fry the sausage (cut into reasonable pieces) until there's a nice crust on them. Remove and reserve. Heat another splash of oil and then sweat the mirepoix until the onions start to brown. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, usually just 30 seconds or so. Add the chickpeas and herbs, and toss in the flour, stirring to coat everything evenly, and cook until the flour starts to brown just a bit. Add the stock and stir until there are no lumps left. Take half of the tinned tomatoes and quickly puree them, and coarsly chop the other half. Add the tomatoes into the mixture and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring often. Do not let it come to a boil, as you will have lots of burnt crap stuck on the bottom of your pan! Add in a bit of tamari/other soy sauce, lots of black pepper, and tweak the seasoning as you'd like.

Once the potatoes and cauliflower are done roasting, eat a couple as is because they're delicious! Then add them into the stew, along with the kale and sausage. Stir so that everything is well mixed and warmed through, add some lemon juice to finish and check for seasoning one last time.

Serve piping hot, either to loving friends and familiy or to a group of dedicated activists working to get some sort of accountability back into the financial sector ;)

i call this my motherfucking magical MXE masterpiece

cooking and eating on dissociatives: no way that can be a good scene. :p

ebola

Glad to hear it! Once I get rid of these kits and get into proper brewing, I look forward to having some spent grain of my own to play with.

I don't cook properly that often but I can cook and do enjoy it occasionally. The other night I tried doing a thai prawn curry for the first time...

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp fresh root ginger
1-2 tsp Thai red curry paste
400g can chopped tomatoes
50g sachet coconut cream
400g raw frozen prawns

It was nice, but it lacked something. It was slightly flavourless/bland. What could I add to this to improve it for next time? More curry paste?

Fish sauce to complement the curry paste. Remember that a little goes a long way (you don't want it to taste identifiably like fish sauce).

ebola

I made the best fried rice earlier. I've never made fried rice successfully as lame as that sounds--It's always turned out really soggy.

Ingredients: Two cups day-old brown Basmati rice, 1/2 cup black beans, 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, two red scallion-like onions, three cloves of garlic, two eggs, and extra virgin olive oil.

Sauteed the onions and garlic, emptied pan, cooked beaten eggs 'til almost done, emptied pan, fried rice/bean/tom. mixture (lol, shouldn't've added the tomatoes at this stage but meh, they were still delicious albeit a little burnt) for a few minutes, then added all the other ingredients back in for another minute.

The sun-dried tomatoes really gave the rice dish an interesting taste--The main reason I'm posting this very typical recipe you all have probably made in some form at one point or another. :p

^ rice in general is hard to get 'just right', IME.

After putting it off for ages, I finally got a slow cooker. My first meal was a beef stew and not only was it easy to make, the end product was pretty much one of the best meals I've ever had. I halved the ingredients since my slow cooker is rather small. The simple recipe can be found here.

opVUz.jpg

BACON WRAPPED EGGS

Ingredients:
1 package bacon
1 box of eggs
Shredded cheddar, crumbled goat cheese, or any cheese you like
Chopped herbs such as chives, dill, thyme

1. On medium heat, fry bacon on a skillet until slightly browned on each side, but still pliable - don't let them get crispy
2. Drain on paper towels and let cool
3. Preheat oven to 400
4. Line muffin cups (or ramekins) with bacon slices, making sure to cover the bottom too (tear off chunks of bacon to fill the bottom)
5. Crack an egg into each cup
6. Add cheese on top
7. Sprinkle with herbs, salt and freshly cracked pepper
8. Bake until set, approx 15 min
9. Carefully run a knife around each to loosen from the cup and remove