• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Recipe Thread! Part II: Electric Mixaroo

Doo eet! Ants are very intensely flavoured; the ones that I had were strongly lemon-like, oddly enough.

Thanks for the tip about sansho; that'll save me from having to grind the peppercorns.

Ooh: today I tried lobster mushrooms for the first time. They really did taste like lobster, the texture was even right!

1 lb chicken wings soaked in the following marinade;

¾ cup Coca-Cola
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tbs Chinese rice wine
2 tbs vegetable oil
A pinch of freshly ground blackpepper

1 stalk spring onion (scallion), chopped thrown on it after cooking.

Let them marinate for at least an hour, but I go for 3-4 hrs min!
I just like them on the grill.. but could be fried or done in the oven I assume!

The acid in the coke must make those super tender! Mmm.

I made a killer vegan corn chowder tonight. The ideal late summer/early fall meal; so warming. As always, measurements are approximate, as I'll be damned if I'm going to measure anything in the kitchen.

oil for frying (I used coconut; canola, light olive, corn or peanut would all work fine)
2 onions
2 star anise
6 cloves garlic
6 ears fresh corn, kernels removed and the cobs cut into ca. 2" lengths
2 L veg stock, plus more to dilute if necessary
2 medium-large potatoes, well-scrubbed and diced; I used starchy reds because that's what I had on hand, but nice, waxy Yukon Golds would be killer here
2 cups cashew cream
oregano oil (or a lot of oregano; I like the oil as it doesn't mess up the colour or consistency)
dressing oil, nice bread, one more garlic clove (to finish)

Begin by sweating off the onions in the bottom of a large pot. I used a pressure cooker, both to save time and improve flavour; a conventional pot can be used, but add a couple of hours for simmering the cobs. Seriously. Anyway, once the onions are starting to get a bit of colour, throw in the garlic (minced first, forgot to mention that) and anise and toss for about 30 seconds. The licorice flavour doesn't overpower, and interacts really well with the onions and garlic to add some incredible depth of flavour. It can be omitted easily enough though, but try it out sometime.

Add in the cobs, half of the stock and a small handful of the kernels. Seal the pressure cooker and cook at 2nd ring (15 psi) for 15-20 minutes. Open the pot using the fast cooling method (or natural cooling if you're patient and want a less cloudy broth, but that's moot here as you'll see in a bit). If you're using a conventional pot, here's where the two hours come in: simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. For either method, once the cooking time here is done, remove the cobs, add the diced potato and half of the remaining kernels and bring the broth back up to a gentle boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender, then blend until smooth using a hand blender or in a conventional blender in batches. There will still be some texture; if you're anal you can strain it, but eff that-- a good soup should have texture.

With the blended soup in the pot, adjust seasoning as required with salt and copious freshly ground black pepper. Add in a solid dropper-full of oregano oil and stir well. Add in the cashew cream and adjust the thickness if required with more stock (it'll likely be required). Let it sit in the warm pot until at the right temperature to eat, stir once more and adjust seasoning again. To serve, ladle generously into bowls (don't be a miser; it's cold out), drizzle with a bit of nice dressing oil (I used Udo's oil blend, but a nice, complex extra virgin olive oil would be grand), add a few cracks of black pepper, a sprinking of the remaining kernels and serve with the nice bread lightly toasted and rubbed with a cut clove of garlic for great justice!

So, what the flying frack is cashew cream you ask? It's a dead easy whole food substitute for dairy cream that is wonderfully rich and healthy as it has a good amount of both protein and plant fats. All you do to make it is soak some raw cashews in some water for at least 4 hours (at room temp) or ideally overnight (probably best to refrigerate). Drain and rinse well, then blend in a high speed blender with more fresh water (start with a 1:1 volume ratio of nuts:water) until silky smooth. If you've got a cheper blender, it might stay a bit gritty, in which case you can just strain it for a delicious light oil. If you've got a killer blender, then it can be used as is; if there's less water in it then it can be used as a heavy cream, and substituted even for creme fraiche in sauces. If a 'normal' cream is required, just dilute with fresh water to get the right consistency. Keeps well in the fridge.

Last edited:
My mom found this online. It is the weekly news letter for the cooper-young area of memphis. the news letter featured a picture and article about me and some things I was picking up at the farmers market. Here's the picture and the Article.

whats%20in%20your%20bag%20May%2028.JPG

What's in Your Bag?

"We spoke with Jessie D. last week as she was enjoying the beautiful day at the market and asked her, "what's in your bag?" Sipping a lemonade from CYCFM's Market Cafe, Jessie told us that she had picked up carrots, basil, pineapple thyme, and rosemary with the idea of heading into the kitchen to create an herb-scented melange of roasted carrots, new potatoes, and yucca. Wow — that sounds pretty good!"

Those greens you see spilling from my bag are the tops of some beautiful carrots!

I did take my last name out of the article.

bacon-wrapped scallops with chili-mayo

1 1/2 pound large scallops
1/2 pound thin-sliced bacon
olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sriracha chili paste
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
3 avocados, sliced

season the scallops with salt/pepper, wrap in bacon and secure with tooth-picks. they can be grilled or sauteed in olive-oil/butter. either way, you'll want to use medium heat and try to keep the bacon (rather than scallops) in contact with the heating element for the majority of the cook-time. the bacon typically cooks much slower than the scallops (another option is to cook the bacon some before wrapping the scallops).

then mix the mayo, chili paste, cilantro and lime together.

place cooked scallops over sliced avocado, drizzle with chili-mayo and garnish with cilantro. probably the highest wow:effort ratio of any dish i know.

My favorite thing at TGIFriday's is the vanilla bean cheesecake. I found a recipe that tastes almost exactly like it. It takes a lot of work and it has like over 7000 calories but om nom nom it's so good!

1 1/2 cups finely crushed graham crackers
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup butter, softened
1 egg yolk, beaten
3/4 teaspoon vanilla, divided
16 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons cornstarch (or 3 T flour)
2 vanilla pod, beans removed, divided
2 cups whipping cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
4 ounces one-third less fat reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
4 ounces white chocolate baking squares, melted

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9 in springform pan with foil and spray with non-stick spray.
Mix the graham crackers with 1/4 C sugar.
Add the egg yolk, 1/4 t. vanilla, and melted butter, in that order.
Press mixture into the pan, and bake for 8 minutes (or until edges are slightly brown).
Remove and let cool.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine cream cheese, sour cream, cornstarch, and 1 C sugar, mixing until sugar dissolves. Add butter, 1/2 t vanilla, and beans from one vanilla pod, blend until smooth. Spread on crust.
Bake 30-35 minutes, cool 1 hour.
In a cold mixing bowl, beat 1 C cream until soft peaks form. Add 2 T powdered sugar, and continue beating. Place in another bowl in fridge. Without washing first bowl, beat the 1/3 less fat cream cheese in it, until fluffy. Add the white chocolate, and beat until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream from fridge; place back in fridge.
In another cold bowl, beat 1 C whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add 1 T powdered sugar, and beans from one vanilla pod beating until stiff peaks form.
Spread mousse evenly on top (cream cheese/white chocolate mixture). Refrigerate for an hour, then spread whipped cream on top. Refrigerate several hours before serving.

My grandma's famous:

BRAN BREAD

3 cups warm water (test water on wrist)
2 pkgs. dry yeast. Put the yeast in the water and stir a bit and let rise. (this takes a bit of time) It will get quite foamy.

Add--
5 T liquid shortening
5 T brown sugar
4 1/2 t salt
1 C powdered milk
1 C All bran cereal

Mix all of this a bit and then add--
4 C sifted flour
Beat at a slow speed until mixed and then at a medium to fast speed for 2 minutes.

Add --
3 to 3 1/2 more cups of flour. A bit at a time--you may have to mix the last bit by hand as the dough gets quite heavy.

Heat oven the 375 degrees. Put dough into 2 bread pans that have been greased (Pam). Put a towel over the bread and put in a warm place to raise--not the oven (Should about double in size and will take about an hour.Bake for 35 minutes. Turn out on a cooling rack and let cool before slicing.

Beyond words, like eating a sweet cloud...

Roughly ~
6oz water
3oz half half
3.5 oz Croatian Pork Liver Pate stir in (390% Vit A part of the point is the Vit A consumption)

Add any any veggies when ever, how ever...
this is enough for 4 people maybe, or a few days of variations.
Add Black-Pepper when served.

1/4 C.~ Turmeric
1.5~ tbsp Sweet Paprika
3 whole Black Cumin Seeds
2 Bay Leaf
Couple pinches Thyme-orange thyme
Half pinch Celery Seed
Half pinch Saffron

I used a whole roasted Chicken shredded and simmered all the while

I will use excess sauce to make with Rock Fish or Cod, Halibut...White Wish...

Rice or Angel Hair...Couscous on side maybe

Riesling semi sweet, cooked in or served with, Blanc de Blanc, not Chardonnay, not Savignon Blanc, south American white wines...Cabernet Sav I could actually imagine working, interestingly enough.

Insanely good for the eyes and GI, urinary tract, skin cells, repletes lipids, cleanse lungs, purifies the blood, anti inflammation - very good.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if you enjoy ‘Indian / Far East’ food but if you do then I may I suggest the following?
One main dish + two side (takes less than one hour)

Main

½ teaspoon of the following seeds - cumin,mustard, onion, coriander. Couple of crushed garlic cloves and 1 teaspoon of grated ginger and 1 teaspoon (or more depending on how hot you enjoy your food) of chili powder.

Two standard size red onions chopped up finely

Half a mug of chicken stock - a tablespoon of tomato paste / puree.

Oil / salt pepper to taste

Enough chicken/meat for two / three people (cut into mouthsize pieces)

Simply heat the oil and throw in the seeds and stir fry them for about 1 or 2 mins (until they smell nice) – then add the garlic, ginger, chilli powder, stock, onion, tomato paste (I honestly think its easier to mix the chilli, stock and tomato paste in a cup and then add it all at once). Once the onion is soft throw in your chicken. Bring to the boil and then reduce and let simmer for 5 / 10 minutes.

Sides
Bring a pan of water to the boil and then add a small chopped up cabbage (1 lb per 4 people) when your waiting for that to boil peel about 4 medium sized potatoes and chop into smallish cubes (dice size).

Once the cabbage is boiled drain (retaining the water) and keep to one side now add your potatoes to the cabbage water and add back to the heat. Once your potatoes are boiled and soft (but not falling apart) drain and keep to one side.

By this time your main dish should be ready so have a look – if its still a bit watery then leave for a few mins longer. If its done then switch off the heat and get to work on the sides.

Before serving
Cabbage – get a few tablespoons of dahl / lentils, a teaspoon of black mustard seeds and a few curry leaves (chilli to taste). Heat up a few tablespoons of oil and then stir fry the seeds / lentils – and once they have become brown then add curry leaves/chili powder and then simply pour over the cabbage and mix them (adding salt n pepper).

Potatoes – heat a few tablespoons of oil to a pan (the one used above works fine and saves washing up). Once that is smoking hot add a tablespoon of cumin seeds, a tablespoon of fresh grated ginger, fresh chili to taste and then squeeze over some lime juice (just before serving).

If you can be bothered then chop up a spring / green onion and a large red chili and sprinkle that over the sides (not really needed but looks nice).

Bearlove-- that sounds dead easy, and super tasty!

So, for Canuckian thanksgiving, I'm giving this Seitan Bourguignon a try. Since I'll be at my parents', kitchen real estate will be tight (although I'll likely be running the show there, for the most part ;)), so I'm doing it up until the braise step tonight. Basically, once it comes out of the screaming hot oven, I'll deglaze the whole thing with a bunch of wine and stock (which I'm making right now as well) and then let it cool outside before storing in the fridge overnight. Then all I have to do tomorrow is pop it in the oven for an hour, reduce the liquid if required, and boom! I'm done.

My home already smell aweseome, and I haven't even started roasting garlic for the mashed potatoes yet. I'm so psyched...

You just made my day.

:)

(the seitan bourguignon was killer, btw. Dead easy too)

Edit-- I can't believe that I forgot to link the recipe. What the hell!? Oh, and I'll be making the roasted fingerling poatoes and braised leek to use up the leftover bourguignon. Oh yeah..

i have a bit of an issue, i can't make pasta carbonara. i understand the concept of how to make. i've followed recipes and watched videos but i am doing something wrong. does anyone have any tips?

i find it fairly embarrassing that i can't cook a simple pasta dish yet i can make make more complicated meals with ease.

The egg bit is easy to curdle-- I never managed to get it quite right either. A cop out is to add a splash of demi-glace and chopped cooked bacon to an already-prepared alfredo sauce. Not quite proper, but it's what a lot of chain restaurants use for their 'carbonara'.

i have yet to find a prepared alfredo sauce that i like. most have asiago cheese in them which i can't stand.

Sorry, that should have read "already prepared". Alfredo sauce is much easier than carbonara as there are no egg yolks to curdle, and while the workaround isn't as authentic it is still super tasty. Plus, by making your own you can put whatever hard cheese in there that you like. Personally, I prefer parmigiano to asiago as well.

another chicken wing recipe

2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp onion powder
5 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 cupketchup
1 cup water
2 tbsp prepared mustard

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. In a small saucepan, melt butter or margarine. Add onion powder, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard; mix well. Dilute ketchup with water and add to saucepan mixture. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Place chicken wings in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour saucepan mixture over chicken. Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes.

i'm not too big on alfredo sauces either (they're usually way too rich for me and upset my tummy), but my mom made a mango alfredo sauce before that was super yummy. i'll have to see if i can get that recipe from her.

Last edited: