• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Recipe Thread! Part II: Electric Mixaroo

It looks and sounds good. Do you happen to know what are the nutritional facts on it? You know like foods in the market will have "serving size 1 oz, 20% calcium, 2000 calorie diet".. what will this smoothie give you a lot of, in terms of vitamins and minerals?

Tosh, I've worked it out around 375 calories, 8g fibre, 22g fat (3g saturated), around 50g of calcium - I'm not sure about percentages. It would be fairly high in sugar I'm guessing, as smoothies generally are but it's very nutritious (vit C, E, antioxidants) and high in mono-unsaturated fat so that makes up for it (if you're concerned about that sort of thing). I have it for breakfast and find it a reasonable calorie/fat intake for a meal.

I call it a heart starter ;)

Thanks for providing the nutritional info, I hope more people include it in their recipe posts. Your smoothie sounds like a taste bud starter, I'll give it a whirl and let you know thanks! :)

This isn't my recipe but a recipe I spied from a raw foodie on flickr. I've made it a couple of times and it's gorgeous ... very rich though, despite it's health benefits and you wouldn't have it often. You do have to muck around with the cocoa and agave syrup to find a balance you like (depending on whether you like a deep dark chocolate taste or a sweeter one for example).

Raw vegan chocolate mousse

One medium just ripe banana (if too ripe it might take over the taste a bit)
A scant half cup of good cocoa (if you can get fair trade use that)
Agave nectar to taste (I added 2 x 15ml tablespoons)
1/2 tspn espresso powder (I didn’t have/couldn’t find this so used organic instant coffee in tiny amount boiling water)

Blitz ingredients in a food processor. Refrigerate for a couple of hours if required (I didn’t need to do this, it was thick straight after processing).

I serve mine with blueberries when they're in season (which they are now, yay!)

Serves: 1

Last edited:
A recipe I made up:

Sweet potato hummus

a couple well-baked sweet potatoes (leave skins on for nutrition, take skins off for smoothest texture.)
many gobs of sesame tahini
several tablespoons of olive oil
sea salt
lots of cumin
onion powder
garlic powder
black pepper
optional: fresh squeezed lemon

moosh it all around with a fork.

Oh that mousse looks amazing too :eek: I've seen the banana replaced with avocado - which would be better for me as i'm giving sugar a miss right now. As for sweet potato hummus - jesus, mary and jerome that sounds wonderful!

inspired by a local restaurant, i made homemade 'fig and prosciutto' pizza last night. i used:

trader joe's wholewheat pizza dough
trader joe's fig butter
prosciutto
fontina cheese
caramelized onion

the amounts don't have to be exact - let inspiration guide you.

- flour your work surface and roll out the pizza dough

- spread a thin layer of fig butter over the whole dough (you don't have to go crazy with the amount)

- grate and sprinkle the cheese over the dough

- cut the prosciutto into bite size pieces and distribute over the pizza

- distribute the caramelized onion over the pizza (again, err on the side of light with the onion)

bake in a 425 oven for about 10 minutes.

if you can't get fontina cheese, gruyere or gouda would be a good substitute.

easy and delicious!

alasdair

I made this for lunch today and it's delicious and so easy.

NSFW:
6682092269_1472276413.jpg

Mash roughly with potato masher, one 400g tin of rinsed and drained chick peas, 30ml extra virgin olive oil, squeeze of lemon, 1 teaspoon of lemon zest, freshly ground sea salt and black pepper to taste; serve on toasted sourdough bread with a pinch of chilli flakes and some chopped continental parsley. Drizzle with extra olive oil if you like.

Tip: Find a decent brand of tinned chickpeas and stock up - I've had some truly awful ones. The right ones should be nutty and subtly flavoured. The brand I use is Amato organic if that helps anyone.
That looks absolutely delicious, thanks for sharing! Why don't you get dried beans and cook them yourself? Saves a lot of money in the long run, and there isn't as much sodium (or preservatives) as canned.

Also, question for those of you who have mashed beans before: How hard should it be? 'Cause maybe I'm just really weak or not cooking the beans long enough, but it always takes me forever and is rather difficult to mash beans... :-/

I do cook dried beans sometimes ... with the tinned beans, I always buy organic and rinse them out well so I don't think it's a problem. For quick meals, tinned beans are pretty much perfect.

Re: mashing the beans - is it chickpeas which you find hard to mash? White beans should be easy, but yeah probably not cooking them for long enough which I've done in the past. Also soaking them overnight is supposed to help, before boiling them - I tend to do this which is probably why I also use tinned ones because it's a lot more work.

^ I never soak beans. Boil, drain, and put some in the fridge and some in the freezer. :p

But yeah, maybe I'm just not cooking them long enough. Hrm. Something to look in to. As far as which types of beans I've had a hard time mashing, I've had issues with black, small red (not kidney), and chickpeas.

haha well that would make it easier. Soaking them is the worst bit! I find it hard to commit to cooking anything that long in advance ;)

I often have a hard time boiling legumes to a perfect consistency also.

^ Aside from having to remember to soak them, I don't understand what's so difficult about it. When I first started cooking beans (I mean, the very first time I cooked 'em :p) I soaked them: I put them in a pot filled with cold water and left them for about 12 hours. Drained the water, filled the pot with new water, and cooked like normal. Do you do something different?

Getting the right consistency can be tough, but what I do is boil the beans for 45 minutes, then taste-test a few. If they're not done, I continue boiling them, and sample them in five- or ten-minute increments until they're done. :)

^ It's not difficult, more time consuming and yeah, I pretty much do what you do with them. I'm more of a spontaneous cook though, I tend to throw things together at the time so tinned chickpeas etc work well with that style. I do freeze legumes when I've cooked them though so that helps.

Another recipe (I've never made these for anybody who didn't love them, they're gorgeous):

Nigella Lawson's chocohotopots

113g plus 1x15ml tablespoon unsalted butter
113g semisweet 60% dark chocolate
2 eggs
3/4 cup caster sugar
3x15ml tablespoons plain flour

Special equipment: 4 (2/3 to 1-cup capacity) ramekins

Place a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 200 degrees C. Grease the ramekins with 1 tablespoon butter.

Either in a microwave or in a bowl suspended over a pan over simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter, then set aside to cool a little.

In another bowl, mix the eggs, sugar and flour with a hand whisk and beat in the cooled butter and chocolate mixture. Divide the mixture between the 4 buttered ramekins.

Bake for about 20 minutes, by which time the tops will be cooked and cracked and the chocolate gooey underneath.

Place each ramekin on a small plate and serve. Make sure to warn people that these desserts will be very hot to touch.

Makes: 4

Cook beans in a pressure cooker = never soaking beans again! I'm really big on spur of the moment cooking, so unless I have a few different kinds of beans soaking all the time it just wouldn't work. 1.5 times the recommended pressure cooker time is the starting point that I go with for cooking most beans.