• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction The Pain Management Megathread (Chronic and Acute Pain Discussion) Version 5.0 ~ V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed because it was all I could do. I couldn't fly either as my wounds would have likely caused a blood clot. I severed an artery when my bone decided to vacate my leg so they had to harvest one from my arm etc etc. Either way I was stuck and I didn't want to get screwed by immigration, I mean they really take it seriously over there. A Dutch friend of mine overstayed a year, they threw him in jail for a few day then flew him home on a 10 year ban from the USA. I don't speak enough spanish to go to American jail!

Also it's true that oxy is really hard to get here, the reason is our healthcare isn't lobbied by rich pharma companies so you have to really need it to get it. If you go to a doctor and need something like.... An asthma inhaler, It will cost you exactly 8 pounds, which translates about 12 dollars. If you go to the doctor and need two hundred 30mg oxy or life saving cancer medication.... Exact same price. This stops the fat cats manipulating the system and destroying people's health. When a doctor prescribes oxy in America it is likely he has been taken for steak dinners and "encouraged" to sell certain brands of everything.

Because i can't work, I get mine free. The system works, I really don't understand how America can't adopt it without ruining friendships between people who argue about it. I mean fuck, if free healthcare was good enough for Jesus it should be good enough for any republican.

I managed because it was all I could do. I couldn't fly either as my wounds would have likely caused a blood clot. I severed an artery when my bone decided to vacate my leg so they had to harvest one from my arm etc etc. Either way I was stuck and I didn't want to get screwed by immigration, I mean they really take it seriously over there. A Dutch friend of mine overstayed a year, they threw him in jail for a few day then flew him home on a 10 year ban from the USA. I don't speak enough spanish to go to American jail!

Also it's true that oxy is really hard to get here, the reason is our healthcare isn't lobbied by rich pharma companies so you have to really need it to get it. If you go to a doctor and need something like.... An asthma inhaler, It will cost you exactly 8 pounds, which translates about 12 dollars. If you go to the doctor and need two hundred 30mg oxy or life saving cancer medication.... Exact same price. This stops the fat cats manipulating the system and destroying people's health. When a doctor prescribes oxy in America it is likely he has been taken for steak dinners and "encouraged" to sell certain brands of everything.

Because i can't work, I get mine free. The system works, I really don't understand how America can't adopt it without ruining friendships between people who argue about it. I mean fuck, if free healthcare was good enough for Jesus it should be good enough for any republican.
I totally agree about the healthcare, it's really flawed over here for sure.
I was finally able to watch your YouTube video, geez man that leg did not look good at all. Those medics need to carry some morphine or something for situations like that. They should've all dosed u with that garbage lol. You thrill seekers are mad man!!
U don't know enough Spanish to be in u.s jail. Rotfflmao!!!! Too funny brother... Glad things are improving for u day by day though. Get well soon!!!

While I'm not sure about US paramedics in the UK all paramedics carry morphine ampules, oramorph (oral morphine linctus), entanox (nitrous oxide inhaled gas) and ketamine.

While I don't know the exact extent of your injuries if we had found you in the UK your pain would have been adequately managed.

Also having worked in the NHS for the last 15years I completely agree with your statement about free healthcare but please remember, nothing is really free...we pay very high tax and NI in order to fund the NHS and recently our budgets have been falling and falling under the Cameron Government.

Anyway I digress, I really hope you are getting better slider, it sounds like you've been through a terrible ordeal. If I could ever be of any assistance to you please feel free to PM me.

Cliffy- how you doing mate?..haven't spoken for a while. Hope your OK

Take care everyone and please stay safe...

Hey England how's things brother? Same ol shit over here, I'm on my shit 2 weeks now using subs to maintain, could be worse I guess...
Wow I didn't know emts had all that stuff at their disposal. I wonder if it's the same over here? I could see them having morphine but making it a huge pain in the ass with endless paperwork and buerocratic nonsense thus making most emts opt against it for fear of losing their jobs or even worse going to prison. It's some crazy "freedom" we've got over here, lol.

Wow emts in the uk have ketamine??? I know it's like an animal tranquilizer or something like that, is that what it's used for or is it used for pain like to numb you up so to say? Gotta find that stuff and try it out some day, seems like a good time from what I've read.
So how have u been getting along with work and your housing situation?

I feel for all of you in chronic pain. It has to suck. Just want you to know I am thinking about you. You seem to be suporting each other in here and have good knowledge. There is plenty of help on these boards. I do hospice/palliative care. I don't know if I can add anything here or not.

Harissment I feel you so much! I almost cried reading your post because Im having the same trouble. I feel backed into a.corner. I am seriously under prescribed by my pain management doc (actually np) and it seems I'm paralyzed; stuck. I guess what I'm experiencing is pseudoaddiction. I run out of my meds early just to have a portion of the month pain free. I habe a HIGHLY stressful job that sucks my energy, patience and sanity from me and I'm also mother to a high energy 14 month old. I spend most of my time worrying about my refill and withdrawal and its just not fucking fair. My pain doc frequently screws with my appointment and Im currently.waiting nearly 7 weeks until my next appointment and was told simply to " make the meds last" I don't understand how they can mess with peoples lives and livelihoods like that! I have seriously considered seeing a.suboxone doctor but honestly..my experiences with managing my pain have been so awful that, besides not even knowing where to start, I'm also afraid of being labeled as a drug addict for the rest of my life when really I am merely seeking some sort of consistent relief from my pain and the extreme amxiety from impending withdrawal! Being able to lift and play with my daughter shouldn't be an excruciating experience. Where do we turn???? If anyome has any advice id love to consider it. My current situation is about to kill me. Thanks.for listening I'm new to BL and so grateful to have this avenue to vent and learn! I'm diagnosed with fibromyalgia, endometriosis, cervical dystonia.and depression. My current rx is 5/325 hydrocodone four times a day and I'm lucky if it lasts me 17 days. I've tried getting back on anti depressants as well after stopping for my pregnancy and find that not one of my docs takes me seriously... at my wits end.

agreed

...except I'm not quite sure about the "jesus" aspect. but that's a personal issue.

I feel for all of you in chronic pain. It has to suck. Just want you to know I am thinking about you. You seem to be suporting each other in here and have good knowledge. There is plenty of help on these boards. I do hospice/palliative care. I don't know if I can add anything here or not.

...I believe, given the line of work you are in, you would have tons of useful information and personal experiences that would be of great benefit to many of the people who visit BL(members and non-members). Please, if you feel up to it, share your knowledge with the world so that others may learn.

Last edited:
Harissment I feel you so much! I almost cried reading your post because Im having the same trouble. I feel backed into a.corner. I am seriously under prescribed by my pain management doc (actually np) and it seems I'm paralyzed; stuck. I guess what I'm experiencing is pseudoaddiction. I run out of my meds early just to have a portion of the month pain free. I habe a HIGHLY stressful job that sucks my energy, patience and sanity from me and I'm also mother to a high energy 14 month old. I spend most of my time worrying about my refill and withdrawal and its just not fucking fair. My pain doc frequently screws with my appointment and Im currently.waiting nearly 7 weeks until my next appointment and was told simply to " make the meds last" I don't understand how they can mess with peoples lives and livelihoods like that! I have seriously considered seeing a.suboxone doctor but honestly..my experiences with managing my pain have been so awful that, besides not even knowing where to start, I'm also afraid of being labeled as a drug addict for the rest of my life when really I am merely seeking some sort of consistent relief from my pain and the extreme amxiety from impending withdrawal! Being able to lift and play with my daughter shouldn't be an excruciating experience. Where do we turn???? If anyome has any advice id love to consider it. My current situation is about to kill me. Thanks.for listening I'm new to BL and so grateful to have this avenue to vent and learn! I'm diagnosed with fibromyalgia, endometriosis, cervical dystonia.and depression. My current rx is 5/325 hydrocodone four times a day and I'm lucky if it lasts me 17 days. I've tried getting back on anti depressants as well after stopping for my pregnancy and find that not one of my docs takes me seriously... at my wits end.
My question would be- where is your pain? What causes it? What makes it better? A pain assessment if u will. And are u at an actual pain clinic? Tell us more about the doctor/NP u see. Do u have insurance? I have 2 kids & endo (plus PMDD lol) so I feel for u.

My question would be- where is your pain? What causes it? What makes it better? A pain assessment if u will. And are u at an actual pain clinic? Tell us more about the doctor/NP u see. Do u have insurance? I have 2 kids & endo (plus PMDD lol) so I feel for u.
Yes, I see an np at a pain management clinic. I'm not sure why she does the things she does but its something I have learned to live with because she can cut you off any time she chooses and then, well good like finding another pain clinic once you've been dismissed from another. I started out with insurance then was laid off for a year got another job but without insuramce for another year and finally got insurance via the new laws. Where do I hurt? Everywhere. With fibro its difficult to explain but imagine your worst flu ache times ten and walking or doing ADLs is like lifting a ton of cinder blocks while you have that horrible flu aching going on. Also my neck muscles spasm constantly, kinda like a perma crick lol. And you know all about the endo... I also have pmdd which for now remains untreated. What do you do for your pmdd? Also with the fibro I nabe these episodes where painful lumps appear undernesth my skin. All over my body. It is excruciating.. I have relayed this to my pain doc my gp and my gyno and they didn't lift an eyebrow? Thanks for the reply!

^
Opiate painkillers are frequently inaffective for FMS.
Snri type anti-depressant are usually effective eg.Duloxetine or prehaps amitriptyline (tricyclic antidepressant).

If you do use an standard painkillers then opioids seem more effective for fibro then classic opiates and tramadol can be effective for FMS (it also has SNRI properties).

I have real sympathy for you jessimessi, as i have various neuropathys and know the feeling of pain that standard treatments dont touch and doctors who are only interested in pain that comes with obvious injury.

fkit.ihave112 OC's but I'm sore and unhappy, b4 the recent injury 112oc's=:)

^
Opiate painkillers are frequently inaffective for FMS.
Snri type anti-depressant are usually effective eg.Duloxetine or prehaps amitriptyline (tricyclic antidepressant).

If you do use an standard painkillers then opioids seem more effective for fibro then classic opiates and tramadol can be effective for FMS (it also has SNRI properties).

I have real sympathy for you jessimessi, as i have various neuropathys and know the feeling of pain that standard treatments dont touch and doctors who are only interested in pain that comes with obvious injury.

It's exactly what a rheumatologist would advise you ^, sound advice (+ Lyrica).

I would like to be off oxy but since a recent severe injury that will require surgery every 2 years till I die is forcing my hand. It's now the Apathy of my fkin whole right arm now 2 humerus snaps and a shoulder "anihilation" (the surgeon has just done a makeshift way of keeping the ball and socket together with about 50 million fkin screws.

The apathy, what's the point? I'm just gonna be forced to take opiates every 2 years for the surgery and 2 week recovery time IN hospital requiring heavy opiate IV pain control and a few weeks off light opiate use for rehab. Nice hey guys. This happened in April, I don't think I posted about it ITT.

Quote Originally Posted by Heizenberg View Post

I am seeking advice for chronic back pain.
I have suffered for several years and have spent tons of time and money on doctor visits, chiropractic and physical therapy.
My current doctor has prescribed many different drugs (many of them prescribed for nerve pain or muscle spasm) and none of them have helped.
He recently prescribed Tramadol and that is the first drug that actually helped to relieve the pain.
I have had friends give me a vicodin or hydrocodone occasionally and I have to say that it seems to work the best.
I asked my doctor if Vicodin would be a helpful drug for me and he said he did not want to prescribe it because it is too addicting.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of pain management and/or advice as to what helps you?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMO, any decent answer your going to get will depend on what your level of pain is. w/o that information, it's impossible to tell you what meds will help you.

When I read shit/crap like this, I want to take my little hands, reach around that doctor's neck and squeeze the living hell out of him. And I'm being nice right now damn it! With thinking like that, doctor's like that need to leave the business and go sell a car to some sap because I ain't buyin' that BS for one second!!! Did you say you won't prescribe pain medication because it might be addicting? WOW, and chronic pain isn't? That shit beats everyone of us to our knees at one point or another! Spineless, Spineless, Spineless!

This is my advice - procure another pain doc first, then see your current doc and tell him "You're fired! (in robust Donald Trump form) You spineless ass-wipe!" Remember, I'm being nice here. Go to a place that has the guts and resources to properly treat pain patients. I assure you, it'll be worth it and I'm sure you'll feel great for sticking up for what's right and proper. In all honesty, the Best of Luck!

I have suffered for several years and have spent tons of time and money on doctor visits, chiropractic and physical therapy.
My current doctor has prescribed many different drugs (many of them prescribed for nerve pain or muscle spasm) and none of them have helped.
He recently prescribed Tramadol and that is the first drug that actually helped to relieve the pain.
I have had friends give me a vicodin or hydrocodone occasionally and I have to say that it seems to work the best.
I asked my doctor if Vicodin would be a helpful drug for me and he said he did not want to prescribe it because it is too addicting.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of pain management and/or advice as to what helps you?

IMO, any decent answer your going to get will depend on what your level of pain is. w/o that information, it's impossible to tell you what meds will help you.

When I read shit/crap like this, I want to take my little hands, reach around that doctor's neck and squeeze the living hell out of him. And I'm being nice right now damn it! With thinking like that, doctor's like that need to leave the business and go sell a car to some sap because I ain't buyin' that BS for one second!!! Did you say you won't prescribe pain medication because it might be addicting? WOW, and chronic pain isn't? That shit beats everyone of us to our knees at one point or another! Spineless, Spineless, Spineless!

This is my advice - procure another pain doc first, then see your current doc and tell him "You're fired! (in robust Donald Trump form) You spineless ass-wipe!" Remember, I'm being nice here. Go to a place that has the guts and resources to properly treat pain patients. I assure you, it'll be worth it and I'm sure you'll feel great for sticking up for what's right and proper. In all honesty, the Best of Luck!

Fuck yeah, +100000000.

Had to cheat on my ridiculous 140 mgs oxycodone per day prescribed by my new doc, my old one left me cos my tolerance got too high and labelled me an addict so fk her! I get my pain tablets from 2 doctors only way I can survive at the moment.

A lot of doctors are scared of dea & are not handing out pain meds.

Anyone having chronic pain with proven mri's & xrays should receive hydrocodone right away.......

Absolutely no reason for any doctor to be ignoring the fact that their patient is suffering from chronic pain.

A lot of doctors are scared of dea & are not handing out pain meds.

Anyone having chronic pain with proven mri's & xrays should receive hydrocodone right away.......

Absolutely no reason for any doctor to be ignoring the fact that their patient is suffering from chronic pain.

You're absolutely right, they are scared of the DEA! The deal is, you prescribe to who justifiably needs it and can of course, document things (I'm not really talking about any other circumstance). The problem is that some docs don't belong in the system and that's why I can them spineless. There is no reason to deny a patient meds like that if they're justified. But of course, many still do~!

That's no different than going to a car mechanic and he says, you need a new muffler. OK, give me your muffler. Oh no! I can't do that! You'll learn to like that sound and damn if you won't get addicted to it, so no I can't fix it. Just deal with it! Sounds ridiculous, right? It fucking is damn it! Be nice, be nice. Sorry, I feel very strongly about this subject.

Way different beachbum -- as a matter of fact, that's one of the absolute worst analogies I've ever heard. How delusional are you bro?

Yes, I see an np at a pain management clinic. I'm not sure why she does the things she does but its something I have learned to live with because she can cut you off any time she chooses and then, well good like finding another pain clinic once you've been dismissed from another. I started out with insurance then was laid off for a year got another job but without insuramce for another year and finally got insurance via the new laws. Where do I hurt? Everywhere. With fibro its difficult to explain but imagine your worst flu ache times ten and walking or doing ADLs is like lifting a ton of cinder blocks while you have that horrible flu aching going on. Also my neck muscles spasm constantly, kinda like a perma crick lol. And you know all about the endo... I also have pmdd which for now remains untreated. What do you do for your pmdd? Also with the fibro I nabe these episodes where painful lumps appear undernesth my skin. All over my body. It is excruciating.. I have relayed this to my pain doc my gp and my gyno and they didn't lift an eyebrow? Thanks for the reply!
Above poster is correct. I worked with a few folks with fibro- the lump thing sounds familiar. My friend used tricyclics, ultram and Vicodin if it got bad. Many use Lyrica. Has the NP offered other choices ? Exercise and weight loss has helped the PMDD and endo so much. I was on Prozac but it made me a zombie - I didn't even realize it. Hard to exercise tho when u hurt.

Above poster is correct. I worked with a few folks with fibro- the lump thing sounds familiar. My friend used tricyclics, ultram and Vicodin if it got bad. Many use Lyrica. Has the NP offered other choices ? Exercise and weight loss has helped the PMDD and endo so much. I was on Prozac but it made me a zombie - I didn't even realize it. Hard to exercise tho when u hurt.

My doctor wanted to put me on an antidepressant for my chronic back pain & I told him I want no part of any antidepressant........he was okay with it. If he would have said that I needed to take it, I would have walked out & gone to find a new doctor.

There is absolutely no reason to prescribe a pain patient antidepressants.......Prozac & other antidepressants cause serious problems to the mind & doctors/psychiatrists could care less if you end up a walking zombie.

I see several people that take antidepressants & are not living the kind of life they want to be in. That garbage makes you worse!

Now there are people that are psychotic & the only ones that can help them are doctors giving them their bipolar meds, etc......but IMO, there are a lot of people that turn psychotic from an underlying problem mixed in with all the years of taking antidepressants, etc....

When it comes to chronic pain, for me, is that I have to be able to separate my junky desires and finding the right medication regimen only became realistic when my heart could accept using my pain meds somewhat properly.

I am no saint, but, after 3 spinal fusions I knew I had to make the meds last. I have someone who helps me with this.

When chronic pain breaks your spirit one must be able to separate meds and drugs otherwise you're headed toward permanent opiate treatment or the opposite....being underprescribed and profiled as drug seeking with the docs.

I try to take my Lyrica over a longer period to prevent zombie mode lol.

Way different beachbum -- as a matter of fact, that's one of the absolute worst analogies I've ever heard. How delusional are you bro?

That was the point! It's absolutely ridiculous and yes, as a matter of fact, I am pretty whacked but seriously pissed~!

Status
Not open for further replies.