• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

Fuck man I can't stand this shit. There is so much I need to be doing this weekend. Haven't eaten or left bed. Any priority no matter how important I'll just lay there when I'm in wd. All the extra productivity opioids added to my life is reversed with interest. I only need to hold on another 18 hours. Problem is I've never taken these fucking patches. I got a 25ug fent patch to hold my oxy habit (around 80mg) for 3 days. I cut it in half, wore the half, have been generally fine considering a cold turkey from the oxy (I'm aware Im not actually quitting, I have real nasty chronic pain and don't want to at the moment. I need to avoid severe WD).

I put the first half of the patch (non-gel, like a sticky) on about 1.5 days ago, the problem for me is timing, I don't know when this stuff peaks. I can't know. I've never taken it. But it seemed to peak after 24 hours, and I am planning on taking the other half with 24 hours to go, just to play it safe, even if it takes a while to build up again, I don't want to be spooked thinking I have nothing left and it's going to stop working. Feeling like shit is better than cold turkey, which I pretty much have a phobia of now. I just feel like if I had taken the whole thing at once, maybe I would get great relief for 3 days. But I couldn't trust that it would last 3 days on my skin when a percocet runs through my system in an hour or two.

Like sure I might be avoiding a bullet this time, but what about next time? It's good timing that it's the weekend or I'd be totally screwed. It's really not cool, and thank fuck for that patch I found even if I got ripped off. It's weak as hell to me (12.ug/hr fuck) but I'm gonna wear the other half 1.5 days into the first one. I feel like that is the best I can do right now because for me I've been successful tapering in the past with just percs. I give my pills to my girl. That's what I wanna do, get on track again. I have too much pain to stop and honestly if the patch didn't hold me through, or if I never found it to begin with I'd probably be in the hospital right now. I would have been bad because they don't like it if you run out 2 days early. In fact, you are further shunned as a cripple from society and denied that treatment. I mean, can you blame me that much for being stressed about a new job, and not counting my pills until it was too late, and with such a long delay in pay. I just can't handle the sickness at all and I would have headed straight there. And it would have fucked me in the long run. There is a lesson to be learned for me, with this experience.

At this point, if I can't get my shit under control (I'm not getting into hundreds of milligrams) then I'll have to look into other options which was a huge fear since these work so well. But once withdrawal enters the picture, especially even interdose withdrawal, it's fucking miserable hell and I wish I never started. Sure, I don't feel back pain as much now but I didn't think the withdrawal would be this terrible down the road. Wish I had never abused.

Last edited:
How to get through OPIATE WITHDRAWALS easily at home

Useful aids for opiate withdrawal symptoms: Imodium, Pain relievers, Benzos, anti-depressants, anxiolytic (anti-anxiety agent), energizer/stimulant, and anti-histamine.

Wonder drugs for Opiate Withdrawals: Gabapentin, Robaxin, Clonidine, any Benzodiazepine, Immodium, and Kratom.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me start by saying that I have suffered from addiction to opiates for 2 years now. Quitting was the hardest thing I have ever done and it took well over 20 attempts but in the end. I managed to quit. I have gathered quite a bit of knowledge of how to deal with opiate withdrawals through my exploration into many medications, exercises, and rehab/detox programs.

Below I will provide any and all medications and methods of making opiate withdrawals as comfortable as possible.

Pain Relief: On the low end of the scale, pain relievers such as Advil, Tylenol, and Aleve with help wit the aches and pains associated with opiate withdrawals. If you're someone with a little more access, I would say shoot for muscle relaxers (Skelaxin, Flexeril, Robaxin, and Soma) in order to stop the pain and muscle spasms dead in their tracks. Medications such as Gabapentin or Lyrica can be even more efficient in battling opiate withdrawal pain.

Anxiety & Depression: Without a doubt, the most effective drug for anxiety associated with opiate withdrawal anxiety are Benzos. In fact, benzodiazepines are one of the top medications used to alleviate a range of opiate withdrawal symptoms. Even going as far as reducing cravings for more opiates. Other medications useful for opiate withdrawals are barbiturates, Vistaril (which is an anti-histamine that helps with anxiety and tension), buspirone, and even Benadryl. Once again, Gabapentin and Lyrica do wonders for anxiety as well as insomnia. These two drugs provide relief in a similar manner to benzos. This can be said for Clonidine as well. Many of these will also help with the periods of insomnia which is typical to experience during opiate withdrawals. If possible, contact your doctor about beginning a daily anti-depressant and anxiety medication as soon as possible. Depression and anxiety is very common during withdrawals.

Stomach and Intestinal complications: Imodium is a definite necessity during withdrawals. Imodium is actually an opioid agonist making it closely related to the chemical compound of narcotic painkillers. Other medications, such as Bentyl or other anti-spasmodic agents will help with cramps and abdominal discomfort that is destined to happen.

Anti-histamines are a crapshoot. That's the absolutely last thing I would take for sleep. I was given phenergan once by a dickhead doctor instead of a benzo like valium, got the worst RLS ever from that, and it just makes you feel even shittier. I'd rather take trazodone.

The kratom it's a good option to consider in a opiate withdrawal, particularly red veins (borneo and bali are greats!). I could handle more barely the withdrawal symptoms of Suboxone (after a slow tapering of course) the couple weeks after day 0. But carefully, the kratom can be addictive too, but of course not comparation between this and strong opiates in my opinion.

Pregabalin and gabapentin are good meds for the anxiety or insomnia too, but I decided don't keep taking it after a while, because the side effects with pregabalin at least for me, are unbearable (dizziness, confusion, difficult to think clearly, etc.), and a benzo for the peaks of anxiety.

Anti-histamines are a crapshoot. That's the absolutely last thing I would take for sleep. I was given phenergan once by a dickhead doctor instead of a benzo like valium, got the worst RLS ever from that, and it just makes you feel even shittier. I'd rather take trazodone.

Exactly
Antihistamines will worsen the RLS

Does anybody know or have experience with Dexamethasone and opiate withdrawal? I plan on detoxing and I already have a good line of meds for it: loperamide, gabapentin, hydroxyzine, K-Tabs (potassium tablets), Weed, and DXM. I hope to get a few lorazepam but that probably won't happen. I was researching how the meds available to me affect withdrawal and when I came to dexamethasone I found this article. I don't understand it so I hope someone more knowledgeable can put it in layman's terms for me

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9296341

"Dexamethasone has been shown to inhibit opiate withdrawal, in an in vitro model. In this respect, we suggested that dexamethasone could reduce opiate withdrawal by blocking the release of prostaglandins' precursor, arachidonic acid through protein synthesis dependent-mechanisms (1). Since arachidonic acid is released by the enzyme phospholipase A2 (PLA2) in the present paper we evaluate whether dexamethasone effect may by related to inhibition of PLA2 activity. Therefore, the effect of a neutralizing anti-lipocortin-1 antibody and a polyclonal anti-type II extracellular phospholipase A2 antibody on the opiate withdrawal in vitro was considered. Following a 4 min in vitro exposure to morphine a strong contracture of guinea-pig isolated ileum was observed after the addition of naloxone. Dexamethasone at concentration of 5x10(-5) M reduces of 50% morphine withdrawal and the polyclonal anti-type II extracellular PLA2 antibody (in a dilution 1:1000) mimicked dexamethasone inhibitory effect. Incubation of the ileum preparation with a neutralizing anti-lipocortin-1 antibody (at a dilution of 1:10.000) 30 min before dexamethasone reverted the steroid effects. These results suggest that dexamethasone inhibition of opiate withdrawal is due to extracellular type II PLA2 inhibition through lipocortin-1."

I have no idea how to use this site im sorry. I'm so scared. Ok so I waited 22 hours then took 4mg suboxone under tongue today didn't do a damn thing waited a hour did 2ng more. Nothing. 4mg more 2 hours later. Got so frustrated did 4 more mg 2 hours later. No relief. Not worse but no better so hot cold sweaty it's to the point I thought about offing myself. So I did a cotton rinse after the last sub does and felt so much better maybe a bit cold but fine. Why?? Shouldn't it have blocked a stupid rinse? My pupils got small so I know it wasn't in my head. But now what do I do? When can I take more subs I want off I just can't feel so damn sick all alone I'm scared I won't make it out. Do I have to wait or did the subs stay on my receptors???? Please help alone and scared and very confused

i've had this before. sub just not working. i hate the stuff. the smell of it smells like defeat and misery to me. it is associated with that in my head anyway.

Hi all,

Being someone who has battled opiate addiction for several years and suffered through withdrawals on many occasions, I thought I would take the time to give to all of you reading some info, tips, methods, and medications useful during the withdrawal process.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opiate Withdrawal suppressant aids (Varies by accessibility): Benzodiazepines, Imodium, Pain Relievers, Muscle Relaxers, Kratom, Anti-histamines, Energy Boosters/Stimulants, and Cannabis. (If you have access to any of these, utilize them as soon as possible).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE REGIMEN

Morning: Before I began detailing an effective opiate withdrawal regimen/treatment, I will start by saying get as much sleep as you possible can. If you have the ability to take a couple days to battle through withdrawals, then do it. In the morning I would suggest starting your day with taking some type of Benzodiazepine. Valium is my go to benzo for withdrawals. Next take as much Imodium as you deem necessary. After stopping opiates, bowel moments will be coming back fast and furious. So the more Imodium, the better (four 2mg pills). Your next step should be some type of pain reliever (Advil, Tylenol, Aleve, etc). Bodily aches and pains are going to ensue for the next couple days so Pain relief is a must. If you have access, then I would suggest taking any of these pain relievers adjunct with a muscle relaxer. Robaxin, Skelaxin, Flexeril, and Soma are exceptional pain blockers for this purpose. Also, an anti-histamine will probably help with some anxiety and chills. Hydroxyzine is quite helpful during withdrawals do to its anti-anxiety, anti-nausea and vomiting properties. It also doubles as a sedative.

Afternoon: Repeat the morning regimen depending on your physical and mental state. Eat as much food as possible (this is where Marijuana will come in handy by producing an increase in appetite.

Night: This is where you do everything in your power to sedate yourself into a comfortable sleep. Withdrawals will cause a nasty cause of Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) and Insomnia. Benzos are notorious for helping with inducing sleep due to them being tranquilizers. Also, double up on the muscle relaxers and pain relievers. Trazadone, Seroquel, or Vistaril will help induce relaxation and sleepiness. Be sure to drink as much water as possible.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Benzodiazepine: This is going to be your favorite drug for the first couple days of withdrawals. Especially benzos like Klonopin, Librium, Ativan, Serax, and (my personal favorite) Valium. These will help with the constant anxiety and depression that you will experience. It also helps sedate the mental state and some physical discomforts associated with opiate withdrawals. Drugs like Valium double as a muscle relaxers which helps tremendously with the body pain that comes with withdrawals. I personally use Valium if I am expected to go through withdrawals. Valium is a long acting benzo and remains in your system to provide relief for almost an entire day from a single dose. Some people claim that benzos deliver an effect that stops opiate cravings. However, benzodiazepines are known to be as equally addictive as painkillers. So be cautious and limit your use of benzodiazepines to just to manage withdrawal symptoms (Unless you already suffer from GAD or a Panic Disorder).

Neurontin/Lyrica: These are drugs that are commonly prescribed for nerve pain and as an anti-convulsant. I personally have had an amazing experience with using Gabapentin (Neurontin). It manages the anxiety that I experience and even some of the depression. These both are drugs known for enhancing mood and even stimulating some users to the point of functioning properly throughout the entirety of the withdrawal process. Pain, anxiety, insomnia, RLS, mood stabilization, nausea, chills and hot flashes, and migraines.

Stimulants: Despite the affection it has on the bowels, coffee or other caffeine derived stimulants will provide the energy and focus that is necessary for those of you that must continue functioning as normally as possible during withdrawals. Drugs such as Adderall are especially helpful due to their unavoidable ability to cause an increase of focus and energy. CNS stimulants might even be able to produce a euphoric high powerful enough to numb the aspect of opiate withdrawals.

Imodium (Loperamide): This helps tremendously during the worst of the gastrointestinal problems. I recommend you ignore the directions entirely and take however many Imodium that is needed. At some points I have even taken up to 8 loperamide at a time. Being an opioid agonist, Imodium is a well cultivated weapon for battling opiate withdrawals.

Pain Relievers/Muscle Relaxers: These are more important than you think. Opiates act as pain relief in your body, so when this chemical reaction is suddenly stopped, then all pain and discomfort comes rushing back in. In my experience, muscle spasms are very common, and even more so experiencing pain is unavoidable. I find that at the right dosage (600-1000mg) of Aleve, Advil, Ibuprofen, etc all produce a similar effect. But even more important is there use in adjunct with muscle relaxers. These are the key to getting a body calmness in order to induce sleep (which will be difficult).

Krater: *IMPORTANT* This will be your absolute best relief of any option offered above. In short, Kratom is a plant conceived in Asia and is known to produce effects similar to opioids. Kratom will help suppress the cravings, gastrointestinal problems, pain, mental discomfort, and insomnia that one will suffer throughout this horrible process. Call your local pipe/smoke shops and find out where the nearest Kratom is being sold. It can be cheaply and easily acquired. I cannot recommend this enough. I am 80% sure that if you introduce yourself to kratom during your withdrawals, you will be forever changed.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

I hope for those of you reading and actually absorbing the tips and information I provided that you’ll find relief from this.

I would love to hear of your stories and experiences using any of the medications, tips, regimens, and methods that I have gone through myself.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Anti-histamines and a couple of the antipsychotics/mood stabilizers you mentioned like Benadryl, trazadone, and seraquel all have made the RLS worse while I am stuck in withdrawal. Absolute torture.

The benzos I can vouch for, however, and I only use them in the occasion that I am suffering at night in withdrawal, so I can avoid addiction to those as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3480566/
Avoid Medication That May Enhance RLS:

Antihistamines

Due to their ease of availability, this is 1 of the most common classes of drugs that is bothersome to patients with RLS. There is no medical literature to substantiate this association, but extensive clinical experience supports this effect. These drugs are prevalent in OTC sleeping pills (diphenhydramine, doxylamine) and OTC cold remedies (often in combination with other drugs, which makes their presence even less obvious). Alternatives to their use include the newer second generation H1 blockers (loratadine, fexofenadine, desloratadine, and possibly cetirizine) that do not cross the blood-brain barrier and thus do not worsen RLS symptoms.

Anti-Nausea and Anti-Emetic Drugs

Many anti-nausea drugs (trimethobenzamide, prochlorperazine, promethazine, hydroxyzine, meclizine, and metoclopramide) block the dopamine system and thus may worsen RLS [56]. Alternatives include the newer selective 5-HT3 receptor antagonists (granisetron hydrochloride, ondansetron hydrochloride), which do not bind to the dopamine receptors [57], and the peripherally acting drug domperidone (not available in the United States [U.S.]), which does not cross the blood-brain barrier and does not affect RLS [58].

Antidepressant Medications

Clinical experience combined with studies in the literature have found that antidepressant drugs, such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (such as paroxetine [59], sertraline [60], the tetraclycic antidepressant mirtazapine [61, 62], and the SNRI venlafaxine [63]) aggravate RLS patients. A recent study [64] that prospectively followed 271 patients who were started on second-generation antidepressants (fluoxetine, paroxetine, citalopram, sertraline, escitalopram, venlafaxine, duloxetine, reboxetine, and mirtazapine) for new onset of RLS symptoms or exacerbation of existing symptoms during the course of 1 year found that 9 % of patients reported RLS problems due to their antidepressant. Mirtazapine causes worsening the most frequently at 28 %, and no problems were noted with reboxetine, whereas the other antidepressants had RLS side effects rates of 5 to 10 %. The RLS problems tended to occur within a few days of starting the medication. In a recent article [65], a critical review of the literature on the effect of drugs on RLS and PLM found that the strongest evidence available for antidepressant-induced RLS for escitalopram, fluoxetine, and mirtazapine and the strongest evidence for antidepressant-induced PLM for citalopram, fluoxetine, paroxetine, sertraline, and venlafaxine, but not for bupropion.

The older tricyclic antidepressants also tend to intensify RLS and PLM [66], but clinical experience suggests that the secondary amine tricyclic antidepressants (desipramine, nortriptyline) may have less of an effect on RLS. Other alternatives that do not worsen RLS include bupropion and trazodone. In fact, there are anecdotal case reports [67, 68] for bupropion relieving RLS symptoms and 1 double-blinded, controlled study [69] that demonstrated a statistically significant improvement of RLS with bupropion at 3 weeks, but not at 6 weeks. In clinical practice, a few patients may find that bupropion helps their RLS, but most just notice that it does not worsen their symptoms.

Despite their exacerbating effect on RLS, antidepressant medications should be continued when they are necessary for severe depression or anxiety, and instead additional RLS treatment should be considered.

Neuroleptic Medications

Many of the drugs in this class decrease dopamine neurotransmission [70], which has been postulated as the reason for their worsening of RLS symptoms. These drugs are well known for causing akathisia, which shares many of the clinical features of RLS [71] and is thought to be derived from similar mechanisms. There are several articles supporting the RLS exacerbating effects of neuroleptic drugs, including olanzapine [72], risperidone and haloperidol [73], and lithium [74]. In clinical practice, exacerbation of RLS by neuroleptic medications is a common occurrence, and when these drugs are used to treat serious psychiatric conditions, it is advisable to continue these drugs and rather step up the RLS treatment as needed.

That article says trazadone doesn't seem to exacerbate RLS, but when I take it, whether in WD or not, it seems to happen to me. Strange. All the other stuff is spot on tho. Maybe it's just me, and the way I was dozing the trazadone. I dunno... Heh.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5457676_trazodone-cause-restless-legs-syndrome.html
For some people, trazodone actually even decreases RLS symptoms. This could be because it is effective for periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD), a condition that many RLS sufferers share. By reducing PLMD incidents, trazodone may allow for more restlful sleep. That means that RLS patients are less frequently overtired during the day, resulting in decreased symptoms.

Other sufferers report that trazodone has the opposite effect, increasing RLS symptoms and causing next-day drowsiness.
Looks like you're one of the unlucky ones

IIRC, the last time I took BENEDRYL, I was on BUPE 6mg/day, and GABAPENTIN 2400mg/day. I dosed one 50mg gel cap DIPHENHYDRAMINE, and it straight knocked me out. I guess at that time the DOPAMINE in my system was properly balanced, and the BENADRYL worked the way it was supposed to correct? Most if the time, BENADRYL, whether I am in OPIATE withdrawal or not will give me RLS.

I just kicked a H habit, it'll be 1 week clean tomorrow. Spent a lot of time laying down reading this thread. I'm surprised how many people think Kratom has opiates. Kratom comes from the coffee family.

I used kratom, dxm, NYquil and adderal. Kratom and adderal for the first 2 days only. Withdrawals weren't bad at all. Main thing was I had no energy at all for about 4 days and my heart rate was up. Had absolutely no RLS (for me that's the worst.. drives me crazy) no diarrhea, no anxiety, no aces. Minimal sweating and goosebumps.

It's been on and off since November and turned into daily for the last 2-3 months. Haven't had any cravings what so ever, I was actually with someone who was smoking yesterday and it didnt even cross my mind to do it but than again I also never thought H was all that special to begin with. Nothing compared to the high of mdma (now that is something I used to crave back in the days.. nothing comes close to mdma, for me).

I hate this drawn out post-acute period between days 3-whatever. Every morning I wake up feeling like complete shit and end up dosing my daily neurontin earlier than I'd like.

Anybody else noticed that actually falling asleep is a curse sometimes, because it feels like it sets me back withdrawal-wise and I wake up feeling shitty, although it has its own distinct constellation of symptoms. I just feel cloudy in the head and shitty.