• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction The Official Bluelight Smoking Cessation Thread v. Let's quit the cancer

^Good for you Survival0200 :)

I am really having a hard time with trying to quit smoking. My cigarette cravings have gone way up since I've greatly reduced my methadone dose. The only reasons I really want to quit smoking are: a) I feel like it's getting out of control and I'm smoking compulsively without even really enjoying it, and b) my mouth freaking hurts a lot and I'm worried it's from smoking (not that it seems to feel any better when I smoke less though :(). I'm actually really worried about my mouth, it has never felt this way before and my entire mouth and tongue have been hurting a lot for the past few weeks. Anyway, I guess I just need some support and advice please :)

I don't want to sound like a dick but maybe you'rere having a really hard time quitting because you are stressing out about it... don't worry I've been there I used to overthink everything and would be filled with rushes of anxiety when I thought about smoking and then would double my anxiety on the day I quit which isn't a good way to start. Just chill... grab a few cigarettes, start saying no a few times a day (break the cycle of lighting up impulsively), then eventually when you feel like you are in control of your emotions and you feel like you are ready, go for it. That's how I managed but I'm still early days so maybe take what I'm saying with a grain until I stack some serious time under my belt.

For anyone who enjoys the way that drugs sharpen the perceptions and manifest the true beauty of existence, giving up smoking is a *must*. I say this because you will not be fully aware of just how much smoking has dumbed your senses right down. Your sense of taste is dumbed, your smell is dumbed, your mental faculties are dumbed. Your perception of the world is greyed. You spend your whole life in constant, anxious, 30 minute withdrawal periods from a drug that has done nothing but dumbed down your whole sense of this beautiful world. And remember: smoking doesn't calm stresses, it gives you stress, then it convinces you that it's there to solve it.

This is honestly one of the main reasons I quit and I already feel a lot sharper than I did before (well a lot more energetic but it's hard to focus so I can't tell if I have greater mental clarity). I am still feel a bit of the craving anxiety but man when those periods fade I feel amazing, like a general feeling like everything's going to be alright. I never really appreciated my sense of smell before but when you get it back, it gives walking around another dimension, it enhances the way I experience life.

Feels good.

has anyone had success with bupropion or chantix? i feel bupropion makes me want to smoke more...

I almost managed half a year without cigarettes, mainly because I've been in withdrawal from opiates and benzos so just getting out the front door to have a cigarette seemed like too much of hassle. I've also felt so damn horrible that not being without nicotine seemed like the least of my problems. I've started to feel a little bit better lately and went to visit my friend and his wife who probably go through about 10 packs of cigarrettes a day. Of course I started smoking again while staying there for a week. I told myself I shouldn't continue smoking when I got home but have still found myself buying a pack of cigarettes occasionaly since then.

I have smoked cigarettes since I was 16, but I have never really felt "addicted" to it. I do not experience any kind of withdrawal from not having a cigarette, I never have. I like to smoke cigarettes, but I do not have to do so every day. Sometimes I will smoke 1-2packs a day but mostly I smoke 1 pack each week. I know it is not good, but it's not really alot of cigarettes either. I guess the problem is that I do not really see a problem. It isn't something I can't afford and it isn't something I really consider to be a problem since I could just as well go without cigarettes if I wanted to. The problem is that I do not really want to. How do I solve this?

I don't want to sound like a dick but maybe you'rere having a really hard time quitting because you are stressing out about it... don't worry I've been there I used to overthink everything and would be filled with rushes of anxiety when I thought about smoking and then would double my anxiety on the day I quit which isn't a good way to start. Just chill... grab a few cigarettes, start saying no a few times a day (break the cycle of lighting up impulsively), then eventually when you feel like you are in control of your emotions and you feel like you are ready, go for it. That's how I managed but I'm still early days so maybe take what I'm saying with a grain until I stack some serious time under my belt.

You don't sound like a dick. Mental stuff definitely makes a difference. Although sometimes it's easier said than done to not stress about things. I have a lot on my plate right now and my doctor actually said it was best if I try to work on the other things and not worry about quitting smoking right now. I'm just going to do what you suggested about trying to be more mindful about smoking and choose to not smoke/postpone a few cigarettes a day, the concept of learning that I don't have to act on a craving automatically.

I have smoked cigarettes since I was 16, but I have never really felt "addicted" to it. I do not experience any kind of withdrawal from not having a cigarette, I never have. I like to smoke cigarettes, but I do not have to do so every day. Sometimes I will smoke 1-2packs a day but mostly I smoke 1 pack each week. I know it is not good, but it's not really alot of cigarettes either. I guess the problem is that I do not really see a problem. It isn't something I can't afford and it isn't something I really consider to be a problem since I could just as well go without cigarettes if I wanted to. The problem is that I do not really want to. How do I solve this?
That's what I was like for a few years when I started smoking. Now I am very addicted. Don't assume you will always be able to avoid dependence. It's much easier if you quit now, or at least strictly limit your use so it doesn't turn into a bigger problem. As for not wanting to quit, I don't know how to solve that unfortunately, I have the same problem most of the time. I guess you could consider it from a rational perspective of why it would be a good idea.

Cold turkey from my half a pack a day habit (4+ years). Almost done with the second day, 0 smokes thus far. Wish me luck.

It's like my tenth try, but I think I've got it this time!

We got it this time! This is like, my 1,111th time quitting. I have been averaging a couple cigarettes a week, still working on it. I have less and less desire to smoke with every passing day.

I'm trying really hard to quit smoking but I find it rather easy to just not smoke, UNTIL I am around people who are also smoking. It makes me nuts, but I have to get over the psychological part of just being around other smokers. It really makes me nuts. If it weren't for that, I think it would be fairly easy for me to give it up. :(

1 pack+ a day smoker for 15 years, and I just quit cold turkey in the end of June. 1st day cravings were horrible as I was detoxing, but haven't had a craving since. I've really didn't feel much different for the first 45 days or so, but after that things have changed a lot. I'd say the increased appetite was the worst thing though, I put on 20 lbs that I'm trying to work off now. My sense of smell is finally starting to come back little by little, which sucks, because I'm finding out that the person I share an office at work with really stinks :(

Its interesting how some people can quit smoking with no trouble(like me unless im in a social setting or drinking but i can still resist) and some people just can not quit even with aids. I smoked for 10 years then quit like it was nothing, but try to take away drugs from me...after about a few weeks of no drugs id kill myself. id be that bored.

Regarding Chantix:
I have a rx for both lorazepam 2mg and norco 10/325 (hydrocodone 10mg/acetaminophen 325mg)
I recently started taking Chantix & have noticed that the aforementioned medicines no longer work.
I would like to know is Chantix is an opiate antagonist, & if so, how long does the opiate antagonist effect continue after you stop taking Chantix?
Thanks very much
—Issokay

Regarding Chantix:
I have a rx for both lorazepam 2mg and norco 10/325 (hydrocodone 10mg/acetaminophen 325mg)
I recently started taking Chantix & have noticed that the aforementioned medicines no longer work.
I would like to know is Chantix is an opiate antagonist, & if so, how long does the opiate antagonist effect continue after you stop taking Chantix?
Thanks very much
—Issokay

There should be no interactions as varenicline is not an opioid nor benzodiazepine antagonist. It acts as a nicotine receptor agonist. What do you actually mean medicines "not working"?

There should be no interactions as varenicline is not an opioid nor benzodiazepine antagonist. It acts as a nicotine receptor agonist. What do you actually mean medicines "not working"?

Well, I mean that 1) I'm not getting pain relief, & 2) the “euphoric” feeling is also gone. I just took one each of my lorazepam & norco, so maybe last night was just a fluke or something, I'll come back in a couple hours to post about whether it is still not working. I called a pharmacist a few minutes ago & she said that there aren't any interactions noted in two databases she checked. If my lorazepam isn't working that's a greater risk because I can have convulsions/seizures if I go more than two or three days without taking it.
Thanks for your response, cook.

Champix is saving met apout 8$

has anyone had success with bupropion or chantix? i feel bupropion makes me want to smoke more...

I used champix (chantix) to quit over 8 years of heavy smoking succesfully, before quitting I was smoking between 10-25 cigarettes a day.
I have one important remark ; I don't think it should be used as a relapse prevention but rather for the first 72-140 hours of intense craving that ensues after putting out one's last cigarette (have the last one at night if if possible)

I used champix (chantix) to quit over 8 years of heavy smoking succesfully, before quitting I was smoking between 10-25 cigarettes a day.
I have one important remark ; I don't think it should be used as a relapse prevention but rather for the first 72-140 hours of intense craving that ensues after putting out one's last cigarette (have the last one at night if if possible)

Did you notice any mood changes in yourself? My girlfriends brother tried that stuff and became incredibly irritable, angry, even violent at times.. so he had to stop taking it. Hah.

I personally have used e-cigs to help me quit and it worked extremely well.

I would really like this thread to stay on subject:
Regarding Chantix:
Thanks very much
—Issokay

Did you notice any mood changes in yourself? My girlfriends brother tried that stuff and became incredibly irritable, angry, even violent at times.. so he had to stop taking it. Hah.

I personally have used e-cigs to help me quit and it worked extremely well.

Did he also stop smoking coincidentally cause those are the typical emotional states for someone with a strong craving for Nicotine

/ Sarcasm Mode.

No really the only mental side-effects that could possibly have fazed me would be attempted suicide and none of that here.

Just wanted to drop by and wish everyone all the very best with their efforts to quit the smokes!

I've successfully quit nicotine :) I want to encourage everyone else out there to do the same! It's never too late.

^ Great news to hear sir! I can say for sure that you've done better than me. I likely give it another try at some point here before too long. Right now, I suppose I'm just happy to be clean right now, aside for Rx'd meds and the occasional drinking.

Smoking is so destructive though, I really do wish I had the resolve you do. I'll get there eventually I suppose.

I've successfully quit nicotine :) I want to encourage everyone else out there to do the same! It's never too late.

In a few years you can join the clean lung club. ;)

I would really like this thread to stay on subject:
Regarding Chantix:
Thanks very much
—Issokay

My guess: you're not feeling well from coming off of nicotine, as varenicline (chantix) is only a partial agonist.

Your lorazepam and norcos are still working, you're just not feeling the same because you're still in the acute withdrawal phase.

In a few days/weeks, you'll be back to feeling the lorazepam/norcos just as you should.

Smoking is so destructive though, I really do wish I had the resolve you do. I'll get there eventually I suppose.

I'm sure you will. It doesn't hurt to cut back before quitting either. :)