• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the nfl 11-12 playoff picture prediction thread

Alex Smith is a Top-10 QB in passer rating this season.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating

His YPG is pretty low but he has the least interceptions of any QB in the league (5) and has started every game. The 49ers are #1 in the league in takeaways and Alex Smith is a big part of that. Also, His O-line is very unreliable (gave up 18 sacks over last 3 games before this week). If you look at Smiths career up until this year he had had some of the best redzone statistics in the league and his biggest problem was moving the ball between the 20's. This year it is completely the opposite, he is money between the 20's and total failure in the redzone.

It would be nice if the 49ers had a QB that was a superstar like the top 5 or 10 guys, but since they dont have that he will do for a few years. Harbaugh is a quarterback coach so im sure he will do what it takes to make sure we aren't getting killed at the QB position like we have been for the past 5 years. I wouldn't trade Alex smith for a different QB other than the top 15 guys in the league.

if the 49ers had better than a mediocre-at-best QB, they would be the scariest team in the league this year

looks like I was wrong about Tennessee making the 6th seed. they had the easiest schedule, but fucking blew it to lame competition

I really want the Bengals to beat Baltimore come Sunday. not only do the Steelers get a first-round bye, but that would also mean that the NY Jets get to back into the playoffs - and I sincerely feel like Cinci deserves it far much more than them

if the 49ers had better than a mediocre-at-best QB, they would be the scariest team in the league this year

You could say the same about the Broncos.

axl said:
I really want the Bengals to beat Baltimore come Sunday. not only do the Steelers get a first-round bye, but that would also mean that the NY Jets get to back into the playoffs - and I sincerely feel like Cinci deserves it far much more than them

I thought that the Jets need way more than to win and Cinci to lose to see a playoff berth. I think they need 3 teams plus either KC or Oak to lose.

The Jets have to win, the Bengals have to lose, Titans have to lose, and the Raiders or Broncos have to lose for them to get there.

This is one of the more interesting week 17s that I can remember.

NFL2012Bracket-Giants.jpg

Steelers, Bengals, Falcons and Saints advance to divisional round.

Last edited:
i'm surprised this never took off. here are my predictions for this week:

wild-card round
det @ no
cin @ hou
pit @ den
atl @ nyg

alasdair

det @ no
cin @ hou
pit @ den
atl @ nyg

The Bengals/Texans may be the closest game, although I think the Giants aren't going to be far behind Atlanta. I'd like to see Denver at least put up a fight, for the sake of Christianity. I don't think that the Detroit defense can hold the Saints to few enough points to beat them.

^ building on your week 17 victory? welcome!

these should all be great games in their own way but i think det @ no is the game of the week. the saints defense is just marginally better that the packers defense so it shoulg be another firestorm like det @ gb.

i wonder if the 'best wr corp in football' can score a touchdown against denver - they haven't scored a touchdown in 3 weeks (mind you they were playing powerhouse teams like st. louis and cleveland :) )

alasdair

Im picking pit to win this week, but I think its very possible that they lose. Remember the KC game? They almost lost the the Palco-led chiefs on the road. Denver has a good DEF and the Steelers have not been impressing me on offense lately.

And no way do they have the best WR corp in football. Antonio Brown is their only complete receiver. Wallace, while being a FF monster, is a one trick pony. He makes most of his yardage on long go-routes and doesn't excel at anything else.

I predict the Saints will blow out the Lions in the Dome, although I hope im wrong about that. Id love for the 49ers to play the lions at home in the divisional round.

I think ATL@NYG is the game of the week. Both these teams have a shot at going all the way.

And I dont think it matters who wins the CIN@HOU game, whoever does will get their shit packed by the Ravens in the divisional round.

Im picking pit to win this week, but I think its very possible that they lose.
i tend to agree. denver's defense has looked pretty good and 3 of pit's 4 loses came on the road.
And no way do they have the best WR corp in football.
not only do i agree with you, it's a simple matter of fact. :)

paging axl blaze...
I think ATL@NYG is the game of the week. Both these teams have a shot at going all the way.
that's bold. i mean, you can argue that, at this stage, any team could go all the way but can you see the giants beating the packers? the saints?
And I dont think it matters who wins the CIN@HOU game, whoever does will get their shit packed by the Ravens in the divisional round.
indeed.

alasdair

that's bold. i mean, you can argue that, at this stage, any team could go all the way but can you see the giants beating the packers? the sain

Well the Giants took the packers to the buzzer a few weeks ago, and Atlanta has been hot recently. Both teams have a good front 7 and can score a lot of points.

Also, Rodgers has looked more human recently with Jennings out and his line banged up.

Yes the packers nearly went undefeated, but they kind of remind me of the Falcons of last year. They ended the season with a great record and the #1 seed, but many of those games were closer than people remember and were against teams that they were heavily favored to beat. The Falcons ended up losing to a hot team in the divisional round, the same thing could easily end the season for the packers.

The winner of ATL@NYG will face the packers in the divisional round, then the winner of the NO@SF (yes im writing off the lions). Seems plausible that they could go all the way to me.

And no way do they have the best WR corp in football.

Hines Ward catches his milestone 1, 000th pass of his career, while Mike Wallace placed one of the best all-time seasons as a NFL WR via extending his Consecutive 100 yd-Game Streak, while Antonio Brown became the first player in NFL history to notch up 1, 000 yds receiving and a 1, 000 yds in return yardage

and Care says that Antonio Brown was the only complete WR. since you care so much about the Pro Bowl, it totally contradicts you here - Brown was picked up only as a kick returner and Wallace only as a WR

the reason why the Steelers blew by the Patriots earlier in the season (despite switching their defensive scheme from zone-blitz to man-to-man) is because the Patriots have no one defense to stop this crippling cadre of a WR corps

but as they say, let's agree to disagree

Its not certain yet though. If the Bengals beat Houston, then the Ravens have to play the Steelers after they beat Denver.

if Houston wins then they get a trip to the Ravens instead

Hines Ward catches his milestone 1, 000th pass of his career, while Mike Wallace placed one of the best all-time seasons as a NFL WR via extending his Consecutive 100 yd-Game Streak, while Antonio Brown became the first player in NFL history to notch up 1, 000 yds receiving and a 1, 000 yds in return yardage

and Care says that Antonio Brown was the only complete WR. since you care so much about the Pro Bowl, it totally contradicts you here - Brown was picked up only as a kick returner and Wallace only as a WR

the reason why the Steelers blew by the Patriots earlier in the season (despite switching their defensive scheme from zone-blitz to man-to-man) is because the Patriots have no one defense to stop this crippling cadre of a WR corps

but as they say, let's agree to disagree
axl, your "patriots d sucks" defense is like a broken record. everybody knows the patriots d is far from great but you're basically saying that your best-wr-corp-in-football can blow by a poor defense? woop-do-do! i should hope so.

they haven't caught a touchdown in 3 weeks! you're not even mildly concerned? :)

alasdair

neither the patriots or the steelers are going to the superbowl

even if they play each other in the afc championship

wild-card round
det @ no
cin @ hou
pit @ den
atl @ nyg

Falcons and Steelers having to play away with much better records. The Div champs have to play at home rule really needs to be looked at IMO. I think its going to be the downfall of the Falcons this week unfortunately.

I think the Steelers could turn up this week with no WR's and me playing QB and they'll still beat the Broncos. Timmy will do fuck all option wise, and will have at least 4 INTs, 2 returned for TDs when he airs it out, game over, Amen to that.

Lions should score a few TDs but Brees should have a field day against the Lions secondary.

^ sadly, i tend to agree with you. the patriots offense is impressive but their leaky defense is going to be a liability once the playoff intensity steps up. that said, the defense looked better the longer this season went on - perhaps they've timed it just right.

the pats can go down 21 points and come storming back with 49 unanswered points so, yet again, anything can happen.

the steelers? i agree with you there too. the best-wr-corp-in-football hasn't caught a touchdown in 3 weeks, roethlisberger is limited in practice and mendenhall is done.

the nfc looks awful good this season...

alasdair