• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the nfl 11-12 playoff picture prediction thread

^ RB's dont usually get the nod for MVP unless they are having a truly monster year, the likes of which we haven't seen since LT, which was also in a time when passing was less prevalent. Quarterback is the most important position in the league and therefore gets the biggest advantage when considering MVP.

Im a huge fan of beast RB's like AP, McFadden, Foster ect but they arent able to help their team win like QB can these days. I dont we will see any RB's get league MVP until that changes.

I think a former guy in your beloved NFC West in Shaun Alexander will respectfully disagree with that statement ;)

and yeah, I think it's not because of some anti-RB bias but more because the NFL is increasingly a more QB-driven league. leaps and bounds in this direction have been taken since Alexander, most likely because Roger Goodell is fagging up the league

well, not much interest in this but let's roll with it. nobody really had any comments on the format so i propose we do it stage by stage. let's post our regular season picks (pick division winners and 2 wild cards - no seedings necessary unless you want extra bragging rights). picks for this round close on thursday december 1st by the start of the phi @ sea game.

afc
afc east: patriots
afc south: texans
afc north: ravens
afc west: raiders
afc wildcard: steelers
afc wildcard: jets

nfc
nfc north: packers
nfc west: 49ers
nfc south: saints
nfc east: cowboys
nfc wildcard: falcons
nfc wildcard: lions

alasdair

Last edited:
AFC
Afc East: Patriots
Afc North: Ravens
Afc West: Raiders
Afc South: Texans
Wildcards: Steelers & Broncos

NFC
Nfc North: Packers
Nfc West: 49ers
Nfc South: Saints
Nfc East: Cowboys
Wildcards: Falcons & Bears

Last edited:
AFC
Afc North: Ravens
Afc East: Patriots
Afc South: Texans
Afc West: Broncos
Wildcards: Steelers & Jets

NFC
Nfc North: Packers
Nfc West: 49ers
Nfc South: Saints
Nfc East: Giants
Wildcards: Falcons & Lions

Last edited:
^giants finishing above the 49ers in the NFC is pretty unlikely considering their schedules the rest of the way.

well, this didn't really gain any traction. i'm surprised but looks like it's done...

alasdair

here are my in-depth NFL Playoff Predictions (I wanted to wait at least 3 weeks in to play):

AFC
First Round Byes

1. Baltimore (13-3)
2. New England (13-3)

Wild Card Games
3. Houston (11-5) VS 6. Tennessee (10-6)
4. Denver (10-6) VS 5. Pittsburgh (13-3)

NFC
First Round Byes

1. Green Bay (16-0)
2. New Orleans (13-3)

Wild Card Games
3. San Fran (12-4) VS 6. Detroit (10-6)
4. NY Giants (10-6) VS 5. Atlanta (10-6)

AFC Wild Card Outcome: 5. Pittsburgh over 4. Denver; 3. Houston over 6. Tennessee

NFC Wild Card Outcome: 3. San Fran over 6. Detroit; 5. Atlanta over 4. NY Giants

let's get some more people to play!!

NFL teams to almost get in, according to me:
Cinci, Dallas, Oakland, Chicago all at 9-7. and the Jets miss at 10-6

Last edited:
I'm confident in my playoff predictions because I went through the last couple weeks and got the results through that. I could be wrong on a couple teams, like the Titans could do it but their QB situation is shaky. but I feel like my playoff pics are overall very probable

any of you see any glaring chinks in my Spartan armor??

NO over SF and BAL over PIT stand out as things that could be wrong. And as much as I hate to say it the cowboys are still alive.

big game coming up, concerning my Playoff Prognostication, Care. between my Steelers and your 49ers. this game doesn't mean much for Pitt, as it seems like they are just going to be the most dangerous 5th Seed Ever this year, but if your Niners lose than NFC foe New Orleans usurps that Second Round Bye. but yeah, for my Playoff Prediction to be 100 percent correct, I need the Niners to lose this upcoming game

I know I've talked a lot of shit, but I'm so excited for a (finally) TIGHT MNF game! congrats to your team being good (oh wait, do you have two teams? the Seahawks or something?). anyways, the 49ers are legendary and ever since the 90s pro footbaw NEEDS a team like the Niners to be good!

plus I like to watch two epic defenses duke it out. you're damn lucky Harrison is fined for that hit, and LaMarr Woodley is out. there goes the pass-rush against Alex Smith :( :( :(

Actually Axl that 49er game did mean alot. If we could have won and won our last 2 we would have been the #1 seed. Now odds are the Pats will get it and we will have to play 3 games instead of 2 to get to SB #9. We will beat the Niners in the SB come Feb. You heard it here first. GO STEELERS!!!!

Actually Axl that 49er game did mean alot. If we could have won and won our last 2 we would have been the #1 seed. Now odds are the Pats will get it and we will have to play 3 games instead of 2 to get to SB #9. We will beat the Niners in the SB come Feb. You heard it here first. GO STEELERS!!!!

cant see 49ers making superbowl.

^ Why not?

If they win today they've pretty much got the 2nd seed no matter what the saints do. And if you've been watching their games so far this season you know they play really well at home. The packers have shown that they aren't invincible, I think its plausible that the Niners host the NFC championship game this year.

i dont think they can beat any of the teams in NFC playoffs besides lions and giants. of course its just my opinion tho so it doesnt mean they cant win.

^ Why not?

If they win today they've pretty much got the 2nd seed no matter what the saints do. And if you've been watching their games so far this season you know they play really well at home. The packers have shown that they aren't invincible, I think its plausible that the Niners host the NFC championship game this year.

I like the 9ers this year, but I can see why people don't expect them to be in the superbowl.

I'm not sure if many teams gave their all against them, partially because they underestimated them so were unprepared.

You also have to consider that most teams are just getting used to the style of the Jim Harbaugh coached 9ers, making every game that they play lead to more tape that the opponent has to go by when preparing to play them again. It's like how the Bills were doing good early in the season because their opponents didn't know what to expect at first since they have only had their coach since 2010. The 49ers are clearly a way better team than the Bills, but I was just making a point.

Last edited:
plus Alex Smith sucks. the modern NFL is a passing league. when Smith has the ball, the field shrinks to about only 10-30 yards in terms of potential pass plays. in today's NFL a Coach must be able to give a QB the keys to the car to win the game

that being said, I could see the 49ers possibly in the SB. for sure in the NFC Championship, just by riding on their defense and run game alone. I just think them winning the SB ain't goin' to happen