The Music Social Gig v. I'll Trade You My Shirt For A Grilled Cheese

Well fuck, im in Atlanta now
Guess im going to have to settle for hanging out with chicken

I actually might be coming to st Pete on sunday, ill call u in a little bit bbgurl

ya know, this got me thinking. lot's of people don't get phish, which i understand. but, man, they're missing out.

maybe start here, with some acoustic action. ignore the stupid barber shop quartet shit in the beginning (although i like it cuz i'm a phish homer). anyway, maybe this will give you a better understanding of song structure and stuff, plus it's super mellow and there are retarded kids on stage and Sarah McLachlan and Neil Young come out at the end. i was at these shows, such a good time. bridge school benefit at shoreline in 98 mmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannn.

Sunday, 10/18/1998
Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA

Set 1: Hello My Baby, Billy Breathes[1], Piper[1], Roggae[1], Loving Cup[1], Albuquerque[1], The Old Home Place[2], Guyute[1], Brian and Robert[1], Sad Lisa[3], Four Strong Winds[4], I Shall Be Released[4]

[1] Acoustic.
[2] Acoustic; Mike on banjo, Page on acoustic bass.
[3] Phish debut; acoustic; Sarah McLachlan on guitar and vocals.
[4] Phish debut; acoustic; Sarah McLachlan and Neil Young on guitar and vocals and Kevin Hearn on accordion.

One thing I've noticed at fests this summer is that hats and pins have become way more super popular than years ago
It's like every little raver fuck or douche wookie in existence has or is selling a multitude of different kind of pins and what not

Don't get me wrong, I think a bunch are pretty cool, but when every other person you see has there whole hat covered with gd pins it gets kinda played out looking imo, esp when I didn't even hear any dead, they bump trap music constantly

Idk if I'm being a pretentious jaded hipster or not

One thing I've noticed at fests this summer is that hats and pins have become way more super popular than years ago
It's like every little raver fuck or douche wookie in existence has or is selling a multitude of different kind of pins and what not

Don't get me wrong, I think a bunch are pretty cool, but when every other person you see has there whole hat covered with gd pins it gets kinda played out looking imo, esp when I didn't even hear any dead, they bump trap music constantly

Idk if I'm being a pretentious jaded hipster or not

you're not being jaded. it's dumb as fuck.

BFF just sent me an email telling me he purchased two tickets to phases of the moon fest and that i'm going and that i have no choice.

supposed to be going to a wedding lawrence, ks that weekend.

will probably blow wedding off and get my crunchy on because i'm a piece of shit.

I think you have to be a stoner to "get" Phish. It isn't that I can't get them, I am too damn wired. And I can't smoke pot. I hate it. It makes me feel horribly uncomfortable. I never could. It got to the point when we'd all be hanging out, this group of us, they always passed it right by me, they knew I'd never hit that thing. I'll shoot a speedball but I can't smoke a joint

phish sucks and made a bunch of people who aren't cool enough for talking heads swear by them. i am literally missing nothing.

i'm listening to Sly and the Family Stone a lot and wearing lots of high heels and my hair 'dangerously close to mad men'. it feels like it will be a good summer.

fresh!

why do people go out of their way to hate on phish
i was just at my first show and didn't have any kind of religious experience nor did i run home to spend 48 hours on lsd and youtube

still enjoyed the hell out of it and smiled pretty damn hard all night
not like i have immediate plans to see them again, maybe next year, maybe never again

it's not like phans go around to other concerts and chant
Y-E-M
Y-E-M
Y-E-M

like obsessive SEC rag-faced jagoffs

there's a book out called You Don't Know Me but You Don't Like Me: Phish, Insane Clown Posse, and My Misadventures with Two of Music's Most Maligned Tribes
http://www.amazon.com/You-Dont-Know-Like-Misadventures/dp/1451626886

When memoirist and head writer for The A.V. Club Nathan Rabin first set out to write about obsessed music fans, he had no idea the journey would take him to the deepest recesses of both the pop culture universe and his own mind. For two very curious years, Rabin, who Mindy Kaling called “smart and funny” in The New Yorker, hit the road with two of music’s most well-established fanbases: Phish’s hippie fans and Insane Clown Posse’s notorious “Juggalos.” Musically or style-wise, these two groups could not be more different from each other, and Rabin, admittedly, was a cynic about both bands. But once he gets deep below the surface, past the caricatures and into the essence of their collective cultures, he discovers that both groups have tapped into the human need for community. Rabin also grapples with his own mental well-being—he discovers that he is bipolar—and his journey is both a prism for cultural analysis and a deeply personal exploration, equal parts humor and heart.
ya'll should read it, if not for the section in red alone lulz

i tried to but the library didn't have it that one time i went