• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids The Lyrica (Pregabalin) Mega Thread v 2.0

I take Lyrica for foot neuropathy in my feet. It is the only thing that touches the extreme nerve pain I have. I don't take any more than 200mg a day and I try to take at least 2 days off a week. I was taking 600mg a day but the side effects were overwhelming. Weight gain, shortness of breath, drowsiness. I tried stopping cold turkey and that was a huge mistake. The withdrawals were awful and lasted almost 3 weeks.
I find the side effects much reduced at 200mg a day. I know there are a lot of horror stories posted online about this drug but I also know it works great for a lot of people. You usually only hear from those who have issues with it, not from those who it works for.

My only concern with this drug is not knowing the long term effects it may have on users. I don't believe there have been any studies done yet as it is a relatively new drug.
I have also heard a lot of people who suffer from extreme anxiety have started taking it with great success.
Overall it works great for my pain.

My Father was put on 100mg a day after his wife died just over three years ago,the doctor told him that it would help with the grieving. My father has now put on much weight,his legs have blown up with fluid and look like elephant legs,he is also having problems with his teeth and nails,one of his teeth crumbled which had an old amalgam filling in which he had to have filled again,he then had a front tooth fall out and now has had to have a bridge put in.

My Father used to have good nails too,strong and helthy and were quite hard to cut,now they are weak and flaking,they go into layers and break away easily. Hearing all these horror reports on a possible link to tooth decay by using pregabalin (Lyrica) I believe this to be true.

I read in the leaflet that comes with this med that it is a (CALCIUM CHANNEL BLOCKER) meaning that it helps with blood pressure by reducing the amount of calcium that travels through the blood vessels,the calcium causing like a build up a bit like limescale in pipes,and widening the blood vessels to lower blood pressure. My Father is already on blood pressure pills called Amlodipine,so in effect these two drugs combined are having a greater effect on blocking calcium,its therefore my conclusion that these drugs deplete calcium in the body and effect teeth and nails.

It would be good to know how many people that take pregabalin are on blood pressure meds.

Im on lyrica and clonidine (an older blood pressure med), even though my bp is generally on the low side.

It helps my pain meds wrk better & (touch wood) I've had no teeth issues.

Maybe it's from clenching teeth at night time, I know I wake with a sore jaw some days, though I think that's more opiate related.

Rtp

My Father was put on 100mg a day after his wife died just over three years ago,the doctor told him that it would help with the grieving. My father has now put on much weight,his legs have blown up with fluid and look like elephant legs,he is also having problems with his teeth and nails,one of his teeth crumbled which had an old amalgam filling in which he had to have filled again,he then had a front tooth fall out and now has had to have a bridge put in.

This is shocking. Lyrica is contraindicated in people with depression. Since it can worsen depression, it sounds like the last thing that someone should take to help with grieving

^It is shocking! Sorry, I think I only skimmed through this post earlier. I have heard of lyrica being used for GAD, but not depression.

I hope he's no longer taking it as he is obviously hvng side effects, & if I were you or your father I'd be getting in touch with the folks at Pfizer & making an official complaint.

It's only recently I've heard of dental issues associated with lyrica & I thought it must be due to something else as well.

Having to have a front tooth implanted is no joke & recently cost my mother almost au$10,000. (Nothing to do with meds).

There may well be a class action going on against Pfizer regarding dental issues that we are unaware of.

It's important they know about this (preferably from a solicitors letter if that's an option), they may offer a full or partial solution if they've received other complaints of dental issues.

Pregabalin is a huge money spinner for Pfizer & if there's not already a class action suit going forward, it'd be a huge blow for them if say, you went to the media instead. (Just saying ;) ).

Rtp

My Father used to have good nails too,strong and helthy and were quite hard to cut,now they are weak and flaking,they go into layers and break away easily. Hearing all these horror reports on a possible link to tooth decay by using pregabalin (Lyrica) I believe this to be true.

I read in the leaflet that comes with this med that it is a (CALCIUM CHANNEL BLOCKER) meaning that it helps with blood pressure by reducing the amount of calcium that travels through the blood vessels,the calcium causing like a build up a bit like limescale in pipes,and widening the blood vessels to lower blood pressure. My Father is already on blood pressure pills called Amlodipine,so in effect these two drugs combined are having a greater effect on blocking calcium,its therefore my conclusion that these drugs deplete calcium in the body and effect teeth and nails.

It would be good to know how many people that take pregabalin are on blood pressure meds.

he was given Lyrica by a doctor to help him grieve?!?!that is absolutely terrible, what is his doctor thinking?makes me very hesitant to take anything my doctor prescribes me..

Yes his Doctor described the dizzy spells and the stars he was seeing,as well as stiff neck and shoulders was to do with anxiety brought on by the death of his wife and that pregabalin would help in this situation.

My father has been on these pills for the last three years.

^ Lyrica can be a decent anxiolytic for some, especially social anxiety. But when it comes to death & the varying stages of grieving surely a dr could write a decent benzo script!

Has your father told the prescribing dr what you've told us? Has he asked for blood tests & for any other disease process to be ruled out?

It's only been in the last few mths iirc that anythings been posted re:dental issues. However, it is a relatively new drug & not all the facts or side effects are known.

I hope all of you with dental issues get your dr to "red card" Pfizer so they're officially informed, there may be many, many others not linking that lyrica is the cause of tooth probs.(or too few voices being heard for it to be officially looked into).

Rtp

Pregabaline may sometimes cause euphoria but this depends on the situation. When I got coincidentally depressed while I was on pregabaline I got extra depressed.

This is shocking. Lyrica is contraindicated in people with depression. Since it can worsen depression, it sounds like the last thing that someone should take to help with grieving
Hi [MENTION=390361]Slow_Mobius[/MENTION]
I didn't know lyrica can worsen depression. I was taking it recreationally and started tapering around xmas time, i was on 600mg a day, now on 284mg
I spray magnesium oil on my body twice a day, bowels dont like me taking it orally, but transdermally magnesium helps balance calcium and actually makes calcium work better. Dunno how, sorry.
Ive read a lot about magnesium helping with pregab withdrawals.
I dose 5 times a day, as its short acting, and reduce by a 2mg, it used to be 3mg, before that 4mg and started with 5mg a day reductions cos I wasnt on the bigger doses very long.
I noticed a reduction in withdrawal symptoms once I started my taper, having said that, some of those 'withdrawals' could have been lyrica side effects. I'm hoping not to have to reduce my cut anymore and be off it come the end of the year or sooner.

Yes his Doctor described the dizzy spells and the stars he was seeing,as well as stiff neck and shoulders was to do with anxiety brought on by the death of his wife and that pregabalin would help in this situation.

My father has been on these pills for the last three years.

Sending your father healing vibes.

Hi [MENTION=390361]Slow_Mobius[/MENTION]
I didn't know lyrica can worsen depression. I was taking it recreationally and started tapering around xmas time, i was on 600mg a day, now on 284mg
I spray magnesium oil on my body twice a day, bowels dont like me taking it orally, but transdermally magnesium helps balance calcium and actually makes calcium work better. Dunno how, sorry.
Ive read a lot about magnesium helping with pregab withdrawals.
I dose 5 times a day, as its short acting, and reduce by a 2mg, it used to be 3mg, before that 4mg and started with 5mg a day reductions cos I wasnt on the bigger doses very long.
I noticed a reduction in withdrawal symptoms once I started my taper, having said that, some of those 'withdrawals' could have been lyrica side effects. I'm hoping not to have to reduce my cut anymore and be off it come the end of the year or sooner.

Lyrica was a weird med for me. I don't know if it causes depression so much as it makes depression worse. When I went off, (I was only taking 150mg) the WDs I experienced were kind of like the unwanted side effects (lethargy, emotional flatnesses) were amplified plus anxiety. Tapering at that dose was pretty useless for me. I just stopped one day by taking 1mg klonopin instead and was through the worst of it without a problem.

why are you guys taking so much? 3x25mg does it for me, no addiction, no sides

helps anxiety (well it's no benzo but better than the alternatives) and my back never hurts any more

why are you guys taking so much? 3x25mg does it for me, no addiction, no sides

helps anxiety (well it's no benzo but better than the alternatives) and my back never hurts any more

50 mg once a day was a miraculous pain med for about a month. The analgesic effect was nonexistent after that time, and increasing the dose gave me more of the side effects and didn't really give me back any of the analgesia

The highest daily dose a GP is allowed to prescribe is 600mgs split into a morning and evening doses of 300mgs.

Every chronic pain patient in Australia is probably on this dose it's become so normalized

Took my usual 800mg dose of lyrica with 100mg of vyvanse after staying up all night hallucinating from an (over) dose of glaucine extract (400mg plus pure powder). Went toward and when I got there realized I was HIGH. I mean, fucking ripped, twitching and stuttering as usual. I thought,"this is AWESOME since I can just put on my headphones and stare at the wildly swirling bright computer screen. Then I got up to get some chips....made it out into the hall before twitching and fucking falling over. This kept happening- I mean it was uncontrollable- like mini seizures that would drop me to the floor like a sack of wet flour. I thank god made it back to my desk without falling over IFO everyone and stayed there in my seat till the end of my shift. I usually take 800mg as a "recreational" dose with no issues sans twitching and stuttering lol. Usually, at that dose, I get some visuals, increased sociability, feel mildly euphoric (best goddamn potentiation of full mu agonists EVER btw), but this only lasts for one dose- if I re-dose the next day I just feel a dull body high. I had re-dosed, so I didn't expect much, but what I got- omg. I think the the calcium channel inhibition MOA associated with both glassine and lyrica allowed me to re-experience the same- no, an even higher, high- I mean I was uncomfortably, like,"shit, I'm going to lose my job," high. Never had the mini black out experience before. If you are taking any nootropics or drugs with a calcium channel blocking effect, use with caution lol. Only other drugs in my system were buprenorphine 8mg (I know-too much and am working on cutting down) and nortryptaline.

50 mg once a day was a miraculous pain med for about a month. The analgesic effect was nonexistent after that time, and increasing the dose gave me more of the side effects and didn't really give me back any of the analgesia
sorry to hear that man 75mg has worked for me since september both for anxiety and pain the only thing that doesn't happen any more is the awesome sleep i got the first few days, almost as good as ghb sleep or phenibut sleep

My doc started me at 25 mg 3x a day for nerve pain. Just increased one doseage to 50mg and it makes me feel drunk. Had to stop gabapentin because I felt drunk on only 200mg doseage. Tried Nucynta, didn't touch the pain. ARGH!