the lounge discussion v. september 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
wait wait buttttt does this time still count as time served for droppers or dare we say the ban be extended

3042546-poster-p-1-art-and-awards-show-history-dominate-oscars-campaign.gif

Thankyou for taking action.

I have a suggestion.

I suggest the moderators of the lounge and -maybe extend to all social forums-

be a fixed term contract position. Like 3 or 6 months.

I think phr has let the team down. He has done a lot of good things in the past but allowing himself and a couple of his mates harass and rub in bardeaux death to kyt and others was below the belt and he needs to be fired .

Having a fixed term position means that persons modship can be renewed and rebiewed by us and staff.

It means no one moderator can be complacent and feel they are above anyone else as they are not.

It means we can have less bullshit when its time to change direction and be fun!

The other mods are great and.some are relatively new so this will be good for them to work together and with us to have more fun times and stuff.

Thankyou.

How do you implement that though? Im gathering two separate methods of action from your post (and please correct me if i'm wrong)

1. Senior staff review the moderators position every 3-6 months and decide to terminate or continue the "contract" as they see fit
2. The position of the moderator is put to a vote made up of staff and forum members

First of all I like the ideas, they appear to add more checks and balances to the system and the potential for greater democracy.
However, here are the issues I also see:

1. The first option is no different than the current method of moderator review, however it does add more regularity to position review.
2. The second option can be easily manipulated by members and staff alike, see the lounge's popular "vote someone out for a month" contest.

I fail to see how either option would effectively address staffing issues
(which, yes, means I agree that the current form of staff review is not a good method)

clear rules and objective moderation is all we need.

easier said than done but I'm very happy the lounge mod team is under review.

and I agree with bombo saying the Sr staff overlooking the lounge need to also be removed or adjusted to actual lounge regulars like the late bardeaux.

it's no easy task policing that forum but I have a strange fear that this may not change much. seems like more of a 'rules reset' more than anything.

I hope all goes well.

So I guess ill just run rampant throughout bl posting like I'm still in the lounge. Fuck your stupid rules

Lounge is dead bros. Dont believe them when they say jet fuel melts steel beams, and its only.one or two days

I got the inside info.

I dunno about the rest of you but I'm tearing up EADD. Look our limeys, Americas comings

I dunno about the rest of you but I'm tearing up EADD. Look our limeys, Americas comings
Dude, you're going to put in 10X the effort "tearing up EADD" then they will by simply sweeping up your crap and banning you.

How do you implement that though? Im gathering two separate methods of action from your post (and please correct me if i'm wrong)

1. Senior staff review the moderators position every 3-6 months and decide to terminate or continue the "contract" as they see fit
2. The position of the moderator is put to a vote made up of staff and forum members

First of all I like the ideas, they appear to add more checks and balances to the system and the potential for greater democracy.
However, here are the issues I also see:

1. The first option is no different than the current method of moderator review, however it does add more regularity to position review.
2. The second option can be easily manipulated by members and staff alike, see the lounge's popular "vote someone out for a month" contest.

I fail to see how either option would effectively address staffing issues
(which, yes, means I agree that the current form of staff review is not a good method)

WEJ14T0.png

Unfortunately, I don't think TL is qualified to vote a new board of directors in. This isn't a democracy.

Further to my earlier suggestion of fixed term moderators:

The social forums would benefit best from this rather than the recovery and serious drug forums as the serious (ie dark side) moderators are constant familiar faces that some looking for help would have some connection to long term as getting off drugs and staying that way is a long term hard effort.

Social forums are also very valuable harm reduction. Bluelight has provided a place where drug users and those that keep a private life away from their other friendship circles and family can relax and have a group of people to be actually themselves with.

Its very important to keep the social forums flourishing as people who enjoy their time there will stick around and put back in to the place what they get out of it.

If there was to be some consideration to changing the lounge mods and other social forum mods to fixed term I dont know what would be the best way to go about choosing who they would be or how long the term is. Admin etc would have to figure that bit out but input from the forum members and including them in the decision would possibly help the members run the forum themselves and give some motivation to contribute to make it better.

Or maybe get other people already on staff who want to help out the social forums a chance to do hands on work and implenent their ideas.

This would also avoid any grief and hurt that happens if a mod is taken off staff. As it is now its either step down willingly as they have had enough, be made to step down as the senior staff arent happy with them or just get removed in extreme circumstances.

Having a sort of roster or contract would prevent demodding.

The lounge has been a very valuable help to me personally over the years and the good most def has outweighed the bad. Its very good harm reduction and the people I have met and spent time with here mostly have been awesome. Its a shame its seen as a horrible shithole by other bluelighters as a lot of loungers are decent fun people. But yeah its only a few wankers that spoil it and it would be good to not be seen as an arsehole forum.

Tl dr.

Dude, you're going to put in 10X the effort "tearing up EADD" then they will by simply sweeping up your crap and banning you.
They watching.
But when am I doing it? Am I doing it? Who knows man!

Plus the lounge is gone (9/27 was an inside job) I have no reason to stay here

again zephyr, I see your point but I fail to see how the first option provides a real change from the current state of senior staff and moderator relations/operations. I also think that the option of having lounge members choose their moderators has great potential for being a masked popularity contest.

Bardo handed out as good as he received in the lounge when he was alive. I doubt my eventual death would be met with any more or less respect than his.

It seems pretty poor form to parade a suicide as being noble when this whole site is built upon keeping people alive.

If you can't help your friends what hope of saving a stranger?

I dont think anyone said his death was noble mate. What I took from this whole thing was exactly how low it was to harrass his grieving ex partner and think that it was funny to do so. It wasnt funny to suggest she "find another junkie" or imply she was reaponsible for his death . That. Was. Bullshit. Unfortunately it was some lounge members who did that. It sucked. There is no way she was in any way responsible .

The whole thing is sad.

Rip TL. Come on guys with all the cuurent advances in safe spaces and safe space technology, this was bound to happen. If you guys would just post in BL reddit and use this site for old posters to find the reddit affiliate then all will be good. For all parties concerned!

Bombo thank you for sticking up for TL. It is not homophobic or any other ism Alasdair wants to claim it as.
I'm quite frankly disgusted by anyone would claim we would be dancing on johns grave. I loved that dude as much as one could via the interwebs/ phone text. I never saw any one speak ill of him here. That is a deplorable claim Alasdair..
Come on guys reddit is awesome! You can hit BL then stop by the_donald and I'll buy you a Pepe on the house.

I dont think anyone said his death was noble mate. What I took from this whole thing was exactly how low it was to harrass his grieving ex partner and think that it was funny to do so. It wasnt funny to suggest she "find another junkie" or imply she was reaponsible for his death . That. Was. Bullshit. Unfortunately it was some lounge members who did that. It sucked. There is no way she was in any way responsible .

The whole thing is sad.
I forgot about that comment and it was disgusting and I called out said party. That was the only thing I saw of that sort. John would not want to be used to justify ruining the lounge. I say that with confidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.