• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The 'Harm Reduction' party

Infinite Jest said:
But it's actually part of the policy that, if there's a conflict between law enforcement and harm reduction approaches, the govt should use the harm reduction approach. It's not much, but it's a good start, and IMO it has worked (we had 3 MDMA deaths at the start of this decade, and none since AFAIK).

That's quite cool actually. How has it worked in practice? More funding for HR related organizations?

This whole idea is doomed from the word go if legalisation is even whispered. forget about legal mdma or anything else for that matter. I can just imagine the headline ,
"HARM MINIMISATION PARTY WANTS TO MAKE ALL DRUGS LEGAL" If all you really want is(insert drug name) legalised then start a MAKE DRUGS LEGAL PARTY

I think the public would quite enjoy this headline though.

"Legal MDMA reduces drug fatalities by hundreds"

I'm sorry but I can't see the whole HR thing really being effective unless the government can regulate and control drugs otherwise the same street crap is going to be pushed out no matter what.

I think the public would quite enjoy this headline though.

"Legal MDMA reduces drug fatalities by hundreds"

I'm sorry but I can't see the whole HR thing really being effective unless the government can regulate and control drugs otherwise the same street crap is going to be pushed out no matter what.

Ok , are you saying that no one has ever died as a result of taking pure mdma? I will stand corrected if so.

I understand your point, but it is way to early to push both messages at the same time. I feel Its too much for society to accept at this time. just by talking to open minded friends, maybe 50% would agree that the ZERO TOLERANCE road has failed miserably and that HR needs urgent attention. If I then mention legalisation, Id be suprised if any of them agree... and in no way are they the "JUST SAY NO" type. Now imagine this question put to our "leaders"(for want of a better word)

Ok , are you saying that no one has ever died as a result of taking pure mdma? I will stand corrected if so.

I think I understand your point here. Even if recreational drugs were legalised and made available at pharmacuetical quality you can bet your bottom dollar people would kill themselves with them, just as they do now with alcohol and smokes.

Another way might be a dedicated letter writing campaign to local papers etc. Get the idea out there that drugs aren't particularly dangerous, and that harm minimisation saves lives.

Perhaps not bombard them with hundreds of letters from a united writing front. But if those who are well informed and articulate opined on current occurences (such as overdoses and police presence at events) that could really help. If only to counterballance the 68 year old woman who writes letters to the Herald Sun berateing meth users and drunks for violence in the street on Saturday nights - whenever I read the letters page I wonder why I don't see much of these elderly who are evidently out in the CBD at 2am (though I must admit I'm rather lucky, I havent even seen any violence whilst out in more than three years, let alone experienced any.)

*awaiting moderateuser's ideas not criticisms

I apologise. I'm allways grieved when i think of how attenuated modern politics have become from everyday concerns of life. It makes me cranky.