• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The 'Harm Reduction' party

At first glance I thought Aus DD people were going to get together dance and get wasted. Bit of a let down really.

Single policy political parties are very much viable, but as with alot of progressive and rational policies the invariable result is political suicide. But with Australia's propensity towards massive drug use, the accelerating creation of research chemicals and the inability of legislators to legislate effectively against them, legalization of all drugs seems like an inevitability.

Make Poverty History , Cheaper Drugs NOW .....

Partyyyyy....

=D

here...here....

make crime rate drop, cheaper drugs now....

PARTY

Party, party.party.......;)

I would be interested in being part of a Harm Reduction party... I'm a bit young to run for a seat perhaps though. I'd be willing to help out a Brisbane chapter of the party though. :D

What would the policies be exactly? I think pushing for more research into drugs and their use would be a good start. Promoting an inquiry into current drug laws and their effects on the supply of drugs and the effects the laws have on the end user. Looking into what the consequences of re-scheduling many substances would be, and what would be viable in terms of making drugs less restricted. I'm thinking, looking at what drugs would be able to be more accessible to the public and which ones still have too many dangers but would be better suited to being Rx'd to current users/addicts.

Maybe a good starting point would be a university club / society? Good place to get like-minded individuals with lots of spare time on their hands involved?

I remember when I was in uni some guy running for a local seat named Nigel Freemarijuana. He had helped organise a hemp appreciation society or something similar at UQ in Brissy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEMP_Party <--- there we go.

LEGALISE NOW !!

At first glance I thought Aus DD people were going to get together dance and get wasted. Bit of a let down really.

Single policy political parties are very much viable, but as with alot of progressive and rational policies the invariable result is political suicide. But with Australia's propensity towards massive drug use, the accelerating creation of research chemicals and the inability of legislators to legislate effectively against them, legalization of all drugs seems like an inevitability.

Well spoken, John Howard's policy of "0" Tolerance only contributed to more drugs made and imported into the country. It never worked just made ppl in power positions richer !!

Legalisation would mean reduction in crime rate, IMHO.......

Cash....Black Market.......Drugs.......Crime

It's time for a Drugs debate...........Pro's and Cons

Can we move away from a single issue party and become a double issue party?

I've been extremely upset that in the Bank and Bank Holiday Act 1912 that if a public holiday falls on a Saturday it will not be moved to the next working day. The only exception is if the public holiday falls on a Sunday. Seriously been thinking of setting up a political party on that issue alone.

oh yes and we can campaign about legalising drugs and implementing harm minimisation policies.

The real trick is to find an existing group of people, very large, like how the ALP has the unions and the Liberals have the business groups, to support the party in its endeavours.

You need to find the stakeholders, the grass roots and somehow band them together.

Once you have said, large, group of people you then in turn have money and legitimacy that can be leveraged into a platform to campaign on.

A good case study would to be view how the gay and lesbian lobby took a sexuality that was deemed illegal and campaigned, at the cost of liberty and in some cases life, achieving what anyone at the time would have considered insane, they moved parliament to legalise their sexuality.

Where did they get the money? Who were the backers?

Single issue politics is very common in Europe and the USA, and those involved gain great leverage at the highest levels...
I would suggest staying with a single issue, and consider contacting the Drug Policy Alliance in the US for collaborative advice. They've been hugely active in advancing the debate there, and very supportive whenever I've been in touch....
Check out their television ads which were hilarious and ran on national channels!

^ Ha ha, I like the Incarcerex one. :D

"Do you suffer from fear of losing your election?"

Well I'm glad my idea is at least leading to more idea's.

We really need some one with lots of spare time willing to take this on and start working out how viable it would be.
I'd do it but some how I don't think any one is going to listen to an 18 year old, trying to start a political party about drugs.

^ Ha ha we are in the same boat. But we can do behind the scenes work. I know I've got a lot of free time, I just don't know what goes into forming a political party. We'd need money for a start to form a website at least, get pamphlets and stuff out there.

Why not get involved with Enlighten, or some of the groups that already exist in Australia? If you want a political party, maybe the Greens or Libertarians? (I don't know much about Aus politics, but certainly Green and Libertarian parties worldwide tend to be in favour of less restrictive drug laws).

I've also thought about maybe getting some lads to put up "BLUELIGHT" when they go out painting or something, or even putting up fake adds in newspapers about seeking drug takers for assessments and put this website to refer too, then when they get here they will explore and learn the site.

I echo what lil angel said.

While I would defer to Australian staff (Hoptis as admin and Johnboy as site owner), I personally would be absolutely furious at someone putting out fake ads and referring people to Bluelight.

Please, if you have ideas to promote the site, send them to staff: I'd suggest contacting the Australian mods at first. Don't go off and act on your own :). We do want to promote BL, but it needs to be co-ordinated.

That said, you could and should by all means tell people about the site.

Infinite Jest said:
Why not get involved with Enlighten, or some of the groups that already exist in Australia? If you want a political party, maybe the Greens or Libertarians? (I don't know much about Aus politics, but certainly Green and Libertarian parties worldwide tend to be in favour of less restrictive drug laws).

I've started doing festivals with RaveSafe and am very keen to do more in the HR field.

But I like the idea of a single issue party that can push the point and not have other issues muddying resources/time. Possibly a risky venture, but hey I'm willing. Helping Enlighten out may be the way to go. Personally I'd like to see something with more exposure.

i am seriously thinking about making a shift into politics once i have enough experience in the Policy sector, but more social change happens when society actualy spreads the word and demands action forcing the politicians to move from their position.

if you were going to engage in a political movement i suggest that you spread the word, educate the masses, speak out, get behind groups like enlighten or other harm reduction agencies.

the most important thisng you can do is stand up and speak out, if people forever stand back not wanting to be identified ........ then you are just as complicit in maintaining the status quo.

Australia has some great organisations that debate at the policy level including Aivl and NuAA, Vivaids and so forth. with more support and contributions from individuals there might be a way to create more options for debate on differnt issues.

Why don't we start here at bluelight. All political groups start off small first.

Post a sticky and see what happens.

'Harm reduction party' what a great name for a party.

* Puts his hand up to help

Or should we just vote for the Greens instead...

Yes you should vote for the Greens in order to disrupt our shift toward a two-party cartel system, in which our tax dollars rather than donations fund party institutions themselves, and electoral thresholds prevent marginal interests from be repessented through the minor contenders . However you may be dissappointed by the Greens drug policy, I'm not familiar with their current policy but around the last election I believe it was somewhere closer to the realm of "zero-tolerance." Perhaps overcompensating for the missleading publicity (in fact it was outright lies) they earned through the Family First Party.

This is all very interesting, but a few issues should probably be chewed over before jumping in feet first. If it can be seen that these problems can be addressed either now or in the foreseeable future, then a political party dedicated to reform is a realistic possibility. But, and it's a big but, it needs to be remembered, that you're not only taking on the large prohibitionist favouring Australian public, medical professionals and LE etc... but also the broader and infinitely more powerful international prohibitionist lobby. There are also international treaties to deal with.

A thing that needs to be remembered is that getting drugs scheduled is relatively easy. Un-scheduling, or rescheduling the drugs into a lesser (non-illicit) category such as NZ's class D drugs is no mean feat, and would certainly be a daunting process, even if the ambassador or representative of such a party or group was among the best qualified to speak on relative harms, etc. At the very least, he/she would have to be highly respected among his/her peers, be charismatic, witty and punctual..... mmm...there's one who instantly springs to mind ;)

Seriously though, can anyone think of any illicit drug in Australia (barring cannabis perhaps) that has ever been de-scheduled to make production, trafficking, or possession carry less of a penalty? I'm not talking about diversion courts, which in most states only work for possession of small amounts, and aren't always an option for repeat offenders.

A couple of years ago Stargate International trialled their Ease party pill in NZ. While the drug received good feedback from users, and no fatalities occurred during this trial period, it only took until someone identified the active ingredient as Methylone for the trouble to start. Those opposing Ease (or party pills per se) highlighted the reported effects in published literature, but their main point in the argument was that Methylone had already been banned in many western countries, and was a controlled analogue by definition in most countries that employed analogue legislation. That was the end of that....

Also, when we look at piperazines in NZ, we can say a great many things contributed towards their scheduling, but it seemed a timely coincidence that the final decision to ban the products was announced at the same time a United Nations meeting was being held in Christchurch. The UN had definitely focused on NZ, and along with other nations that had already scheduled the products pushed hard for piperazines to be banned there.

So, we see problems arising from all manner of places. I guess the first step towards creating such a party is formulate a policy, within which party aims and objectives are clearly defined. Most of the previous reform parties for cannabis just never got this part together properly IMO, and I might add, their job was much easier back then because most people accepted cannabis was pretty much harmless.

Another potential problem is that most would-be politicians or members of such a party will have different ideas about what those aims and objectives should be. Some might want to only see MDMA use decriminalised, while others might be of the view that all drugs need to be openly legalised. So, dissent among the ranks could occur before anything is consolidated. That might be not be that different for any new political party, but I believe formulating such a plan and policy for drug reform would have many added hurdles.

Still, if the right people are prepared to do the miles, and a policy was developed that wasn't too radical or scary, it could be possible that a greater portion of the public might emphasize with and eventually support the cause. Be fully aware though, any such support would be hard earned. Every person associated with such a party would be thoroughly stripped bare, by both the powers that be, and those radical prohibitionists who would leave no stone unturned. It might be fine and well to say "I used to do drugs" but to say you're still doing them - breaking laws - may undermine more than just the individual's status within such a party.

It's also vitally important to adhere to laws regarding censorship and be well aware of what you can say publicly or advise in regards to drugs. We are governed in Aus by laws which limit the way someone can publicly exercise their right of speech in regards to drug use and you certainly can't even look like you're advocating that people should continue to break the law until reform is achieved - we all know where that is seen to lead. From what I remember, you can't openly recommend, suggest, or even condone drug taking publicly in this country without risk of being charged. Make pamphlets that in anyway indicate that present government policy is wrong and that drugs are actually less harmful for you than authorities say, and you could further violate these laws. I could be wrong here, so perhaps fortehlulz, Biscuit or the likes can correct or expand on this.

I would say a good first step in forming a party would be to speak with some of those who have championed the harm reduction cause, particularly Johnboy. He has had a great deal of experience in very similar areas, and he doesn't come from either a medical or political background, yet in a way, he's made a first big step, a step that can be a starting point for a reform party or movement. Having spoken at conferences, debated politicians on air and having coped with the unfair backlash that inevitably occurs when you go against the grain with such an emotional subject, he'd certainly be worth listening to. There are quite a few others who would also be worthy should they wish to contribute or assist, and from where such a party would be coming from, anyone who's worked for the cause in recent years would undoubtedly be able to offer some good advice.

If funding ever became available, perhaps a conference could be setup somewhere, where initial ideas and suggestions could be tabled and from which a policy could eventually emerge.

Great idea, but know what y'all are in for :\

phase_dancer said:
At the very least, he/she would have to be highly respected among his/her peers, be charismatic, witty and punctual..... mmm...there's one who instantly springs to mind

P_D for 2011. :D

phase_dancer said:
From what I remember, you can't openly recommend, suggest, or even condone drug taking publicly in this country without risk of being charged. Make pamphlets that in anyway indicate that present government policy is wrong and that drugs are actually less harmful for you than authorities say, and you could further violate these laws. I could be wrong here, so perhaps fortehlulz, Biscuit or the likes can correct or expand on this.

I find that absolutely disgusting. Does anyone know of any cases where laws that cover this have been enforced?

P_D for 2011

Haha... I certainly wasn't refering to myself. I lack in most of those qualities I'm afraid.

I tried to find an old indecent literature classification document I once had in print, but had no luck looking online. Hopefully my memory's failed me here, but I'm pretty sure we have measures in place to stop anyone promoting illicit drug use. If you think about it, we have some laws regarding advertising of alochol and tobacco, so it's quite likely there would be similar in regards to illicit drugs.

And you never see any of the headshops in Aus advertising their latest "Keep you up all night" pill, although party pills are openly advertised in NZ. I must say the radio ads I heard for a new range made them sound very attractive. Sold through sex shops, the ad kinda implied your sex life would be better. A bit like ol' Roy and HG's Frosty La Hood and his No Root, No Toot policy on used cars ;)

^ Well, for what it's worth in some of the articles discussing the internet censorship plan they included violent material and instructions on drug use in what would be blacklisted, and it wouldn't surprise me if there were such laws around. :\

At the very least, he/she would have to be highly respected among his/her peers, be charismatic, witty and punctual..... mmm...there's one who instantly springs to mind ;)

The good doctor perhaps?

Of course because of the legality of drugs and to protect the innocent (ie. wife and kids) no-one in my extended family knows about my drug habits. I guess I and plenty others would have to 'come out' in order to support the cause. Would I be prepared to do this? Maybe... More so if I was in good company...

Hopefully as the baby boomers die off the younger generations will be more open minded to this sort of thing. I feel I can openly talk about drugs with anyone my age really, everyone does it :p.

I think despite the constant flak the party would cop, there would be a supriseing upset in the votes as stoners and young people in general who care nothing at all are forced to vote. Not enough to win but enough for people to say "shit thats a fair few people". Other countries arnt forced to vote so only old whingers go out to vote, were all forced to vote (except me, im not enrolled) but dont have anyone decent to vote for anyway.

I think the Dr would be pretty good, someone tell him hes now the leader.

getting behind a movement with solid backing from international research would go along way I think! Perfect example would be the ever growing research into "MDMA psychotherapy for PTSD"! Canada, US, Israel, Switzerland, Norway, UK etc are all getting into with growing acceptance!

chek me...

me 2...

...it's hard argue against facts born from scientific research! well those Scientology freaks seem to think they can!!!!8)