The Feds Came To Visit...

You are going to have to find a program on the net that takes everything and I mean EVERYTHING on your HDD back to 1, basically its like buying a brand new HDD. Ill try to figure out which.

not gonnna happen buddy.

if the fbi want info of your hd, they will get it. its just a matter of how important it is.

Remove your hard-drive.. place in outdoor bonfire and BURN BABY BURN!..

Go to store, install new hard-drive.. and new copy of windows 98.

Jay

alasdairm said:
that seems unbelievable - do you have a pointer to any background information on this kind of thing?

alasdair

Technology exists to retreave information even after a hard drive has been formated 4~6 times.

However that isn't the same as a low level format which should wipe everything properly.

If in doubt, you can find programs on that net which instead of writting all zeros or all 1's to your drive, they write random sequences which gives the impression of data but infact there is nothing there. Thus any data recovery initially looks like it will yeild something but infact just returns jibberish.

alasdairm said:
that seems unbelievable - do you have a pointer to any background information on this kind of thing?

alasdair

I'm a security engineer, right now i'm at work, but if it is absolutly nessary I can find the articles on it that i read a while back. This isn't something the common person can do, but all the information is stored magnetically, and even when you overwrite it 0's and 1's or however people deem unrepairable, there is still a different magnetic charge held to it that someone with the right equipment can read those and still piece data together. It is on the security focus mailing list somewhere, and I think there may have been a CERT advisory on it as well. I know there is a lot of parnoid people on here, and just say it, but technically speaking it is true, but mostly no one would have to worry about it, it's used more in situation with crackers, encryting their data, and also damaging their eveidence when they are caught, it's a dificult forensic, but is ava

Sorry to derail, but how big was your money order? I am curious as to what size money order attracts attention.

theghostofbillhicks said:
^ errr he has one post. FBI ???
Possibly... 8)

Or I could just be a new member who happens to be curious as to what size money order would attract attention. I don't actually mess with money orders; I just have a mind that constantly craves new knowledge.

Its really a simple question that can be answered without revealing any detailed information. Can a $500 money order attract attention? $1000? $10,000? Does anyone even really know?

Just remember everybody....

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you before questioning. ;)

yeah, but 9/10 times (and there are exceptions) when one is appointed for you, you get what you pay for. Even if the guy is a good lawyer, his case load is probably more than anyone could handle.

Still, you might try calling legal aid.

you can effectively wipe a hdd by writing 7 times.
U.S. DoD (Department of Defence) 5200.28 standard defines a file to be 7 times overwritten before it is unrecoverable.
or you could just run openbsd and the whole disk and ram would be encrypted, and unreadable without your key 24/7.
or, if you dont care about the hdd, a magnet will kill it. or open it up and wipe your finger on the metal disks. you dont need to buy anything fancy to kill a hdd.

but

if authorities have already looked at the box itself, its entirely too easy for them to have installed a keylogger, although they probably wouldve already rooted you (taken control of your computer) before they even came to your house.

they just want you to cooperate if theyve come to you and not taken you away. i reccomend cooperating to some degree. people like it when you cooperate with them.

but def. get a lawyer. and dont cooperate til you have one. hell, you shouldnt have said anything to them besides 'its nothing personal, id love to cooperate with you so we both get what we want, but id like to have a lawyer present before i speak with you'

best of luck

I knew a guy that prepared a thermite charge that he wanted to rig to his hard-drive, he eventually wanted to connect it to the power supply and set it off by a command. He never got that far, I think the idea of having a live charge inside his desktop and under the control of Bill Gates' software just wasn't that appealing in the end.

You don't want the "blue screen of death" to actually cause death =D

--- G.

Or, you could boot from a linux self-contained bootable disk (eg. the rescue option on the RedHat CDs, tomsrtbt, etc) and type the following at a bourne (often the default) shell prompt:

COUNT=0; while [ $COUNT -lt 7 ]; do dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda; COUNT=`expr $COUNT + 1`; done

Or, if it is using bash (bourne again shell, you can check by typing echo $SHELL at a prompt), which many CDs will, you can use this cleaner script:

for a in `seq 1 7`; do dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda; done

Both of these commands will overwrite the hard drive (I am assuming the primary ide hard drive here. hda can be tweaked to the correct device) 7 times with a stream of pseudo-random data. I can promise you that there would be very little residual data that they could recover.

No need to destroy a perfectly good disk.

nate_au:
i think knoppix might be better than TRB or a rescue disk, as people needing to be taught this type of thing typically like guis better than command line (even if you are just going to pull up a terminal anyway)
besides, debian rules, and it might convert someone from wintendo to a real OS.