The Dark Musick Thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZGWQauQOAQ

^
in 3rd grade, i stood my ass up, and in front of my music-class, when know one else would and chose to sing "feeling groovy" and it always stuck; the light from the lamp-post...

now i know.

and they always thought i was was a "devil-worshiper" from 3rd grade until i started bashing my brain with drugs.
HAH dumb fucks cant even hear their own music.

I like dark music, just not the type that sounds like someone frothing at the mouth while trying to chew their own ear off.

I also have no use for religious references, good or evil. Art can depict religion, but not the other way around. Prosthelytizing and music don't mix.

Last edited:
most music is based around this same structure though - and i have to laugh because most of this stuff i honestly can hardly see the dark in... or any actual intent of perhaps manipulating the listener, or speaking in essence of chaos and destruction for no reason other then total non existence of anything, in which case what does it matter...?!? empty

its mythology, that is only ' modernized ',
i exist this way, but i dont tolerate hearing others ideas too long, i like my own inspirations.

classical stuff, duets or quar/quin-tets, those are what get things going for me...

the above link i posted, i came across looking for a regular tune, the Feeling Groovy thing came back so i clicked, and was blown away. thats one of my parents favorites, but i promise- as cool as they are -they dont actually get, what they are really really trying to fable. the Grateful Dead play some of the most dark music one could imagine, but it doesnt sound like it, they are tricky this way;-)

my dad is a dead-head, but it never struck him with their music, it made his record collection massive and he saw them many times, hes caught it now though, and it isnt S&G funk as hes accustomed to or songs like "imagine" -- his bulb is being lit hard by, the stuff posted above, genesis p orridge and/or throbbing gristle. im rambling because it is so idk, intense - he is a cool mofo, but i never seen him with this state of mind. i really dont even feel comfortable posting this but, the slug bait ="evil" lives in superstition) is what stirred his spirituality, and he was in catholic school until college...

hahah, a highschool teacher, and they are studying light and its effects/uses, we were on the subject and this naturally came up - he has a different awareness now of nature and lies, from something his schools taught him to be evil.

i was supposed to email him this half-plant half-animal sea-slug

and so, i guess i wrap my self up and say that most of this music is an attempt, or speaking how, maybe some need to be pushed in the pool to learn they can swim.

FFS, that my most rambles'm ramble as of yet i believe.

Nice to see David Tibet get a mention, even if he loves Jesus these days. Still a very talented man. Also PTV - the more Genesis P-Orridge the better.

I don't know how I missed them out, but Killing Joke should get a mention for having influenced a lot of the more apocalyptic industrial / post-punk acts. I fucking love the Joke.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the other tracks posted here, but hey, ceck this out- Silvester Anfang- Burkelbos Psychedelic drone noise freakfolk....

I like dark music, just not the type that sounds like someone frothing at the mouth while trying to chew their own ear off.

I presume you mean 'extreme metal' styles, as to which I agree; metal is very rarely dark in anything but a comical sense. But still, it can have a sinister vibe if constructed well.

I also have no use for religious references, good or evil. Art can depict religion, but not the other way around. Prosthelytizing and music don't mix

What do you mean by 'not the other way around'? Religion can depict art?

Personally, I find music to be a great way to convey a mystical ideal, but I can see how it might be distasteful..

most music is based around this same structure though - and i have to laugh because most of this stuff i honestly can hardly see the dark in... or any actual intent of perhaps manipulating the listener, or speaking in essence of chaos and destruction for no reason other then total non existence of anything, in which case what does it matter...?!? empty

Deep.....8o

How would you define "dark music(k)" out of curiousity? A lot o people seem to only perceive 'darkness' in terms of lyrical contenct (eg. black metal being focused on negativity, anti-christianity, misanthropy, evil, hatred...) which to me seems like an easy way out....

Or musically, it could be based around atonal or dissonant clusters of notes (i was going towrite 'melodies', but that would have completely contradicted myself...). Which, once again, seems like the easy option. Anyone can construct atonal/dissonant music, or serial scales...

So people seem to associate it with extremity; lots of distorted instruments, really fast tempos (or conversely) really slow tempo's, extreme vocal performances (screaming/distrted/etc)...and yet, look at a style such as hardcore punk, which is rarely dark, or look at power/speed metal which has that extremeity, and yet is the most fluffy music one can hear....

To me, dark music(k) conveys a mystical atmosphere. By that, I mean a sense of the arcane, the forbidden, the odd, the dreamlike...I often find 'occult' music to contain this feeling, or shamanic music (the icaros of an ayahuasca shaman for example). There's a sense that this music is a audible manifestation of a world completely alien to ours, so alien that it is not directly perceivable, and must be translated into something which the human sensory organs can process.

I don't feel that dark music is by nature evil or frightening or really negative; and the dark music that I enjoy often has strong elements of light and joy to it (once again, th shamanic icaros- generally, the melodies are not dissonant or minor-key)...Its when the darkness and light present themselves as united; thats when music gets interesting.

Diamanda Gala- Gloomy Sunday

Penderecki- Threnody For The Victims of Hiroshima

8o
PiP said:
classical stuff, duets or quar/quin-tets, those are what get things going for me...

Please link a few of these, I don't know much classical music at all....

^ Although I'm not a fan of his, Elvis Costello does a really great rendition of "Gloomy Sunday". Billie Holiday, too.

All The Pretty Little Horses

" The song was created by a black woman who had to look after her master's child, while her own child died from neglect. She would sing this to the masters white child. It is right that it has such a sad sound to it really. The little lamb crying for its mommy is obviously her own dead/dying child. The original had the lyric "birds and butterflies, peck at his eyes", but it had to be changed to the less violent version...for the kids and all. "

so, shallow cruelty, or deep compassion???

C'93/Rosy Star Tears From Heaven

:-x

Willow, what you quoted, and what i had written around that would be one of my best shots at describing "dark" music. i agree that a 'sound-scape' can be built w/o any words, as with some Classical or Eclectronica. these can still be insinuative; just rhythmic patterns at a minimum can stimulate a part of the mind(ie. hemi-synch) that seems dark maybe. this feeling/sense may not be as familiar, and so may also bring a feeling of un-ease. if that is allowed to be dwelled on above all the " darkness " one might feel is usually the underlying-or-overlaying premise of any story, including our little Ol lives every day. andnight

heheh-like a shock awareness, a splash of cold water that is invigorating rather then stunning only.

The Legendary Pink Dots-almost completely deconstructed myself one night while I was listening to them
Teargarden
Some Pink Floyd can be quiet dark,
some GD as someone else pointed out can also get quiet dark "hell in bucket" comes to mind for lyrical quality and a lot of their jams in the middle of traditional songs can get quiet dark..was at a Furthur show and they played shakedown into the Wheel in a very dark way-just the way the music was being played
pSychic TV
I suppose some Godspeed could be considered dark, or some projects of the individuals in the band
Swans/Angels of Light
Even some of Morrison's stuff can be quiet dark
My husband and I always have this discussion about what constitutes "dark" music as I tend to be highly sensitive to energy through music. I have been trying to figure out what it is that I can't seem to shake when certain things are playing, especially during the peak of a trip or while smoking cannabis even. Good thread!

Legendary Pink Dots (not all dark)
The Tear Garden
Gary Numan (I'm really into Saviour and all albums coming after) - Especially recommended for those who hate God or have anti religious sentiments
Katatonia
Swans (Haven't gotten into early stuff too much yet)
Joy Division
Nick Drake
Godspeed, You Black Emperor (Particularly F#A#oo and Skow Riot For New Zero Kanada)
Lull
Dead Voices On Air
Antimatter (Possibly the most depressing band I know of, especially after the 1st album)
Skinny Puppy
Current 93
Death In June
Lycia
Diary of Dreams

Of the bands on this list, I have recently been listening most to Legendary Pink Dots, The Tear Garden, Gary Numan, Swans, Joy Division, Katatonia, and Nick Drake. Sorta just rediscovered Godspeed You Black Emperor!

Last edited: