The Dark Musick Thread

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
I think this is a broad enough topic to include anything from industrial, noise, drone, metal, folk, martial, ambient, rock, electronic etc.

What dark musick art thou listening to? "Dark" is a very subjective term, I admit, but as a polarising notion it is easy to define...

I have several different groups/artists to mention;

Bohren & der Club of Gore: dark ambient jazz anyone? Very odd music, got that noir feeling along with something more sinister. Bohren & der Club of Gore- Midnight Mission More on the ambient side of things, but still with the jazzy high hat pedal...;)

NON (Boyd Rice)- undefinable music, often simple loops or noise; the artist is somewhat maligned due to his links with facists (but then, all the early industrial bands got linked to that). Boyd Rice and Friends- Disneyland Can Wait More accesible then stuff produced as NON, but still very eerie...

Deathspell Omega: splendidly odd, avant garde black metal. A mysterious group; no-one seems sure of the band members, and lyrically they discuss lofty matters such as theistic devil worship and dark christianity. Deathspell Omega- Abcisscion From their latest album, Paracletus. An excellent song indeed.

So, add what thou wilt....:)

Love a bit of eeevil, I do. :)

I'm really into Throbbing Gristle. They were really innovative but sometimes just plain nasty-sounding. I like putting on Very Friendly and watching people's reactions. Sadly it's only on YouTube in two parts, but I don't imagine the casual listener would get that far anyway. ;)

Whitehouse started out very much in a similar vein with more emphasis on the shock value and 'transgressive' subject matter, but they really evolved later on to do some positive, cathartic music like Dumping The Fucking Rubbish.

I love Swans, especially when they got more melodic and chanty. A lot of that stuff isn't exactly dark, but Love Will Save You certainly is.

On a more cartoony front, I adore the Sisters of Mercy. Danzig in various bands too, but Samhain stand out as the funniest and most over-the-top. Here's Macabre. Try not to laugh...

Yo that's a ridiculous tempo. The Bohren & der club of Gore video. It's like less than 1 beat per second. That's such unexplored territory for me it's crazy.

Throbbin Gristle are...interesting? Is that the 'nice' word for it? ;)

Paysage d'Hiver- Winter A really interesting project, billed as ambient black metal. Sometimes unlistenable, but this track is really good...

Also, In Slaughter Natives, bombastic weird shit: Ashes of Angels

depends on how you look at these two..;-p PitchedBlack

Psy TV - White Nights

its the, um... what was read at the "BJtM"...

Siousxie & the Banchees - Arabian Knights

Arabian Knights Lyrics -
NSFW:

" The jewel, the prize
Looking into your eyes
Cool pools drown your mind
What else will you find

I hear a rumour-it was just a rumour
I heard a rumour-what have you done to her

Myriad lights-they said I’d be impressed Arabian knights-at your primitive
best

A tourist oasis-reflects in seedy sunshades a monstrous oil tanker
It’s wound bleeding in seas

I heard a rumour-what have you done to her I heard a rumour-what have you done
to her

Veiled behind screens
Kept as your baby machine
Whilst you conquer more orifices
Of boys, goats and things
Ripped out sheeps eyes-no forks or knives

Myriad lights-they said I’d be impressed Arabian knights-at your primitive best "

^That Siousxie and The Banshees track is splendid...Got that eastern vibe, dissonant sorta scales which sound immediately "dark". Anymore like that?

Current 93- A Sadness Song
Not really dark as in evil; just sad and nostalgic. A lot of people don't like David Tibet's voice, but I reckon this track would sound weird without it...

^ oh brother, thats what i was waiting for before this day does end.
let us go to the rose - current 93

CTI-Euro rendezvous pt.1/4: this is on itunes if you are so inclined, a piece of buried history right here...

watch the video very close, be the audience hehe, shes jesting that shes not saying what she is singing, just blurred words of syllables, that sound familiar only if they do...
SoB - Israel
(this brought the confirmed smashing of the mt in this man)

SoB - Into the Light what is the darkness with out it?
(it F'n killz me how they are considered "gothic"lol)

im not dropping my Throbbing Gristle shit here, at least not most of it haha...);-P
well fuck it ~
maggot death
"give us raw material!"
"do i make you uncomfortable? its not easy.."

a simple master piece...
rozz williams - whorse

i want to snatch this little thing off my screen..!;-p
Rozz - A Fire of Uncommon Velocity

Coil - First 5 Mintes After a Violent Death
~:-| may your life there after be as true as the one with us here. how could i say to rest in peace to him..?-heh.

Blues for Allah -pt2
what are blues, or, who are blues rather??!?

Last edited:
^Throbbing Gristle are so fucking tripped out :)

Heres a one, by Sunn 0))), drone/doom stuff- this absolutely shatters the brain live, in an oh so good way: Sunn 0)))- White 1 I love the spoken word by Julian Cope in this track. So ominous...

Last edited:
^ that is amazing, i couldnt even imagine writing that so schematically and fluently.
FFS.

Psi Com - Xiola

"you can never go back-wards again!"

i do not believe she can seal the darkness, though...

regarding throbbing gristle, thats one of many projects genesis p. orridge was the creator of or involved in...

an endlessly interesting person.

Last edited:
Xentrifuge- Disembodied It is a form of blasphemy that I've posted this track in NEMD, but its flat out intsensely post-apocalyptic distorted chaos...

Electric Wizard makes some pretty soul-crushing music, and you should expect nothing less from the "Heaviest Band on Earth":

What do you think of Black Masses, their latest album? I just think its missing something. On first listen, I liked it but it just gets boring...

Electric Wizard- Return Trip This is my favorite tune by them...

Really good death metal from SepticFlesh- The Vampire From Nazareth From their latest album, which is fucking unreal. I don't like symphonic metal that much, but these guys do it really well...

Not impressed by Black Masses. I thought Witchcult Today was pretty good, but yeah, Black Masses is definitely missing that certain 'something' which makes an Electric Wizard album an Electric Wizard album.

^Yeah, I think they should probably pack up now; quite a few bands do the stoner doom stuff and a lot better, Ufomammut for one....

Orrrright, are you ready for this? Terribly garbled english lyrics screamed over haunting piano? Lyics about paedophilia? Nicole12- Ballerina I don't know if I see the point behind this music; the guy who creates is Mikko Aspa, in BM band Deathspell Omega and about a billion other black metal and noise projects....But yeah- chilling music, especially as the guy hasa wife and daughter himself....