• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Trip Preparation Thread

It really depends. The best pre-trip I had was a one month break during which I worked a lot intellectually to finish my classes. Reading, thinking, writing. I started practicing meditation in nature twice a day. It was this summer, which was very sunny around here. That is then the first time I tried 2C-E. You know, sober meditation isn't that easy. The more you do it, the longer and deeper it gets, to the point it requires no effort, you just feel like doing it. The 2C-E trip was spontaneous, I was free and of course, well rested, received it and tripped. Spiritual life changing experience... meditation at midnight in the woods, contemplation of darkness. That was one of my greatest trip.

I don't have a particular pre-trip thought apart from meditation or at least laying down, eating little before the trip. I am trying to take it on week-ends at least, after reading something interesting like you mentioned, when I am physically in shape, when my life is balanced... the same as most. I am trying to integrate a pre-trip to all of my trips, prayers could be interesting. There's no need to be religious for prayers, it can just be a wish for a good trip, a good intention for yourself. It is proved to work. It's just being positive.

e1evene1even said:
One common thing I saw when I was in Peru, and worked with shamans who use Ayahuasca exclusively and San Pedro exclusively was that there pre-trip preparations were were similar.

A cloth matt called a 'maisa' is layed out and sacred objects like crystals, rocks, artifacts of spiritual signifigance etc. are placed on it. Prayer is said, for protection, thanks and invocation of spirit guides, helpers, beings of light etc, intention for the journey is set and the sacrament is consumed.

Simple rituals like these really are effective ways to avoid bad trips/mindset IMO. Treat your sacrament like medicine. Don’t be afraid to bless it, ask for spiritual guidance and protection from positive sources, and spend a few minutes really concentrating on why you need to take this medicine and what you expect to get out of it.

A couple of personal items, good music, some nitrous oxide, more food and water for later are obviously going to be important. Eating a small meal (like a bowl of cereal or a piece of fruit) an hour before dosing also helps tremendously.

Also important is either securing a trip sitter or agreeing with someone beforehand that they will at least be open to a phone call if you get into trouble.

Pretty basic! ;)

Chewing calamus root can be a good preperation with for psychedelics, and it is quite synergistic with San pedro and H.B. woodrose also. There is a synergy with psilocybin, but not nearly as pronounced.

^ But MAN that shit tastes like ass!!! I tried chewing that shit once and the awful taste lingered for like 12 hours... if I had chewed it before tripping, I can only wonder what that might have done to my mindset.

Church said:
^ But MAN that shit tastes like ass!!! I tried chewing that shit once and the awful taste lingered for like 12 hours... if I had chewed it before tripping, I can only wonder what that might have done to my mindset.

The taste is definitely an aquired one. I hated it at first, but it grows on you as you begin to associate the flavor with the very beneficial effects.:)

Mushrooms I tend to be a bit more 'spontaneous' with when tripping and dont go to the same lengths to prepare for a mushroom trip as I do with LSD. LSD, due to the time commitment, tends to get a bit more planning involved.

For me, my 'trip prep' is.

- Ensure that all schoolwork is caught up. I try and make sure that I have all of my readings for the week done, and even some for next week.
- If any assignments are due, make sure they are done and out of the way
- Clean, clean, and clean some more. Tripping in a messy apartment will drive me nuts. Hell, I'm a bit slobby in my day to day (which also bothers me, and I'm trying to improve), but having a cluttered/messy apartment is enough to drive me bonkers while tripping. So much so, I've gone on mini-cleaning sprees while tripping if I didnt clean before hand. I've scrubbed my bathtub, I've done laundry, I've cleaned the litter box - not exactly fun things to do tripping, so I try and get all that sort of stuff out of the way.
- Keep in touch with loved ones - I'll typically call my mom and have a quick little catch up.

Then, there is the 'prepare the play list' - I'll load up my iPod with some old favorites/classicss - DE9: Transitions, Plastikman - Closer/Consumed, Pete Namlook - Fires of Ork tend to have a place on there always, and also be sure to toss on some fresh/new stuff.

If my trip is going to be primarily outside, pack up the backpack - pillow, blanket, water, fruit, juice.

I'll also do the 'prepare for everything, plan for nothing' - I'll get out some things that I think I may want/need and put them into an easy to access location. ie: if its the winter, and most of my trip will be inside, I'll still want to go outside - so I'll make sure that my hat, gloves, scarf, sweater, warm jacket, keys, lighter, etc are readily accessable. Trying to rip apart a closet to find your scarf while tripping can be a pain in the ass.

I'll also set aside some movies / games / etc -- I rarely ever get around to those, but during the lingering phase of the comedown, having something to toss on can be handy. I generally dont like watching TV while on LSD, but it has happened on occasion.

I'll but a bit of extra effort into the gym / eating healthy / etc that week - get my body feeling in tip top shape.

And, with LSD - a solid nights sleep. My favorite way to trip on LSD is to goto bed early, wake up early - and dose early in the morning, or by early afternoon at the latest. This always seems to provide me with a great trip, enjoying the afterglow as the sun sets - and leaving me in a state where I can easily sleep at the end of the day. I find that if I trip at night with LSD - it's going to be an all-nighter, I cant sleep during the day if I've done LSD that night.

But, some days - it just feels like the right time and place to trip, and I'll do it with minimal/no-prep.

Last edited:
shypht said:
Trying to rip apart a closet to find your scarf while tripping can be a pain in the ass.

How true. I have had a couple scary tangles with an entire clothes rack falling on me (twice!) and I couldn't seem to escape. Endless clothing.

My preparations? I get a bottle of good (spring stock) water. Our well is good enough, but knowing that the water in your bottle came from a spring you discovered just adds to the experience. I like a small splash of cold water in my mouth every now and then, because more often than not I find myself whistling while tripping.

I also make sure important objects are at hand and that the house is clean and walkways are wide open. Many times I have been caught NOT paying attention while walking (the ceiling, Marty, it's so awesome.) and that ends up being painful usually. If you're going to the woods and you're not a survivalist/I-got-lost-so-I-went-camping type of person, KNOW THE PATHS.

Also, turn off lighting that you find excessive if you're indoors. A simple trick to bring new life to good visuals is to turn those lights on while peaking. Everything is new.

Anything you think you might want during your experience needs to be at hand. A difficult situation follows any confusion over where your Zeppelin III vinyl went.

Most of all, though, don't make plans! If you're gonna go to a friend's house, go. But don't expect anything. Just experience everything.

--mic

shypt said:
Mushrooms I tend to be a bit more 'spontaneous' with when tripping

Man, how different we all are. No drug requires the kind of preparation for me than mushrooms do. Not so much time planning, though, as mental preparation to avoid succumbing to anxiety and spiritual terror.

i used to be all about preparing like mad for tripping. then i realized its best to just let it happen, so basically all i do is make sure im in a good physical and emotional state, and ensure that im going to be in a safe environment for about 8-10 hrs.

-wait till dark
-dose
-turn on good tunes

I personally feel that the preperation are almost as important as the trip it's self. I ususally spend 1 - 2 weeks before hand preparing. I meditate everyday prior to the trip and tell myself how amazing and life changing the trip is going to be. I like to organize the trip perfectly to make sure nothing upexpected happens during it. I make the trip as perfect as possible and do all i can to try to induce a spiritual experience.

I always prepare:
My music(alot of relaxing, native american, tribal etc)
Backpack with food, drinks, bud, etc
a camping chair.
The mountains/wooded area

I alwasy trip outdoors cause from experience the indoors just does not compare to the outdoors. Meditation is so important to a trip because it helps condition your mind to be able to relax and if you can relax your mind while tripping it is the most amazing experience ever.

^^ I used to do all of those things, but eventually I discovered that by expecting every trip to be a life-changing spiritual experience, I was setting myself up for some serious negativity when my trip was not. And as you keep tripping, you will definitely eventually experience a trip (or many) that are simply not spiritual or life-changing in any way.

Nowadays I definitely mentally prepare myself just by making sure I'm in a good frame of mind with nothing nasty hiding in the corners (that I am not prepared for). I make sure my space is reasonably cleaned up, and that I will not be bothered by outside influences for the duration. Aside from that, I just take it as it comes, and sometimes I end up finding something meaningful, and sometimes not. Hell, there are even a few substances that I take on a whim when I'm having a great day and the opportunity and desire presents itself. Examples of these drugs are AMT, DOC (low dose), and 5-MeO-MiPT.

I suppose that part of that for me, comes down to how I like dosing.

With LSD - I tend to prefer hefty doses. I find that on low doses of LSD, it feels as if "I'm stimulated enough to be off baseline, but not high enough to be fully absorbed into the trip" - so I tend to dose high to take me far out there, and those trips tend to require a bit more planning.

With mushrooms, I rather enjoy low-ish doses between 1-2g - that dose has always served me well as a social / party type dose. Its the kind of dose I can take, and head for an afternoon walk - and still be back to baseline enough to do grocery shopping a few hours later. Or, to head to a movie with friends, or swing out to a club and have a great time and not have it be overwhelming. Its a dose that also leaves me being /very/ able to control and navigate my thoughts. The time investment in mushrooms is just so much less than it is with LSD. I can chew them at 1, go grocery shopping at 6, do some homework after, be in bed at reasonable time, wake up feeling great. LSD - not so much, you tend to be strapped in for a long haul.

It's not too often I do a high dose of mushrooms - but when I do, they tend to get a bit more planning involved and they are not nearly as spontaneous. I've been wanting to do a 'high dose' trip for awhile on mush, but things just dont seem to line up for me.

for an outdoor trip of course:
- nice and safe place
- pot
- food
- water or fruit juice
- ipod 100% charged and with variated music
- kaleidoscope/s

^-- I'll second those ideas, ninja.

As an addition, if you think you might at all go outside when you trip, you should determine weather-appropriate clothing/precautions (be it a wool coat in the winter, or sunblock in the summer) ahead of time and leave it by the door so you make sure to wear it. Sometimes it's awfully hard to tell the temperature by feel, or remember why that might be important to take into consideration.

(Gotten some nasty sunburns like that... and once almost walked out into a snowstorm in just a sweater before the girlfriend caught me.) ;)

I got (two) killer Christmas gifts this year that will be coming with me on my future outdoor trips -- they are both kinda the same idea (from two diff people).

1. Skullcandy backpack - has speakers in the shoulder straps + a hookup for my ipod, its like a little portable stereo / backpack.

2. A logitec portable iPod stereo, same idea as above, but its a tiny thing that can easily fit into my backpack, hook my iPod up to it and I have a nice stereo -- the sound quality on it is better than the backpack actually.

Theres been times when I've been tripping outside (doubly so if I'm with friends), where I wish I could listen to my music, but not need to block out the sound(s) of the world around me. Looking forward to chilling on the beach, being able to listen to music - but still being able to hear the sound of the waves crashing, the planes flying over head, the sounds of birds chirping - and being able to converse with my tripping partner.

The Big and Dandy Methods of Trip Preparation Thread (New!)

How does one prepare for a certain trip?

1. make sure I can devote the time
2. make sure I'm in a comfortable environment
3. just take the stuff.

itsALLfake said:
How does one prepare for a certain trip?

Depends on your definition of certain, really. One can never really be prepared for where a trip will take you. Personally, I just make sure that I'm in a comfortable setting. I tried taking acid in a fairly crowded club once. I didn't like where the acid took me until I got out of the place. The place just became far too oppressive and intimidating for me, so I had to the hell out. I became very confused and frightened. Thankfully, I was with my girlfriend and a very good friend of mine, so they were able to look after me and get me out of there. The second I got out the door, everything was fine again.

trip.more said:
know as much as possible about the substance in question.

Yes, that's a must. The few times I've been able to share certain substances with friends I try to give them as much information as possible beforehand, so they can get a rough idea of what they're getting themselves into. I like exposing close friends to these things, but generally keep it to myself.