Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Trip Preparation Thread

nephil

Bluelighter
Welcome to the Big & Dandy Trip Preparation Thread

This thread is about both the mental aspects of preparation as well as the physical or material aspects:
- What rituals do you do?
- Do you meditate or use other methods to prepare mentally?
- Are there things you make sure to get like objects or typical food?
- What business do you take care of before starting to trip?

• A big tip for everyone is: turn off your phone! Only turn it on if you lost your friends and need to find them again, otherwise
    little good can come of calls had while tripping. Everything can wait, those things that usually can not wait are usually bad news
    anyway and hearing it when tripping won't do you any good either.

[Previous OP:]

What do you do? Before taking LSD or magic mushrooms, I like to prepare myself at least a few days before the actual trip. The process is not a complicated one, nor is it elaborate. The easiest are the marijunana and orange juice. I like to smoke during the come-up and at least once more during my trip. OJ might be a placebo effect, I've never done too much research on the effects but the taste of fruit is wonderful. The next task is to read some psychedelic literature at least once a day. Psychedelic drugs are a very interesting topic and I've always been interested in learning about them. I'm not that interested in the spiritual nature of the drug. I will however admit the presence of God and the drug revealing you to yourself is something I've experienced. It is a great teacher of life as well as being a very fun drug for recreation. Never expect any life knowledge from a psychedelic experience but like love, let it find you. One thing I've learned from LSD is that life's questions may never be answered. Do not seek them all the time. Socrates once said,"Death may be the greatest of all life's blessings". You only get one shot at this and someday you will die. Enjoy life most of all, and be happy with yourself. Life isn't all about riches, notches in the bed posts or the car you drive. But mostly do what makes you happy and never hold your head too low.

Okay back to the preparations. Sorry, I tend to ramble if you didn't notice. The next step is the music which due to mp3 players is very easy. I just make sure the battery is at 100% and ready to go. Tripping indoors if very easy because I have everything I need. The spontaneous movie/tv show is always the rest and I'll rarely watch a new movie whilst tripping. Next, I like to call a few loved ones and keep up on things. Any loved one will do, but I like grandma the best. This is my indoor routine. Outdoor is a little more but I'll save that for some other time.

Lets recap...

-pot and oj
-read psychedelic literature/philosophy
-charge mp3 player
-tripping toys
(rarely used but easily accessed)
-call a loved one or two

Then I pop the dose with a friend or just by myself and let the trip curtain drop, and the colors flow. Mine is not too elaborate and I'd love to hear a few trip preparations.

-sherm-

[original post:]

I am interested to know how some of you mentally prepare to trip? For example, what are some good methods for clearing your mind before you dose, and going into it with a clutter free head?

mod's note: title slightly edited

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to take a hot bath or shower right after I dose, then find a quiet place to do zazen while I come up.

I have not dropped Acid for quite a while now, like 3 years. The one thing that a friend shared with me, (that was his favorite thing to do to get ready) and became my favorite too was this: I had this big queen size comforter that was blue, it was our island! If any of us got Sketchy, or Paranoid, we would get on our Island. It was Safe, and Peaceful, and Comfortable too!
When a Rush hits me I get nauseous! Almost every time. The security of that blanket island was a good thing for me.
Mentally though, I talk to myself. I tell myself what a good time I am going to have, and "isn't it going to be Kewl to see the carpet doing it's Growing/Shrinking thing in that Paisley pattern again?" Not to mention that I will suddenly be able to communicate with ALL animals tele-pathicly! (No! Really! I can!)

For serious trips, I fast all day and spend the day in quiet contemplation. Before I take the medicine, I generally light some incense and walk around the house in quiet thought to 'chase them bad spirits' away. It is just a little ritual I have and it makes me feel good about what I am about to do.

damn... alot of diff ways everyone prepares. i must say i dont necessarily prepare for it. i try not to think too much about it so as to not get caught up in too much thought and just have fun with what comes out of it.
every experience is unique. it is as much my mind as it is my surroundings that affect my experience. and in some cases more so my surroundings because they influence my mind. as long as im around good people all has been well.

Before I eat acid I like to masterbate, just to get it out of the way. Then I play video games for the whole trip. PS2 RULES!!!

a good nights sleep,
wake up eat yur vitamins
and a 5 htp supplement
and a good breakfast
that has no milk, cheese, or meat
and even do a drawing before, during, and after the trip to learn more
plus 30 min of good meditation
like a mantra
om mani padme hum

23rd psalm, even if your a non - spiritual person its comforting, just switch the nouns around to fit ur life (allthough it will loose its meaning this way heh).

Don't trip to escape your problems...acid will bring them forward...
trip during a time in your life when everything makes sense, and you have no responsibilities the days after
trip when you have no excess mental stress
trip when you wake up and feel ready for an intense experience
dont trip when tired
dont trip when your frustrated
trip when it feels right :)
~hydra

I usually wake up and pop .25 or .50mg xanax to keep me from shaking and the persistent nervousness that usually is associated with acid.
don't trip when you are sleepy
don't trip if you can't have someone to call or go to
don't drive your car
remember to eat and drink as you normally would
don't drink alcohol when tripping

I always felt that preparing for a trip took away from a lot of the qualities that made tripping rewarding.
I prefered to leave things to chance and spontaneity. This way the trip would allow you to delve more into your subconscious mind.
Moreso, a few of my tripping buddies and myself would often take our doses of whatever, drive around and wait for the drugs to kick in and then see where we ended up and decide what we wanted to do. Letting the trip guide us, not us guide the trip.
Also, I completely disagree with your advice, Hydra. If I was having any problems, an acid trip was usually the best way for me to work them out.
The only thing I agree with is making sure you don't have responsibilities the next day. Simply because it's difficult to sleep after an LSD experience and if you're up until 6 in the morning, well, you're not doing anything productive the next day.
[ 12 August 2002: Message edited by: SovietContin ]

I think it is good to ground yourself with a realization from your previous trip. For instance, I always seem to start off thinking about the presence of fractal patterns in nature. Or the laws of thermodynamics as applied to social systems or random stuff like that. It just gives you that comfortable feeling of "this is not totally unexplored territory."
After that just kinda let your mind go where it will.

I try to only eat a light breakfast in the morning, keeping myself sober (no pot, no other drugs, no drinking, etc.)
I brew up a nice big pot of green tea with brown rice, light some incense, and put the curtains down in my apartment.
I take a footrest and put it up to my couch, put a table with my bong, bowls, reading materials, etc. next to me and leave that as my "womb" to retreat to where I can relax, meditate, watch DVDs, play video games, or just talk to my girlfriend (who has been my tripping partner of the last two years now).
I like to walk around the room with the burning incense so it gets into all the corners (similar to some native american ceremonies where they walk the four corners...)
I like to have a couple big jugs of Gatorade on hand, as I get bad cotton mouth from the pot I smoke later in the trip.
Once I begin to feel the effects I like to just flow with it and do what seems right, to a point of course. I'm not going to go play in traffic on acid, but for the most part I do a lot of weird stuff like shoveling snow out of our apartment complex's parking lot (my landlord's job), rolling down hills, hiking to the waterfall near my house, taking a walking tour of our area's churches (we have some very beautiful and diverse ones in Ithaca)....
You get the most mileage out of finding out what is important to you, and constructing some easy to use, minor sort of protocol that helps to anchor your trip. Once the drug takes hold things will be very different, but you know that the groundwork you laid in place is the same no matter what.... the "womb" and my gatorade are waiting for me no matter what's going on, and I don't even have to think about getting shit together, cause I took care of it ahead of time.

Also, I completely disagree with your advice, Hydra. If I was having any problems, an acid trip was usually the best way for me to work them out
for you, and for me, and for an experienced user, maybe...
but for joe-user, who doesnt know what they are doing totally, this could be bad recipe

i never do anything before, I just pop it and laugh my ass off. I find that if you don't make a big deal out of it, it is easier to remind yourself that it is just a drug.

I like to mentally prepare myself by thinking about my problems and centering those near my concsious, so when the time comes to delve into the sub I am ready. I enjoy working out problems and stress through tripping, it always seems to be a nice catharsis.

I didn't start off as an experienced user. I had virtually no experience with drugs in general when I first started using LSD.. definantly just experimenting at the time. I just went with it.

Set and Setting... I am sure you have heard about.
Be in the right mindset : (Dont trip after losing a girlfriend/boyfriend/job and such.)
Setting, be somewhere you feel comfortable..
Also, if you dont trip alone (Which I like the most, but I am the exception.) Be sure you REALLY REALLY trust the person/people you trip with.
Most important of all - careful of the dosage... 1-3 hits might be fine normally - but maybe one time those 3 hits you take may have the most powerful concentration of LSD you could imagine, you lose vision, tactile, memory, self, and so on.... (Long story)
(Note: taken 14 hits before at once, that were about as strong as 1 or those 3 hits - careful.)
1 hit = right amount.
gl, small doses = good trips / high doses = dice roll.

dont drink??? drinkign usually doesnt affect my trip... except when i come down i finally get drunk... i guess it would be easy to drink too much though while tripping....
i usually shower... eat a small breakfast... and just go about my normal day after dosing