• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Syrian Rue & Harmala MAOI Alkaloids Thread

I'll look around.

I have a pretty hardass stomach so I'll try the harmala's first. If it doesnt sit well then I just lost 15 bucks. Oh well.

And while I'd love to buy a Caapi Log, again I dont exactly have what you'd call parental freedom just yet.

Syrian rue extract was OK for me - start low etc.

Does anyone have any experience with harmala + Abilify (aripiprazole). I can't find ANYTHING about MAOIs and Abilify on the net... just wondering if anyone's dared to be the guinea pig, or if I should just do it myself? Would 3g of Rue be a good test dose?

It's not dangerous. Just search aripiprazole maoi , and you'll find that there are studies on how the combination is able to help depressed patients.

Just take it slow. There's nothing in the pharmacology that would suggest a negative interaction between the two.

figured id hit this thread up. im gona be tripping on lsd next week and i take nardil. Will this increase or decrease the affects and is it safe? i read on the erowid links and one link said maoi's increase the affects where as the other said nardil decreases it im confused

hmm my bad i know i already have a thread for this so i apolagize to the mod for some reason i thought this thread was in od srry

I'm currently extracting 10 grams of fine-ground harmala seeds using the Manske-method, which involves soaking or boiling (in my case boiling to save time) in vinegar and water, filtering and using regular NaCl to precipitate the active alkaloids. Right now I'm at the filtering stage and it seems to be going nicely with some yellow drops coming out of the brown gunk.

My question is: have you found that the extracted alkaloids provide a cleaner experience with regards to nausea and general bodyload? When I ate raw seeds, I had a very powerful experience but also intense nausea which almost caused me to vomit. Any input?

BTW: I really don't get this talk about harmala and other MAOi's giving no buzz. 5 grams of seed was enough for me to enter a dissociative dreamlike state in which I would experience the future before the past and hear distinct music inside my brain (in addition to the marked visuals, which were dark and inescapable, adding to the depressive nihilistic tone of the whole experience).

Last edited:
hey i figured this is the right thread to ask this in but does ordering some syrian rue seeds unwanted attention im using it as a decoration :)

i figured it was fine since its unscheduled, just curious.

harmala does not attract unwanted attention. in fact you can usually find harmala seeds at a middle eastern grocery, they may be called "esfand" or "esphand" and can be used as incense to cleanse a room of the evil eye. alcoholic extraction of the seeds provides a rich red dye.

after taking a 2-3g cap of p harmala and waiting about an hour what dose of DMT should i take and should i put it in a cap aswell? or should it be smoked?

figured id hit this thread up. im gona be tripping on lsd next week and i take nardil. Will this increase or decrease the affects and is it safe? i read on the erowid links and one link said maoi's increase the affects where as the other said nardil decreases it im confused

Since LSD is not metabolized by MAO, we would expect either no interaction or reduced effects. Why reduced fx? Chronic administration of an MAOAI could lead to down-regulation of serotonergic receptors key to LSD's fx.

ebola

harmala does not attract unwanted attention. in fact you can usually find harmala seeds at a middle eastern grocery, they may be called "esfand" or "esphand" and can be used as incense to cleanse a room of the evil eye. alcoholic extraction of the seeds provides a rich red dye.

alright thats nice to know. thanks doode. :D

Since LSD is not metabolized by MAO, we would expect either no interaction or reduced effects. Why reduced fx? Chronic administration of an MAOAI could lead to down-regulation of serotonergic receptors key to LSD's fx.

ebola

chronic administration in a pharmaceutical context yes, but i can imagine a one-time dose of harmala would do nothing but potentiate an LSD trip. even though LSD is not eaten by MAO, harmala does have 5HT2 action and will change the 'color' of any drugs taken concurrently.

while i have never tried it personally, i've read that harmala + lsa is a synergistic combo for this reason. however the bodyload may also be increased, as harmala causes dizziness and nausea in most people.

to coombesy: if you are eating the harmala, most of its action will be inhibiting MAO in the gut, and thus you can capsulate ~100mg DMT and eat it 30 minutes afterwards for "anahuasca" (analog + huasca) experience. a single dose of harmala is cleared relatively quickly (6-12 hours) from the body.

i have no experience with eaten harmala + smoked dmt, or smoked harmala alkaloids + smoked dmt, but theoretically both should be a stronger experience than the smoked dmt alone. as above, harmala also changes the color of a trip.

the one combo that does not make very much sense is smoked harmala alkaloids + eaten dmt, as very little harmala will make its way from the lungs to the gut, and most of the dmt will probably be destroyed before it reaches the bloodstream.

as always, NEVER COMBINE a monoamine releaser with an MAOI, as either serotonin syndrome or a hypertensive crisis may result. personally I have eaten sharp cheddar cheese before and after harmala ingestion with no noticeable effect, but I would NEVER try a PEA or amphetamine.

after taking a 2-3g cap of p harmala and waiting about an hour what dose of DMT should i take and should i put it in a cap aswell? or should it be smoked?

it really depends on the strength of the trip you are looking for.

30-100mg seems to be the norm, but that is a wide dose range.

With smoking it you will be bettter able to guage your dose

chronic administration in a pharmaceutical context yes, but i can imagine a one-time dose of harmala would do nothing but potentiate an LSD trip. even though LSD is not eaten by MAO, harmala does have 5HT2 action and will change the 'color' of any drugs taken concurrently.

The person who I quoted, to whom I replied, purported to "take nardil", leading me to assume a history of regular dosing for medical purposes. Have a link on the receptor affinities for harmaline and/or harmine? It sounds plausible, but I'd enjoy seeing the data. Regardless, you argument about how the lsd + p. harmala experience should feel stands.

as always, NEVER COMBINE a monoamine releaser with an MAOI, as either serotonin syndrome or a hypertensive crisis may result.

There are key exceptions, involving selective maob inhibition and extremely cautious, minute, regimented dosing. However, almost all humans simply lack the self-discipline to negotiate such safely (I am likely included in this group. . . :/).

I have eaten sharp cheddar cheese before and after harmala ingestion with no noticeable effect, but I would NEVER try a PEA or amphetamine.

Well, who knows the dosage of tyramine in the cheese...or degree and time-course of absorption thereof, or the degree of effective inhibition of MAOA. But you're entirely correct: monoamine-release (at least with known drugs) is COMPLETELY incompatible with inhibition of MAOA. Don't let the manic tweakers on high-dose selegiline in Advanced Drug Discussion try to convince you otherwise. ;)

Okay...I'm starting to ramble, so communique terminated. ;)

ebola

Do all MAOI's Feel the Same? Syrian Rue vs Caapi vs prescription

HELLO!!

I once took about 6g of Syrian Rue and experienced severe vertigo and nausea. I was just wondering if it will feel the same on high doses of caapi or other maoi's. Or if there's something in particular about harmaline that makes you feel like shit. Thanks.

i beleieve the beta carbolines tend to be more nauseating but also more "trippy" or able to produce a high of its own more so than pharmaceutical MAOi's like moclobemide.

I would prefer a pharmaceutical MAOi due to lack of bodyload.
But am interested in what things like harmine/harmaline have to offer.

i beleieve the beta carbolines tend to be more nauseating but also more "trippy" or able to produce a high of its own more so than pharmaceutical MAOi's like moclobemide.

I would prefer a pharmaceutical MAOi due to lack of bodyload.
But am interested in what things like harmine/harmaline have to offer.

I see. So the answer is no, not all maoi's make you feel the same, and in the case of harmaline, make you feel like shit.