• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Psychedelics & Gender Thread and Poll

For those of you who use psychedelics: what is your gender?

• Male

Votes: 122 84.7%
  • Female

Votes: 22 15.3%

• Total voters
What statistics, exactly? When I looked into this, the very first thing I found was NIDA analyzing drug use surveys, and they found that "'Males are more likely than females to have an opportunity to use drugs," but, "There is no male-female difference with respect to trying a drug once an opportunity to do so has been experienced.' ... The findings are consistent for marijuana, cocaine, hallucinogens, and heroin, Dr. Anthony says. The proportion of opportunities to use marijuana was 59 percent of males compared with 43.9 percent of females; to use cocaine, 28.7 percent of males and 18.3 percent of females; to use hallucinogens, 18.6 percent of males and 10 percent of females; and to use heroin, 7.8 percent of males and 3.2 percent of females."

My source, with graphs.

That definitely doesn't seem like at least twice as many males compared to females to me.

I looked at data from european drug monitoring centre:

for cannabis:

2bj1TjP.png

Cannabis:
www.emcdda.europa.eu/data/stats2015#displayTable:GPS-08
LSD:
www.emcdda.europa.eu/data/stats2015#displayTable:GPS-92
MDMA:
www.emcdda.europa.eu/data/stats2015#displayTable:GPS-71

What i'm looking at with this data is prevealance of drug use in previous year for all adults between 15 and 64, which found out for my country and for most others, a significantly bigger number of men who use drugs than females. LSD for example (0.5 vs. 0.1) for the case of UK.
I'm not here, to argue which methodology is better to extrapolate to this forum of blue light, i'm just commenting that this forum poll that got us these unsurprising results fits the data, that i have better, compared to the data that you posted, which have shown no significant difference in - not USE - , but - having the oppurtunity - to use various drugs.

I looked at data from european drug monitoring centre:

What i'm looking at with this data is prevealance of drug use in previous year for all adults between 15 and 64, which found out for my country and for most others, a significantly bigger number of men who use drugs than females. LSD for example (0.5 vs. 0.1) for the case of UK.
I'm not here, to argue which methodology is better to extrapolate to this forum of blue light, i'm just commenting that this forum poll that got us these unsurprising results fits the data, that i have better, compared to the data that you posted, which have shown no significant difference in - not USE - , but - having the oppurtunity - to use various drugs.

That is all well and good, but the link I posted covered both the opportunity and actual use. The fact that you can claim that your information is better when you clearly didn't even look at mine tells me that discussing this with you is pointless, so goodbye.

That is all well and good, but the link I posted covered both the opportunity and actual use. The fact that you can claim that your information is better when you clearly didn't even look at mine tells me that discussing this with you is pointless, so goodbye.

No, as I said, i'm actually not claiming any of the data is better completely, i'm saying that mine happens to help explain why there are so many more men in poll than women in addition to men being more active on forums by default, why your data doesn't help explain that. That's all i'm saying.

No, as I said, i'm actually not claiming any of the data is better completely, i'm saying that mine happens to help explain why there are so many more men in poll than women in addition to men being more active on forums by default, why your data doesn't help explain that. That's all i'm saying.
In other words, you're saying that your data is better. Don't try to deny it, that's not even the point. Your data is better, which is why I requested it from you in the first place. My issue is not with that, but with the fact that you clearly didn't even pay attention to my data, based on the way you referenced it. That signals to me that you just want to hear your own opinions, and that I'm wasting my time by talking to you.

You gave up just when the repartee was about to get interesting, Lys. You really shouldn't expect people to always respond in a way that you consider ideal (or even proper) to what you write. That's simply not realistic. My suggestion is that you get over this insignificant faux pas -- yours and Catodion's -- and resume the conversation. I was looking forward to reading a potentially healthy discussion... Please indulge me.

Lamanoguacha, while I can empathize with your interest in this topic, I do not think we are on the same page here. To be honest, I have seen you around the forum for quite some time and enjoy your contributions, but I am struggling not to feel a little offended by what you said. I do not consider a faux pas which undermines the point of having a conversation to begin with to be insignificant, and I do not appreciate your assumption that my reasons for leaving this discussion must be due to it just not going the way I wanted. All I did was request more information while referencing a quick web search that was contrary to his statements, and I was met with a complete and obvious dismissal of my contribution and the statement "I'm not here to argue." As I see it, there is no conversation to be had, and I have no desire to push for one.

I never knew any female psychedelic users where I grew up, but when I moved to where I live now, I found a bunch. A friend of mine is a woman and she likes to trip sort of like I do... regularly, and she's very into the spirituality element of it (moreso than I am currently, but in the same kind of way I was some number of years ago). My girlfriend trips occasionally... she's never had a breakthrough sort of experience but she wants to. I don't even detect a real gender discrepancy in this community, but I do in other places. But anyway, they're certainly out there. I think there are probably more males using them without trying to be a "psychonaut" than there are females because males (especially young males) have more of a chance of engaging in acts considered "extreme" or risky. But in terms of people looking to use them for personal growth and exploration, I bet there isn't much of a meaningful disparity. Think Alexander and Ann Shulgin. I think I just happen to be lucky enough to live in a place where there is a high concentration of people interested in that side of psychedelics/life.

In other words, you're saying that your data is better. Don't try to deny it, that's not even the point. Your data is better, which is why I requested it from you in the first place. My issue is not with that, but with the fact that you clearly didn't even pay attention to my data, based on the way you referenced it. That signals to me that you just want to hear your own opinions, and that I'm wasting my time by talking to you.

I could start arguing how your data only talks about boys and girls, which doesn't demographically fit the composition of our forum. But that's not even the real issue here.

The real issue is, the data for that study comes from 1993 done by NHSDA. Let's use the primary sources if we can as well as use the most recent findings of the studies, which was done in 2013 by NHSDA (obviously) and can be found here.

In 2013, as in prior years, the rate of current illicit drug use among persons aged 12 or olderwas higher for males (11.5 percent) than for females (7.3 percent). Males were more likelythan females to be current users of several different illicit drugs, including marijuana (9.7 vs.5.6 percent), cocaine (0.8 vs. 0.4 percent), and hallucinogens (0.7 vs. 0.3 percent).
(pg. 25)

Yes, marijuana is perhaps not obviously 2:1 in favor of men, I'll give you that, but coke and hallucinogens seem to be, which correlate with the data i provided from the european study.
(Just for clarity, your study put MDMA in hallucinogens category).

You clearly don't even understand what I'm saying. Don't bother responding to me again, we've taken up enough of this thread, and I will not respond again.

Well, if Catodion's responses bent you out of shape, and if you took offense to what I wrote -- which was merely a way to mediate between you guys in an attempt to get an adult discussion going -- then it's safe to assume that psychedelics haven't done much for you. Perhaps you should quit them until you reassess. You've shown yourself in just a few posts to be far too sensitive. That's disappointing, especially since it's clear to me that you could be one of the more valuable contributors on this forum. I'll avoid interacting with you for the time being, but I'll keep an eye on you. Hopefully, the way that you deal with others here will improve over time.

Let's move away from this misunderstanding that I, frankly, don't really understand, and get back to the topic at hand. I consider all of you to be solid contributors so I hope this doesn't dissuade anyone from posting. I'm not seeing any reason for insults or judgments here.

^What?!? I always love when our ladies represent!

Treemale myself....:sus:

I think this poll is a little misrepresentative.

At large events where lots of people take psychedelics (like music festivals), the genders are usually about 50/50.

At large events where lots of people take psychedelics (like music festivals), the genders are usually about 50/50.
Well, honestly i think there are still more male-drugs users generally.

And you think that these psy music festivals are representative?
I've never been to any of those festivals. I don't have the type of friends that would listen to that music.

bit of off-topic:
I don't buy the notion that everybody does psychedelics on burning man, probably not even on something like a cozy little psytrance gathering of few hundred people.
The "everybody is tripping on festivals" is in my opinion a personal delusion of those, that try to justify their drug-use on these festivals, as if their own drug-use on these festivals would in any way be scrutinized or condemned by those who don't do drugs at festivals.
Don't get me wrong, there's an enormous amount of drug use on any festival, especially the psychedelic ones, it's just realistically nowhere close to what some people tripping there imagine it to be.
And it's my assumption, that out of those people, that take drugs at these festivals, 2/3 are likely men, even though, there's roughly 1/2 of the men over-all.

In my general experience there are less female psych users. This however greatly depends on what scene you meet these people in.

Could the reason (or a reason) be obtained from looking at the whole of humanity and the situation we are in at this point. The world is male dominated for the most part. Could this in turn be driving more of the aware males to search for the higher meaning in life. Whereas the average female would not have the drive to search like the average male would. Simply because they are already more "in-tune" with the direction humanity needs to go than the average male is?