• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Psychedelics and Food Thread - We're Hungry Hungry Hippies

I don't really eat anything while tripping. When I took LSD I ate some leftover Chinese food it was shrimp lo-mein. I also have drank a beer on a low/moderate dose of LSD, and I think another time on LSD I ate a granola bar, and while on high doses of mushrooms I did not get hungry at all so I did not eat. Also on high dose mushroom trips I had to force myself to drink water since I wasn't thirsty. The first time I ate mushrooms I drank some grape kool-aid my friend had made and I just sipped it slowly throughout the night and on into the next morning.

When I've taken both LSD and mushrooms on separate occasions I would just drink water while on them. The next day I would eat fresh fruit, and drink green tea and water.

When I've used cannabis which is a psychedelic I've eaten pretty much whatever I could get my hands on. I enjoyed putting tortilla chips into strawberry yoghurt and eating those. Candy was something else I'd eat stoned mainly skittles and starburst. I would try to eat healthy though and eat fresh fruit, drink green or black tea, and drink lots of water if I had cottonmouth. I've also drank a lot of beer and liquor while stoned but I know some people don't like to do this or they get sick from it.

I don't use cannabis or any psychedelics now and I haven't for years. I do take daily vitamins and supplements though.

Fruit is my go to food, especially red grapes, pineapple, and melons. But i do love me some starbursts or skittles oh and sour gummy worms.

Hey thoughts,
what are some examples of Raw fermented foods?

Pickles made with the traditional lacto fermentation, kim chi, sour kraut, kombucha, rejuvelac, traditionally yogurts and cheese are raw cultured foods too.

I make raw vegan cheeses by using blended nut paste as a food source rather than dairy. I grow probiotic bacteria and yeast cultures which are used to culture foods like this, just blend up nuts to a creamy paste, add culture (or you can let nature give you bacteria from the air but it takes longer) and let it sit at 80–90°F for anywhere from 6–24hrs, covered with a cloth. Depending on what nuts you used and any other goodies you added (spices, fruits veggies etc) you can arrive at a range of cheesy flavors. I've had it get cheddary, mozarelley, skunky bleu cheese like, sour creamish and cream cheese ish before...it tastes quite good! And honestly I feel a ginormous difference in my daily body feel and contentment when taking in cultured foods, I really rank it up there with fruit fasting in terms of notable difference. Probiotics are the shit, it seems like the craze in the vitamin section of stores now, centrum probiotic and other name brands. But culturing your own is rewarding and you can develop custom strains of yeasts and bacteria by inoculating your next ferment with some from your previous as a seed...i had a thirteen generation old strain which was awesome stuff, but I drank them all...burp :)

Thanks for a lot of great tips here, I will need to make a summary later on all of it. Eating before during and after tripping is very important if you are doing this often and want to survive, lol. Sometimes a party can last for a week or two, and not listening to your body and what it needs is very dangerous and can give you a much worse comedown from the trips.

Anyone have any particular fruits, berries or vitamins that you know are good for boosting dopamine growth in the brain? serotonin growth in the brain? After a har session of MXE I feel much of something is missing in my body, I have yet not understood what vitamins or enzymes that are being burned away in deconstructing the MXE chemicals in your system. The other day a good protein shake combined with a good dose of cacao powder seemed to ease the comedown atleast for me. I really have to look into this one.

Regarding fruits and acid, LSD as example.

Vitamin C and citric acid combined with LSD or psychotropic drugs - LOOK OUT
From what I remember there is supposedly some nutrients NOT to be taken with some drugs. Is it true, well you tell me. A quick search and this is what I find and this is also in harmony with my own understanding.

LSD is metabolized in the liver. The enzyme involved is unknown, but is probably one of the P-450 cytochromes. Cytochrome P-450 3A4 is significantly inhibited by grapefruit juice (http://www.anaesthetist.com/physiol/basics/metabol/cyp/g.htm). Note the drug interaction warnings ! There may be a similar effect on LSD breakdown. This article claims that Oranges (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2001-02/UoNC-Lgso-0602101.php) have a similar, but less pronounced, effect. Acids, such as Vitamin C or citric acid, also affect the rate at which some drugs are absorbed. If the drug happens to be psychotropic, this can alter the users perception of the drug's actions.

Same can be said for benzo + grapefruit juice, this will make the benzo potency x5 or something. Which is why you should not drink grapefruit juice while using benzo pills (or should I say - which is why you would want to drink grapefruit juice while eating fewer pills - depending on your taste).

Hemp Proteins
The hemp proteins have 12 amino acids packed which our body needs but cannot make themselves, to me this sounds extremely handy. I usually add some of this into my protein shake!

Goji Beans and Caco Nibs
Theese are boths some small snacks you get in your health store, atleast where I live. Theese two combined at your table during partying and you have yourself an erergy packed snack full of nutrients and anti-oxidants. Goji beans being the most energy packed beans in the world, and cacao nibs having all the benefits from cacao. I always have this at home, however I have become lazy in remembering eating them - shame on me!

Caco Nibs by them selves does not taste good, thats why you mix them with the goji beans which also doesnt taste magical. However the taste is more than OK combined, and given the benefits of them you will soon appretiate the taste and good feeling it gives you.

++ Royal Jelly ++
This is a good one, it is know to stimulate the growth of neural stem cells and glial cells in the brain. I like to think we burn some brain cells during tripping, so when it comes to rebuilding them why not give them some extra power - royal jelly! Again this has alot of extra benefits aswell, but this factor alone is all I need to know for eating it every day.

Magnesium - Question
I know that for atleast amphetamines magnesium is good to supplement your body especially beforehand and I would think during aswell, since the body seems to burn magnesium while being under influence of amphetamines. When googling dopamine and magnesium however I do not get the same clear answers, as it seems to be something of an unclear matter if people should add magnesium. Also sleeping problems seems occure if taking magneisum before sleep.

Anyone here that have dived into the magnesium study for why and when we are supposed to take it, for optium performance? What I am looking for is kindof knowing when I need to be extra cocious and make sure to add magnesium in my trips.

How can I forget, lol, as I am about to go make myself a little potion of this now...

L-Arginine
This is something you would like to use on a daily basis, it's anti-oxidant packed and rinses your body. It will flush your veins and make them good as new. Be warned however, that this is something you do NOT want to be using while partying as the detoxing properties of L-Arginine makes your body temp go up and all kinds of inside crap are being sweated out. No need to make the trip extra annoying, but do use this during normal days.

L-Arginine is a god send when detoxing your body!

Juice - made of pure red beet
After visiting the health store I was loking into the different special juices available, and ended up with a few extra ones. This one has some nice properties. Rich Source of Vitamin C, Rich Source of Betaine and has shown to reduce high blood pressure. All in all this juice is very nice for your blood vessels.

Juice - made of pure sellery
Supposedly a very nice gift for your kidneys health, lots of other benefitial treats with sellery juice. It's very alkalizing so it equalizes the body's PH which is important for peak health. Celery leaves are high in vitamin A, whilst the stems are an excellent source of vitamins B1, B2, B6 and C and dense in potassium, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, sodium and essential amino acids.

Juice - made of pure tomatoes
Recent studies have shown that their anti-oxidants are extremely stress releaving, so a glass of tomatoe juice each day should be on everyones diet.

Last edited:
While tripping i usually try to eat at some point b/c i've found low blood sugar can kinda cause an experience to turn on you if you're not careful. I usually go with fruit, for some reason it still seems appealing when i'm not terribly hungry.

I also usually take a good bit of magnesium before i use amphetamine(esque) empathogens, i.e. MDA, MDMA, x-APB's, cathinones, to negate the bruxia (jaw clenching). Seems to work noticeably well.

While in aftermath or beforehand depending on the compund in use and what nevrotransmitter you are going to use there are two things you might want to know of:

Tyrosine
This will accually make your dopamine levels increase, so a nice way to get back dopamine.

Tryptophan / 5-HTP
Tryptophan will through catabiolism turn into 5-htp which then turns into serotonin. Be aware that doing anti depressants or other SRI might give you serotonine syndrone, so this should also be done with uttermost care. However after a MDMA og MDAI round this can help you rebuild serotonin levels much faster than otherwise.

- - - - - -

Now if only someone expert in catabolism could tell us when to eat what and why molecules break down and need which vitamin at what times, then we would really start to be professors in our field, :)

fresh fruit and crunchy veggies! Berries and cured meat and cheese are also amazing. And nuts. And of course smoothies!! I feel like a lot of people forget to eat properly while tripping. If you keep your body happy you keep your brain happy, keep your brain happy and you keep your mind happy!

I would also add that if being a little careless with forgetting nutrients and only drinking water, something that atleast helps me is a piece of bread to just "gather the water" so to speak, Im guessing it's the fiber in the bread? Atleast for me some bread are very nice. Also if in acute need of nutrients a piece of bread with honey on seems to be a very nice quick feed.

However I do agree with most people in here that being smart and having fruits in the house is a very good idea, after all - they also taste delicious!

Vitamin C and citric acid combined with LSD or psychotropic drugs - LOOK OUT
From what I remember there is supposedly some nutrients NOT to be taken with some drugs. Is it true, well you tell me. A quick search and this is what I find and this is also in harmony with my own understanding.

LSD is metabolized in the liver. The enzyme involved is unknown, but is probably one of the P-450 cytochromes. Cytochrome P-450 3A4 is significantly inhibited by grapefruit juice (http://www.anaesthetist.com/physiol/basics/metabol/cyp/g.htm). Note the drug interaction warnings ! There may be a similar effect on LSD breakdown. This article claims that Oranges (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2001-02/UoNC-Lgso-0602101.php) have a similar, but less pronounced, effect. Acids, such as Vitamin C or citric acid, also affect the rate at which some drugs are absorbed. If the drug happens to be psychotropic, this can alter the users perception of the drug's actions.
Same can be said for benzo + grapefruit juice, this will make the benzo potency x5 or something. Which is why you should not drink grapefruit juice while using benzo pills (or should I say - which is why you would want to drink grapefruit juice while eating fewer pills - depending on your taste).

The potentiation powers of grapefruit juice but it does potentiate. Oranges have no 6’,7’-dihydroxybergamottin so will not affect the drug, aside from tasting awesome. Vitamin c and other acids will minutely decrease absorption on amphetamine based psychs, but only in the stomach and minutely as they do not acidify the body very much and psychedelics and amphetamines, while sharing the same backbone, do not share the pharmacokinetics.

The on thing that all of the foods and supplements will do 100% of the time is elicit a very powerful placebo response. If you want a supplement to make you feel good during the insanely suggestible state that is tripping you will feel good. That is why niacin is so good for bad trips, it gives aflishing sensation and becomes an active placebo giving one feeling and suggesting others.

Sorry for the verbal cholera, amps+caffiene+yohimbine+gingko+vimpocetine.

Last edited:
I fast. I may eat about 4-5 tablespoons if hemp seeds, put through my food processor, say 4-6 hours before?

If I could, I may enjoy fruit while tripping. But I have health concerns.

I feel better when I fast... To a point, if course.

We had a bunch of short food related threads across time and space, so...merged and Big & Dandified. Please enjoy.

I love eating mangoes while tripping. Before and after, too. Fruit always makes a yummy healthy snack..

I love eating mangoes while tripping. Before and after, too. Fruit always makes a yummy healthy snack..

Absolutely. I used to be one of the kids that hated fruit, and even after that faded I never really ate much fruit unless I was out of food and it was too late to pop to the shops, but psychedelics have made me absolutely adore fruit - and when tripping it's even better.

Just don't be surprised if you spend 30 minutes eating that one apple, taking breaks between bites to ponder the very existence of every molecule that you just swallowed, and the journey it took to reach your hands.

what to eat and how long before shrooms trip

Last time I tripped, I almost fainted from low blood pressure, low sugar I guess and probably was dehydrated. When I tried to go downstairs I felt like I was sucked in a vortex ( fuzzy vision, head pressure... almost blackout) So I was wondering what do you guys eat before a trip and how long before because I heard that you have to make sure your stomach is putting all its effort into shrooms! Do you drink something with sugar/ salty to prevent low blood pressure during the trip?

Personally I think the whole fasting thing is WAY over-rated.
If I was going to dose in the evening I'd have a nice hearty breakfast of what ever I like, a decent lunch of something that isn't going to upset your stomach, and then just wait a couple hours before dosing. Nothing wrong with having a snack when you're shrooming either. If you have an appetite and are feeling good, food is likely to taste astoundingly good (though you prolly won't want much)try fruit. If I was feeling faint and definitely not hungry I'd maybe drink some veggie or orange juice. Then eat a late diner when I'm almost baseline, maybe a grilled cheese and some tomato soup, decent nourishing comfort food.
I normally drink mostly water, coffee and a bit of juice most days, I don't switch it up to trip unless I feel like drinking lots of water, in which case I do.
Always worked for me. Just don't eat a heavy dinner, and then eat shrooms for dessert and expect them to work as strong as they could.

Why not consider a granola bar, you know the type with cereal, nuts and honey-like stuff. That sweet sticky stuff should be good for your blood sugar and the cereal and nuts are like health foods sort of. And while tripping I often long for healthy food. Fruit is another excellent example of something healthy containing water and sugars.
Actually a habit of mine that crept in was trying new exotic fruits on new trips to see how I would react to the explosion of new tastes and textures.

Best and last trip on boomers I ever did.... bout 4 grams very dry, so I put it in a smoothie. No lie a good healthy green smoothie... and that shit ROCKED my world, fastest I ever came up.... my guess is the fruit I loaded it up with helped it digest quick and enter the blood stream fast.

In all honesty though, Just try not to eat them on a very full stomach, and yeah it is ok to snack. For me I always tried to stay away from dairy.... cept once when I ate them on a pizza, didn't cooked on it just put em on the slices.... felt kinda queasy. Some one told me to stay away from milk.... not sure why .... milk just doesn't sound very good anyway .... not whilst trippin.

I don't think anyone should fast..... not for more then a few hours after a big meal anyway. General rule for me.... 3 to 2 hours out from a large meal..... ie breakfast lunch or dinner closer to 3 from dinner.

GOing in on a compleately empty stomach may also make you feel queasy.