View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Nitrous Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The blue lips is from hypoxia: too little oxygen.
Nitrous seems to fool your body into thinking it has enough oxygen when in reality it doesn't. I've had the blue lips once and heard from other people that they have felt like shit from taking a little too much nitrous without oxygen in the balloon. For about an hour after that it can feel negative.
I really doubt Olney's Lesions are something to worry about unless you are doing absolutely insane amounts of nitrous but nerve or brain cell damage from severe B12 deficiency could be sustained...

Don't know if its premature but I consider this answered. Leaving you the chance to respond, also for further questions you may use the Big & Dandy Nitrous Thread, if not now then in the future when this thread may be closed.

Copy/Pasted from the other thread
Me!!!!! =D said:
While low doses of nitrous can show neuroprotective properties, NMDA antagonists definitely have the potential to cause neurotoxicity. This has been demonstrated in rat brains.
I don't know the specifics though.

A few whippets here or there is nothing to worry about though, just take it slow and be sure to supplement some B12 during the night.
As is most often the case, moderation is key.

The trouble with the rat brain stuff is it's usually injected directly into the rats brain every 4 hours for days on end. When you compare that to someone who takes an oral dose once every 3 months it doesn't really correllate too well.

heavy doses of heroin (or any opiate for that matter) turn your lips blue and it doesn't destroy brain cells.

in my circle of friends we like to say that you lose more brain cells in a night of drinking than you do from nitrous.

Not sure if there is any truth to that though, anyone here know?

The trouble with the rat brain stuff is it's usually injected directly into the rats brain every 4 hours for days on end. When you compare that to someone who takes an oral dose once every 3 months it doesn't really correllate too well.

Yes that's somtimes the case but that dosen't mean all the data isn't applicable. I only said NMDA antagonists have the potential for neurotoxicity, which I believe is true in some cases.
Btw, how does one take an oral dose of nitrous? ;)

the nitrous acts very little ammount of time in your brain to achieve neurotoxic effects. Defenitively not.

in my circle of friends we like to say that you lose more brain cells in a night of drinking than you do from nitrous.

Not sure if there is any truth to that though, anyone here know?

LOL I was going to write something exactly like that!

Yeah I'm pretty sure lots of heavy drinking or what they call "binge" drinking like drinking 4-5 drinks in a night kills more brain cells than med or food grade n2o does.

I thought I read somewhere that substances dont really kill brain cells.... Just propaganda does....

:)

^lol. As far as i know, alcohol is the only substance that actually kills brain cells. It can also cause degenerative brain disease (korsakov's) when used heavily over very long periods of time. Nitrous doesn't kill brain cells, but lack of oxygen does. This usually isn't a problem unless you're doing nitrous out of a garbage bag.

even doing nitrous in a balloon has got to be doing damage to your brain due to the lack of oxygen.

If you use actual medical 'gas & air' then it's safe because its only 30% gas and 70% oxygen which is very safe in preventing any damage.

But D.I.Y. nitrous balloons are definatly not safe and I dont think I'd take the risk to be honest, although I must add I have done nitrous in the past it simply isnt worth the risk considering the high is so short lasting and not exactly great either.... unless you starve your brain of oxygen >>>+ the nitrous = a very good high but then you are doing damage to your brain.

Lack of oxygen is the chief concern by far IMO. Nitrous users have died (albeit through irresponsible use) of this, where as Olney's lesions have never even been observed in humans. Injecting hefty doses of MK801 into rat brains can't really be compared on any level to inhaling nitrous.

No, and if i were you to make the most out of your nitrous, inhale and exhale the balloons till you got no more breath (stronger buzz)...

Long term regular use of nitrous can lead to brain "problems'" i believe, but using once in a while is perfectly safe

From what I've read (on Erowid and the Just Say N2O FAQ) nitrous, as a chemical, does not kill brain cells. If it did I doubt it would be used medically—unlike with various other inhalents which, when inhaled at any concentration can damage all your cells.

Dangers of nitrous use have much more to do with stupidity than anything else. People inhaling directly from cartridges and freezing their lungs, putting bags over their heads, using auto grade nitrous, using masks without a sober supervisor, all dumb.

A balloon or dispenser is the safest method. You can determine your dose and there's no way to really cut off your air supply in the event that you do pass out.

And if you're a heavy user, take some b12.

lol, you have very little to worry about man....

I know people who have sat in a tent for 3 days doing little else but nitrous.....

20 whippits in 15 minutes.... I might have a headache....

I doubt nitrous kills brain cells; also re: b12 use; only needed for chronic rxposure. Our livers hold several years worth of it. Still, it can't hurt (well, in therapeutc doses- B12 that is...)

Status
Not open for further replies.