• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ The Big & Dandy Movies for Tripping Thread

Yea, Scanner Darkly is great but too depressing and confusing.

Better for tripping by the same guy, similar visual style, uplifting rather than a downer: WAKING LIFE.

Alco, Donnie Darko is just pure genius, and among the best uses of music in a film.

Oh, Oh: VANILLA SKY! Probably #1 for use of music in a trip movie... it will blow you away and leave you loving life, I promise.

And YES how could I forget: KOYAANISQUATSI. Good catch. The 2nd and 3rd films in the -QUATSI trilogy are also wonderful, but No. 1 - Koyaanisquatsi is utterly cosmically classic and mind-blowing.

If you watch ONE movie from this list tripping the first time, make it this.... the experience (almost totally wordless) will change you forever. I agree there are so many better things to be doing than staring at a little electron tube brainwashing you with someone else's thoughts... but if you gotta watch a film, make it Koyaanisquatsi. Top #1 suggestion, miles above anything else you could watch. A religious experience almost.

Yellow Submarine made me want to die while tripping. By die I mean gouge out my eyes. The colors are WAY TOO VIVID :(

This sounds weird but I like to watch other people play videogames while tripping rather than watch movies. Bioshock, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Zelda OoT, etc. Feels good man.

I love Yellow Sub, tripping or not, but it did the same thing to my fiance, she started to freak out a bit, only time it's ever happened to her. Video games can be great fun until I lose the capacity to play them, but I find movies/video games can sometimes keep me a little too grounded. I focus too much on the screen and don't notice a lot of other things/effects.

That being said, I enjoyed Waking Life while tripping, and the big lebowski is great anytime, imo. I also had a lot of fun with lord of the rings while tripping, and Princess Mononoke/Miyazaki is awesome if you don't mind the American voices, it's kinda tough to follow a movie and read subtitles while under the influence...

Oh, and I second any Dead movies if you're into them. Amazing. Also, can't believe I almost forgot this one, STOP MAKING SENSE.

Last edited:
Performance is Donald Cammells film and always has been. Nic Roeg may have butchered it in the editing room, but he had nothing to do with the direction of it. It's a great movie, one of my favourites, but I will agree with you on one thing.
There are a lot better things to do with your time than watch movies.
But as old acid-heads will tell you, you can stare at the carpet for hours on end and find that fascinating too.

Direction of the actors was the responsibility of Cammell and Roeg was responsible for the cinematography/lighting/composition of the shots - or more generally the "look" of the film. Although neither director did exclusively one or the other, it was very much a team effort. Also, Roeg was not the editor of Performance because he was busy filming Walkabout - the film was edited (primarily) by Anthony Gibbs.

Also every movie suggested thus far would be (IMO) awful to watch while tripping. Check out Alejandro Jodorowsky or even better do not waste your precious transformative time watching a movie - as others have already suggested.

hamhurricane, with all due respect, I have watched many of those tripping and really had worthwhile experiences, so have alot of people. Your "every movie suggested thus far would be terrible to watch tripping" is silly,and a bit egotistical sounding IMHO. You realize that the suggestions were based on real people's experiences, not some hypothetical ideology.

Music DVD's would be my favorite

The Grateful Dead Movie
Festival Express
When You're Strange (a Doors DVD, i just watched this recently on Ket and it was awesome)
and plenty of others

The Last Waltz is also outstanding. :)

Might as well throw that one on the pile also.

I really enjoyed Festival Express while sober, I imagine it would be a nice film to watch whislt tripping.

For a comedy, with some deeper undertones, Cheech & Chong's Nice Dreams, which seems to have been conceived as a movie to watch tripping... it includes Tim Leary making an appearance and laughing maniacally for like 10 minutes straight. Sounds annoying I know, but if you are tripping while watching it, the way it all ends its very psychedelic, cool and fun, plus it DOES sort of make you think about freedom, and people doing things others want them to do just to be accepted and some other topics appropriate to LSD.

Hope I didnt spoil anything for anyone.

hamhurricane, with all due respect, I have watched many of those tripping and really had worthwhile experiences, so have alot of people. Your "every movie suggested thus far would be terrible to watch tripping" is silly,and a bit egotistical sounding IMHO. You realize that the suggestions were based on real people's experiences, not some hypothetical ideology.

You're right of course, but I didn't take that comment to be mean spirited. I get where he's coming from. It's crazy how different people's ideas can be when it comes to what tripping should be like. One person might want to watch some twisted mind fuck movie while others just want to stare at pretty colors. I've enjoyed all different things and movies while tripping. I've also done it hundreds of times in several countries on multiple substances...

I'm also throwing Discovery Channel's Planet Earth onto this list, if you can't go outside it might be the next best thing. They even make it interesting to watch grass grow. No joke.

Yea I know. But I just don't see how anyone can think Koyaanisquatsi would be "horrible" tripping. Or"Waking Life" Both seem so made for it, in different ways (one non-verbal and visceral, the other very idea-oriented). But I do understand how differing people's feelings about what a trip should be like are.

Baraka! Or Jodorowosky, as already mentioned. Holy Mountain is my favorite.

Or, simply watch any movie that you would like to appreciate on a more profound level, assuming said movie has some substance to begin with.

Also, a film can be a catalyst for a transformative experience, so you are not necessarily wasting your time by watching one.

For a first time tripping adventure I would forgo the movie and stick with music, but whatever floats your boat... okay then, here's a few suggestions, comments...

Scanner Darkly is an amazing film, but probably not the best choice.. Waking Life too... perhaps a better choice, more suited to the landscape of tripping...

But I would suggest something along the lines of Pixar's UP or The Incredibles.... something fun and lighthearted but a visual treat. Hell, Wall-E even!

A few other ideas... Monty Python's Life of Brian.
The Tick live action series (all 8 episodes back to back)
A few random Red Dwarf episodes.
Fawlty Towers
Watch Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in the Chinese audio version.
Old 50's Sci-Fi Saucer/Alien/Monster Invasion films.
Rat Race
Quest for Fire
Being There w/ Peter Sellers
Roger Rabbit
The Big Lebowski
Big Fish
Next

...like I said, listening to good music and letting your psyche supply the visual portion is probably the best option when everything is considered.

Great list CarbonUnit! Roger Rabbit, Big Fish and next particular favorites, but they're all great suggestions.

BTW, I can tell by now clearly you will LOVE, as do I, the film version of Kurt Vonnegut Jr.'s Breakfast of Champions... staring brilliant British Shakespearean actor Albert Finney (star of Big Fish) as Vonnegut's quintesential recurring crochety looney genius SciFi author... Kilgore Trout. And his intersection (collision) with identity-confused Midland City auto dealer - ahem - Dwayne Hoover.

See my comments above... ignore the bitches of "Dont get it" squares... more "inspired by" the Vonnegut book that a literal version, its just GREAT for tripping.... pretty much designed for it I am sure. Best acting Bruce Willis (who funded it himself) ever did... scenes with Willis, Nick Nolte and Omar Epps are fall on the floor funny if you are loaded.

Check these out:

Breakfast of Champions - FAIRYLAND! ("Please don't tell Dwayne Hoover!")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-QDfhkpieY

Asshole of the Universe ("Takes all different kinds of people to make up a world") (with Albert Finney)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIMVcDqeXbI&NR=1

Its available on DVD still... cheap... just Google it.

Thanks DwayneHoover, I will check them out.

Oh yeah, one more suggestion.... Waiting for Guffman. (or any of the other mockumentaries like Mighty Wind or Best In Show..or...)

hey carbon, a little request: watch those clips I linked from BoC and give us a reaction, S'il Vous Plaît? Theyre short and wont spoil anything...

And yea... Wall-E would be fun for something lighthearted if youre having a downer trip!

watch taking woodstock while tripping on acid. the acid seen in the movie last for like 7 mins but how they filmed that scene was amazing while watching it sober. when i was sober watching it i felt as if i was really tripping my self. im telling u if u cant describe to some one who has never done acid how it is while tripping then throw this movie on and they will want to try it after watching it lol trust me its amazing haha.=D