PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ The Big & Dandy Movies for Tripping Thread

Stickk

Greenlighter
Welcome to the Big & Dandy Movies for Tripping Thread

- This thread is part of the 'media threads' listed in the PD Index
- It is the only place in PD meant for discussing movies that are either quite psychedelic to begin with or just ideal to watch while tripping
- Note that we have a Film & Television forum here on Bluelight, so we cannot have Movie threads in PD in all colors and sizes.

Trippin' for the first time soon, got my room set up (art supplies, legos, glowsticks, etc.) and I have a great backyard, perfect for wilderness walks. However, I do want to have a movie playing on a TV. What would you guys/gals reccomend? I was thinking 2001: A Space Oddysey? Any other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I Know it's cliche as hell but ever since I watched Fear and loathing in las vegas on 2cb it's been the must trip film. :D

Fear and Loathing is just OK imho.... here are some real true trip flix:

Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (Terry Gilliam's latest, Heath Ledger's last)... trippy as all fuck.

Alice In Wonderland!!!

Brazil
Time Bandits
Adventures of Baron von Munchhausen
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (only if you want to be rolling on the floor laughing uncontrollably... its old but still works... timeless brilliance)

Cheech and Chong's Nice Dreams (if you never saw it yet, rent and see whole thing all the way through... its really one made for tripping... do NOT go watching the VERY trippy ending - with Timothy Leary - crappy looking low res you tube screen grabs... it will SPOIL the ending of the movie... just rent it and watch tripping or smoking joint after joint so you are BLASTED by the ending)

2001 (probably a bit slow and drawn out if you are tripping, but still highly awesome and epic)

Matrix 1,2 & 3

The Fountain

Breakfast of Champions (lots of big stars, trippy comedy also very touching, inspired by but different from Vonnegut novel... ignore all the "just dont get it" reviews by stupid cranky squares around the net and by critics... if you watch this high or tripping, which I strongly recommend, YOU WILL GET IT, and be laughing your ass off and possibly tearing up by the end.... GREAT "Exotica" trippy 1950's "Lounge" music soundtrack is another plus)

Renegade (originally Blueberry, dir by Jan Kounen... who lived with Amazon shamen and tripped for a year... cover looks like a crap Western but its really an initiation story and there are 3 long elaborately visualized trip sequences that come closer to anything ever done to realistically visualizing the high dose hallucinogen experience.... VERY otherworldly and highly long and complex... DO NOT SPOIL THE FILM FOR YOURSELF AND JUST VIEW THE LOUSY TRIP SEQUENCE RIPS YOU CAN FIND ON YOU TUBE!!!! On their own the sequences are kinda "cool but huh?" but make real sense and advance the plot viewed IN the film... the entrances to the scenes are also mysterious and build atmosphere... and also the trips RESOLVE PLOT POINTS. Do your drugs, wait for them to hit, put it on big home theater speakers, dim the lights and hit play.... seeing the trips for the first time ever within the whole film WHILE YOU ARE TRIPPING, having NO idea what to expect is VERY intense and entheogenic! WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD)

Stay (REALLY wildly trippy!)

Sixth Sense

Dark City (new Directors cut with 11 unseen minutes)

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (revamped with redone CGI effects that now look awesome and are very very trippy, and which has one of the most ecstatically hallucinogenic endings you could never imagine)

Last edited:
If you're doing LSD first time forget all the silly toys and probably movies too.

Consult "Music for Tripping" thread, and lay down in the dark with the Stereo on loud with your eyes closed.

NOTHING is more cool on LSD than WHAT IS INSIDE YOUR HEAD (that you never knew was there... that's the REAL trip, my friend.)

A Clockwork Orange. The second half of the movie made me cry while I was tripping, the first half is trippy as shit though.

i think dwayne is right.. watching movies on acid is a waste of a trip in my opinion. its all about music and closed eye visuals.

sometimes i keep the tv muted in the background just as something to go to if i start bugging out a little bit.. so i usually keep it light. cartoons are always good.

Watch these tripping, then lay down and close your eyes and play Close to the Edge by YES:

Alan Watts - Myth of Myself Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d7WlE5D1kk&feature=channel

If the above gets too long (visuals are cool tho) jump straight to:

Alan Watts - Myth of Myself 2/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQbCMBq6MpU&feature=related

default.jpg

Last edited:
If your ok with something dark and twisted
CUBE
A Scanner Darkly
The Adventures of Mark Twain (the death scene especially)
and
Alice in wonderland of course ;)
Also try venturing outside on LSD it's amazing :) really clears up your head and let's you be one with the world :D
Also try meditating :)

Grateful Dead : Closing of Winterland.... 6 hours of dead songs!!! That or Ace Ventura... no lie I almost peed myself tripping while watching Ace Ventura

2001 is boring as fuck untill you get to the last 20 mins-my favourite is Nic Roeg's Perfomance,but really, there are so many better things you could be doing than watching films!

And fergawdssake DON'T watch Scanner Darkly- it almost broke my heart..

Last edited:
Apocalypse Now was my favourite LSD movie - I watched it at the Hyde Park Cinema House in Leeds, nicely dosed and it was lovely.

Older acid-heads swore by 2001, A Space Odyssey, but they were 60's acid freaks and I was a 1970's one.

koyaanisquatsi...if you can find it...just a series of clips of citys and nature with Phillip Glass Orchestra playing in the background

Woodstock. :)

Its so long and everyone in the film is tripping too. Its great.

Nic Roeg's Performance ?

2001 is boring as fuck untill you get to the last 20 mins-my favourite is Nic Roeg's Perfomance,but really, there are so many better things you could be doing than watching films!

And fergawdssake DON'T watch Scanner Darkly- it almost broke my heart..

Performance is Donald Cammells film and always has been. Nic Roeg may have butchered it in the editing room, but he had nothing to do with the direction of it. It's a great movie, one of my favourites, but I will agree with you on one thing.
There are a lot better things to do with your time than watch movies.
But as old acid-heads will tell you, you can stare at the carpet for hours on end and find that fascinating too.