• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ The Big & Dandy Ibogaine/Iboga Thread

I did an ibogaine detox in Mexico a few months ago. Out of the 6 people who traveled through the interdimensional portal that day, unfortunately I was the only one who came back unsuccessful. Everyone else was good, at least with the physical withdrawal. Ibogaine is a really weird medicine. I can't really describe the journey. It was just very strange and very intense. And unnfortunately I can't personally recommend it because it didn't work for me, but I can say that I did first hand witness it work for others. If anyone is really thinking about using ibogaine to get off of opiates just know that it may or may not work. And that's just for the withdrawals. Even if it does work, staying clean is the hardest part. A few people that I journeyed with were there for the 2nd of 3rd time. Adjusting to and living life without your warm, cuddly, almost bulletproof blanket is just as hard as ever. Anyways, good luck to everyone on their never ending journey on the road to Zion.

Here is my 2 cents on the topic. Ibogaine worked for me. I've been off opiates for just over 2 months. Yes, it took away virtually all withdrawal. I had a little break through withdrawal but was given more Ibogaine and it went away. The visions can be hard, they seem to touch the remorse button, but it also offers a lot of compassion and forgiveness as well. I've seen a really nasty, mean junkie turn in to a caring compassionate person. Regardless, if you open your eyes, a bad trip will stop. Ibogaine only claims to be an addiction interrupter. If you don't change the environment that leads to drugs and work some kind of recovery, you will fall back into old pathways. Temporarily, Ibogaine does reset the brain to a preaddicted state. But you must do the work to create and maintain healthy pathways away from addiction.

Ibogaine it self does not kill people, rather Ibogaine mixed with other substances will almost always kill you. That and a pre-existing heart condition. It is unadvisable to do it without supervision and with out first having EKG and liver function test. If you use opiates while on Ibogaine, you will die. Also, you would not be of the were with all to think to eat or drink while under the influence if this powerful medicine. You would possibly become dehydrated and die depending on your physical state before the journey.

I am going to do an ibogaine session to interrupt my addiction and hopefully lead to some serious personal growth, at the very end of this month. I am going to do it on a Saturday and I have that day and Sunday off work, and I took vacation days Monday and Tuesday. It is impossible for me to take more days off in a row than that so hopefully by Wednesday I will be with it enough to be able to work again. I will have a good friend and fellow PDer sitting for me, and I think I am going to board my cats up for those 4 days too so I don'y have to think about feeding them or rely on someone else to do it... plus they get really in my fact if I haven't paid attention to them in a while and I don't need them trying to waken me from my reverie.

I'm quite nervous about this, but I feel it's the right choice for me to move forward. I have tried quitting opiates so many times, and successfully have once for a year too (a few years back). I am also excited about the experience, I have always wanted to experience it since I first heard of it. I am obtaining a gram of pure HCl and a gram of the total alkaloid (TA) extract. I have a recommendation on how much to take and in what way to take it already... does anyone else with experience have a recommend? How much total to take, and should I stagger the dosages or take them gradually? The suggestion I received already from a trusted friend who has done ibogaine for the same purpose as me said I should have 250mg of the TA first (the TA apparently is about 50% HCL), and then an hour later, take 1 whole gram of the HCL plus 250mg more of the TA (to reach a total of 1.25 grams of ibogaine HCl equivalent).

In case anyone didn't see my other posts on the subject, I did this and it was a smashing success, one of the most immersive and glorious experiences of my life, utterly different from anything else I've tried but very "right" feeling. It was basically like I inescapably entered dream consciousness for 3 full days and I've been exiting that since, I still have moments (this is the 5th day since the night I took it, Saturday) where I find myself reacting while awake to my dreams or suddenly experiencing a somewhat altered version of what is actually happening (it's made me dream very intensely every night since then too). I have no desire for opiates and I feel very physically comfortable all the time, absolutely no screaming from my body and mind to ingest opiates, and I have great energy all the time too. And best of all, I am constantly filled with an incredible euphoria, joy for life, appreciation for things... it's like someone found me the perfect antidepressant. My life feels perfect. I am so thankful for iboga that it exists and that it found its way into my life. The moment I took ibogaine was a turning point, the 10 years of creeping addiction that required my brain to require opiates to function seems to be utterly annihilated... at least for now. It feels like I never had an unhealthy relationship with them, I can think about them, talk about them with people, reflect with fondness for the good times and perspective for the bad times.

I still notice my addictive personality rearing, I have always had unhealthy obsessions with the things I've been most into (games of all sorts when I was younger, and then drugs). For example yesterday I had some methylone + 3-MMC, and today I have been trying to convince myself to take it again. So I am keeping that in mind and have resolved to work on my impulse control.

In case anyone didn't see my other posts on the subject, I did this and it was a smashing success, one of the most immersive and glorious experiences of my life, utterly different from anything else I've tried but very "right" feeling. It was basically like I inescapably entered dream consciousness for 3 full days and I've been exiting that since, I still have moments (this is the 5th day since the night I took it, Saturday) where I find myself reacting while awake to my dreams or suddenly experiencing a somewhat altered version of what is actually happening (it's made me dream very intensely every night since then too). I have no desire for opiates and I feel very physically comfortable all the time, absolutely no screaming from my body and mind to ingest opiates, and I have great energy all the time too. And best of all, I am constantly filled with an incredible euphoria, joy for life, appreciation for things... it's like someone found me the perfect antidepressant. My life feels perfect. I am so thankful for iboga that it exists and that it found its way into my life. The moment I took ibogaine was a turning point, the 10 years of creeping addiction that required my brain to require opiates to function seems to be utterly annihilated... at least for now. It feels like I never had an unhealthy relationship with them, I can think about them, talk about them with people, reflect with fondness for the good times and perspective for the bad times.

I still notice my addictive personality rearing, I have always had unhealthy obsessions with the things I've been most into (games of all sorts when I was younger, and then drugs). For example yesterday I had some methylone + 3-MMC, and today I have been trying to convince myself to take it again. So I am keeping that in mind and have resolved to work on my impulse control.

They say ibogaine doesn't work and it's followers are thick and ordinary.

Edit: sarcasm/joke post.

Glad to hear things worked out man, enjoy your life free from opiates :). Take it easy with the more compulsive stim/empathogens... those things will really mess with your head if you use em too often (Sleep paralysis, depression, anxiety, vivid dreams etc..). I remember when methylone and mephedrone hit the market I used to combo them quite frequently til it induced this almost psychosis like state where every little thing made me jump, it was like a constant panic attack but way more lucid although my thoughts weren't very rational, not very fun lol. Toss in some messed up dreams and a sad view of life and you've got rough times. Anyways again, glad you made it through to the other side... hopefully the cravings don't return once the ibogaine is completely out of your system.

As you're aware, the fact that you've gone as long as you have clearly indicates you're past whatever physical addiction you had -- and that's huge. Impulse control is obviously what anybody needs to keep from slipping back into problematic use, but in my opinion what tends to bring psychedelic users (especially) back to such behaviors is a general addiction to novelty that's satisfied by altered states of numerous different kinds. And once you take one drug, it's easier to think "I already did this, so why not that?" In my experience the time of greatest threat to relapse is when you're "done" for the day, but not yet ready for bed -- because that's when it's easiest to think "why not?" without finding an answer that's relevant in the short term. Such rationalizations are most prevalent in the first few days to a week after cessation for me. The most convenient way I've found to get around it is to run myself ragged with exercise -- even just running up and down stairs until you're breathless over and over will work -- followed by taking OTC sleeping pills so I'm too tired to stay awake for long after I'm "done" for the day. That's not a healthy way to live for long, but it only has to work for a few days until going without gets a lot easier.

Another helpful technique is to store your drugs in a safety deposit box that you need to drive to get to. You will only be able to access them at certain times of the day that way, and during the day is when you're most likely to only take what you want for the weekend or whatever.

Last edited:
As you're aware, the fact that you've gone as long as you have clearly indicates you're past whatever physical addiction you had -- and that's huge. Impulse control is obviously what anybody needs to keep from slipping back into problematic use, but in my opinion what tends to bring psychedelic users (especially) back to such behaviors is a general addiction to novelty that's satisfied by altered states of numerous different kinds. And once you take one drug, it's easier to think "I already did this, so why not that?" In my experience the time of greatest threat to relapse is when you're "done" for the day, but not yet ready for bed -- because that's when it's easiest to think "why not?" without finding an answer that's relevant in the short term. Such rationalizations are most prevalent in the first few days to a week after cessation for me. The most convenient way I've found to get around it is to run myself ragged with exercise -- even just running up and down stairs until you're breathless over and over will work -- followed by taking OTC sleeping pills so I'm too tired to stay awake for long after I'm "done" for the day. That's not a healthy way to live for long, but it only has to work for a few days until going without gets a lot easier.

Another helpful technique is to store your drugs in a safety deposit box that you need to drive to get to. You will only be able to access them at certain times of the day that way, and during the day is when you're most likely to only take what you want for the weekend or whatever.

Gospel.

An update for this thread... it's been 6 months since I took ibogaine and I am still free of opiates and even free of cravings. I had using dreams for a while but I would wake up feeling disgusted and feel even more resolve not to ever use them again. I've gotten better at impulse control too, though I still use psychedelics, marijuana, alcohol and on very special occasions, empathogens such as methylone or MDMA. And MXE. I see no reason to quit drugs in general. I still have some work to do on myself but the difference in my life since ibogaine is staggering and entirely positive. I went on to have the best summer of my life, the most free and the most comfortable/confident in myself I have ever been.

The other huge effect ibogaine has had on me is that I developed a powerful drive to take care of myself... I have been eating very well and working out 5 days a week and exercising every day in some way. Post-ibogaine, as a result of years of opiate abuse, I weighed a skeletal 130 pounds (I'm 6 feet tall). I now weigh 160 and have so much more muscle which helps me in every area of my life. I'm in really good shape now. I have never once in my life until now managed to have this drive to take care of myself in these ways but it seems a permanent addition to my personality, I can't see myself ever stopping these things, I love them now.

Nothing has ever had the power to change my behaviors so dramatically as ibogaine... it really is something unique and special and it feels like my life can be divided into pre- and post-ibogaine, that's how impactful the experience was for me. A definite +4, an event of tremendous significance and change in my life. I wrote the whole thing up in narrative form shortly after it all resolved, you can read it at the link below. It's super long, maybe the longest trip report ever written. In Microsoft Word, it's 52 single-spaced pages. Worth the read though if you're up for it, it's my favorite thing I've written.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/723353-Ibogaine-(flood-dose)-First-Time-Into-The-Flood

An update for this thread... it's been 6 months since I took ibogaine and I am still free of opiates and even free of cravings. I had using dreams for a while but I would wake up feeling disgusted and feel even more resolve not to ever use them again. I've gotten better at impulse control too, though I still use psychedelics, marijuana, alcohol and on very special occasions, empathogens such as methylone or MDMA. And MXE. I see no reason to quit drugs in general. I still have some work to do on myself but the difference in my life since ibogaine is staggering and entirely positive. I went on to have the best summer of my life, the most free and the most comfortable/confident in myself I have ever been.

Hello Xorkoth. I followed your eboga experience with great interest. Personally I have a minor psychological addiction (aka feeling trapped to take substances once a week, mainly codeine or some dissotiative). I was trying to use Salvia (kappa agonist antiaddictive proprieties) theses fews weeks to decrease my craving to pleasure.
Role in treatment of drug addiction

KOR agonists have recently been investigated for their therapeutic potential in the treatment of addiction[43] and evidence points towards dynorphin, the endogenous KOR agonist, to be the body's natural addiction control mechanism.[44] Childhood stress/abuse is a well known predictor of drug abuse and is reflected in alterations of the MOR and KOR systems.[45] In experimental "addiction" models the KOR has also been shown to influence stress-induced relapse to drug seeking behavior. For the drug dependent individual, risk of relapse is a major obstacle to becoming drug free. Recent reports demonstrated that KORs are required for stress-induced reinstatement of cocaine seeking.[46][47]

One area of the brain most strongly associated with addiction is the nucleus accumbens (NAcc) and striatum while other structures that project to and from the NAcc also play a critical role. Though many other changes occur, addiction is often characterized by the reduction of dopamine D2 receptors in the NAcc.[48] In addition to low NAcc D2 binding,[49][50] cocaine is also known to produce a variety of changes to the primate brain such as increases prodynorphin mRNA in caudate putamen (striatum) and decreases of the same in the hypothalamus while the administration of a KOR agonist produced an opposite effect causing an increase in D2 receptors in the NAcc.[51]

Additionally, while cocaine overdose victims showed a large increase in KORs (doubled) in the NAcc,[52] KOR agonist administration is shown to be effective in decreasing cocaine seeking and self-administration.[53] Furthermore, while cocaine abuse is associated with lowered prolactin response,[54] KOR activation causes a release in prolactin,[55] a hormone known for its important role in learning, neuronal plasticity and myelination.[56]

It has also been reported that the KOR system is critical for stress-induced drug-seeking. In animal models, stress has been demonstrated to potentiate cocaine reward behavior in a kappa opioid-dependent manner.[57][58] These effects are likely caused by stress-induced drug craving that requires activation of the KOR system. Although seemingly paradoxical, it is well known that drug taking results in a change from homeostasis to allostasis. It has been suggested that withdrawal-induced dysphoria or stress-induced dysphoria may act as a driving force by which the individual seeks alleviation via drug taking.[59] The rewarding properties of drug are altered, and it is clear KOR activation following stress modulates the valence of drug to increase its rewarding properties and cause potentiation of reward behavior, or reinstatement to drug seeking. The stress-induced activation of KORs is likely due to multiple signaling mechanisms. The effects of KOR agonism on dopamine systems are well documented, and recent work also implicates the mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade and pCREB in KOR-dependent behaviors.[24][60]

Though cocaine abuse is a frequently used model of addiction, KOR agonists have very marked effects on all types of addiction including alcohol, cocaine and opiate abuse.[10] Not only are genetic differences in dynorphin receptor expression a marker for alcohol dependence but a single dose of a KOR antagonist markedly increased alcohol consumption in lab animals.[61] There are numerous studies that reflect a reduction in self-administration of alcohol,[62] and heroin dependence has also been shown to be effectively treated with KOR agonism by reducing the immediate rewarding effects[63] and by causing the curative effect of up-regulation (increased production) of MORs[64] that have been down-regulated during opioid abuse.

The anti-rewarding properties of KOR agonists are mediated through both long-term and short-term effects. The immediate effect of KOR agonism leads to reduction of dopamine release in the NAcc during self administration of cocaine[65] and over the long term up-regulates receptors that have been down-regulated during substance abuse such as the MOR and the D2 receptor. These receptors modulate the release of other neurochemicals such as serotonin in the case of MOR agonists and acetylcholine in the case of D2. These changes can account for the physical and psychological remission of the pathology of addiction. The longer effects of KOR agonism (30 minutes or greater) have been linked to KOR-dependent stress-induced potentiation and reinstatement of drug seeking. It is hypothesized that these behaviors are mediated by KOR-dependent modulation of dopamine, serotonin, or norepinephrine and/or via activation of downstream signal transduction pathways.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Κ-opioid_receptor

But in the process of learning all about ending substance addiction, it is evident that Iboga can be superior to Salvia in this aspect : Salvia and Iboga share kappa opioid receptor agonism, but Iboga have plenty others mecanisms that can aslo play a positive role in addiction. http://www.ibogaine.desk.nl/ch01.pdf

At this point, I find a shop that could send me Eboga on my country, and heard about the possibility of microdosing. That's why I'm going so switch my salvia experiment with an iboga microdosing experiment. I will receive a 1g TA extract and will report my results here. I'm open to every suggestions you can give me before starting this.

I read that microdosing before doing a flood dose is controversial. I don't really understand why using Iboga this way can be more damaging in any ways. If you have some pro or cons of this method, please share it to me :) I'm not physically addicted so don't feel the need for a flood, and i'm interested if I can have reaps some of the benefits of a flood dose with a microdosing protocol.

I can get my hands on ibogaine total alkaloid extract containing : ibogaine, ibogaline & ibogamine. I imagine 1g is one dose. (it's not pure Ibogaine Hcl, I could get that before but not right now)

I know how they recommend a trip sitter or some therapist, a therapist would be a friend to me, therapists to me are like pay-for friend, especially if they would be the ones with the ibogaine extract. But all my friends are straight now (the joys of getting old), the only person I imagine who would take that stuff with me is a best friend, a guy I got a love-hate relationship with but if i'd call him or leave him an email about this, maybe just even looking out for me, he probably would, depending on his work schedule.

Would taking benzos through it be counterproductive ? Could it even reset a clonidine tolerance? 2 years now I take that stuff everyday with my ORT med, now suboxone since 18 months, even more needed with suboxone, I sweat a lot with bupe, not with methadone. I don't think I could go through a 24 hour dysphoric but learning experience like ibogaine unless I take a small dose, but I don't know if a small dose would be useful at all.

Briefly, anybody with experience with total alkaloid extracts, some guidance would be needed,I assume 1g is a dose because it fits the pricing.

Are you trying for a flood dose? If so, 1 gram of TA extract is not enough. Generally assume 1 gram is roughly equal to a half gram of pure ibogaine HCl. You need 17-25mg/kg of body weight for a flood dose. I did 19mg/kg for mine, I certainly didn't need to go higher. So if you weighed, say, 70kg, then for 19mg/kg you'd need 1330mg of ibogaine HCl which would be 2.660 grams of TA extract. If you just took a gram it would be a powerful trip but not a flood dose. I took a ~350mg dose (700mg of TA) and it lasted the whole night and I was fine on my own.

If you take a flood dose, you really must have someone to watch over you, because you will be out of it for 3 days and you really will not be able to make decisions or take care of yourself. This is coming from someone who never needs a sitter and has tripped countless times. It's not a matter of experience or anything, you are going to be unable to care for yourself. Committing to taking a flood dose of ibogaine is a serious thing. You have to be able to give yourself a week or more of time where have no responsibilities and no need for functioning like a normal human being. It will completely disrupt your life for a time. I had a friend watch me when he wasn't working and that was not enough supervision, I ended up fine but it could have just as easily not ended up fine.

You need to be at a point where you're serious about stopping your addictions before you attempt a flood dose. Ibogaine doesn't really play well with suboxone I hear, or methadone really. I have no idea how it interacts with benzos or clonidine but I wouldn't want to risk it. If you are serious about using ibogaine to get rid of addictions then my only recommendation is as follows: get off benzos and other drugs, get on a short half-life full-agonist opiate instead of suboxone/methadone, and take as many days of no opiates as you can before your flood dose. You'll suffer beforehand but you'll come out better on the other end.

And for god's sake make sure you have supervision. With small doses it's not necessary but I'm not sure what you might gain from that. It sounds like you're physically addicted to opiates and possibly other things and a flood dose can address a physical (and mental) opiate addiction. But I'm not sure you really sound like you're prepared for that. And I'm not sure I'd want to risk drug interactions with the other things you mentioned.

how does one from MA go about getting it? also, is a weekend all you need? seems so from what I just read.

I've done K many times; I've been on dope/opiates for 7-10yrs pretty strong and finally winding down but want something to completely eliminate the idea of getting back on and running hard. I have another friend who knows this game well and will be willing to watch over me as I go through the Ibogaine and help out w/ the whole situation. if all works out, I will be the one watching him next but I am willing to give it a first go based on everything I have read, seen, heard, etc.

I am based in Boston and just need HELP!

You need more than a weekend... you'll be totally unable to function for 3 days (3 full days) and then you will really want a few more days where you have nothing to do so it can sink in. We can't talk about how to get it as we don't discuss sources here. Shoot me a PM if you want to know more about it, there's a lot to consider. Also read my story, there's a ton of information in it: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/723353-Ibogaine-(flood-dose)-First-Time-Into-The-Flood

More than a weekend, yes. It is true that some people are in and out of ibo super quickly. With a long-term opiate addiction, I would plan on needing more time.

I would NOT do ibogaine at home. There is no way for your friend to guess if your cardiac response to ibogaine is normal or dangerous. Ibogaine prolongs one's QT, it is also an incredibly dehydrating experience. You should do it with someone reliable, someone medically capable or with someone who has a medical staff. While statistics say you will most likely be okay, I don't think it is worth the risk of it not being fine. Also, if you are interrupting a heavy and/or long-term addiction, you are better off doing it with someone who really knows how to dose you - especially if you come out of it experiencing residual PAWs.

At-home ibogaine is certainly far riskier. For me, going to a clinic was not an option as I could barely afford to source the ibogaine itself, let alone travel and pay thousands for a clinic. And even then I'm lucky I came out okay. Had I had supervision the entire time I'd feel better about the risk assessment. I'd say if you have really done your research and are with someone the whole time who has also done their research and who has the experience necessary to monitor your vitals, at home is an option, but only if there is no other option. There wouldn't have been any time that I would have been able to travel to central America or whatever to attend a clinic, and I had to get off opiates, and I'm thankful I did it. Since then I've been trying to spread my experience and information in the hopes that others who are prepared might have the same option, and in the hopes that people will not be reckless with it. It's not necessary to ask a medical professional to know how to dose, it just takes research and planning. The two biggest risks doing it at home are (#1) if you do not have adequate supervision the whole time, and (#2) if something happens that puts you in danger physically such as a heart issue. For the second reason alone I think doing it at home should only be a last resort. I had tried everything to get past opiates and it had been 10 years, 7 or 8 of those with me actively trying to stop. I weighed the risks, prepared myself very thoroughly, and decided I preferred to stop this addiction now rather than hope for some far future date where I could afford to go to a clinic.

OK, so maybe I wont do it and just hope me being SOBER and telling me this is it, I can do it, its truly OVER NOW.. and I will actually stay sober, lol.