• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Flashback Thread

I don't see how people can tell the flashbacks are definitely from LSD or mushrooms or whatever if they've done both - or even a bunch of psychs... :\

last year i did a lot of acid and shrooms and everyonce in a while i get a strong flashback... ha theres a really textured looking rug in my bathroom and every time i use the john and look at it shit starts morphing

Shrooms Flashback

Greetings and Salutations!!!!

My name is E. Ok so i shroomed in January and it was my first time. Never shroomed since. I only shroomed once. Now i was curious about flashbacks, what happens when flashbacks occur???

Thank You

You flashback. you remember what it was like during your trip, this usually happens when you do another psychedelic drug and something triggers that memory.

I did acid last night for the first time, I had a shroom flash back; I have had a few when smoking weed as well.

My mom had a bad trip smoking pot laced with PCP. she said that still to this day she will randomly feel like she is back in the trip.

she described it to me as something like "my life seemed fake, like it was all some sort of movie, and instead of flowing clearly, my vision was all choppy like it was going in frames instead of real life. everything just felt fake, and i didn't know if i'd ever come out of it and feel real again."

every once in awhile this experience comes back to her, and she says it's terrifying, though not as bad as when it actually happened.

flashbacks are likely an over-reported or over-hyped phenomenon. HPPD is a condition that involves lasting effects on vision, but it isn't really a flashback per se. Marijuana use can cause anxiety and visual distortions in people who have never used a psychedelic. Its possible that eiher they didn't notice these aspects of pot before or that psychedelic experiences cause one to be more mindful of such effects.

This being said, any emotional memory can cause a flashback, that is, an intense & engulfing memory wherein one feels as if they are re-living the experience. These do happen to me occasionally, but they have never involved the psychedelic drugs i've done. However, a memory of a psychedelic experience (most likely one fairly early in one's use of psychedelics) certainly could cause this, but it has more to do with the qualities of emotional memory and amydgala function than it does drug use.

LSD flashback's while sleeping - causes?

Not sure if theres a big and dandy flashback's thread, I didn't see one though; I've been taking LSD quite regularly over the past five months or so, and in that time I've had what I would consider to be three proper flashbacks while sleeping. I've only had what i'd consider to be three high dose trips in that time quite seperated from each other with small low dose one's in between; Last night I had one that was considerably more extreme than the other two had been that I experianced.

The first two were quite similar and were within a week of each other after quite a high dose trip; first time I woke up in the middle of the night suddenly feeling cold and a shiver went through my body and then there was a burst of flourescent colours across the ceiling of my room for about five seconds or so and then it ended. The second one I felt the same shiver and a nice dream was suddenly interupted by me feeling like I was levetating from my bed towards a light, which my brain then interpreted as being abducted by aliens, which might just sound like a bad dream but it wasn't I could feel pure terror like no other nightmare and a wierd energy through my entire body I suddenly became concious and I had a similar burst of colour across the roof.

At first I wondered why this had happened and I noticed my external hard drive had a blue light that flashes every few seconds or so which had been opposite where I had been faced, covered this up though and I've not had any problems until last night and it was considerably more intense than the first two: I was lieing in bed half asleep and I couldn't really sleep, I started to feel noticably dissasosiated from my own mind where as usually all sorts is flying through my head, it was a bit like a K-hole. I started to feel like I was floating across a room which was really dark and I could just make out certain objects and it was pretty much an amalgamation of several rooms Im pretty familiar with. Though it doesn't sound that bad, I felt as if I had no control of my body, I was desperatly trying to move around my arms though all I could feel was numbness and pins and needles all over my body.. Just thought I'd note that I wasn't properly asleep at anytime during this and I quite quickly came back into my own mind and realised I could actually move my arms and that I was still in my bed; Geometric patterns were on my wall for a few seconds though not colourful atall, I also still had the feeling of pins and needles all over my body and a pretty sharp headache in the top right part of my head which stayed for about five minuites.

Im not sure what caused it this time though it wasn't a remotly pleasant experiance. Has anyone had anything similar to this, with certain flashing lights or repeating sounds triggering flashbacks? Im thinking something in my room must have again triggered it, im not sure what yet though but I have a feeling it was some kind of sharp electric sound possibly the feedback sound of a phone near speakers or some such as I kept hearing similar kind of electric sounds which combined with the other things going on seemed quite frightening.

I've never had one!
I'll always believe that it was the hype back in the early 70's ie. Lsd is cut with strychnine and or Speed and the terrible flashbacks if you took LSD.

All I can say is Life is what you expect it to be, in this case. If you believe there are flashbacks you'll most likely label anything you see as a flashback.

I also never seen anyone in my group of friends ever clam to have had one.

Then again where not all made from the same yeast!

Not sure if theres a big and dandy flashback's thread, I didn't see one though, I've been taking LSD quite regularly over the past five months or so, and in that time I've had what I would consider to be three proper flashbacks while sleeping.

Im not sure what caused it this time though it wasn't a remotly pleasant experiance. Has anyone had anything similar to this, with certain flashing lights or repeating sounds triggering flashbacks? Im thinking something in my room must have again triggered it, im not sure what yet though but I have a feeling it was some kind of sharp electric sound possibly the feedback sound of a phone near speakers or some such as I kept hearing similar kind of electric sounds which combined with the other things going on seemed quite frightening.

The only thing that has triggered flashbacks for me is weed and being in the same place that I've tripped before. Never heard of flashing lights or repeating sounds triggering flashbacks before. Back in high school when I was taking acid virtually every weekend I would get mild flashbacks now and then. Usually when I was smoking weed at a buddy's place that I had tripped at recently. I was doing a lot of acid at the time, and when smoking weed coupled with being in an environment I had been in when tripping before caused these minor flashbacks that were not unpleasant.

I had a flashback while sleeping once as well. One time I went to bed, fell asleep and began dreaming that I was awake in my bed. I had no idea I was asleep because I was dreaming that I was awake in the same bed I was actually asleep in! While still thinking I was awake I sat up, looked at my wall and was hit instantly with an intense flashback. A brilliant, transforming, neon mandala-styled pattern began warping on my wall. This caught me by surprise as in my dream I recognized this as me being awake and having a flashback, but this was much more intense than any flashback I had ever had before (because unbeknownst to me I was actually dreaming!) This is where the dream/flashback got strange. After I saw the mandala-style pattern form on my wall, I looked at my dresser and my lamp began biting at me! I grabbed the lamp's electric cord and ripped it out of the wall, but the lamp continued biting at me! At this point I woke up, virtually in the exact same spot that I had been dreaming I was being bitten by a lamp in and realized it was all just a dream. It seemed like a bona fide flashback because not only did I notice LSD-like visuals, but I could also feel the LSD high in my mind, and I had the distinctive LSD "taste" in my mouth.

The first I ever heard of flashbacks while sleeping was from an old friend of mine from years back. It was a long time ago, but he mentioned it was an intense, frightening experience involving car crashes. I wonder if anyone else has experienced a flashback while sleeping before?

:)

I've only taken mushrooms a handful of times, and am convinced that i've had one "flashback".

Me and a group of friends were crusing and smoking a blunt and while driving the trees on either side of my car seemed to come at me in waves and I went whhooaaa and sorta tripped out for about 45 seconds or so. It might have been from the marijuana, but I smoke alot of pot and have never had a hallucinogenic experience like that. So in my opinion it may be possible, but then again I'm convinced that if you tell your brain to trip out, eventually you will. haha.

peace and love

I have had numerous lsd and mushrooms trips, never had an acid flashback but did have a mushroom flashback.
What contributed was that it was a flashback not necessarily to shrooms but to a particular experience with them, my second trip ever that was also my number one most intense experience: the single true enlightenment I have personally seen.

Months later I listened to the song I listened to right after having that enlightening experience and it caused me to re-experience part of the altered state of consciousness, for about a minute maybe.
It was not uncomfortable at all, rather an extremely souped op version of remembrance. There is little that comes close to this level though, which leaves no doubt in my mind that it was a flashback and not simple recollection.

Just check this thread on flashbacks, keep the note in the opening post in mind though: there is a difference between a flashback/PTSD and HPPD.

for me it has always seemed more like a brief feeling of nostalgia almost. maybe it could be described as a flashback but its always so brief and fleeting and no matter how hard i try to prolong the moment or bring it back via the same way it came on it's gone within a minute at most.

i am a regular psychedelic user.
my most significant flash back was a month after trying a extremely high dose of D.O.I. it lasted about a minute and was felt so real i thought someone spiked me with the stuff lol.

i take alot of acid and dont think i have ever had a proper flash back from it.
although if i crank a song that i heard on a good trip sometimes i get a overwhelming tingly/floating sensation for abit. i personally really enjoy these, its like a free quick dose to make ur day!

as some1 said b4, if u have a very emotional situation happen good or bad. u will most likely have a flash back. its just a normal thing the body does...

If you think Acid flashbacks are an urban myth you're very very mistaken. I had a pretty awful flashback (I get them occasionally while im falling to sleep) where my body just started to shiver, the same feeling you get while on acid except more intense, I couldn't move a muscle in my body for a few seconds and I felt as if I was floating across my room (first time this happened i thought I was dieing) and there was a burst of colour and acid style hallucinations across my roof which disapeared after a couple of seconds and I realised I was till lieing in bed.

Saying that though this has never deterred me from taking my weekly dose!

you get flash backs from acid becouse it can get stored in spinnal fluid. and some troma to your back can release stored fluid . couseing flash backs . i used to trip one acid alot when i was a kid ..i stopped and about 6 yrs later i broke my back cant really say it was flash back but it was just like tripping out ...more that likely bodys coping with the pain ..
No chemicals from mushrooms would get stored in the body for a flash back

Total myth, 100%. Sorry.

LSD does not get stored in the spinal fluid, in fact it leaves the body soon-ish while many of the effects are result of a so-called signal 'cascade'.
It was believed that LSD leaves the body in a level of hours (!) but that is because the very low levels in the blood then left were not easy to register with analytical instruments. We know now that it takes a little longer, but probably not significantly longer than the alkaloids in mushrooms.

Anyway - this is not related to flashbacks.

Deeply psychologically imprinted memories are. As a part of a type of post-traumatic stress disorder for instance. Reliving this does not necessarily need to be as stressful (or just 'intense'), it does not need to be messed up and horrible.

Probably flashbacks have an evolutionary edge, since very intense experiences are relived by a trigger in perceived sensory data. For instance a song can trigger it, or seeing something specific you also saw during or before the episode you flash back to. Imagine living in nature and vividly remembering gotten really messed up when you saw, heard or felt something. It is then probably wise to turn around a 180 and avoid this not to make the same mistake.

It could be about not doing something twice that caused a very intense (in nature often meaning life-threateningly dangerous) experience. If someone has an especially cruel stripping of the ego or something like that it could cause the same kind of reaction.

Last edited:
A panic attack to me seems rather akin to a flashback. About a week after tripping on mescaline (and panicking and calling 911 during the trip because I thought I was having a heart attack), the exact same feeling -- a certain emptiness in the chest, a vicious thumping and pain of the heart, breathlessness, feeling like I was about to die -- recurred while I was sober. And recurred again and again, in dreams and while awake. Introducing me to the wonderful (ha) world of benzo's. :/ Benzo's have always seemed to me like the last resort of the thoroughly shattered mind, "I don't care" pills to keep the shards of that shattered mind from slicing against each other but also keeping the damage from being repaired.