• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Ego Death Thread

I had that i think. Maybe not if im not sure. I felt perfect and nothing matterd. I ate food and made the biggest mess thorwing stuff diping stuff to much i just didnt care at all. it wasnt even my house etihe.r if i wasnt triping they would have been mad. so just want to learn more about Ego loss really.

Take a 4th plateua dose of DXM. That's ego loss. Erm, it was for me, at least. The first thing I remember when I started to come down and get a grasp on reality was opening my eyes and looking over at my g/f and thinking "That's not another alien, I recognize that, I KNOW that from somewhere... wow, I haven't KNOWN anything for a LOONG time"(it had really been about 4 hours). I fell asleep at that point and woke up a while later and finally realized that there is a world beyond what was happening inside my mind. That is the strongest psychedelic experience I've ever had.

olyandy said:
I had that i think. Maybe not if im not sure. I felt perfect and nothing matterd. I ate food and made the biggest mess thorwing stuff diping stuff to much i just didnt care at all. it wasnt even my house etihe.r if i wasnt triping they would have been mad. so just want to learn more about Ego loss really.

You will not be unsure whether you had experienced ego loss if you truly have. Well, you won't grasp the concept at the time it's happening, but when you look back on the experience, the meaning of ego loss will be clear as day to you. It's a completely unique experience.

olyandy said:
I felt perfect and nothing matterd.

Then you did not experience ego loss. If you were able to feel anything, then there was an ego to experience whatever you were experiencing. In ego loss, you feel nothing because there is no you to think. You definitely would not be able to eat food. I don't think many of you understand this concept. If you are even the tiniest bit aware of anything, then you are not experiencing ego loss.

Last edited:
I experienced nothingness... and watching with no perspective and no means with which to change anything that was happening, nor the will to... I wasn't even I... I was an idea...

Ego Loss sounds like not a HAPPY experience nor a BAD experience (in general) it just seems like an "OK Whoa" experience. But I'm sure you can be terrified or happy about it afterwords and during.

morninggloryseed said:
Ego loss can't be described. It is the 'loss of self'. The thinker ceases to think. It is a state of nothingness. You can't describe ego loss because the 'you' does not exist to experience it. One doesn't even know ego loss occurs until it's over.

I disagree--if there is no part of "you" to sense and feel the experience; then this to me seems like merely anesthesia. Especially if "one doesn't even know it occurs until its over." IMO, "complete ego loss" is not what most psychonauts are after since they wont be able to recall anything, makes the whole experience useless.

Instead, the more commonly sought after ego dissociation i believe occurs right before the level of anesthesia. Where reality is experienced in its raw, uprocessed form and all borders and safeways in one's personality are by-passed. Leaving one completely stripped of their "masques." I believe some sort of sense or feeling is retained--maybe not a sense of location or self... but defentely some sort of ability to experience remains. W/o this ability to experience, then you've simply reached anesthesia.

At least thats how i see it...

Ego = self

Ego loss = loss of sense of self

I don't see how you can disagree with me. If there is no self left, then nothing can be experienced. What you describe is the state that occurs before ego loss.

Last edited:
Crimson Cloud said:
You can search 3 letter words if you add a *.

Your ego is your sense of self, who you are. When you experience ego loss you loose that sense of self. I can't really describe the feeling, it' difficult to put into words, and I'm not that good with putting feelings into words in the first place.

Nah, thats not right. Your sense of self is the core to your being, your self. Your ego is like the shell encasing the true self, one's true nature (If you're really interested in this idea, read about Carl Jung's Individuation process, the Mercurial [sp?] Fountain).

I think ego loss is a bad description to that sensation one experiences in that intense psychedelic state. That described 'ego loss' seems to be a loss of conscious thought more than anything. True ego loss is a stripping of the ego and allowing the true self to be exposed in a conscious state, a state that can actually be controlled consciously. The psychedelic ego loss is more of an insanely intense stupor, where one cannot gather and collect thoughts consciously, at least thats out of my own experience.

The term 'ego loss' in reference to that psychedelic state should be changed entirely. It should be called the removal of conscious thought.

Last edited:
nada rylnym said:
Ego- A defense mechanism that is partly conscious and contains the capacities to calculate, reason, and plan. As the Id relates to internal events, the Ego is occupied with the external world. Its task is to regulate and control the instincts provided by the Id. However, in times of sleep, the ego detaches itself from the outside world and changes its organization. The prime function of the ego is determined by the individuals experiences. The ego is the surface of the personality, the part you show the world. The ego is governed by the "reality principle ," or a pragmatic approach to the world. For example, a child may want to steal a cookie from the kitchen, but will not if a parent is present. Id desires are still present, but the ego realizes the consequences of brazen cookie theft.

Ego loss is not characterized by a 3rd party style detachment because you cease to exist as your identiy is stripped away. Instead it is a loss of reality in which you are reduced to Id; basic and instinctive subjective reality.

well, that's my take on it anyway. i'm probably wrong.

Damn, you're a Freudian at heart, aren't ya? Too bad he was a raving a coke addict with severe mental problems that reflect in his non-sensical idea of the mind. He did start a good trend though, I can at least give him that much credit.

morninggloryseed said:
Ego = self
I don't see how you can disagree with me.

a little ironic? :)

some reading on the Buddhist concept of emptiness might be of interest to anybody examining ego-loss.

alasdair

no doubt...

I experienced EGO LOSS just yesterday... I'm not sure if it ever came back :)

I would argue that Ego Loss is different for everyone, but yes, you won't recognise or acknowledge that it has happened until afterwards. During the process of Ego Loss itself, you won't know it's happening, you won't acknowledge anything.

Last edited:
I agree with mgs.
Ego = self

Ego loss = loss of sense of self

I don't see how you can disagree with me. If there is no self left, then nothing can be experienced. What you describe is the state that occurs before ego loss.
Everytime I have experienced COMPLETE ego loss, I really didn't realize what happened until it was over.

And AlphaOdure said:
Especially if "one doesn't even know it occurs until its over." IMO, "complete ego loss" is not what most psychonauts are after since they wont be able to recall anything, makes the whole experience useless.
The importance of ego loss (to me) is not the actual experience of being stripped of my ego. During ego loss, there is nothingness, you cease to exsist, and it's hard to recall anything at all from this time. And you're right this is kind of useless. The important part (to me) is the ego being pieced back together, and it's my opinion that THIS is what most "psychonauts" are after in an ego loss experience.

Last edited:
Some of you are describing ego-loss to make it sound like unconsciousness, and I disagree. I think you can have all your senses and maybe partial memory recording the event. There is just no sense of who you are/were. And I think a common feature of this state would be forgetting everything in the past, including your life and language.

I would call it "hyperconsciousness" rather than unconsciousness. I think the reason you can't preceive any sense of self is that you are on such a higher level of consiousness that who you are and what you know is insignificant.

Again, this is just my opinion.

perhaps this needs to be kicked over to T&A...

if i understand the position of some posters in this thread correctly, there's no way of knowing ego loss has occurred.

you say you experienced ego-loss (in itself an oxymoron). how do you know you didn't just black-out?

alasdair

....yeah this has gotten confusing.

How do any of you know what Ego Loss feels like if you aren't consious or aware during the experience? The only thing you then actually have "experienced" is comming back to reality and feeling the mind and body connect once again.

This doesn't make sense to me.

^^^
heh. if you have to ask....

really, this thread has lost value in this forum, someone please move it to T&A