• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Ego Death Thread

EGO DEATH IS FUN???
I really hope you are joking about it being fun. Go lose your ego and then talk about things being "fun", you should get a nice laugh out of that one. To me it's re-birth. Seeing all your qualities from God's view. No longer yourself...detached from your self, but attached to the universe. Impossible to explain, but don't just go eat half a pound of mushies to see it...cuz you may regret it completely. Build up, step by step, and see if you're ready.

Have to agree with TheTruth on this one, it is the most misused term in this forum. People who have a change in consciousness when on drugs have the idea that this is somehow the death of the ego, this is not so.
ebola! gave the correct definition when he/she said "when the border between self and other disappears".
Most of the other definitions and experiences are just changes in consciousness and dont come close to ego death which is a highly sought state among spiritual seekers and rarely achieved.
Drugs can temporarily breakdown the attachment of the mind to the ego and allow glimpses of self realisation, where the illusion of there being more than one is dissolved and the bliss of oneness is realised. Of course drugs are not the only or best method to attain this goal. Spiritual practices such as meditation have been used through the ages to reach this state.
Ego death is not a bad experience, it is highly sought after for someone who is ready and prepared for it. The people who say it is bad are either having a bad trip or become scared when the normal bodily consciousness starts to dissolve.

I was really scared going into ego disillusion, but without the ego, I didn't have a reason to be scared anyomore (I didn't have a GOOD one in the first place. :) ); it was bliss :)

I don't have the same opinion as the people who liked this experience. When it came upon me, I freaked out to some degree. I didn't expect it, and didn't know when it would end.
everybody's different, and I guess I came away with a new lense to look at life threw, which is always cool, but I don't consider it a pleasant experience at all.
ego death defines itself. There are certain things about being human which make us unique, and and ego death destroys these things, at least for the moment.

haha, yes i was kidding about ego death being fun. but then again, i kind of wasn't. one night i took about 1/3 gram of the most potent dried mushrooms that i had ever taken.. and i expereinced what i THOUGHT was ego death. it was just on the threshold of what one would call a "level 5" mushroom trip. not quite to level 5, but right on the threshold. while i was in that state of mind, i really wasn't enjoying myself, and yes, it wasn't really fun. i don't remember most of the night.
however, when i look back on it, i can't wait to do it again because i'm ready this time, and i would be able to enjoy it. and i am quite certain that if i can get to that level again (or hopefully higher) i will have a blast and really enjoy the loss of ego..
i think the main problem with ego loss and why so many people have a hard time with it.. is they try to "hold on" to their ego, but there's no way in hell that's gonna happen.. so it's like you are defeated.. but you still think you have your ego and you still try to hold on to it.. if you just let go and let it happen, it won't be so bad.
[ 20 February 2002: Message edited by: dpp ]

Ego Loss?

Grrr...I'm pretty sure there has been some discussions on this here but when I tried to UTFSE it said the word "ego" couldn't be searched for because it was in the minimal letter count or some shit like that. Do you know how many words are 3 fucking letters when it comes to drugs!

Ok anyway....can someone describe to me as detailed as possible, what Ego Loss is like. I heard it can be felt on powerful psychedelic experiences and I was just wondering what 'ego loss' actuall feels like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't answer that, however, you can search ego* I believe.

You can search 3 letter words if you add a *.

Your ego is your sense of self, who you are. When you experience ego loss you loose that sense of self. I can't really describe the feeling, it' difficult to put into words, and I'm not that good with putting feelings into words in the first place.

Ego death, can be a fun experience and a not fun experience. What is it like? It can feel like you have tottaly losed yourself, or it can feel like you are experiencing your body to a full extent.

Very hard to explain, I'm sure that website above will be a good read.

peace.

Ok so basically you no longer associate with your own self, you are kinda stripped of your existence and are now viewing yourself and reality as like a 3rd party....reality being party 1 and you (the ego) being party 2. I get the concept and idea in my head I just don't know if I projected it out correctly.

It sounds like an unreal experience, one that you can only understand once you've "been there and done that."

Thanx for the information guys, if you have anything else to contribute please do!

Try to imagine the self as layers and layers, a bit like a tree trunk. Now imagine the ego is a large percentage of those layers, and slowly but surely they disappear.

Ego loss is different for everyone, I can only tell you about my own experience, but when I did it (after a large dose of mushroom tea), it was like being taken to the core functions of the self. Everything short of breathing becomes irrelevant. You have utter control of the self (or so you think). The body is one, you are not segregated into limbs and organs, it all functions as a smooth harmonious process. You will also feel like you are "melting" into the surroundings. Everything external of the body becomes connected to you somehow. You can see the links between everything and perceve the workings of the world (a good analogy would be lifting up the bonnet of the car (world), and watching it run.

You may likely feel a loss of reality, as if normality as you knew it has taken on a whole new aspect. What truly matters comes to the fore, and you are subsequently "reborn" (for lack of a better word). You learn as the trip subsides to rebuild your ego, only this time, it's changed (and hopefully / likely for the better).

Hope that helps.

^^^
wow, that was PERFECT....crazy shit man.

You learn as the trip subsides to rebuild your ego, only this time, it's changed (and hopefully / likely for the better).

Ok so after the Ego comes back....can you be permanetly damaged psychologically? Is this the "danger" factor which can be attriibuted to strong psychedelic use????

Ego- A defense mechanism that is partly conscious and contains the capacities to calculate, reason, and plan. As the Id relates to internal events, the Ego is occupied with the external world. Its task is to regulate and control the instincts provided by the Id. However, in times of sleep, the ego detaches itself from the outside world and changes its organization. The prime function of the ego is determined by the individuals experiences. The ego is the surface of the personality, the part you show the world. The ego is governed by the "reality principle ," or a pragmatic approach to the world. For example, a child may want to steal a cookie from the kitchen, but will not if a parent is present. Id desires are still present, but the ego realizes the consequences of brazen cookie theft.

Ego loss is not characterized by a 3rd party style detachment because you cease to exist as your identiy is stripped away. Instead it is a loss of reality in which you are reduced to Id; basic and instinctive subjective reality.

well, that's my take on it anyway. i'm probably wrong.

Dan, yes this is exactly what they talk about when they refer to danger.. and I'm tripping to hard to talk about it now... bbl :D

whoever you think your are, whatever opinions you have about yourself will all melt away and you'll see yourself how you really are. that's how it was for me. it's the best thing that has ever happened to me

Dan1584 said:
after the Ego comes back....can you be permanetly damaged psychologically? Is this the "danger" factor which can be attriibuted to strong psychedelic use????

I suppose it depends. I wouldn't say I was permanently "damaged" as such, but it has made me very apprehensive about using any kind of psychedelic ever again. I suffered from complete "reality" paranoia quite strongly in the 3 weeks afterwards, questioning everything : "Is that really there? I can see it and touch it, but is it real or my brain?" If you suffer from paranoia or delusions anyway, I'd suppose the "damage" as such would be worse, it all depends on how internally strong you are.

Ego loss can't be described. It is the 'loss of self'. The thinker ceases to think. It is a state of nothingness. You can't describe ego loss because the 'you' does not exist to experience it. One doesn't even know ego loss occurs until it's over.