• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Ego Death Thread

it doesn't take much of any psychedelic substance to come to a realization that your ego is just an illusion of who you really are and we are all one, everything is connected..etc.. I agree with others that 'planning' an ego death in order to come to some greater realization than this is futile. I think more can be learned when it's unexpected. That's not to say 400 ug of LSD and 100 mgs of DMT won't be a great experience though :) May I ask though, OP, what are you hoping to learn or gain from this experience? IME, ego death has only made me appreciate life with an ego even more.

it doesn't take much of any psychedelic substance to come to a realization that your ego is just an illusion of who you really are and we are all one, everything is connected..etc.. I agree with others that 'planning' an ego death in order to come to some greater realization than this is futile. I think more can be learned when it's unexpected. That's not to say 400 ug of LSD and 100 mgs of DMT won't be a great experience though :) May I ask though, OP, what are you hoping to learn or gain from this experience? IME, ego death has only made me appreciate life with an ego even more.

Well said.

Also, the fact that you're plannig for it shows you "know". That knowledge is enough, IMO. I didn't know when I experienced my ++++. I learned afterwards, but that was the kickstart. Sounds to me you already had your kickstart ;).

it doesn't take much of any psychedelic substance to come to a realization that your ego is just an illusion of who you really are and we are all one, everything is connected..etc..

I don't think that has any basis in reality tho - that's just a religious idea that people came up with and now everyone who takes psychedelics feels they have to conform to that. I feel a whole range of emotions when I'm on psychedelics, I don't necessarily feel at one with anything or anyone except my self. That to me has more reality and depth than anything the so-called ego death has to offer.

I don't think that has any basis in reality tho - that's just a religious idea that people came up with and now everyone who takes psychedelics feels they have to conform to that. I feel a whole range of emotions when I'm on psychedelics, I don't necessarily feel at one with anything or anyone except my self. That to me has more reality and depth than anything the so-called ego death has to offer.

that's basically the same thing from a different perspective...kind of like the realization many people have after taking psychs that we're all experiencing the same thing from a different perspective...

I know I said "you" in my original post but I really meant "I". That's just my experience, I'm not conforming to anything. I mean, some people may conform to it but you can't deny it's a pretty common theme for psych users.

We're on the same page then! :D

What about other trips, when you take psychedelics for appreciating nature or listening to music. I find those trips just as valuable as the ones where I feel at one.

i get ego death from weed and its just as powerful if not more powerful at annihalating my ego then psychs such as lsd, mushies

ego death doesn't sound right as a term, at least if you don't believe in zombies. What is dead can't be resurrected.

Eitherway, something of your ego is always arround even on breaktrought DMT doses. Even on my hardcore disso near death experiences I could tell something of my ego was still arround, and I pushed both psychedelics and dissos in a hardcore way.

Something is to be so fucked up that you can tell who you are because confussion, or so detached from your body that you can't even tell what the physicial realm is anymore, and another thing is to call that ego death. Identity loss would be a more accurate term.

agreed, if you need such a term - I find it is a linear process of intensified resonance, until the layers are so thick that meaning cannot coalesce out of the torrent of signals/energy - whiteout & blackout - or the threshold of whiteout, or just back from balckout... the ego is a construct that is too readily referenced and not at all understood, like the term subconscious, vague, historical, fuzzy.

Something i read today about this...
EGO DISSOLUTION

Ego dissolution occurs when one’s sense of self is either greatly diminished or completely (though temporarily) eradicated. It can have a profound impact on your perspective about life, consciousness, and the world and universe around you, to name a few.

It’s difficult to describe to someone who has never experienced a sense of literal selflessness, but it isn’t something to be feared. It’s a common occurrence with psychedelics.[19]People under the influence of LSD and other psychedelics often report that their sense of self is replaced by sense of beauty and interconnectedness with those around them, with nature, and with the world and the universe at large.

This can be jarring for some, however, especially for many Westerners who are socialized to believe that their core identities are separate, self-contained entities. The idea that you’re not a unique snowflake floating in the midst of the snowstorm can be so foreign to many people that often their initial reaction is to resist it and even fear it. But this is normal.

Most successful methods of personal and/or spiritual growth advocate for a greater focus on others rather oneself. Knowing what it means to be “a part of something bigger than oneself” is often the first revelation people have when starting out on fruitful paths of spiritual development.

Your relationships improve when you’re not so focused on what you get out of them, but rather what you put into them.

You’re more compassionate once you accept that you cannot control certain things in life and that you’re a very real part of something that is much bigger and much more important than your singular, relatively trivial life that you lead every day.

You have less tolerance for suffering and a greater desire to contribute to the good of humanity when you accept that the division between you and those who suffer is essentially arbitrary.

All of this is much easier to do when you realize that your sense of self — that is, your identity — is an illusion and that there is an inherent interconnectedness of everyone and everything around you that creates a shared experience for all of us. In this way, we all share the joy and the suffering of the world.

Psychedelics are a powerful tool by which this interconnectedness and sense of belonging to something greater than oneself can be realized and integrated into your everyday life.

Yeah I prefer the term "ego dissolution". If your ego was truly gone, you wouldn't remember anything afterwards, but your personality is your ego, the particular person attached to your brain hardware. Actually once on 2C-E, on my most intense psychedelic experience ever, I did completely lose memory, like I blinked and it was 20/30 minutes later, at the peak of the trip, when I felt that I was being fully drawn into the void.

People also lose memory due to intense trauma (though it's still in there - wonder if mine is still in there?), or from blacking out on alcohol or benzos. I have blacked out innumerable times when I was younger from alcohol... I don't think of it as ego death but kinda was even moreso than my experiences with ego dissolution from psychedelics.

Just pretend I read all 27 pages.

I died once, at least, maybe more, because if you're really gone, what would remember?
Shrooms took the world outside the room, threw it away; raised the room until is was the top of a tower, above the world which was an ocean, and then I was clouds.
It was pleasant until it wasn't anything but kinda pink.
Re-forming was smoothly sudden, but with an ominous tone. I think I reformed as I'd been, but the shrooms weren't done--they had some serious lessons.
I did not come out of that the same.

Kids, treat your shrooms with respect.