View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy DXM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
At higher doses it could definitely create a 'trippy' effect although it's usually not pleasurable.

I do it now and then if I have nothing else, I suppose it's the fact it's easily available

Exactly, that's where the problem is: easy accessibility. I bet you any money in a few years dextromethorphan (DM, DXM) will be a Schedule V drug.

At one point even cocaine was over-the-counter, same thing with morphine.

This is what sucks!

When i first started taking dxm, i would be sent into a dreamlike state where i would get clear as day closed eyed visuals. The first time i took it, i saw cowboys dancing in a two dimensional house. A dog from a fly eyes view. I even played halo in my head for a couple hours after playing the game on amphetammines all day. Tolerance, however, is a bitch. Its like ecstasy:eek:nce you lose the magic, it never comes back. Even after 3 months abstenince the tolerance was stronger than ever.

PS-never drink or eat heavily while/before your on dxm. You'll puke your fucking guts out and everyone in the house will know it.

Exactly, that's where the problem is: easy accessibility. I bet you any money in a few years dextromethorphan (DM, DXM) will be a Schedule V drug.

At one point even cocaine was over-the-counter, same thing with morphine.

This is what sucks!

It will most likely not happen until a viable replacement for DXM is found, the only other effective cough suppressant was codeine and out of the 2 I'd say DXM is the lesser evil.

A cough is such a common ailment aswell, the FDA wouldn't want people having to go to the doctor for a prescription every time they have a cough.

Although I have no doubt once a replacement for DXM is found it will be banned like everything else.

how much for a good dxm trip?

ok so tomorrow i plan on tripping on dxm i know blah blah blah its bad for your liver but thats not a concern of mine although what is , is if i will trip as hard as i wish i did dxm once before and didnt really trip much with 300mg i felt something but it wasnt really that interesting so i was wondering how much it would take me to have a 3rd-4th plateau dxm trip

things to note :
i am 17
150 pounds about(68.2 kg)
have only used dxm once in the past
have experience with many other drugs but not dissociatives

It is kind of hard to give advice to a person you've never met before, you have no idea how they will react to it. When I was a little younger than you, I used to do 1000 mg +, but I wouldn't say it is the smartest idea. Hopefully you have a tripping buddy, otherwise you could trip out.

It is kind of hard to give advice to a person you've never met before, you have no idea how they will react to it. When I was a little younger than you, I used to do 1000 mg +, but I wouldn't say it is the smartest idea. Hopefully you have a tripping buddy, otherwise you could trip out.

Pretty much this OP.

Maybe you can handle more than 600... but I don't think it would be smart to jump into 1,000mg with out testing the waters at 600 first.

You will trip for sure, just see how hard though and if you want it more powerful. Might just find 600mg to be a sweet spot, maybe 400 or 500.

Try smoking weed on it too. The two work together better than any other combo for some reason. If 600 ends up being a light dose, I still almost guarantee 600+ weed will hit you extremely hard with out you even seeing it coming.

But 600mg + weed is safer than taking a very high dose DXM with out any experience mid-range.

Check out there erowid FAQ on DXM too. It talks in detail about how the food you eat prior can really effect the trip and how using grape fruit can potentate and change the experience by inhibiting the enzyme that breaks down DXM into DXO.

Last edited:
Pretty much this OP.

Maybe you can handle more than 600... but I don't think it would be smart to jump into 1,000mg with out testing the waters at 600 first.

You will trip for sure, just see how hard though and if you want it more powerful. Might just find 600mg to be a sweet spot, maybe 400 or 500.

Try smoking weed on it too. The two work together better than any other combo for some reason. If 600 ends up being a light dose, I still almost guarantee 600+ weed will hit you extremely hard with out you even seeing it coming.

But 600mg + weed is safer than taking a very high dose DXM with out any experience mid-range.

I dont smoke weed anymore because i dont enjoy it but if i were to just add more dxm to the equation how long after taking the initial dose should i wait to decide if i should dose more?

I dont smoke weed anymore because i dont enjoy but if i were to just add more dxm to the equation how long after taking the initial dose should i wait to decide if i should dose more?

DXM kicks in after 1-2 hours usually but its a slow ride up to the peak so you will not know for sure for a while.

I highly suggest trying something near 600 but researching the whole grapefruit juice thing.

It really makes a huge difference. GFJ in sufficient quantities temporarily knocks offline the enzyme that breaks DXM down = much more potent trip. Be warned

I usually half to a whole gallon the day would use DXM and try not to eat anything a good 4-5hrs before the DXM but only drinking the GFJ during that time.

DXM kicks in after 1-2 hours usually but its a slow ride up to the peak so you will not know for sure for a while.

I highly suggest trying something near 600 but researching the whole grapefruit juice thing.

It really makes a huge difference. GFJ in sufficient quantities temporarily knocks offline the enzyme that breaks DXM down = much more potent trip. Be warned

I usually half to a whole gallon the day would use DXM and try not to eat anything a good 4-5hrs before the DXM but only drinking the GFJ during that time.

for me theres 2 problems with this:
1.im doing it in the morning and im not going about my day without eating until supper my bodies not used to that
2.i have no choice but to do it in the morning or ill get caught

would it still help if i had the grapefruit juice at the same time as the dose of dxm and ate in the morning?

Wait, why would you want to stop DXM from being metabolised? DXO is much more potent as an NMDA antagonist iirc.

for me theres 2 problems with this:
1.im doing it in the morning and im not going about my day without eating until supper my bodies not used to that
2.i have no choice but to do it in the morning or ill get caught

would it still help if i had the grapefruit juice at the same time as the dose of dxm and ate in the morning?

That's fine. Taking DXM in the AM would be fine as you would have not eaten while sleeping.

I would chug a glass or two of grapefuit juice as early as possible, can't hurt. Technically would work best before the DXM but at the same time still can have a decent effect.

Wait, why would you want to stop DXM from being metabolised? DXO is much more potent as an NMDA antagonist iirc.

DXO = strong disassociated type trip, sedating, yeah you feel incredibly messed up but it can feel a bit cold / distant and more so confusion than psychedelia, possibly dysphoric or simply lacking any euphoria, strong body buzz / body load / feeling of detachment or feeling of arms / legs being incredibly far away or different sizes than each other (similar to smoking marijuana after being drunk in my opinion)

DXM = still strong disassociation, stimulating, psychedelia, euphoria, strong music enhancement, visual distortions, moderate body buzz / feeling of detachment

in the end very similar but also noticeably different.... either way it is going to be a strong dissassociative but one if much more warm, glowy, fun, and potentially very introspective and mind manifesting

DXM seems to be strongest at the PCP2, serotonin, and sigma receptors ...and... DXO primarily targets the NMDA receptor (same receptor as alcohol hits)

Edit: to simplify... the more DXM = a more MDMA + PCP type vibe to the trip... more DXO = a more Ketamine type vibe

I supposed it depends on what you like, I always found DXO to feel much less pleasant though

Last edited:
DXO causes the "drunk" like effects you get from DXM. Usually these are only noticed on low doses, because the body naturally converts DXM to DXO with an enzyme. On higher doses, the enzyme can't change all of the DXM to DXO, and the DXM causes the other effects, like hallucinations and other effects you get off third or fourth plateau trips. The DXO is what distinguishes between the plateaus. On first plateau trips, its mostly DXO that your body is reacting to. On the second, there is a little bit of DXM to play with your brain. Grapefruit juice(and magnesium) are broken down with the same enzyme, so it can break less of the DXM into DXO. This enzyme is also the cause of the minority of people that get huge trips off low doses, they are missing the enzyme.

Taking straight DXO would be like smoking a few bowls or drinking a few beers, definatly not worth it.

Normally, when I take DXM I'll have a quart or half-gallon of grapefruit juice, and just drink it all day. But I've always had grapefruit juice in the house, and have drinken it for breakfast for years.

another opinion on it aswell^

Last edited:
That's fine. Taking DXM in the AM would be fine as you would have not eaten while sleeping.

I would chug a glass or two of grapefuit juice as early as possible, can't hurt. Technically would work best before the DXM but at the same time still can have a decent effect.

DXO = strong disassociated type trip, sedating, yeah you feel incredibly messed up but it can feel a bit cold / distant and more so confusion than psychedelia, possibly dysphoric or simply lacking any euphoria, strong body buzz / body load / feeling of detachment or feeling of arms / legs being incredibly far away or different sizes than each other (similar to smoking marijuana after being drunk in my opinion)

DXM = still strong disassociation, stimulating, psychedelia, euphoria, strong music enhancement, visual distortions, moderate body buzz / feeling of detachment

in the end very similar but also noticeably different.... either way it is going to be a strong dissassociative but one if much more warm, glowy, fun, and potentially very introspective and mind manifesting

DXM seems to be strongest at the PCP2, serotonin, and sigma receptors ...and... DXO primarily targets the NMDA receptor (same receptor as alcohol hits)

Edit: to simplify... the more DXM = a more MDMA + PCP type vibe to the trip... more DXO = a more Ketamine type vibe

I supposed it depends on what you like, I always found DXO to feel much less pleasant though

alright thanks for all the info :)

Oh, okay, I see, I might try the grapefruit juice thing then sometime. Though I've always found mid-to-upper third plateau trips to be very pleasant and euphoric. Of course, I really like being as dissociated as possible. Thanks for clearing it up for me though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.