• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives The Big & Dandy DXM Thread - Part 2 - Robojesus, forgive us our sins

^^ Same here. I think its a hypnagogic jerk that is

DPH makes me feel like shit and doesnt put me to sleep, I end up writhing around because my joints feel weird as hell and im vasoconstricted.

Anyway, I'm not going to bother questioning your use of dxm, but no one can reliably tell you anything about anything based on your symptoms. We're as good as webMD: go there and you'll find out youve got onset testicular cancer. Best shot is to lay off the DXM and see if you notice a change.

Also you should lay off the melatonin, its bad to take frequently unless you're using it to reset a sleep/wake cycle. That could very well be a reason for your problems, your body stops producing its own and you become reliant on the outside source of melatonin. Honestly, sounds to me like you're just self prescribing yourself a bunch of stuff because you read somewhere it may help with such n such.. I don't mean to be offensive. Does your doctor who prescribed you the mirtazepine know about the other stuff?

Really if you're here saying you feel like its fatal, pull your damn head out of your ass and stop using

Honestly, sounds to me like you're just self prescribing yourself a bunch of stuff because you read somewhere it may help with such n such..

Yup, that's exactly what I'm doing, and I'm not afraid to admit it. But I'm also not afraid to admit to myself that the drugs benefiting me might also be causing me problems.

I can now say with certainty that I am getting diminishing returns from DXM, that its antidepressant effects are indeed waning.

Does your doctor who prescribed you the mirtazepine know about the other stuff?

Fuck, no he doesn't. The dude doesn't even work for the county anymore, and the only doctor I've seen lately has been my family practitioner.

I'd don't really trust psychiatrists/psychologists. My problems cannot be cured (or even properly handled) by modern psychiatry anyway, so all I can hope to expect is to get prescribed more medications to treat my symptoms.

Really if you're here saying you feel like its fatal, pull your damn head out of your ass and stop using

Good advice, bad advice. You are essentially telling me to discontinue the use of a psychiatric medication which I've been using for over 3 months. DXM might not be officially recognized as an antidepressant, but it does have AD properties, and it is unwise to stop an antidepressant cold-turkey. I will continue to taper my dose until the brain zaps abate. Once that happens I'll wait a little longer, and use larger doses much more infrequently (i.e. on special occasions only).

Thanks for the responses, ia, tnw.

From the other DXM thread:
For the record, I said "every other day," not every day. That is, I've been taking DXM one day out of every two (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_every_other_day_mean). I can understand the confusion, since "every other day" is considered slang.

Please, there is no need to get cheeky with me, clearly I know what every other day means. I passed over that part I will admit, I apologize for making the minor mistake.

I've gone and done a bit of research and have come across a number of sources claiming at low (coincidentally 120mg) doses DXM acts as an SSRI of sorts. I had heard about this before vaguely. Nonetheless, my reasoning for being against it was what you presented to the thread, the fact that you were having adverse effects.. and I guess I'll address that partially with the rest of your post in this thread..

Fuck, no he doesn't. The dude doesn't even work for the county anymore, and the only doctor I've seen lately has been my family practitioner.

I'd don't really trust psychiatrists/psychologists. My problems cannot be cured (or even properly handled) by modern psychiatry anyway, so all I can hope to expect is to get prescribed more medications to treat my symptoms.

So you're self prescribing yourself drugs because you say others have not worked at all (lexapro and other iirc from the other thread), and at the same time, you are/were seeing a psych and not telling him of your drug use, who then prescribed you something else. You seem like a somewhat intelligent guy but you're aware of how drugs can interact with each other right?

You bring up that you don't really trust psychologists/psychiatrists, and with the fact that you're withholding your drug usage (recreational or 'self prescribed' leads me to believe you're likely withholding a lot of other relevant information to your situation from them as well. You seem to denounce modern psychiatry because you feel it cannot cure you. Well no, psychiatric problems cannot be "cured" in the same sense as a flu or a broken leg can be cured no. You mention you have depression, perhaps severe and what you believe to be "non-treatable."

I question why you seem to think you can treat it on your own better? Your entire logic is an affront to the whole of not just modern psychiatry but psychiatry in general. If you want help finding the solution for an equation, how can you expect to get the proper solution when you hand the person willing to help you an incomplete equation?

I've been where you are, and I still end up there myself. I've been on an antidepressant before and personally I felt it helped for a while, but things became worse over time.. not in the sense my depression got worse, but side effects and other shit from my life. I understand how disillusioned you can feel with the whole of the psychiatric profession, it is not cut and dry like other professions and it can feel at times like they are blindly guessing at what to do.. but if you don't give them a proper picture to work with they cant help so much.. if you are 100% honest and give your doctor as much honest information as possible they can guide you towards the best possible treatments.

Treatment is the key word, they are treatments.. they are not cures. Another key thing here is the fact that no drug, no substance is going to instantly change things. A huge part of therapy is learning to change your behaviours and learning to find triggers and other things for your depression, learning how to avoid learned responses and change those. Im in correspondence with a few psychologists on other boards and they are quite often incredibly frustrated by patients who just want to get drugged up and not put in any work or effort to attempt to fix their situations.

When it comes to depression and the likes drugs are mostly used as a catalyst for change, they can help you get out of bed and they can help you begin to see things from a different perspective to build new pathways for feelings and emotions from input stimuli. Nothing is going to change if you don't put in the effort to change, and from the sounds of your post you really aren't looking to change all that much.. you're not willing to relinquish any form of control it seems like, so you have bigger issues than depression. You need to start being honest with yourself and honest to those you seek to get help from if you really want things to change.

Good advice, bad advice. You are essentially telling me to discontinue the use of a psychiatric medication which I've been using for over 3 months. DXM might not be officially recognized as an antidepressant, but it does have AD properties, and it is unwise to stop an antidepressant cold-turkey. I will continue to taper my dose until the brain zaps abate. Once that happens I'll wait a little longer, and use larger doses much more infrequently (i.e. on special occasions only).

I said to stop using the substance if you're really noticing horrible effects from it (and I would consider whatever feels "fatal" to be a horrible effect worth eliminating the drug for). This did not mean stop using entirely immediately cold turkey.

Honestly man, I'm not trying to be a douche or be anti-dxm because I enjoy robotripping once in a while myself, but when you come in here saying you're having feelings which you describe as fatal.. it just seems fucking completely obvious to me that you should stop using no matter what the substance is, be it a psychotropic drug or the milk you drink, and if you have to taper, then taper.

I took 500mg of DXM, forgetting that I'm on Wellbutrin a couple months ago and and tripped WAY harder. I also had very vivid open eyed visuals, which would usually take 1,200mg for me. Has anybody ever tried this combination? DXM and Wellbutrin? The trip was weird! Not in a bad way, but probably 80% good and 20% bad if I we're asked. The only reason for the 20% "bad", is because I was having to not let myself throw-up cuz my stomach was twisted. I'm not condoning mixing DXM on ANY anti-depressant. I wasn't even thinking about the contradictions. I've just been on Wellbutrin for a good minute and didn't think about it. I mean come on. I'm so used to taking it so it's not present mentally anymore. I know that Wellbutrin is a Norpinephrine Dopamine Re-uptake Inhibitor and doesn't effect your serotonin levels, but if I remember correctly, DXM is closest to a Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitor. Basically? Everything I said says "Serotonin Syndrome" written all over it. Watch your DXM intake on other meds (obviously) but especially anti-depressants. Hope this helps somebody. %)

Hey, I also take Wellbutrin and have definitely found it to interact with DXM. I was on 150mg for several months and found no interaction, but I've increased to 300mg since then and that certainly made a difference. I find that mentally my trips are pretty much the same, but I get a very unpleasant physical side-effect now. Once the high starts to come on, I get these 'hand spasms'. My hands twitch and spasm very frequently and I have no control over it. It doesn't hurt or anything but it's quite frustrating because I can't do certain things I like to do while on DXM, like draw, photograph, play music, or pretty much anything that requires a steady hand. It's also much harder to relax and be introspective when my hands are jerking like that.

Has anyone else who's taking Wellbutrin experienced this? I'm wondering if there's some kind of sedative/anticonvulsant I can take while I'm dosing to counteract these spasms. My friend gets prescribed lorazepam which I know is an anticonvulsant so I might try that. I also get prescribed zopiclone (a non-benzo sedative) which may be helpful.

*If the pharamceuticals aren't available when I'm tripping, I also have some herbal sedatives I recently acquired: Chamomile, hops, passionflower, lemonbalm, kava kava. (There's also cannabis of course.) Anyone know if any of those have anticonvulsant properties and would be effective?

Last edited:
I take it in the gelcaps. (though I want to buy some pure stuff once I have the funds.) My dosage is fairly high recently.. I was taking DXM pretty frequently for a couple of months as an antidepressant, so my tolerance gradually skyrocketed. I'm trying to take it only once a month now.. but yeah I guess my dosage would be around 5-600mg.

600 is 4th plateau for someone 140 lbs

Erm.. based on what? You'd hit third if you had zero tolerance. 4th takes 1000 or more, according to any of the calculators Ive ever come across (set to 140lbs) and based on my past experience (which frankly was a long time ago now). 600mg is a number balked at by many.

I take it in the gelcaps. (though I want to buy some pure stuff once I have the funds.) My dosage is fairly high recently.. I was taking DXM pretty frequently for a couple of months as an antidepressant, so my tolerance gradually skyrocketed. I'm trying to take it only once a month now.. but yeah I guess my dosage would be around 5-600mg.

i have a wild hunch. your hand spasms sorta sound like dopamine toxicity. maybe the mannitol in the gel caps is causing your wellbutrin to cross into parts of your brain that it normally doesn't reach. (mannitol alters Blood Brain Barrier permeability). most other DXM preparations don't have mannitol. maybe try robitussin syrup for your next tripinstead? if you do try a different type without mannitol, report back and let me know whether or not you still get the hand spasms. like i said, its a wild hunch, so who knows.

it could also just be the way DXM itself interacts with wellbutrin. either way it doesn't sound too enjoyable. if you start to notice hand spasms in the days after using, definitely quit mixing the two.

Interesting. I didn't even know there were so many inactive ingredients in the gelcaps because they don't list any of them on the product itself. Searched on dailymed.gov and found all of this:

FD&C blue no. 1, FD&C red no. 40, gelatin, glycerin, mannitol, medium chain triglycerides, pharmaceutical ink, polyethylene glycol, povidone, propyl gallate, propylene glycol, purified water, sorbitol, sorbitol anhydrides

Sheesh. Makes me want to try the pure stuff even more.. Anyway, I guess I can try the syrup again. I find it impossible not to puke from the stuff but it's worth a test run. Do you happen to know why they put mannitol in the gelcaps and not the syrup? And no, the hand spasms only last for two or three hours I think. Definitely stops before I have completely come down.

i don't know why they put mannitol in the gel caps. maybe to help absorption in some way. mannitol is also used as a sweetener in some stuff, but that's obviously likely not to be the reason they put it in the gel caps.

Please, there is no need to get cheeky with me, clearly I know what every other day means. I passed over that part I will admit, I apologize for making the minor mistake.

Some people actually don't know the saying, so I apologize for being presumptuous.

So you're self prescribing yourself drugs because you say others have not worked at all (lexapro and other iirc from the other thread), and at the same time, you are/were seeing a psych and not telling him of your drug use, who then prescribed you something else.

No, back when I was seeing a psych he as well as the counselors at mental health knew that I was experimenting with DXM and nutmeg. They weren't happy that I was doing so but, oddly enough, they also weren't the ones to warn me about serotonin syndrome; I had to find out about that one on my own. After learning about SS, I stopped taking DXM until off the SSRIs.

You seem like a somewhat intelligent guy but you're aware of how drugs can interact with each other right?

Of course, though I do not know about all the possible interactions. I checked up on mirtazapine, but could find no contraindications. Do you know of any? I'll check again anyway, and I'll also investigate melatonin (which I haven't taken nor needed since your message about it) just in case melatonin is converted back into serotonin in the brain.

I question why you seem to think you can treat it on your own better?

Because I know myself better than anyone. Because I can try out many drugs without gaining approval first. Because psychiatry is only one step above peudoscience, and psychiatrists tend to randomly throw drugs at you to see what works.

A huge part of therapy is learning to change your behaviours and learning to find triggers and other things for your depression, learning how to avoid learned responses and change those.

I will concede that you make a good point there.

Uh no it's not. I'm 135 and a 4th plateau trip (without potentiation) is 15mg/kg (15mg/2.2lbs). I need 900mg+ to reach the 4th.

600mg got me mid to high 3rd on my first time.

Thats what I said, but he claims to be 140lbs and he claims that 600 gets him to the 4th plateau. Who am I to argue his own personal experience? I mean, I guess I can question whether he is mistaking 4th for 3rd, but maybe he just has a stupidly low natural tolerance, or maybe he just cant do the math properly and is really taking 900.. I didn't feel like it was something worth pursuing anyway.

ok, my friends about to try dxm for the first time. he has 16 coriciden cold and cough tablets, he heard that coriciden is dangerous because he would also be injesting chlorpheniramine maleate along with the dxm. he also heard that chlorpheniramine maleate is souluble in water so he tried to extract it out of the coriceden with ice water and was left with pink powder. he doesnt know if the powder contains the chlorpheniramine maleate or not and isnt sure if he should injest the powder. he thinks that if the exctraction worked correctly he should have like 300 mg of dxm mixed with dyes and bindings left. wich he says is the right amount for a first time user. does that sound right? im just tryin to look out for him. should most of the chlorpheniramine maleate be gone since he did the cold water extraction?