• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Deliriants Thread

No. Their use as entheogens by natives (at least the ones in this general geographic area) to my knowledge was based on the idea that it let you commune with the spirit world. I think we now know better, delirium is delirium, sure your mind is making the waking dreams, but it's haphazard and random like most regular dreams, not the mirror of the soul that psychs are.

Psychedelics are not a "mirror of the soul" either. That's just as delusional as putting your faith in anything. Just because deleriants put you in a delerious state, it doesn't mean that the images evoked are meaningless. Anything that brings subconscious material to the forefront of awareness is useful for understanding yourself and the world. Who are you to say that what someone else experiences is any less real than what you experience just because the method they use to gain that experience is different from yours?

What the "natives" have understood for a long time is that the unconscious realm of mind is a nexus that connects what we think we are with the universe at large. It's not the always the images themselves that are important, it's the interpretation of them from a different perspective. If the use of Datura serves their needs, who is anyone else to argue?

It is said that ayahuasca was discovered through the use of Datura. I'm not going to argue with that. I have no idea how it was discovered, so it's certainly not my place to stick my nose in and tell them they are wrong about it. Western science still has a poor understanding of the unconscious mind, but we do know that most of what our senses receives completely bypasses the consciously aware mind and goes straight in to the subconscious. I can easily see that with the correct methods to access it, it is a potential wellspring of usefulness.

Therapeutic use of psychedelics has been legimitately established by medical studies, not just us anecdotally amongst recreational users. Deliriants have not.

How many users have self-reported massive positive change or insight into themselves with anticholinergics versus neutral-to-horrible experiences? Given the answer to that, is it really so unreasonable to hold them inappropriate tools to use for self-exploration? I'd say it isn't, and I can't in good conscience recommend anything but avoiding them.

Why therapeutic use of deliriants is a bad idea:
  • Delirium severely impairs of short term memory per se.
  • Like dreams, which while produced by the subconscious are often meaningless or banal.
  • Severe hyperthermia, also risks of dehydration
  • Can't be left alone due to risk of self-injury or involuntary medical/legal intervention by third party
  • Documented fatalities from use
Obviously some of those won't be as much an issue if you're using diphenhydramine or some other OTC antihistamines, since you can keep things within an acceptable margin of safety, but the therapeutic and recreational value is still very low. If you find them of benefit, good for you, but their utility does not merit their being recommended to anyone, or mentioned as potentially useful tools alongside other chemicals covered here like psychs and dissociatives, they stand more as curiosities for the especially dauntless.

Anyhow- double checking, scopolamine has decent solubility in water but hyoscyamine doesn't seem share that solubility, though it is listed as soluble in alcohol. So tea might be scopolamine heavy and smoking involve more hyoscyamine. Not sure that that would result in any subjective difference. Just that an alcohol infusion would likely be more potent by volume than tea.

Last edited:
Judging by the vertical growth of the plants I've been sampling, it is highly possible that they are D. Stramonium rather than D. Wriighti like I initially assumed.

Also considering differences in solubility of hyoscyamine and scopolamine, I might try putting my used leaves (after tea) in IPA or some other solvent on hand to see if anything active is extracted.

OP: DPT is not purity through hell, there is no hell involved. I 've used it hundreds of times , its most similar to DMT

The trip is as 'random' as your waking thoughts, minus the inhibition imposed upon them by trying to direct them towards constructive means, as we tend to do in waking life.
In terms of self exploration and whatnot, i imagine delerium to be about as insightful as dream analysis. But you remember much more from a datura trip than you would a nightdream.
The 'missing' 5 - 20 hours is a drag, though.

Seems like a lot of people posting on here are just going off of what they have read and what their buddies have told them. I have had 3 experiences now with dimenhydrinate. My first two experiences were months ago so I’ll just go off what I remember. My first was 600mgs. It was a pretty weird night. I was at a campfire with probably 12 other people just passing around a bowl. I was on probation so was not smoking. I remember faces of older men forming in the fire and in the mountains a ridge over. My speech was sloppy and I was sort of nodding in and out and could not keep up with conversations. At one point I looked over at the guy next to me and he was dead. I blinked and it was back to normal. A few minutes afterwards I was asleep and fighting off the invisible bugs.

Next time was at my families lake house with a friend of mine being a trip sitter. I took 900mgs if I remember correctly. It ends up my trip sitter fell asleep. I remember two hallucinations I had. The first was looking over at my friend who was asleep but his eyes were wide open and he had no pupils. We proceeded to have a 5 minute conversation about who knows what. The second was me picking up my laptop. I reached down to type my password in and my hands went right through my the keyboard. I blinked and then realized I had never had my laptop at all. At this point I realized it was probably better if I went to bed

My 3rd experience was last night. I had taken 100mgs earlier in the day to help with motion sickness, but I am not sure if it would of played a role later than night. I took 300mgs. I didn’t feel anything for about an hour and a half and then a pleasant euphoria hit me. I loved it but the sense of tiredness I had was quickly overwhelming me. Playing zombies on Call Of Duty was my way of trying to stay awake. I was standing up while playing and could feel my words start to slur and body start to sway. I took a quick walk on the dock, and while I did not get any crazy hallucinations I was captivated by a spider web on the dock. I stared at it for a good 5 minutes. It looked a lot more complex and seemed to be more 3dish. Not sure if that makes since. Very cool though. I stayed up until my voice was slurring too much and my little brother s friends started to notice. Crawled into bed, but it took me about an hour to get rid of the invisible bug feeling. Today I woke up and fell back asleep multiple times until mid afternoon. That was the only downfall of this low dose or I would do it on a more often.

I'm glad I contribute to this thread with my experience!

I was given Toé during a retreat in Peru. The initial part of the experience was a bit difficult, I remember needing to pee every 5 minutes, and not being able to move so well. Then I zoned out, and spent the next 10 hours in another state. I have almost no memory of what happened. I slowly regained consciousness the next day in my hut and had to ask people what had happened. As I was regaining consciousness, i remember hallucinating slightly.

The people who were with me told me i had an amazing time and was talking to every plant and tree i could get my hands on. I was also pointing at things, laughing and admiring a whole lot of stuff i can't remember. As it was happening, I had no idea it was an altered state. It took 4 people to help me get my shoes on, and 5 people to babysit me throughout the night. Without them, i would have run to the forest. The curandero gave me the Toé because he believed i needed it. It is a very powerful and useful plant if used well!

I'm glad I contribute to this thread with my experience!

I was given Toé during a retreat in Peru.

Toé = Brugmansia suaveolens = tree datura. It contains some interesting tropane alkaloids besides the normal atropine/scopolamine.1

I have experience with pilsenkraut and diphenhydramine.. I know people who have taken high doses of DPH but they rarely have a good time (though there are reports of people who habitually use high doses of antihistamines for recreational use out there). The most I have used personally is 250mg at one time of DPH. This is a low dose for those looking for intense hallucinations, but I found it mildly trippy and pleasant with no side effects other than felling slightly off the next day, but generally not worth repeating (sobriety was better tbh, and I like all kinds of drugs).

Pilsenkraut on the other hand was quite enjoyable.. but I feel like if I had more than 4 bottles (around a litre) it would become very uncomfortable.. I enjoyed between 1 and 3 bottles (500-1500ml). Also if you plan on making pilsenkraut mix your henbane well before fermentation and start with one shot in a night, then two the next night etc. just cause I could drink 3 bottles doesn't mean your henbane will be the same potency. this is why datura is so dangerous to dose - there is no safe dose because the potency varies so much

here is a recipe for pilsenkraut (and the recipe I followed).. if you have an interest in trying tropanes (daturas, nightshades, brugmansias etc) this is one of the safer and more enjoyable ways to do it (and was quite common before Asian hops came to europe)
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/alcohol/alcohol_brew.shtml
(I hope this isn't sourcing/synthesis lol ill take it down if a mod has a problem with the link)

so even though I have limited experience with deliriants (7 experiences with pilsenkraut ranging from 100ml to 2 litres, and 3 diphenhydramine experiences, 1 100mg experience and 2 250mg trips) I have found all of them enjoyable.. and I belive this to b because I kept the doses low

you can always do more later, but you cant do less when you've done too much

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/to-the-withcraft-plant-thats-spoiling-ayahuasca-tourism[/URL] that discusses risks and deaths associated with Toé (brugmansia) in relation to the rise in ayahuasca tourism. When it comes to pharmaceutical sources of this class of drugs there are documented cases of death from overdose on places like pubmed. When it comes to pure drug forms make sure you research what is considered the dosage range to stay under that is likely to be life threatening. Here is good example for diphenhydramine http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11204550.

If you are going to try this class of drugs I suggest start small and if you need to work your way up in dose try gradually each separate trip. This is especially important with plants as it seems they may vary in dosage quite a lot."]
The first point I want to question is in regards to the point raised that the hallucinations from the anticholinergic deleriants are more "real" than any other class of drug. My own personal experiences disagree. Although the hallucinations I had from anticholinergics were different from any other drug I've experienced. Please let me explain. For example on high dose diphenhydramine I experienced hallucinations of people and proceeded engage in conversation with them for quite some time until they evaporated and I realised they were not real. This happened a number of times. I also spent quite some time involving complex tasks on my phone involving apps ect until it too evaporated and I realised the phone had been a hallucination. The room I was in and the surroundings that were all real including people and objects I could see that all as per normal. The fake people and objects I hallucinated appeared to be real and stayed visually and audually in tact in my otherwise actually real world until the fakes visually dissipated (evaporated) in front of my eyes. I was embarrassed to find that I was not paralysed such as in a dream or nightmare and was therefore talking and interacting with people and objects that weren't there for quite some time. This all happened in room with enough light to see everything that was going on. There weren't geometric patterns, pulsing colours or other notable visual distortions or effects as with classic hallucinogens.

I've had very real hallucinations from MDEA towards the later part of the experience. It's more like a dream I am in where I am unaware of reality and often in a totally different place with a different set of circumstances going on. I then snap back to reality and become aware I was just dreaming. This process can happen to me a number of times during one trip. For me the the dream episodes normally go on only for a moment or maybe a couple of seconds. Not long enough that a friend hanging out in my room to notice until I told him. In the normal reality my vision is usually a bit blurry and I often can make the eye wobbles happen (whole field of vision appears to shake a lot) such as when I look at poster on the wall and relax my eyes.

I've had hallucinations on MDA+MDMA that I thought were real for a second until I snapped out of it. Sort of a blurry mix of reality and imagination where low light or blackness probably played a part too. Such examples are staring out a car window at night as the red safety reflectors on the passing road poles passed by. For a moment the blurry red reflectors moving by became what I really thought was the red tail lights of nearby car. I suddenly snapped out of like a daze. Another time I just entered the my friend's apartment. It was a bit dark so I couldn't see too well. For just a moment a friend looked like he had a funny moustache and it all seemed kinda funny but I didn't know why. I snapped out of like a daze and could see more clearly. I could see that my friend was actually holding a big green bud up to his nose.

I've had friends and people I've met on 'messy' or trippy MDxx pills talk to walls, to thin air or even blurt out nonsense to a complete stranger. The friend who blurted nonsense to a stranger described an experience similar to my MDEA hallucinations. He was like in a dream for a second and he did something like grab someone he knew and talk to them. He snapped out of it to realise there was a complete stranger saying, "what did you say?"

One of the most intense experiences I've had is on a well made, very potent 15x salvia extract. Again the hallucinations seemed very real. I didn't know it it lasted minutes or seconds. I knew nothing of my normal reality I knew nothing of taking a drug. It was very much like a dream or rather a nightmare. As the nightmare neared the end I began to have a strong impression that I was outside my body and zooming out, coming back (to what I didn't know). I started seeing my room again. I gradually remembered my normal reality and that I'd taken salvia extract. I became fully aware of my surroundings but there was still intense fear. How can I put it? I was feeling de-personalised like only half of me was there and half was ripped out. The intensity of the hallucinations and the emotions was far beyond any other hallucinogen I'd tried before. I didn't think I'd return to normal. I was formulating the right sentence to I'd tell my boss I'm sorry I can't work for you any more. I've developed schizophrenia. Luckily it passed after around 20 minutes. The following 2 days I was left with an after shock of the fear.

An interesting phenomena I noticed with the hallucinations I got on anticholinergics was that I seemed to discover a method during the trip to test out if people or objects were real. The first bunch of hallucinations I was at a total loss. I interacted with them for ages until they evaporated in front of me. I really didn't like this at all. I tried blinking twice and I can't remember if it was an object or person first time but anyway it evaporated. Pretty soon I was blinking twice at regular intervals to see which people and objects would evaporate. It seemed to work. I spent less and less time tricked by fake people or objects. Then no more appeared. I do not know if this method seemed to work because for me because of my unconscious in relation to my childhood history with nightmares. As a child I believed I had the ability sometimes to wake myself from nightmares. This was because I'd had a number of nightmares where I'd had the sensation of becoming aware I was in one then blinking twice (or sometimes more if really bad) followed by waking up. Has anyone else tried this or really felt like they'd found a way to quickly test out the hallucinations that worked every time?

Last edited:
I would think there are many, even well educated people that are likely to contrast this opinion especially considering the Carl Jung's work into dream analysis and his role in modern psychology. Given some modern university conducted scientific studies of dreams and brain imaging I might also think that some may question your opinion too.

I second this. Just read Freud's book about dreams, it's very very interesting stuff. Also, the hallucinations you have while on delirants are not produced by the drug itself, but by your mind, and as such I believe that they aren't just randomly generated delusions but may have some meaning.
but here again, I read (I don't remember where) a theory about your brain generating hallucinations to fill in gaps created in memory during a delirant trip, or somethng similar, too bad I really can't remember better now.

After 15 years of drug use and testing the limits of both psychedelics and dissociatives, I feel the time might be right to dive into a delirium sometime soon. I just need to find the right time. God I can't wait. Drug use has been less about hedonism and more about just experiencing the various states my mind can be in with time passing by. Soon!

[*]Like dreams, which while produced by the subconscious are often meaningless or banal.
lolwhut?!

Last edited:
After 15 years of drug use and testing the limits of both psychedelics and dissociatives, I feel the time might be right to dive into a delirium sometime soon. I just need to find the right time. God I can't wait. Drug use has been less about hedonism and more about just experiencing the various states my mind can be in with time passing by. Soon!

I am at a similar stage in my progression of substances and I feel there can be lots of benefits from the tropane alkaloids, if used in the right way. I have just started collecting Belladonna leaves, for experimentation. From reading here I was surprised to find that is an opiate overdose antidote, amongst other things. Will prove to be interesting.

I was walking down the street the other day when a dog said this:

"Igot given a brugs cutting a week ago and before rooting it in the ground I cut off a good handful of leaves and dried em out. Smoked 3 hits of the leaves chopped up through a bong about 45 mins apart before heading to sleep about an hr later, had crazy vivid dreams all night. Now 24 hours on I smoked some weed before and its definitely made the weed stronger, almost as if it was my first time again when really I've smoked almost everyday for 2 years or so, and I find I'm clenching my teeth aswell. Leaves are definitely active, be careful, they are a poison after all, but if you start really low and don't dive in headfirst theres you should be fine."

I didn't see anyone mention taking DXM + DPH in a combo. I mean, I liked it. It gets rid of nearly all of the negative effects and puts you into an enjoyable dream-like delirium state.
I've done it a few times with lower doses of DPH and it usually made the DXM experience more comfortable and enjoyable. One time I tried to take a large dose of DPH with DXM and I started getting some crazy CEV's and then I puked, surely would've been crazy had I held it down.

I've only tried tripping DPH on its own merits once. I believe I took 550 mg, perhaps a bit more. There were some arguably cool visual effects and my short-term memory was completely gone. It was probably the most uncomfortable intoxication I've ever experienced, though not really frightening. I doubt I'll ever do it again, but I guess it was a pretty unique experience.

There is no insight, just delirium IMO.

I just crushed up 4 Buscopan tablets and smoked them in a bowl. Only a tiny bit of the scolopamine reaches the brain so your straight in 4 hours (and you have fixed dose units). I think it's the safest way to find out if you like these kind of effects - all the other agents seem to last much longer. After all, DXO is a prodrug so there is a slow rise in activity - smoked, Buscopan puts you into a peak scolopamine trip in just a few minutes and is totally gone in quite a short time.... so I guess you could redose. MUST be safer than eating plants of unknown potency...