Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Cluster Headaches, Migraines and Psychedelics Thread

Modify_you

Bluelighter
WIKI info on Cluster headaches:

Cluster headache is a disease that involves, as its most prominent feature, repeated attacks of excruciatingly severe pain that occur always on only one side of the head. (Unilaterally) [1][2] Cluster Headache belongs to a group of primary headache conditions, classified as Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalalgias or (TACs). There is currently no known cure for cluster headache.
Cluster headaches often occur periodically; spontaneous remissions may interrupt active periods of pain, though about 10-15% of chronic cluster headache sufferers never remit.[3] The burden of cluster headache can be so great, that many patients affected with the disease may have experienced suicidal ideation, some have attempted and a small minority have completed suicide, leading sometimes to the use of a nickname "suicide headache."[4] The cause of the condition is not yet known. It affects approximately 0.1% of the population and men are more commonly affected than women, by a ratio of 2.1:1.[5]

Psilocybin is the psychoactive substance found naturally in hallucinogenic mushrooms.[74] A self-reported interview of 53 cluster headache sufferers taking LSD or Psilocybin was conducted.[75] According to responses, consuming a sub-hallucinogenic dose during and prior to the onset of a cluster episode can abort or prevent the progression.[75] It is not the hallucination that counters the pain; it is not yet known why it may be effective.[75] One notable finding is that some patients reported that treatment extends remission.[76] According to the interview report, "Twenty-two of 26 psilocybin users reported that psilocybin aborted attacks ... 7 of 8 LSD users reported cluster period termination; 18 of 19 psilocybin users and 4 of 5 LSD users reported remission period extension."[76][77]
In most countries like the United States, it is illegal to possess or consume these substances. Hallucinogenic mushrooms and LSD are currently scheduled and controlled narcotics, and thus medical research has been difficult. In April 2013, a major study by the British government on Psilocybin's benefit in treating depression was postponed because of regulatory and legal concerns.[78] In the absence of ongoing safety studies and adverse event monitoring, the safety profile for these substances is largely anecdotal. For a small population of sufferers, the legal and safety risks are outweighed by the pain caused by the condition."Drugs Inc 2: Hallucinogens". Drugs Inc 2: Hallucinogens. Season 2. National Geography. Some sufferers claim that this treatment prevented their suicide.[79] Even the US government's Partnership for a Drug-Free America has noted that, "No other medication, to our knowledge, has been reported to terminate a cluster period."[80]
This treatment has side effects, including hallucinations and stomach pain, and users should not operate motor vehicles while under the influence of these substances.[79] Ingestion with tea and honey may help alleviate stomach pain.[80]
In 2009, Newsweek published a cursory review of the risks of traditional treatments (calcium channel blockers) and the benefits of psilocybin as an alternative.[77]

[original post:]

I just recently got diagnosed with cluster headaches. I did some looking online and found an article that suggested that low doses of psilocybin mushrooms are an effective treatment. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember reading that theres some hope in finding a cure for migraines through egrots like lsd...

I dont have any personal experience with this nor any articles to back this stuff up (google, erowid) but a FOAF does. She has clusters a few times a week. LSD postponed them for a few weeks and if she's in the middle of an episode, she takes a small hit of DMT to stop it in its tracks. Many tryptamines are effective not only in stopping a present episode, but offering relief from them for anywhere from days to months. good luck buddy.

Nice.. They gave me a prescription for sumatriptan succinate (Imitrex), and its really hit or miss when it works and a 5 pill scrip is like $250. I want to try the low dose of DMT but it's extremely hard to come by in my area. I'm curious as to whether any RC's would help, mostly because they are fairly common in my area.

saw on Nat Geo explorer that lsd practically eliminates cluster headaches for a few people in a study done on it.

Apparently morning glory seeds or Hawaiian baby woodrose work well.

Yeah i have heard and read on a number of different occasions that psychedelics can be very effective at preventing cluster headaches and stopping them in their tracks, while prescription drugs have little to no effect.

Mushrooms supposedly work well and a steady supply can be sustained indefinitely, provided you cultivate your techniques in propagation.

Yeah i have heard and read on a number of different occasions that psychedelics can be very effective at preventing cluster headaches and stopping them in their tracks, while prescription drugs have little to no effect.

There's some weird LSD analogue that's sometimes prescribed that's apparently ok, but not as good as LSD or mushrooms.

Nice.. They gave me a prescription for sumatriptan succinate (Imitrex), and its really hit or miss when it works and a 5 pill scrip is like $250. I want to try the low dose of DMT but it's extremely hard to come by in my area. I'm curious as to whether any RC's would help, mostly because they are fairly common in my area.

It's fairly simple to extract your own DMT from various plants that contain it. If you have the cash and space to do it, I say go for it and if you get enough plant material you may never have to look for it again.

I'm curious about extracting my own DMT as well.. At the present moment I have access to some really potent mushrooms, which is my recreational drug of choice anyway.

So opinions on what size dose I should try?

Lysergamide Migraine Treatment

On erowid there is an experience in which the poster says he uses 3-10 Morning Glory seeds as a migraine treatment. He says he'd tried every pharmaceutical available, or at least the ones his doctor had recommended to absolutely no avail.

He also mentioned, that he had tried HBWR, and had little to no effect. But 3-10 of the MGs would totally relieve and defeat a migraine.

Soooooo, i too suffer from migraines, due to caffeine withdrawal, as well as post-sauna detox. And after reading his report a week or two ago, i decided to experiment. About a week ago, i had a migraine, ate 3 of my organic heiloom heavenly blue MGs....and voila, it was gone. It took about an hour to feel the relief begin, and another hour for it to be totally gone.

Again today, migraine, sauna fury this time lol....i ate 5 MGs at 6:30, and i feel 70% relief...and i can feel it getting better by the moment.

I'm not sure how other's migraines work, but mine, are generally unbeatable. through the years, i've had one that i could fend off through extreme water-intake and meditation alone....one out of a whole lot...and that was when i was younger with less back/neck pain (the vertebraeic disalignment seems catalytic to migraine intensity). For me, if i feel a migraine coming on, usually it's too late to fight it...i would rush to the coffee shop, and maybe, sometimes, if it was early enough of an onset, i could get it to back away. but normally, when the onset starts, it will incapacitate me for the night. overwhelming light and sound sensitivity, pounding pulsations, sometimes nausea/vertigo, etc. quite a beast to say the least.

I think i'll be trying a quarter hit of some strong LSD (~200ug per hit) next time one comes up, and see how that works. i remember when all the cluster headache psychedelic treatment came up, LSD and Psilocybin were the weapons of choice for those studying such treatment, while MG seems to have gone unnoticed by the medical world as a wholistic treatment.

Anyways, i'm exuberant about this organic medicine...:D anyone else have experience with migraine psychedelic treatments...??

good info!

not entirely surprising i guess because ergotamine is sometimes used as a migraine treatment, usually in conjunction with caffeine.

Red Ginseng does wonders for me when I'm trying to cut back on caffeine. If you have some before the headache sets in, it will never come. And we all know how intense caffeine withdrawal headaches can be. Ginseng has seriously been a godsend for me, a recent MDMA abuser who needs some healthy energy.

Check it out man, might help your headaches.

IDK about eating morning glory seeds for headaches though, I tried way too hard to trip back in the day and ate a shitload of those things mixed into yogurt. God the thought is making me gag. Cool if it works for you though man. Nature is the shit.

lol, 3-10 seeds though is far from nauseating....i used to eat 300-600 when i used them for psychedelic purposes.