• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Blindness/Vision Problems & Psychedelics Thread

I'd like to know what blind people 'see' on DMT, given the fact that this drug is primarily 'visual' (or beyond visual) in nature.
I think it would be far more interesting than the cliché of givinhg a blind man LSD, which generally only alters existing perceptions, rather than creating new ones.

i think if a blind person was taking acid and were blind from birth, they may not realize what colors are, and just think that what they are "seeing" would be a malfunction of another sense? just an idea...

on DMT

Now, that would be really interesting, what a blind person would/could "see" on DMT. Or Salvia or any other strongly visual substance. I would guess that a person blind from birth or shortly thereafter would not "see" anything since the visual area of their brain would be completely undeveloped? And if so, no color or other visual things could be perceived/decoded? Maybe, even if they could potentially experience "mind-visual" things, their brain would just filter them out as irrelevant noise, just as all our brains filter out things that are not considered "important for immediate survival" if you will. Besides being an amazing data processor, the brain is an equally amazing data filter in many ways.

C

good ole' pie chart

Good choice of words claviceps. IMO if you can picture your brain as a pie chart, I saw this somewhere but don't remember where so don't ask be to show proof. Your brain is a pie chart each sense and function is given a piece of that pie. Now your noodle is an efficient machine and if it knows that your vision is not being used it will divide that piece and give it to other functions. If born blind your brain will have hardly any energy put into your vision. If blind after birth there will be more but over time your mind will start using that area to do other things. So, if you are born blind and drop you would not see anything due to your low space allocation of visual receptors in the brain. If they take LSD and have not been blind since birth they would get a small amount of visuals. This would depend on the time they had vision and the amount of time they have been blind. Also you would need to take in the factor of time of site too. If I went blind at say 20 yrs I would have activity of my visual part of my brain and I would bet my memories would play a part more from someone going blind at say 2 yrs old at the same age I am. Just a guess and just ranting after a few brews.

But the v'visions' on DMT seem to be more than just visions, they are experiences! I'm willing to bet that DMT would provide a blind-from-birth subject no less of a profound experience than anyone else.

I agree

But, I think that their experance would not be the same as a seeing person.

Imagine how strong their hearing would be, on top of the effect that LSD and/or mushrooms can have on your hearing, I think it might freak them out or something, heh.

Yes, all other 4 sences would be even more hightened. Im gonna go hang around the blind school and find somone to trip with. ;)

claviceps welcome to Bluelight. Your posts are already insightful and helpful.

That collection is nice, looks like I have some reading to do.

I'm glad you liked my contribution and thanks for the welcome! This is a very interesting forum, I read a lot of very educated posts. Pretty neat :)

Yes, the Hofmann collection is amazing. Not everything is all that great, but you can search it for authors or keywords. Unfortunately all files are pdf files. For one they had to get through 4000+ documents relatively fast, but then there were also problems with dirt/smudges on pages, and on some the tape used to tape them into a book had turned brown, so OCR was not possible. There are programs that can turn pdf files into word files, but you still need to read and edit them, a giant project - fixing all those smudges and other errors.

Hopefully the collection will be of interest to many, especially since we currently seem to see a slight turn around adn some studies being finally allowed.

C

If a blind person where to trip...

i've done shrooms a few times and have hallucinated every time i have done it. closed eye visuals as well as open eyed visuals. in some closed eye visuals i'll see tons of colors and open eyed colors look absolutely amazing.

well i was thinking about it and say a color blind person or blind person in general were to trip on shrooms or acid or something what would their hallucinations be? if they had any at all that is which i think would happen. but i mean would they see color?

There is information on Erowid about acid allowing color blind folk to distinguish between colors they ordinarily cant tell apart. Go look in the acid vault there.

interesting thing to think about... or what about smoking dmt?

maybe they would be more likely to experience the universe as an energy source?

this reminds me of the movie 'the village', with the blind girl who is able to see people's 'colors' or aura's.

I used to get stoned with a blind guy (blind from birth) when I lived in a dorm at school. I asked him if he'd ever taken acid or anything like that, what it was like if he had.

He said he'd never taken hallucinogens, but even pot made things sound pretty fucked up to him. So he said aside from being mentally affected he thought he'd probably not be able to get around very well due ot hearing distortions and was scared to try it.

Since he had never been able to see in the first place, it wasn't like I could try to get him to relate what happened when high, and I was always paranoid about making him feel left out or subjugated... so I never really brought it up again.

i think someone who wasnt blind from birth but is now blind might have better trips then us, i mean how many trips have you been on where you close your eyes and it all melts away

what about if u were deaf, and took a drug that induces audiotorial(sp?) hallucinations. with nitrous i find that the main effect is the echoes.