• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Blindness/Vision Problems & Psychedelics Thread

Dreaming

I have never really wondered about drugs in blind people, but more about how the perceive dreams. Can they see in their dreams, do deaf people hear things in their dreams? And I have always wondered what it would be like to be born without sight, hearing, feeling, smell and taste, and without being able to produce any sounds(mute).

I have always wondered how they "see"the world, I`d think they`d create a world of their own, probably make up their own language to think in(or is language just a way to make yourself clear to others and are our thoughts in a universal language, because sometimes when i think I don`t really think in words, but in pictures, but seeing as the person would be blind...)

This is a topic that for me has to do with the power of the mind, would life be enjoyable without everything that seems so normal to us? Would the person think that he/she is all alone,or maybe have no clue as to what they are?What world they live in? I don`t know, these things keep me busy.

Oh yeah, maybe a bit off topic, but I saw something on Discovery Channel about a chip combined with an electronic eye that would allow people to see again, I`m just wondering if it actually already exists, or if it`s one of those Discovery "futuristic programs" where they talk about things that might happen in the future, but it always looks like they discovered it already.

thanks for your positive opinion about my question. And libido is a sexual desire, but from a psychic perspective.

And thanks, growthspurt for your interresting and information full contribution. A few weeks ago a made a report for filosofy about esthetica and I also discussed persons whose senses arn't working at all. So they can't hear, see, smell, feel and taste. But I don't know if there is a person on the world who is identical to the things I just mention.

I don't think that they are creating a world of their own, i'm sure they will do that, because they haven't got any senses at all (they can't sense the world like we do), so they can't do anything else then creating their own 'new' world. they are forced to do that.

Furthermore, when I try to look from their perspective, I can imagine that it would be a lonely world, because they haven't got anyone to share their experiences and perceptions and all the other things they 'touch' with feelings. So they have to be alone, for sofar I know, because they can't sense anyone ore thing. that's why the question of growthspurt is really interresting: What kind of world do they live in? It's sad that we proberly never know the answer, because we can't communicate with people who are senseless. But I'm currious about information about this subject, so if you have any, your welcome to post it here, Thank you

Last edited:
saw something on Discovery Channel about a chip combined with an electronic eye that would allow people to see again
i've heard about this too. if i remember well they already tried it. but the person has to have seen before, it can't have been born blind. and at this stage, it's far from perfect, it can only see big blurs.

Thanks for the links but I still don't know if people who are blind (from their birth) can see when they are on psychedelic's. Ore people who haven't seen for a long time. But thanks anyway.

thanks for sharing this interesting info with us, it helps me a lot.

ooops, i hadn't seen the next pages of results from the search
thanks

hmm, it must be really hard to get a grasp of what's actually going on in their heads, one could imagine and think they know, but you have to experience it for yourself to "know". it's just like trying to describe the psychedelic experience. you can make an attempt in explaining as much as possible, but you don't really find out untill you take it.

there has to be a brave bl'er out there that is willing to go blind and take some shrooms and report back!! :D

that's a very good question.

btw, what does your avatar mean vegan?

thanks for your positive opinion about my question. And libido is a sexual desire, but from a psychic perspective.

*giggles* ;)

time for a merge?

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but Aldous Huxley suffered an eye illness when he was 16 and remained nearly blind the rest of his life.

In that time he took mescaline and LSD several times (I'm not sure about mushrooms), and wrote two books about his experiences taking mescaline(Doors of Perception (1954) and Heaven and Hell (1956)).

I also ordered the book and I think in 2 weeks I will get it, but in the library they said the hole title of the book is 'The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell. But a friend of mine has it, and yes they are 2 books in one cover.

I didn't know he had a eye illness, that makes his book(s) more interesting for me, Thanks.

Last edited:
i'd say that this book is not really of interest for people already slightly experienced with psychedelics.
but it would be a good tool to make them accepted and understood by people who haven't tried any and who are prejudiced.

vegan said:
i'd say that this book is not really of interest for people already slightly experienced with psychedelics.
but it would be a good tool to make them accepted and understood by people who haven't tried any and who are prejudiced.

It think this book is interesting for everyone. For the people who are experienced with psychedelics are there more interested books, but thedoors ofperception is also a nice book to read.

Post from libido under arcaic revival account.

There were studies done way back when such studies where still possible in the land of the free. It was found that those with blindness since birth or for a very long time had no visuals at all. Those that had gone blind fairly recently did report visuals of somewhat declining clarity, depending on how long they were blind. They did report auditory and other sensual 'distortions' but I don't recall any of them liking the trip much.

You can find that article at erowid in the hofmann collection, just search for LSD and blind, that should bring it up.

I was actually sad when I read that, I had hoped that blind people might have some 'fake' visionary effects.

claviceps said:
There were studies done way back when such studies where still possible in the land of the free. It was found that those with blindness since birth or for a very long time had no visuals at all. Those that had gone blind fairly recently did report visuals of somewhat declining clarity, depending on how long they were blind. They did report auditory and other sensual 'distortions' but I don't recall any of them liking the trip much.

You can find that article at erowid in the hofmann collection, just search for LSD and blind, that should bring it up.

I was actually sad when I read that, I had hoped that blind people might have some 'fake' visionary effects.

this is also explained in some of the links given in this thread. blind people (since birth) have no perception of reality as we do, they build up their reality on things they hear, what they feel, what they think. they don't see things as we do, in fact, they don't see at all what is also the reason for having no visuals. how can you interpret visuals if you have no vision and only have an understanding of what the word means, simpel, you can't. a very interesting subject to say the least..

there's at least one article about LSD research with blind people in the Hofmann collection on Erowid. I don't have time right now, but if you search for the Hofmann collection and there use the browse > search function you should be able to find it. I just reviewed the article a while ago and will look for it too. I'll post the link once I find it.

BTW, that collection is a great wealth of information, over 4000 articles collected by Albert Hofmann over some 30 or so years. All on Erowid and also reachable via MAPS if I'm not mistaken.

C

thanks for the welcome, I just came across this nice site :)

Here's a link that should get you a page with 3 documents listed:

link

if that does not work, go here:

http://www.erowid.org/references/hofmann_collection.php

and use the browse hofmann collection link, do a search on blind. One report on totally blind humans, one on research with blind rats and one with monkeys. Interesting read!

c

mod's note: fixed link :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Off the topic but I've heard cases of people blinded at birth seeing during near death experiences. So would enough ketamine allow them to "see?"