• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Substituting loperamide for methadone

Methadonefucked

Greenlighter
I am in a really big bind related to methadone maintenance. There's a good chance I won't be able to go to the clinic anymore but I am on 160mg of methadone a day. I'm freaking the fuck out. Is it possible to substitute loperamide for that much methadone? Kratom is illegal in my state so I can't order that. I am obviously terrified

Loperamide can be very useful and safe to treat withdrawal, but it should NOT be used as a substitute for a maintenance drug.

Why are you afraid of getting kicked off methadone? Can you get on buprenorphine if you have to get off methadone?

Kratom can be a useful maintenance drug, but it won't be very effective until you're well into a detox from something like methadone.

No you can not replace it. You need to make sure you are not kicked off without attempting to ween. Without proper medical care the withdrawals can kill you from the dehydration itself. Be really careful here.

Edit: Usually I avoid recommending, but look up poppy seed tea. This has saved me from needing methadone although I only use 30 mg a day.

I'm not getting kicked off by the clinic it's my family and circumstance that is forcing me off. My engine blew on my car and I don't have anyone who can consistently give me a ride unfortunately. I was able to dose today so I started the process of tapering by dropping to 150mg but I don't think I can keep making that happen. What's a dose I can shoot for getting too where suboxone or loperamide will be able to make a significant difference? I don't want to die from opiate withdrawal but people are saying its a possibility at my dose :/

even the local rehab won't take me until I get below 70mg but that will take months.

Unless your using a short acting opioid like codeine or tramadol, it will probably uncomfortable transitioning to buprenorphine (or anything else) until you're down to 30-20mg. But it sounds like getting there will be really tough.

It's possible to die from abrupt cessation at your current dose, but it would be unlikely without something else going on. Now, c/t off your current dose would be incredibly uncomfortable though.

If getting to the clinic is not going to be possible much longer and you want to continue ORT, I'd suggest tapering as far as you can and then using codeine or tramadol and gabapentin, clonidine and diazepam to switch to buprenorphine. If you can get down to a lower dosage of methadone prior to making any transition the comfort meds won't be as necessary (although it's still suggested).

But other than buprenorphine, in terms of non-prescription things you can use to help, you basically have your pick of poppy seed/pod tea or kratom.

I'm not going to shoot it.

i was able to get a ride to dose today so the pain is put off a little while longer. My plan right now is too start at 50mg of lope and see how I feel. I'm going to try and get on suboxone if I can but after doing a lot of reading it doesn't seem there is any guarantee it will work either.

If you are in that big of a pinch you should start tapering now and save your extra for a rainy day. If you don't think you can control yourself with the extras maybe give it to a family member or trusted friend to hold.

I'm sure you know already but I'm going to mention it anyway. High doses of loperamide are dangerous. People have died from cardio issues do to loperamide toxicity. Be safe and good luck, sorry about your situation.

I know about the toxicity but shit opiates are dangerous you know? People on another forum told me I very well may die from withdrawal if I stop at this dose. Honestly I would rather die from prolonged qt then dehydration or however withdrawal kills. It's a fucking terrible situation that's for sure.

Do you have an emergency room near by? If so I would imagine they could combat the dehydration if it came to that. Not sure what they could do about a lope overdose if anything at all.

Just a few questions.

Have you been abusing your methadone?

I am trying to figure out why your family is up your ass about it, besides possibly cost of maintaining your methadone.

From wherever you stay to the clinic, is the distance so far that you cannot get there any other way?

I don't know how this would work, or if a hospital even offers it by you, but Methadone is a NMDA receptor antagonist. Ketamine is also a NMDA receptor antagonist.

Ketamine is used in a medical setting for chronic pain patients and depressed folks as well.

Part of Ketamines method of action, resets pain receptors in your brain. If it is offered by you, that might be an option.

I'd read Loperamide mega threads before starting it as a taper.

Also read any methadone threads and see what may help.

Even if you have to make a deal with family, try to taper your dose as best you can.

As always, YMMV.

Speed king not everyone is lucky enough to get on ketamine. I doubt someone struggling to get in methadone wouldn't struggle more with k. That being said lope dangers are not the same as opiate dangers even though it exists, but it's qt prolongation risks and cardiotoxic problems. You will literally be slowly poisoning yourself to death.

^^ taco, I merely pointed it out as a possible option. Btw, Ketamines effects last long after a hospital I.V Infusion is completed. I don't use any opiate/opioid pain releavers anymore since using I.V Ketamine infusions.

It was worth mentioning it !

Just don't unafraid under shadow the difficulty of obtaining it is my suggestion.

Just a few questions.

Have you been abusing your methadone?

I am trying to figure out why your family is up your ass about it, besides possibly cost of maintaining your methadone.

From wherever you stay to the clinic, is the distance so far that you cannot get there any other way?

I don't know how this would work, or if a hospital even offers it by you, but Methadone is a NMDA receptor antagonist. Ketamine is also a NMDA receptor antagonist.

Ketamine is used in a medical setting for chronic pain patients and depressed folks as well.

Part of Ketamines method of action, resets pain receptors in your brain. If it is offered by you, that might be an option.

I'd read Loperamide mega threads before starting it as a taper.

Also read any methadone threads and see what may help.

Even if you have to make a deal with family, try to taper your dose as best you can.

As always, YMMV.

i had a nasty relapse with cocaine and benzos that ended with my car getting fucked up and me arrested. There pissed off and never really supported me getting on methadone to begin with. Plus it's 75 miles round trip to the clinic and they work full time so it is legitimately hard for them. I got them to commit to at least let me taper for a week or 2. I'm hoping I can stretch it out long enough to start getting take homes and maybe not be totally fucked. I mean it's my own dumbass fault I'm in this position I'm just hoping I can make them see reason so I don't have to do anything drastic.

I understand now your predicament. Hopefully, your doctor(s) can understand your issue and help you out.

Fuck, I feel for you. That's quite a distance, definitely not realistic to walk, probably not even bicycle there, unless you want to dedicate your whole day to dosing. My advice would be to start saving Methadone now. If you have take homes start pouring at least a 1/3 out of every one into a larger bottle for when you quit the clinic. Or just check your dose and spit out 1/2 to 1/3 into a bottle. You won't regret having that extra m'done to wean with, trust me. It'll make a world of difference. Get Gabapentin, they are not hard to find, and people usually practically give them away. Doctors will throw them at you too. Get Advil/PM and Benadryl for sleeping. Hydroxyzine works well. And you should really acquire some sort of benzo. I suggest ordering Kratom online, that shit can really make the biggest difference, it's fucking crazy. Maybe stock up on Clonidine (keeps your blood pressure low, so you're out of it, and can sort of sleep). Phenibut maybe?