• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone/Buprenorphine FAQ & Megathread v3; 2010 - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey. I've been using opiates for 6 years, and heroin for about 3 maybe 4. For the most part, I always stuck to the rules I set for myself and have never done enough to suffer through the physical withdrawals. the past year and a half to two years ive used on average 2-3 times a week, and mostly always saved for social situations where I get anxiety like at school etc. I never tried to get fucked up, only use enough to get rid of anxiety so I can function normally. benzos just dont take away the anxiety enough unless i get fucked up on them. and going to school i cant have something messing with my memory.

i used 6/7 days last week for the first time and am really pissed at myself, but im getting bad cravings and cant concentrate on my school work.

So i'm wondering if this is a situation where I can be prescribed suboxone. I'm not trying to taper and get off opiates, I just want something that is legal and will stop me from doing heroin. But I think about it and would I be told to take it every day or only in the situations I used heroin? kinda makes me think im fucked and they wouldnt prescribe me it.

also ive tried suboxone a couple times and it does work for my anxiety, but id be curious if it would stop when taking the same dose every day. since even small doses of opiates seems to be enough for me.

also also do you think being prescribed suboxone would affect being hired for a good job?

To be honest with you, It isn't easy to get on Suboxone. At least where I live, I remember a little over a year ago when I was calling various Sub Clinics seeing if they had any spots open and there was a ridiculously long wait time for every single one of them. Anywhere from 30 - 40 patients waiting to get in if I remember correctly. Also Suboxone doctors are only allowed a certain number of patients and I'm not sure how high a "recreational user" that has not and is not going through W/D would be on there priority list. Again, just being honest...I remember when I was in detox even someone from the facility, No idea who he was brought in a room and interrogated me on my motives for being there. Now, with that being said.. If you feel like your using is getting out of control and is becoming a problem then by all means Yes I encourage to seek help and get ahead of that monster before it gets to the point that you have W/D and cannot control it. To answer your last question, In my personal experience the majority of work places do not test for Suboxone. Hope I was able to help in some way and Good Luck with everything. I'm rooting for you!

Hello - I have joined today and have no idea how to use this site, however, simply wanted some basic info re: subutex/codeine
Having battled with a codeine addiction for 5 or more years, with several hospital and rehab stints, I was eventually prescribed subutex by my psychiatrist. We started on 1 8mg tab and had to increase the following day to 20mg due to WD. I was an inpatient at the time. Im now down to between 2-6mg depending on how I crave. although I did try a day with none and nothing happened, although the following day i really started to feel it.

My questions are these: ive been on Sub for 63 days now. if I jump off now will it hurt?
My psych would like to see me use subutex long term in order to save my liver (I was CWE my pills) and to stop my life style around getting hold of codeine and taking it in large quantities.....

Can anyone just give me there opinions please...
Plus, sorry if this is in the wrong area

^Wow that is a very high dose for a codeine habit! Yes, if you jump from that dose you will experience wd! Sub WD isn't as intense as full agonist WD, however its duration is a lot longer, it last weeks, sometimes a month or so. People usually jump from sub around the .125mg range.. Sometimes .0625mg, we're talking micrograms.

^Wow that is a very high dose for a codeine habit! Yes, if you jump from that dose you will experience wd! Sub WD isn't as intense as full agonist WD, however its duration is a lot longer, it last weeks, sometimes a month or so. People usually jump from sub around the .125mg range.. Sometimes .0625mg, we're talking micrograms.

This
Codeine has a ceiling of about 500mg, that would convert to around 1-2mg buprenorphine so 20mg is a ridiculous high dose for you...

To be honest with you, It isn't easy to get on Suboxone. At least where I live, I remember a little over a year ago when I was calling various Sub Clinics seeing if they had any spots open and there was a ridiculously long wait time for every single one of them. Anywhere from 30 - 40 patients waiting to get in if I remember correctly. Also Suboxone doctors are only allowed a certain number of patients and I'm not sure how high a "recreational user" that has not and is not going through W/D would be on there priority list. Again, just being honest...I remember when I was in detox even someone from the facility, No idea who he was brought in a room and interrogated me on my motives for being there. Now, with that being said.. If you feel like your using is getting out of control and is becoming a problem then by all means Yes I encourage to seek help and get ahead of that monster before it gets to the point that you have W/D and cannot control it. To answer your last question, In my personal experience the majority of work places do not test for Suboxone. Hope I was able to help in some way and Good Luck with everything. I'm rooting for you!

thanks for the response man

Sub Withdrawal can be certainly intense as fuck dude....

and I know for a FACT there is no WAY hell that "people" usually jump at .125mg or .0625.... lol ; how did u come up with that ??

[how would you accurately dose .125mg or .0625; just curious i know theres a way but i forgot how its done.....]

Maybe your thinking of a few smart people on BL who jumped at that dose; but 99% of ppl who quit sub no chance....

its fucked up how a majority DRS have people quit at 2mg just because thats the lowest pill it comes in.....

i just went to detox for 5 days and they told me i had to leave after i received my last dose of 2mg sub with a fucking 10 minute notice;

fucking assholes....

Last edited:
Sub Withdrawal can be certainly intense as fuck dude...
Yes it can be, but normally it's not intense as say methadone or heroin wd.
and I know for a FACT there is no WAY hell that "people" usually jump at .125mg or .0625.... lol ; how did u come up with that ??
I didn't come up with it.. that's where you should jump from.

[how would you accurately dose .125mg or .0625; just curious i know theres a way but i forgot how its done.....]
Like this
hqdefault.jpg

I guess you worded it wrong and I got confused at what you were saying because you said pp "usually jump" ....

I was saying most don't jump at that level and yea they should if possible I agree;

however for those without access to film to cut or a way to accurately measure stopping at every other day or 3rd day at .5mg is doable...

Do we know if the strips have an equal distribution of bupe on the surface though?

If you have the pills you can make even piles, and yes the strips are evenly distributed.

I wanted to add on that if we take a more broad scope we might understand, I believe there's a bunch of threads like this and don't mean to bump it, except to point out that I'm in the situation as same as the thread talks about doing sub on maintenance at low doses, typically have found less blocking
1) after 6-12 hours avg.
2) when using a strong fast acting Full agonist

So perhaps the sub will not actually saturate your receptors or if you feel withdrawl, then you must have some empty receptors. If most prior experiences match then if I was out of sub, a few days in a row it is worthwhile to note my avg daily dose is closer to 4 MG at 2*2/day so it makes sense that if I dose sub in the morning and after noon then I'd certainly be okay re-dosing with something quick acting although only with a knowledge that more time is equivalent to more feelings (both withdrawl before and feeling well after TIME)
Fairly regular understanding of how drugs are metabolized not ignored, with respect to mu activation.

Yup.. 12 hours was usually the point, after taking only 1-2mg of bupe in the morning, where I could totally feel something like oxy, dilaudid or especially good heroin or opana! The stronger the opioid was, the more I would feel obviously, after dosing sub earlier that day.. I also IV my sub, so that too, knocks the half life down a lot compared to sublingual.. I could easily do any of those opioids/opiates I mentioned above after shooting like 1-2mg of sub in the morning, then doing dope 6-12 hours later.. no blocking effect whatsoever.. that is one thing that I kind of liked about being on low doses of sub, was being able to feel full agonists in a matter of 6 hours later.. I also didn't like it at the same time, because it caused me to keep fucking up, and not sticking with my subs... since then, I have gone back up to 8mg a day of subutex, and haven't done opiates since, like in over a year..

My way of reasoning in case of precipitated withdrawal would be to take more buprenorphine and not take heroin or whatever opioid you've been taking (the main and real risk is overdosing because depending on how much buprenorphine you took, the amount of heroin that will give you an effect will drastically differ, e.g. it is certainly much easier to break through 1-2mg than through 8mg or more, the extent of blockade provided by higher doses is much bigger than one might guess judging by the perceivable difference in partial agonistic effects from 1-2mg vs. 8 mg! if you try to break through with heroin by taking more and more, and more, at some point you suddenly do break through and at the same time overdose), but that's also not a universal solution, depending on the size of your habit, i.e. how much you take per dose, more buprenorphine might at some point either start producing real opioid effects or force more full agonist out of receptors and not cover for the withdrawal even at the ceiling dose.

Is there anyone who actually decided to take more buprenorphine instead of trying to break through with heroin? If 1mg of buprenorphine is enough to produce precipitated withdrawal, then there should be a dose before the ceiling dose that should start easing the pain instead of giving you more of it.

Do not take this as advice though, it is impossible to judge whether more buprenorphine would help you or not. To be on the safest side would be to simply wait long enough.
I know this post is old but yes i have taken subs to early and knocked myself into pw and it was by injection so i went from feeling crappy in slight withdrawl to 48hours in 2 seconds. It felt like a cold blanket wrapping around me and instantly i knew what i had just caused. Anyways i reluctantly took more sub, and it subsided. So it was a total of 8mg one strip. The 4mg that jumped me into pw and the 4mg that brought me out. I have been in pw before and didn't tey to take more sub and stupuidly went and wasted money on roxy and felt nothing absolutely no relief. So everyone is different nd what works for someone may not work for somebody else. I understand that. I just thought i would share my experience. Best of luck to everyone fighting the fight.

Both more sub and taking a different opioid will work.
But the risk of od is too high with taking a different opioid, because of its lowered efficacy.
Making more buprenorphine the medical community's go to protocol for pwd..

Been on sub for over 5 years. For the last 2 years only .8mg a day. Yes I meant .8mg. One strip last me 10 days. I'm sick of being dependent on this shit. I don't use anything else. I want to be clean for the first time in 20 years. I tried to go cold. After 2.5 weeks I couldn't deal with it, I gave up and started my dosage again. I had vacation time for work and I tried to do a 28 day impatient to get off suboxone and they actually told me I didn't do enough drugs to be eligible for rehab!! WTF! So I wanted to know tips, advice, is their anyone out there who has conquered this completely. Without becoming dependent on something else? What's this vivitrol about? Would that work? If you took the time to read all this and offer up some advice then your amazing and thank you!!

Been on sub for over 5 years. For the last 2 years only .8mg a day. Yes I meant .8mg. One strip last me 10 days. I'm sick of being dependent on this shit. I don't use anything else. I want to be clean for the first time in 20 years. I tried to go cold. After 2.5 weeks I couldn't deal with it, I gave up and started my dosage again. I had vacation time for work and I tried to do a 28 day impatient to get off suboxone and they actually told me I didn't do enough drugs to be eligible for rehab!! WTF! So I wanted to know tips, advice, is their anyone out there who has conquered this completely. Without becoming dependent on something else? What's this vivitrol about? Would that work? If you took the time to read all this and offer up some advice then your amazing and thank you!!

I was on suboxone for about 2 years. I started at 16mg per day and immediately tapered to 8mg per day. Over the two years I got down to 2mg per day. The last few months I tapered really low. At the very end I was just taking tiny crumbs of the 8mg pills a couple times a day via insufflation. I think my last 8mg pill lasted for two to three weeks.

Jumping off at such a tiny dose wasn't hard for me. It was much easier than jumping at 1mg per day, which I had tried to do earlier but couldn't tough it out.

My point is that maybe you can try tapering lower than you already have. I know it's a pain but you could cut each strip even smaller than you already are.

The vivitrol shot is mostly for people determined to stop (or people who are being forced to stop). If taken, it will prevent you from getting high from any opiates/opioids. You would still have to quit taking suboxone first and you would still have to endure withdrawals. Vivitrol is only useful to help keep you from using... It isn't going to help you through the pain of stopping. Besides, many people complain of side effects from vivitrol. In my opinion, it is really only designed for people who are absolutely desperate to stop but are unable to by any other means.

You can do this! Stopping suboxone sucks. I know... I remember. The thing that helped me the most was tapering as low as possible first. Once I quit, I kept myself as busy and occupied as possible. It was hardest for me when I had nothing to do because I just sat around thinking about how shitty I felt. When I kept myself busy I was able to distract myself from the shittyness. It took several weeks to get back to normal... But by staying busy I got through it.

Found a way to help my depression while on Suboxone or subutex: I have been on suboxone and now subutex for about 14 months now, and have tried a few things to help my depression without any luck. So decided to try ephedrine, and Wa-lah it has worked wonders.! I know it is difficult to get these days, but you can get it at Walmart or Walgreens by asking the pharmacist for primatene tablets. Primatene tablets have 12.5 mg of ephedrine, and 200mg of guaifenesin. They come in a box of 60 tablets. All you need is two tablets a day. I hope this helps some people, cause I have been trying to find something cheap to help with my depression for awhile now. Cheers, and good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.