• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone/Buprenorphine FAQ & Megathread v.4 The Orangeman Cometh

deficiT

Sr. Moderator: NSADD, DC, & TDS
Staff member
Old Thread Here

What: Suboxone = buprenorphine/naloxone. Bupe is a partial agonist(mu) and antagonist(kappa). Bupe has higher mu affinity that most opiates, including some antagonists(naloxone, naltrexone). Its higher affinity allows you to shoot suboxone tablets. It also may cause precipitated withdrawals if you are dependant on other opiates. Also, its higher affinity blocks the affects of other opiates when taken in conjunction with bupe.

Dose: Depends on tolerance. 1-2mgs is a typical recreational dose for someone with no tolerance. If you're using bupe to taper off of another opiate, you should dose once you're experiencing wd's(typically 36-48 hrs. for most opiates). Start with 2-4mgs and dose at 2mg increments every 30-45minutes until a dose holds you. Most people take their full dose once a day.

Withdrawal: Typical physical and psychological symptoms associated with opiate withdrawal. Insomnia, chills, diarrhea, depression, anxiety, lacrimation, sweating, increased heart rate, etc. They are not as strong as a full agonist's symptoms, but may last longer. Physical symptoms last 1-2 weeks on average and psychological symptoms may last months.

As most opiates, it's recommended to taper down to the lowest dose possible before stopping. <1mg is ideal. The best way to dose at that level is to crush up a tablet and divide the powder into lower doses.

Ceiling: 24-32mgs

Bioavailability:
jasoncrest said:
Buprenorphine bioavailabilities:

intraduodenal: 9.7%

intrahepatoportal: 49%

intramuscular: 68%

"The observed mean intramuscular bioavailability was 68%"
"Studies of buprenorphine bioavailability have also examined the intramuscular (bioavailability, 50%–100%)"

intranasal: 50%
"Studies of buprenorphine bioavailability have also examined the [...] intranasal (bioavailability, 48%)
"The bioavailability of buprenorphine, HCl (BPP) in sheep after nasal administration of two formulations has been studied. 0.9 mg BPP in 150 microl was administered nasally and compared to 0.6 mg i.v. The test solutions were formulated with 30% polyethylene glycol 300 (PEG 300) and 5% dextrose, respectively. The bioavailability for PEG 300 was 70% (S.D.+/-27%, n=6), whereas the bioavailability for 5% dextrose was 89% (S.D.+/-23%, n=6)."
"Mean intranasal bioavailability was 48.2 +/- 8.35% (mean +/- s.e.m.) of the intravenous value"

intrarectal: 54%
"bioavailability of the drug was found to be: [... ]intrarectal (54%)..."
"Relative to the 100% bioavailability from the intraarterial route the mean bioavailabilities were [...] intrarectal, 54%..."

intravenous: 98%-100%

oral: 10%

"the oral bioavailability for buprenorphine is state to be 10%"
"due to extensive first-pass metabolism, buprenorphine has very poor oral bioavailability (10% of the intravenous route) if swallowed"

sublingual: ~30%
"Buprenorphine is well absorbed sublingually, with 60% to 70% of the bioavailability of intravenous doses"
"Study results indicate that bioavailability of sublingual buprenorphine is approximately 30%"
"Literature on bioavailability of sublingual buprenorphine presents variable numbers ranging from. 19–58% of the administered dose."

"Relative to the 100% bioavailability from the intraarterial route the mean bioavailabilities were [...] sublingual, 13%"

transdermal: 15%

Other Notes:
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How long after my last bupe dose can I take an opiate and feel its effects?
A: It depends on what dose of bupe you were taking and how long. The short answer is 36-48 hours, though it may certainly be less, or more than that. Caution should be used when dosing, as you will still have a tolerance but it will not be as high as it was when you first got on bupe.

Q: I'm thinking about switching from methadone to bupe. At what methadone dose should I be when I switch?
A: Most places recommend being at 30-40mgs of methadone when switching. That may be hard to achieve since that level is lower than the recommended therapeutic maintenance level. Also, you'd have to wait at the very least 36-48 hours before your last methadone dose to switch in order to avoid precipitated withdrawal.

Q: Is bupe good for depression/anxiety?
A: Yes, it may help with depression and anxiety. It is not currently prescribed for either and its effectiveness has not been studied for long term use for either. You may be able to get it prescribed off label for depression/anxiety, but its not likely to happen. Here is an article on PubMed about a study on bupe being used to treat depression.

Q: Is bupe recreational?
A: Yes. Although it is rarely the preferred opiate for people who have experience with full agonists, a few people do prefer it to full agonists (i.e. morphine).

Q: Can you overdose on buprenorphine?
A: Yes you can, but typically not by itself. Buprenorphine causes respiratory depression which may lead to death, but typically wouldn't do so in a healthy individual, unless you combined other CNS depressants with buprenorphine, like benzodiazepines, alcohol, barbiturates, and other downers. The person most likely to OD on bupe has a low(if any) tolerance to opiates and may have taken another depressant. A buprenorphine overdose may not be reversed by naloxone(or naltrexone for that matter) due to bupe's higher affinity. Diprenorphine may reverse the overdose, but it is not regularly stocked by emergency personnel or hospitals. If a proper antagonist isn't available, the person suffering an overdose may be maintained with assisted respiration.

Q: Can I still get high on other opiates if I'm on bupe?
A: This depends on what dose of bupe you're on. You will most likely be able to shoot through a low dose of bupe (1-2mgs). Though some might be able to expect the full effects of the opiate you're shooting through with, it is often only partially felt for many people. Even at higher doses, if you take enough of the opiate you may feel it. This is not recommended, as you may overdose before reaching the desired recreational effects. It is better to wait until bupe is no longer effecting you, or to stick the course with bupe treatment.

Q: How come you can IV Suboxone? Isn't naloxone going to put you into withdrawal?
A: No, naloxone will not put you into withdrawal. If you are using heroin or a full agonist, and then use Suboxone, you will go into precipitated withdrawal if you don't wait for regular withdrawal first. If you are otherwise already on buprenorphine, IVing Suboxone will not put you into withdrawal. This is because buprenorphine has greater receptor affinity than naloxone does
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=541906
. There is no functional reason why naloxone is in Suboxone, and for all intensive purposes, Suboxone and Subutex are the same thing - both can be used with any route of administration.

Q: Is Suboxone safe to IV?
A: In essence, you should not shoot Suboxone. Unless you have enough patience and money to afford and use micron filters, Suboxone or Subutex, like any other pill, has risks when IVing. Missing a shot of Suboxone or Subutex may be more detrimental to your health, when compared to shooting out of a sterile ampule, or pure drugs in sterile water. Please read up on injection complications regarding pill based drugs, like Subutex, in the Case Studies thread. It is better, if you are truly intending on IVing buprenorphine (outside of the ampule version Buprenex), to read up on my Micron Filtering Mega Thread and FAQ and then purchase the necessary supplies to help enable a safer shooting experience for yourself.

Q: How good is bupe as an analgesic? What are the pain-killing properties like in comparison to other opiates?
A: This may vary from individual to individual, but what I can say for the average person, you will probably find that it is about half as good feasibly speaking as an analgesic (pain-killing) medication, compared to an equipotent dose of heroin, morphine, oxycodone, and so on. I have talked to several people who are pain patients, and they have a general consensus that while full agonist opiates are much better in the pain killing department, buprenorphine does help considerably when taking off the edge in mild to somewhat moderate pain cases. For people with moderate to heavy or severe pain issues, buprenorphine can do but only so much.

Q: If I am a pain patient, can I utilize buprenorphine?
A: Yes, it is possible. It will be most likely you will combine a compatible drug, like tramadol with it. However if you are going to combine full agonist opiates like morphine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, heroin, and so on, you are probably going to want to take a dose of buprenorphine first, and then once the effects are going, you can use other full agonist opiates on top of buprenorphine. However, you can't take another dose of buprenorphine until the full agonists have left your system. This is why if you're already dependent on full agonist opiates, it's better not to use buprenorphine as well (as you may go into precipitated withdrawal). If you have mild to moderate pain at best, and it flares up sometimes but doesn't at others, then you may be able to combine both buprenorphine and a full agonist on the days you need to, and then on the days you don't, you can stick to strictly buprenorphine.

Suboxone Mega Thread Directory - Other links about buprenorphine in Other Drugs

Alcohol and Suboxone - Alcoholic Solutions for Higher BA With Sublingual Use**
Buprenex - should I IM or IV?
Buprenorphine and Antihistamine IV FAQ
Buprenorphine as a recreational drug?
Buprenorphine dosages commonly prescribed are unnecessarily high
Buprenorphine for depression?
Buprenorphine patches
Buprenorphine withdrawals?
Ketoconazole Potenation of Suboxone
Mephedrone and Buprenorphine
Micron Filtering Mega Thread and FAQ - How to Micron Filter Suboxone
Nasal Administration of Suboxone - Issues
Rectal (Plugging) Buprenorphine
Suboxone in place of Naloxone in the event of an opiate overdose*
Suboxone sublingual film official thread
Subutex has gone generic
Tramadol and Suboxone

Discussion in the Suboxone mega thread goes along quite quickly, so we have a few other threads to promote intermediate/advanced discussion of buprenorphine and its formulations. These threads are meant to divert some of the more advanced discussion that otherwise becomes buried in the mega thread.

If there's another link you think which would go well in this list of related buprenorphine threads, please let me know. We're trying to reserve extra threads on buprenorphine for more intermediary/advanced discussion mostly to reserve the mega thread for a place for questions that can be answered quickly, and the other threads for a place for questions which will otherwise not get the same discussion going on in the mega thread, due to its quick pace.

If you have an idea for a new thread on buprenorphine, it's probably best to figure out by talking to a moderator first to see if it's thread worthy or should be discussed in the mega thread.

*Not Advised. Opiate antagonists are the only safe thing to do in case of an opiate overdose. Please do not give people Suboxone if they have overdosed.
**also known as "6/7's method" or "SixPartSeven's method"

Thank you for all your hard work over the years compiling this information... RIP Captain.Heroin

w/ love
- @deficiT

I went ahead and consolidated a lot of the existing threads as there were just dozens of them over the years and I wanted to shrink the size of the directory, so instead of 15 or whatever I brought it down to a manageable 3, and opened V.4 starting here.

Thanks to all of my predecessors, in particular CH, for all of the work put into compiling this information about this useful substance that has saved so many peoples lives and assisted so many in their recovery from opioid addiction.

Week two of zubsolv starts today. Still going smoothly, been taking it as prescribed, 5.7mg 2x a day. I used to just dose mg 16mg Suboxone all at once, but I'm hoping that dosing twice just gets me more coverage throughout the days instead of just having one large more strong dose.

Hi, I know I'm in the wrong forum but there aren't many people on. I have been off Fetty for almost 4 days. I drink and in going through alcohol withdrawal. Would Suboxone help with the alcohol withdrawals? Please help

I've been on 8mg Suboxone for almost 6 months. My Dr. asked me to try lowering the dose. I don't intend to quit and still feel good on the current dose. I would like to get to 4mg and stay there for life. This morning I made my first cut. Just a 1/2 mg. I would like to hear from somebody with the experience. Someone who has already been through this process. How long (approximately) should I wait before increasing the tapering to 1mg? Without having withdrawal symptoms like depression or insomnia. 🤔

Hi, I know I'm in the wrong forum but there aren't many people on. I have been off Fetty for almost 4 days. I drink and in going through alcohol withdrawal. Would Suboxone help with the alcohol withdrawals? Please help
It won't help with seizures shakes, or anxiety. How severe is your situation?

It won't alleviate the alcohol withdrawals completely but could bring you some comfort. Suboxone helped me immensely when I was going through severe benzo withdrawal. Just as long as you're far enough removed from opioid use which is sounds like you are.

If you are able I would cut .5 mg every two weeks. shouldn't even notice it really.
Unfortunately I am not. After just 3 days I quit tapering. Headache was so intense and I don't have anything to ease the pain. As I quit oxy and codeine all that is available is paracetamol and ibuprofen. Which is a joke. Maybe is 8mg a perfect dose for me? I'll talk to my Dr. but I know that he will suggest Sublocade, which is out of question. I prefer to have control over my life but when you get an injection you are helpless for the next 30 days.

Unfortunately I am not. After just 3 days I quit tapering. Headache was so intense and I don't have anything to ease the pain. As I quit oxy and codeine all that is available is paracetamol and ibuprofen. Which is a joke. Maybe is 8mg a perfect dose for me? I'll talk to my Dr. but I know that he will suggest Sublocade, which is out of question. I prefer to have control over my life but when you get an injection you are helpless for the next 30 days.
Hey man, I have been through it, and I cut down from 16mg to nothing in the period of a month or so maybe. And I was on it for a similar amount of time, in fact I have done that at least twice now. I never experienced crippling headaches or any issues and I never dropped in as small of amounts as just .5mg, but that is just my experience.

If you really aren't ready to come off it, or off of that dose, there is no reason you should have to or that your doctor should be making you. If your doctor is insisting maybe you ought to find a new one, because that's not fair to you.

Hey man, I have been through it, and I cut down from 16mg to nothing in the period of a month or so maybe. And I was on it for a similar amount of time, in fact I have done that at least twice now. I never experienced crippling headaches or any issues and I never dropped in as small of amounts as just .5mg, but that is just my experience.

If you really aren't ready to come off it, or off of that dose, there is no reason you should have to or that your doctor should be making you. If your doctor is insisting maybe you ought to find a new one, because that's not fair to you.
Thanks mate. That's exactly what I think. My Dr. is really a good guy and he won't force me to tapper it down if I'm not ready. But I will give it a try one more time when I feel that I can do it. I'm not in a hurry and most of my problems have gone away. I am more than happy to feel like this until the end of my life. Small side effects like a constipation are easily managed. Thanks for the advice mate. ✌️

If you are able I would cut .5 mg every two weeks. shouldn't even notice it really.
I will give it a one more try when I feel ready. First I have to figure out is the headache results of my tapering or is it something else? I have a long history of the sinuses problems so it's maybe it? Anyway, "don't fix something that is not broken" is still my favourite. All the best mate. ✌️

Thanks mate. That's exactly what I think. My Dr. is really a good guy and he won't force me to tapper it down if I'm not ready. But I will give it a try one more time when I feel that I can do it. I'm not in a hurry and most of my problems have gone away. I am more than happy to feel like this until the end of my life. Small side effects like a constipation are easily managed. Thanks for the advice mate. ✌️
Anytime. Yeah I've dealt with the constipation in a super terrible way, I get it really bad. My regular doc prescribed myralax, but I've heard some bad stuff regarding potential toxicity of that medicine, so I'm now wary to take it daily. But I basically have to have something for it. Otherwise it gets... Ugly.

So I've got some senna and milk of magnesia as well, I'm gonna see how those work out for me.

Anytime. Yeah I've dealt with the constipation in a super terrible way, I get it really bad. My regular doc prescribed myralax, but I've heard some bad stuff regarding potential toxicity of that medicine, so I'm now wary to take it daily. But I basically have to have something for it. Otherwise it gets... Ugly.

So I've got some senna and milk of magnesia as well, I'm gonna see how those work out for me.
Soak 5-6 pitted prunes in a glass of water. Just enough to cover them. Leave it all day and in the evening eat the prunes and drink the water(which will turn into juice) Do it regularly and see does it help?

Soak 5-6 pitted prunes in a glass of water. Just enough to cover them. Leave it all day and in the evening eat the prunes and drink the water(which will turn into juice) Do it regularly and see does it help?
Yeah prune juice was next up on the list of things to try, thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah prune juice was next up on the list of things to try, thanks for the suggestion.
Don't buy the juice in the supermarket. It's not pure and doesn't have enough fibre. Soaked pitted prunes are much more effective, healthier and cheaper. Just put them in glass and cover with water. (In the morning). In the evening eat the prunes and drink remaining water. That's all. Try to do it on the regular basis. I was on oxy and codeine for more than 10 years and this stuff made my life easier. Stool softeners from the pharmacy didn't work at all.

Hey, I'm curious what you've heard about mirilax?
I too had it prescribed for dealing with the constipation of subs. But I quit taking it after a year or two cause I felt subconsciously that there probably was something toxic about it & now I see your comment here.

We don't have that in Australia, but I use something similar called Movicol. It's a stool softener. It comes in little satchets which you mix with water and take 3-4 times per day. Sometimes it's work after the day 1,but usually you have to take it for a 3-4 days. If its an emergency and nothing else works I use Dulcolax. It's a bullet shaped piece of vax(or something similar) which you have to put down there. It's not a pleasant feeling but it works within 30 minutes.

Last edited:
It won't help with seizures shakes, or anxiety. How severe is your situation?
It helped me a lot getting off the sauce, till I got tolerance and hit the bottle again. Just be careful… alcohol withdrawal can be deadly…

Couple tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil for a few days really helped me out.