• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone/Buprenorphine FAQ and Megathread v.1; 2007 - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this problem with Fentanyl patches and then redosing my suboxone once I'm done with the fent. This last time, I waited for 48 hours to take my sub after wearing 100mcg patch for 3 days and then smoking the gel. I thought I was in the clear, even though I was not going through moderate wd (just minor sniffles) I took 2mg of suboxone and within an hour, I was in moderate precip wd. It's now been 80 hours after taking the patch off (yesterday was the day I put myself into precip. wd. Now I'm wondering if I'm safe. Should I dose? I feel okay, just sluggish and a stuffy nose and get chills easily in a breeze. Fuck, I just can't time this right. I guess it doesn't matter now since this is my last hurrah with opiates and then I'm off. Off the subs eventually, too. But what's up with that? 48 hours? Does it have to do with wearing the patch?

I've had this problem with Fentanyl patches and then redosing my suboxone once I'm done with the fent. This last time, I waited for 48 hours to take my sub after wearing 100mcg patch for 3 days and then smoking the gel. I thought I was in the clear, even though I was not going through moderate wd (just minor sniffles) I took 2mg of suboxone and within an hour, I was in moderate precip wd. It's now been 80 hours after taking the patch off (yesterday was the day I put myself into precip. wd. Now I'm wondering if I'm safe. Should I dose? I feel okay, just sluggish and a stuffy nose and get chills easily in a breeze. Fuck, I just can't time this right. I guess it doesn't matter now since this is my last hurrah with opiates and then I'm off. Off the subs eventually, too. But what's up with that? 48 hours? Does it have to do with wearing the patch?

Yes I think it does have something to do with the fact that it's a patch - it takes a few hours for the drug to work its way through your epidermis into the blood stream - so once you take it off, I do believe you still have a good few hours worth of fentanyl that's still in your skin about to get through to the blood stream.

I might be wrong about that; I have never used a drug transdermally (unless sticking a blotter on the tongue is transdermal - I consider it sublingual/oral to be honest).

If you were in precipitated WD's yesterday, and feel like you have mild/moderate WD symptoms, today might be an OK day to dose. I would try a very small amount, somewhere under 1mg (like 0.5mg, for example) so that if you do go back to precipitated WD's they're only going to be but so bad. However, with a small amount, if it works, it should be a sign that you're good to go onto a higher dose again.

Do you think trying out < 1mg would be a safe idea?

Yup. Will do. Thanks, CH. I believe the patch leaves a small depot of fent under the skin, but I figured that after 48 hours, I'd be okay. Live and learn.

Suboxone Withdrawal?

I have been on suboxone for a month or so, perhaps a month and a week, taking between 2mg and 4mg daily. I stopped cold turkey yesterday because I just wanted to get off the stuff and for me cold turkey is the way to go for opiates.

It has been roughly 42 hours since my last dose and I'm not feeling any symptoms of WD. Does anyone have any experiences like mine? Do you think I will feel any WD symptoms at a later time, or have I just not been on it long enough to experience dependence and then withdrawal?

Its hard to know if you got a get out of jail free card (its happened to me a few times in my life) or if you haven't started to feel sick yet. Unfortunately I'd lean towards the latter (I'm assuming that before the suboxone you were taking a different opioid lately).

^ya JC I was. I just have never gone this long cold turkey without feeling any WD symptoms. Have you ever started to feel WD symptoms as late as 3 days? Granted the half-life of the drug has a lot to do with when you will feel them, but bupe's half-life is around 37 hours so I figured I would feel them by now...

^ I use doses of 2-4mg also the w/d is mild compared to other opioids but longer in duration.

I personally find Buprenorphine to have the worst withdrawal profile- the psychological aspects were much harder to deal with compared to Heroin, Methadone, etc.

That said, with either Buprenorphine or Methadone, I don't experience more than extremely mild symptoms until the 60 hour mark or so. Currently I'm at hour 63 without Methadone, and have just begun to experience minor discomfort (rising body temp, mild sweating, mild anxiety) with another 12 hours to go.

Unfortunately for the bulk of Buprenorphine patients, the illusion of sobriety feels too real. The mild stimulation and lack of a nod/blatant euphoria feels like you aren't taking an opioid at all. The mood lift and stimulation make you feel like you did before taking opioids. Going without a dose for more than 2 days with no withdrawal symptoms tricks you into thinking you're clean.

Nothing is free, especially peace of mind.

I am not trying to scare the original poster, but suboxone withdrawal is way worse than any heroin withdrawal. With heroin after 7 days you are for the most part fine, with suboxone the first week is hell followed by 2 more weeks of tolerable hell. They both suck, but to go and tell people that suboxone withdrawal is easier than heroin withdrawal is a lie.

I'm pretty sure this would've been fine to post in the Suboxone Mega Thread. Any complaints before I merge it into there?

Plus, if you taper correctly, buprenorphine WD should be a lot easier than sudden acute heroin WD - but it can vary for individuals, many find its WD profile worse than other opiates for one reason or another.

I personally can go a lot longer without buprenorphine than I could heroin (acute WD would be hell @ 12 hours after last dose - sometimes 12 hours after my last buprenorphine dose I barely feel any WD symptoms at all.)

I am inclined to agree with everyone, that is to say, that you may yet be in for a bit of a storm. With that in mind however, I was once in a situation where I had to abstain from regular opioids and found myself with a supply of buprenorphine which I took for almost a month.

When the situation ended, I decided to wait till WD came on just to see how long it would take and what the severity was like. It never came. Day 2, Day 3, Day4, Day 5. Nothing. I believe that I started using regular opioids (fentanyl I think it was at the time) on about Day 6. I reckon it was just one of those drug miracles or something, but defo the exception and not the rule.

Edit: Oh, my bupe dose was 4mg bid (twice a day) sublingually for almost a month.

Also, keep us posted as to how you are doing. Best of luck mate.

Last edited:
When to take Suboxone?

When should a heroin addict take suboxone?

I've heard '24 hours or when you're in withdrawal' and there have been times where it's been 25+ hours and no withdrawal at all, and times it felt like withdrawal in 12 hours. I am way too scared to enter precipitated withdrawal from suboxone.

What's withdrawal mean also - strong mental cravings, or does it mean where your cold and feeling like total crap? It seems to take like 2 days for that to happen...

I'm not sure bout Heroin but with Oxy I can take it 12 hours after my last dose and get relief, it's smart to wait as long as possible, but once your in W/D your basically in the clear, cuz if your withdrawling the drug is exiting/no longer in your system, and I've heard even if you do go in to precipitated W/D that it only last for a hour or two, you just need to give the Bupe time knock all the Heroin off your receptors and replace it, so I wouldn't be too worried, take it when the physical W/D is getting pretty moderate, not just when you have mental cravings. I'd say at least wait 12, and if you wanna be safe and can make it, then go 24 hours.

Wait as long as you can, but if you are starting to go into withdrawal then you will be fine to go ahead and take it man. I can get away with a little less with 24 hours with most opiates and 48 hours for methadone, but I'm an ultra rapid metabolizer.

-> Suboxone Mega Thread.

Try waiting a full 48 hours - this is when Suboxone will give you the best relief.

Wait as long as you can, but if you are starting to go into withdrawal then you will be fine to go ahead and take it man. I can get away with a little less with 24 hours with most opiates and 48 hours for methadone, but I'm an ultra rapid metabolizer.

Ok, from what I understand is that if you take sub's to early that it will throw you into early withdrawals. What is it that throws you into early withdrawl? and if you do take it to early and it throws you into withdrawl, how long are you sick before the bupe kicks in and makes you feel better.

Ok got the script. Have to fill it tomorrow.

few questions

1. The doc said if I IV I would go straight into w/d's? Im pretty sure i heard it possible to shoot it? not thats my plan j/w
2. I know you are supposed to dissolve them sublingually, wouldnt it be easier to crush into a powder then let that dissolve in your mouth?

i got the basics covered lol. baked. but il report back in tomorrow. gonna start with 2mg

Shooting Suboxone won't send you into WD's

Ok, from what I understand is that if you take sub's to early that it will throw you into early withdrawals. What is it that throws you into early withdrawl? and if you do take it to early and it throws you into withdrawl, how long are you sick before the bupe kicks in and makes you feel better.

Buprenorphine will kick the other opiates off of your receptors if you take it before you are in full WD from the other opiates.

I don't know how long precipitated WD's last, never had them.

Ok got the script. Have to fill it tomorrow.

few questions

1. The doc said if I IV I would go straight into w/d's? Im pretty sure i heard it possible to shoot it? not thats my plan j/w
Your doctor lied - you won't go into wd's. I've shot Suboxone for a long time and know a lot better than most Suboxone doctors.

2. I know you are supposed to dissolve them sublingually, wouldnt it be easier to crush into a powder then let that dissolve in your mouth?

i got the basics covered lol. baked. but il report back in tomorrow. gonna start with 2mg
Yes, it's a lot easier to crush it up and then let it dissolve in your mouth. However, that way can be difficult (losing some of the powder, etc).

So, here's what I recommend you do:

put some hard proof liquor under your tongue, and then the pill. That way, the pill will dissolve rather quickly, and the alcohol will help the most buprenorphine get across the receptors. It'll take a fraction of the time to dissolve than it would otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.