• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Strategies to make up for MDMA-induced cognitive deficits

If you haven't already, some herbs you might try are Ashwagandha, Gotu Kola, St John's Wort.

Do keep in mind that the majority of your symptoms are in line with depression, including difficulties and semantic (verbal) and episodic memory. As your depression could have theoretically been caused by the your light drug experimentation, it's important not to rule out anything else. Also, 4 months of exercise at 30 minutes a day, while certainly beneficial, is not substantial. Try exercising for at least a year, complimented with a sensible (probably doctor/nutritionist-approved) diet. Neurogenesis isn't easy, but it also isn't impossible. Also, try natural method of enhanced serotonin production, e.g., meditation, yoga, optimism. And read--intellectual stimulation increases endorphin release, increases neuronal proliferation, guides axonal projection. Do keep in mind that the positive long-term benefits of exercise and intellectual stimulation do not occur in unhappy/anxious individuals: the exercise is combatting the effects of poor moods rather than supplementing the effects of positive moods.

Something particularly valuable to note: BDNF, along with other neurotrophic factors, are particularly concentrated in the hippocampal region of the brain--the same region predominately responsible for episodic memory, semantic memory storage, among other things. The dentate gyrus, a particular region of the hippocampus controlling the formation of learning and long-term memory potentiation, is essentially the poster-child for neurogenesis research. Judging from the problems you've described I'd say, even factoring in the time you've already taken before addressing this problem in full, you have the potential to recover (regenerate, reprogram, regain). Just carefully devise a strategy and push forward.

And if I'm not mistaken it was in fact you who noted that there were certain periods--though of limited frequency and duration--that you felt fine. This is important. You have the capacity, now develop on it.

From the first time I took "E" till the last time I took "E"I have hallucinated. I actually took it for that purpose only. I have never taken any other drug before "E". And I loved the hallucinating part of the drug. Once I slammed 10 double stacks at once just to get to it quicker. I love the fact that you are in control of the hallucinations. I was fully aware every time that they where just hallucination. Some where so profound I do not have enough space on this message to begin my stories. I have seen the other side. I met Jesus and became an American Indian in another trip. I have seen beings not from this world. I have morphed into a vampire and have aged in front of a mirror in seconds. I was aware the whole time and nothing ever scared me. Since then I have tried other hallucinegeons and none seem to come close to MDMA. People dont hallucinated on it due to the enviorment they are in. They take it in clubs where dancing and friend occupy there time from focusing on hallucinations. But they are real just ask around someone will have an experience. I have the most amazing stories to share. If interested in hearing them PM me. Enjoy it! Be safe!

I can't believe all you guys here telling the OP that these symptoms are all in his head and not caused by MDMA. Even a mod! I'm ashamed. Remember, everyone is different. While some people out there have done E in the hundreds of times, there are a number of people that encounter severe and long-lasting mental problems even as few as 5-10 times. Rodent studies reinforce this idea -- as an example, Sprague-Dawley and Dark Agouti strains of mice differ by several fold in terms of the intensity of the neurotoxic effects MDMA has on them.

Having experienced depression and cognitive/memory deficits from Ecstasy myself with only a limited number of uses (~10 times, ~15 pills total) there's no doubt in my mind it can really fucked with your brain, even after a relatively small number of uses, though depending on the person in question of course. After all, MDMA is a proven and severe serotonergic neurotoxin in rodents and primates.

For me in terms of cognition, I've noticed the following issues that are no doubt linked to my MDMA use:
  • My general awareness is reduced.. I feel like I'm 3/4ths as conscious as I used to be.
  • I screw up and stutter/stumble more often when I speak and I typo quite a bit more often than I did before.
  • My episodic memory sucks.. this is definitely the most notable change I've had. I have difficulty remembering what I did a few weeks or even days ago. Forget about my thoughts and plans a few months ago. It's like it's all just being slowly and repeatedly wiped clean from my memory with time. I strain even recalling what was going through my mind yesterday. As I type this I'm drawing a blank. Before such things would just come right to me but not anymore. I also consistently repeat stories I've already told people, another thing I didn't frequently do in the past prior to my MDMA use.
  • Concentration-wise I find it somewhat harder to focus and although this is more related to mood than cognition, my motivation has been impaired as well.

While my mood and drive have restored significantly since I permanently quit doing MDMA, the cognitive problems I described above are not recovering nearly as well. It's likely that they're permanent. My last roll was over 4 months ago.

I'm sorry but do you have proof that was caused by MDMA ? Cause everything you just described as a result from MDMA use is exactly what I go through with suffering from ADHD so maybe there was an underlying problem to begin with . Think about it.

I've had good experience with piracetam, but it really is about keeping your mind active and engaged.

I take about 2-3g of piracetam+choline, and noticed improved memory and concentration after about 1 month of usage.

Fish oil is also great to take daily, theres huge amounts of research to support that.

Am I the only one who's gotten immediate and incredible results from piracetam?

I've been taking 2400mg a day for about 4 days with choline/inositol and already I feel like I don't really 'get tired' anymore. I'm alert and awake all day and at bedtime I just gently drift off. Speech flows so much easier lately too, I never have to stop and think about what I'm gonna say. Smoking weed is very euphoric consistently, not nearly as stoning and incapacitating (i'm quite susceptible to amotivational syndrome) and my need for daily caffeine intake has been COMPLETELY eliminated. I had about 60mg a couple days ago and I was sweating pretty intensely; more probably would've been too much (coming from someone who regularly has 150-250mg a day). Makes alcohol extremely clear headed, eliminates the hangover. Makes visuals on mushrooms REALLY intense.

I love this stuff.

BTW mazdaz I really dont appreciate the incredibly selfish response as a SENIOR MODERATOR to be giving "advice" as "you may very well have permanent damage".

As someone who is trying to recover I don't like this response either. Most advice that is given around here is if you worry that you are permanently messed up, you will always be. How about trying to help those have a more positive outlook? You can only get better, maybe not 100%, but your response is a step in the wrong direction.

These threads frustrate me =/

For believing all your problems stem back to 3 uses of pills 5 years ago, you sure do like to take a lot of pills
Modafinil, Adrafinil, Pramiracetam, Aniracetam, Ritalin, Concerta, ginkgo biloba, hydergine, pramiracetam, aniracetam, nicotine (transdermal), 5htp, piracetam DHA+linoleic acid, alpha linoleic acid (flax), SSRIs, NRIs, vitamins C+E, turmeric, standard multivitamins (centrum), phospatidyl serine, milk thistle, melatonin, huperzine a, DMAE, DHEA, Choline, B-complex, alpha lipoic acid, alcar + alpha lipoic acid, acetyl-l-carnitine.

Fighting fire with fire IMO (well, some of those aren't that "bad")

Plus, as stated before (in a scientific study) it isn't usually 1 drug that causes problems, it's poly-drug use.

I don't know how long it 1) took you to "realize" that MDMA had caused these problems and 2) started to use supplements/prescriptions to combat it, but if it has been about 5 years of taking all these things and seeing therapists/doctors, you may want to give it a break and just try living a healthy life cause all that has apparently done nothing but cost time and money.

Try:
1. Eating healthy
2. Working out (+running cause really 20 minutes of running a day is close to being the "warm up" to a normal work out routine for me and most people I know)
3. Meditating/Yoga
4. Challenging your brain (read "heavy" books you're interested in, take up programming, hell even one of those "train your brain" ipod apps could help)
5. Sleeping 7-8 hours a night
6. Joining a group of something, keeps you social and connects you to others (Yoga/meditation/karate group and then you can cross number 2 or 3 off your list)

If your having memory, speech, and awareness problems, have you tried daily flash cards or memory tricks (such as mapping and "flashing") or joining a group like Toast Masters? A meditation or yoga routine will help you be more aware and stay in the moment in your activities.

As for working out, go to the gym and run on the treadmill (or run to the gym) then do a basic workout routine. Doesn't have to make you exhausted but I've found that lifting helped raise my mood better than running (you have to run A LOT more to get those endorphins than you do lifting, at least IME) even if it's just lifting light weights.

A few supplements are good though. I would continue taking a multi-vitamin and fish oil. Normally I would also suggest Piracetam seeing as I've experienced amazing results with this such as a major decrease in my nystagmus, great college test results (100% on all mid-terms, seriously) but I've been taking it daily for 3 months straight now and since you feel it doesn't work for you then =/ but you might wanna try it again.

If you have tried all these suggestions before now, then good, but have you tried them for at least a year consistently? All of these things should take more than a few months to start making noticeable improvement, but they will for sure improve your life. If you say that you don't have time for these things then I guess this really isn't that big of a deal then, but you make it sound like you would do anything to get better.

That's the stuff that I would do, but most of it has probably been said to you before. Just don't fall into the "why do that when I could take a pill?" mentality (not saying you are TC but it does sound like you may have been "seduced" by it's simplicity/ease). You only get out what you put in, so put a fuck ton of work in!

The reason this thread frustrates me though is because it seems that now a days people think that everything can be fixed just as easily as it was broken, well that's just not realistic. I've always had to work harder to fix something compared to breaking it; from vision/physical/speech therapy to depression/anxiety/low self-esteem to borderline obesity and well, just plain fucking up in life. I'm sure many on here can relate. The world isn't fair, there's no book/rule of the Universe that says it is. Sometimes, actually most times, you gotta bust your ass to get what you want. I know you have been working hard at it, but it seems you gotta work better/smarter. You're putting out the effort, now you just have to focus it on more practical things.

I know I am coming off as harsh. Sorry but I ain't here to hold your hand. I still am of the mind that perhaps this isn't the MDMA/adulterant because the brain really is a strong and adaptive organ meaning that it can repair decent damage (or at least make some good compensations) especially after 5 years. If anything I think all the stuff you took trying to help it "heal" has done more bad than good, but I can't know for sure because I'm not you. However I do believe that with enough of the right work you can fix it.

And to all those giving MazDan shit, wtf? Where is this coming from? Did you even read the replies he wrote (in context of what the TC was saying)? They're all logical and rational responses that make good sense (and not based on selfishness, I don't even know how you could get that from those posts).

*This post may "flow" a little weird but that's just because I wrote hall this morning and the other half right now haha*

i took 18 hits of pure mdma once upon a time. worst choice of my life, just say no to another handful of molly capsules. seriously, it's not worth it.

I enjoyed the first time a lot. The other two times were not as exciting.

The less improvement I see, the more I regret it.

I get those too, to some extent.

Yes, there are.

I've tried huperzine A. I was really excited about it since it's supposed to work like donepezil, but I got no benefit from it.

Intense running every day for 30 minutes. It makes me feel better, but the cognitive effects are short-lived.

They basically had no effect on me.

Yes. Exercise helps, but if I miss a single day, I feel depressed and have even more trouble concentrating. Also, its effects on concentration are short-lived in my case.

Lol someone's a negative nancy.

You should be able to get the memantine somewhat easily - there are a few people who have convinced their psychiatrists to 'script it for help with amphetamine tolerance.

Just because you aren't feeling noticeable neurological effects from the exercise yet, don't give it up!

I'm not sure you will ever find the answer you seem to be looking for from this board, but I really hope you do somewhere, somehow. I'm sure we'll have both forgotten about Bluelight by then, but I'm really curious to see how you'll be doing in five years from now. Hopefully things will have turned around for you!

*P.S. have you looked around / talked to people from the Advanced Drug Discussion forum? The level of knowledge and understanding of drug metabolism is really pretty incredible over there.

Its been about five years now. Wonder if he ever got any better

Last edited: