• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Strategies to make up for MDMA-induced cognitive deficits

Matthew Reece

Greenlighter
I know that there are a lot of people who are not affected negatively by MDMA. But I also noticed others - like me - who are suffering from problems with concentration and other subtle cognitive deficiencies since first-time use.

How do you manage your symptoms? What have your doctors suggested? Do you take any medication or supplements to try to feel normal?

Please avoid mentioning the supplements you take as prophylactic. (Pre-MDMA).
Please, also avoid mentioning homeopathy and most herbal supplements, or even Piracetam and other purported nootropics that have no side-effects. Those things don't work.

lol, wow you are really opinionated aye.

You seem quite confident that mdma has caused you some cognitive problems from one use and also are convinced aboiut what does and doesnt work.

I suggest that chances are your problems are all psychosomatic.

Start trying to think positively and dont believe everything you read.

For once I'm inclined to agree with MazDan, I'd imagine your symptoms are entirely psychosomatic, or are stemming from some other cause, unless you have a serious history of MDMA abuse.

Regardless of the evidence for/against herbal supplements and piracetam (and I think making a blanket statement like 'they don't work' is incredibly ignorant and obtuse), almost any suggestion made will likely involve something along those lines, so you're SOL I'd say.

ok .. i really hate this subject as to all the debates.

feeling cognitive problems after FIRST use?..... NO....
after abusing ...? Yes

coming from a person who abused mdma .. not just used it ... (i know its bad)

yes at least for me it has caused some cognitive problems

iv noticed mainly in my speech and memory... i obliviously had to stop ..

i dont even want to get into this damn subject

but all i have to say is
EVERY DRUG USED IN EXCESS CAUSES PROBLEMS IN THE LONG RUN ..

lets be realistic
i love drugs but i know what the consequences of using them are

Last edited:
yeah man...I refuse to believe that using MDMA once would cause the effects you are talking about. everyone I know who has experienced cognative defficiencies from the use of MDMA developed them after abusing the drug for a long time. for me it was over a year of using once a week and that is pretty much par for others who had similar experiences.

What did I do to combat it?...I stuck it out and kept my mind active. I even found out that some of the symptoms that I attributed to MDMA abuse ( racing/ heart palpitations, panic, lightheadedness, confussion) were acctually caused by a totaly unrelated medical promblem. I think you are looking for a scape goat and MDMA seems like an obvious one. but given my experience and the countless others I read MDMA just doesn't fit in this case.

Maz is right. It's all in your head. I have abused MDMA and now I feel that my mind is back to normal. It's the hype that people have created about MDMA screwing with your brain chemistry that causes people to panic. There is probably some effect on your mind with long term use, but you shouldn't worry too much if you moderate usage or quit.

Keep your mind engaged
. Include more intellectual activities in your free time like reading, art, music, or using your non-dominant hand.

PS. I have found that a day after some heavy drinking to cause me to have more trouble concentrating and recalling than a day after MDMA. Sometimes I have enhanced concentration (to an almost psychotic level) on a comedown.

lol, wow you are really opinionated aye.

You seem quite confident that mdma has caused you some cognitive problems from one use and also are convinced aboiut what does and doesnt work.

I suggest that chances are your problems are all psychosomatic.

Start trying to think positively and dont believe everything you read.

It's been 5 years since I took MDMA, and I've tried just about every supplement out there. Also, homeopathic remedies have no scientific basis.

For the first few weeks, even the first couple of years, I assumed that my symptoms were psychosomatic.

I would like more than anything to believe that it's all in my head, so to speak, but my last year of college was incredibly frustrating (and I only had easy classes left).

I'll be the first to admit that maybe it's all psychosomatic, but after 5 years of not taking any MDMA? Maybe what I got was not pure MDMA, would that change your mind?

For once I'm inclined to agree with MazDan, I'd imagine your symptoms are entirely psychosomatic, or are stemming from some other cause, unless you have a serious history of MDMA abuse.

Regardless of the evidence for/against herbal supplements and piracetam (and I think making a blanket statement like 'they don't work' is incredibly ignorant and obtuse), almost any suggestion made will likely involve something along those lines, so you're SOL I'd say.

I've only used MDMA 3 times, all separated by 2-4 weeks in a 3 month period, 5 years ago.

I've tried just about every -racetam out there. Maybe they have some effect immediately after MDMA use, but certainly not 3-4 years later. If you really think it works, I might give it a try, but it is well known that drugs with few or no side-effects are often advertised as a panacea by scam-artists and well-meaning friends and family.

Some herbal supplements may have therapeutic effects (after all that were we get some of our medications), so I really shouldn't have made a blanket statement about them. If you think a particular herbal supplement works, then I'd like to hear about it, though I've tried many already, with no positive effects.

ok .. i really hate this subject as to all the debates.

feeling cognitive problems after FIRST use?..... NO....
after abusing ...? Yes

That's what I keep hearing, but I'm not the only person to complain about cognitive problems after first use.

coming from a person who abused mdma .. not just used it ... (i know its bad)

yes at least for me it has caused some cognitive problems

iv noticed mainly in my speech and memory... i obliviously had to stop ..

What do you do to cope with your problems?

i dont even want to get into this damn subject

I hate this subject as well. That's why I've been putting it off for so long. I think I'm about ready to accept that it's not just psychosomatic, and that I am responsible for hurting myself. All that's left to do is find a solution - a way to cope and make life more normal. Surely you do too, even if we disagree on what it takes to cause cognitive deficits.

Mathew lets assume for a moment that these are very real syptoms.

Did it ever occur to you that what your experiencing had absolutely nothing to do with the mdma use?

Have you seen a doctor and discussed your problems?

I note that the single use has now gone up to 3 uses but seriously, unless you used massive ammounts, its really doubtful that you would get any long lasting effects.

I truly believe your barking up the wrong tree which also explains why your not getting anywhere.

Imagine you wear glasses for the first time and a few days later you go outside and your car has changed colour. You blame the glasses. You learn that sometimes wearing glasses can change your perception of colour. You search high and low for a way of reversing the problem.
But you know what...............it had nothing to do with the glasses and everything to do with the fact that your car was getting overspray from the body repair shop next door. But because you were so blindly believing what you wanted to believe you were never going to find the root of the problem.

I hope that helps you to understand and maybe find an answer.

yeah man...I refuse to believe that using MDMA once would cause the effects you are talking about. everyone I know who has experienced cognative defficiencies from the use of MDMA developed them after abusing the drug for a long time. for me it was over a year of using once a week and that is pretty much par for others who had similar experiences.

As I've told you before, I absolutely hope you are right. But I've seen people complain about problems after first-time use on this site (I indicated who they were on another post). The easiest explanation is that the MDMA I had was not pure. The next best explanation is that some people are more susceptible to MDMA toxicity than others, for biological reasons - just like some people can feel refreshed after sleeping only 6 hours instead of 8, or how people can smoke all of their life and never get lung cancer.

What did I do to combat it?...I stuck it out and kept my mind active. I even found out that some of the symptoms that I attributed to MDMA abuse ( racing/ heart palpitations, panic, lightheadedness, confussion) were acctually caused by a totaly unrelated medical promblem. I think you are looking for a scape goat and MDMA seems like an obvious one. but given my experience and the countless others I read MDMA just doesn't fit in this case.

I've been trying to keep my mind active, and I exercise all the time.

I agree that there are other things that could account for my concentration problems - a lot of those have been ruled out, including thiamine deficiency, lack of exercise, etc.

I don't think I'm looking for a scape-goat because I really want to rid myself of this problem. A scapegoat would be attributing my problems to a concussion during a ski-trip, or mild-impairment due to aging - anything would be a better scapegoat than believing that I caused my own permanent problems through drug-use.

Maz is right. It's all in your head. I have abused MDMA and now I feel that my mind is back to normal. It's the hype that people have created about MDMA screwing with your brain chemistry that causes people to panic.

Maybe so. It's just that things that were easy to deal with, are much more difficult now. I get the tip of the tongue feeling all the time, it's very hard to concentrate, or do anything that involves multi-tasking, and I get very irritable.

You'd think that after 5 years of not using MDMA, I'd realize there's nothing wrong with me, despite the "hype".

There is probably some effect on your mind with long term use, but you shouldn't worry too much if you moderate usage or quit.

OK. But what exactly accounts for the effect with long-term use? Could it be that after 1000 pills you are bound to get a dirty-pill with nasty toxic chemicals? Or is it a cumulative effect?

If the effect is due to a single adulterated pill, then the long-term use theory also makes sense.

Keep your mind engaged
. Include more intellectual activities in your free time like reading, art, music, or using your non-dominant hand.

I do this all the time. Sometimes I avoid intellectual tasks, though, because I get really frustrated with my inability to concentrate.

PS. I have found that a day after some heavy drinking to cause me to have more trouble concentrating and recalling than a day after MDMA. Sometimes I have enhanced concentration (to an almost psychotic level) on a comedown.

I don't doubt that for a moment. There have been seven or 8 short occasions when I've felt fine in the past 5 years, so I'm hoping there's still something I can do.

Last edited:
here's a strategy: don't read about neurotoxicity and don't even think that you are damaged in any way whatsoever. Stay healthy, stay away from drugs and alcohol and wait.

I used about 30-40 times and I still managed to complete a college degree, get in law school (imagine how much concentration that demands of me) and I don't feel bad everyday. I had anxiety before I ever used and I feel like I do get better if I stay away from drugs for a few solid months.

MDMA may have impaired me mentally, but all I can do is hope the damage will mend over time, hope that downregulation is more responsible than neurotoxicity for negative effects and hope that I will just balance out over time. I feel balanced many days so there is some hope.

Mathew lets assume for a moment that these are very real syptoms.

Did it ever occur to you that what your experiencing had absolutely nothing to do with the mdma use?

Yes. My first theory was that it was a short MDMA-induced depression. My second theory was that I was on vacation and I was too distracted to think clearly. Then I thought it was psychosomatic or imagined. Then I thought it was the heavy weekly drinking sessions with my girlfriend at the time. Then I went back to the psychosomatic theory for quite a while. Then back to depression.

A year later, I thought it was temporary damage from the MDMA I had taken, and I thought exercising, eating better, etc, would help speed recovery.

When that didn't work, I tried omega-3 fish oil supplements, gingko biloba, piracetam, aniracetam, pramiracetam, selegiline, diet-restriction, small amounts of alcohol (don't ask), sleeping pills (anti-histamines) for better sleep.

Have you seen a doctor and discussed your problems?

The first doctor I saw freaked out and had me see a neurologist who suggested a brain MRI. She suspected my symptoms were due to depression. The MRI came back normal.

Then I saw a psychologist who was inexplicably more concerned about some Paxil I had taken years ago. She assumed I had real cognitive deficits and sent me home with a voice-recorder, which obviously didn't help, since I have trouble multi-tasking and task-switching.

Then I had a sleep-study which came back normal.

Then I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed Adderall and Cymbalta. This combination helped quite a bit, but I felt nauseous all the time. He believed the problems were a result of taking adulterated MDMA, or something that wasn't MDMA.

There were SSRIs that improved my mood, but never my concentration, so maybe I can rule out depression.

Now I'm seeing another psychologist for depression and anxiety, but even when the depression and anxiety subside, I still have trouble concentrating.

I note that the single use has now gone up to 3 uses but seriously, unless you used massive ammounts, its really doubtful that you would get any long lasting effects.

I'm not trying to bait-and-switch. I started noticing problems concentrating as early as the first use. For the couple of weeks after the first use I felt fatigued and sluggish.

I truly believe your barking up the wrong tree which also explains why your not getting anywhere.

Imagine you wear glasses for the first time and a few days later you go outside and your car has changed colour. You blame the glasses. You learn that sometimes wearing glasses can change your perception of colour. You search high and low for a way of reversing the problem.
But you know what...............it had nothing to do with the glasses and everything to do with the fact that your car was getting overspray from the body repair shop next door. But because you were so blindly believing what you wanted to believe you were never going to find the root of the problem.

I hope that helps you to understand and maybe find an answer.

I understand your analogy. I really hope that is the case, but I'm not finding the body repair shop next door.

here's a strategy: don't read about neurotoxicity and don't even think that you are damaged in any way whatsoever. Stay healthy, stay away from drugs and alcohol and wait.

I will give that another try. Thanks for the advice.

Sometimes I think I have memory loss and trouble concentrating since I began rolling. Then I realize I already had trouble before. And some of the memory loss is because I don't pay attention as much as I should.

MR, you can't take back what you have done. But you've enjoyed what MDMA has taught you.
But like all experiences in life, you can only learn from it and move forward.

I sometimes beat myself up about what I did to myself. It's not problems with cognition for me, it's emotional disturbances and more cynicism (also I tend use the language of a new age burnout).

Matthew_reece there are things like "Schizophrenia" and "paranoia".

Supps like vinpocetine, huperzine, alcar, and altyrosine work well togethers.
All are found in a product named supp named adderllin.