• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Straight pyschedelics

Ah, yes, I see what you mean now. MDMA needs to bind to the serotonin transporter (SERT) in order to reverse it's effect from reuptake to release, and any additional serotonin (or SSRI) floating around within the synapses is competing with MDMA at those sites, thus diminishing the effect of MDMA. I can see how this could become an issue with 5-HTP. Is it similar with tryptophan though? From what I understand, tryptophan is only used for synthesis of serotonin if there is deficit of the latter. Pre-loading with tryptophan shouldn't therefore pose a problem, though I may be wrong here.

hmm, pretty sure it does. Tryptophan turns into 5-HTP and then serotonin. 5-HTP is just one step closer to serotonin in the cascade so it's a more direct line to get more serotonin but tryptophan most definitely increases serotonin levels.

This friday night I drank a whey protein shake (which contains a crapload of tryptophan) and took some methylone a couple hours later. It did nothing for me. Methylone for me feels rather serotonergic especially since I've been taking piracetam but on friday it was munted all to hell and felt just like an experiement I tried a few years ago where I took 5-HTP before MDMA.

Hmm well I'm pretty sure production of serotonin from tryptophan is rate-limited, otherwise you would get high from enough tryptophan alone. If you ingest enough 5-HTP, you can feel the effects from elevated serotonin levels. This is not the case with tryptophan AFAIK.

You could be right. I've always noticed after high tryptophan intake I get tired and in order to get melatonin it has to become serotonin first.

I'm just describing what tryptophan did to my MDxx experience which is that it completely wrecked it.

For someone wanting to feel the MDMA magic for the first time I think it'd be a good precaution to stay away from serotonin precursors, even if they are potentially rate limited.

Best to be on the safe side to make sure you have a beautiful experience.

Yeah, maybe there is some sort of mechanism why preloading with tryptophan dulls the MDMA experience, IDK. I haven't personally noticed this, but then again it's been a long time since I took MDMA, and it never coincided with me ingesting anything rich in tryptophan, either, AFAICT.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic, sorry for derailing the thread.

Back on topic: Personally, I've loved psychedelics more than any other type of drug from the day I tried them. I could easily see myself quitting everything else, if it wasn't for my social anxiety and need for social lubricants like alcohol and stimulants. If I quit everything for a long time, however, I don't see why I couldn't get back to psychedelics without getting back into "hard drugs" as well. There is really no connection for me between psychedelics and other drugs (except for weed). YMMV, though.

As far as taking 5-htp before a roll I never saw the point. After or late in it makes sense but I would think that excess serotonin, under normal conditions would be metabolized very quickly.

I've had serious drug problems, and they ended right before psychedelics came into my life. That was years ago now, and I only use psychedelics. I'm also sober most of the time, in general.

I'm scared of taking psychedelics now as so many people seem to think they put and end to your desire for the high hard drugs give. That would be tragic if it happened to me.

^ heh for me thats what i need. Hard drugs were not something I could operate on. Psyches were always great to me though

I'm pretty much at this point. I did use to dabble in MDMA a bit.. but the side effects were disastrous in the end for me.

For now it's just DMT and LSD, and on occasion marijuana.. but i was never to big on weed. Although as of late i've slowed down the rate at which i consume these.. too much disassociation from myself for long periods of time.

I'm scared of taking psychedelics now as so many people seem to think they put and end to your desire for the high hard drugs give. That would be tragic if it happened to me.
LOL, never heard of anyone scared of losing the desire to take hard drugs :D

Anyway, I wouldn't worry if I were you. Psychedelics haven't changed my use of other drugs much, although I've never gotten too much into the more destructive ones (for example, I never did any opiates). Psychedelics do have the capacity to put things into perspective, and make you notice and want to change your more destructive patterns of behaviour; if the latter include the use of "hard drugs", then they might make you reconsider using them. It's a good thing though IMO, you will never regret the loss of such desire, I'm sure.

LOL, never heard of anyone scared of losing the desire to take hard drugs :D

Anyway, I wouldn't worry if I were you. Psychedelics haven't changed my use of other drugs much, although I've never gotten too much into the more destructive ones (for example, I never did any opiates). Psychedelics do have the capacity to put things into perspective, and make you notice and want to change your more destructive patterns of behaviour; if the latter include the use of "hard drugs", then they might make you reconsider using them. It's a good thing though IMO, you will never regret the loss of such desire, I'm sure.

Completely agreed. If your hard drug use is not a destructive behavior, chances are it won't scare you and force change when brought up to the surface.

Cool, because I can sustain my current opioid use easily without it affecting my quality of life for a specific reason that I can't discuss (I'm in a different situation to the typical opioid user so the normal rules don't apply).

I've never touched any "hard drugs"... I've done marijuana, salvia, DOC, 2c-i, 4 AcO-MiPT, mushrooms, lsd, mescaline.

I don't see any redeeming qualities in "hard" drugs.

If you get a constant and restricted supply of opioids and cannot practically escalate your use unless you REALLY go nuts and out of your way then after you've been getting high every week for years with virtually no negative consequences it's hard to think of hard drugs being bad at all in any way for yourself as an individual. Of course everyone is different.

My desire to use drugs is closely bound up with my desire to try new things in general, though those two wishes are not one and the same. So, I personally cannot consider myself a "psychedelics only" type of person, and I think that such a person might be fairly rare.

However, I do not think it is infeasible to only do psychedelics, I just think that a mindset that enables psychedelic use in many cases can include use of other drugs fairly easily. I suppose it depends on the individual, as we have seen in this thread. My drug-taking tendencies so far have included doing psychs and opiates concurrently, then opiates primarily, then psychs primarily. Frequent use of one tends to edge out frequent use of another. And I must say that I believe at this time the current trend of frequent psych use is much more likely to stay prevalent, as I find it much more productive and enjoyable. I believe many browsing this particular forum will feel similar. %)

Straight psychedelics? Hell no. I love psychedelics and if I were to choose one class of drugs to do for the rest of my life it would be them, however, I poking around into other genres of drugs. Opiates for a nice lazy Sunday, or after a hard day of work. Alcohol for a crazy fiesta, or relaxing in the sun. Coke for a rare occasion that I just want to feel like god.

Every drug has there moments. Its all about how your use them and how you control yourself. For example I don't go looking for opiate hook ups (I'll only grab them when its obvious that they are around through my usual people). I love opiates to much to put my self into that position.