Sports, Leisure, Gaming, and Gambling

i think the mods tend to get defensive and personal in their responses because they're always being asked to change things around and add new shit.. as if they're fairy godmothers or something.

but i think this is one wish that doesn't need to be granted. as has already been pointed out, a lakers fan probably has no interest in reading about how perth's football club is doing. even with the oft-mentioned C & U forum, the topics there are more universal and easier to relate to no matter where you're going to school. you'd have to create a sports forum for each region and that would get messy. new forums are created and old forums removed (for example, canada events) to better organize the board not to create more bloat.

of course gambling is an issue that does relate to harm-reduction, as it carries a lot of the same risks as drugs. it's also more universal. however, it's not a realistic expectation to expect the board to cover absolutely *everything,* and the mission statement of bluelight is to reduce the harm of drugs, not other compulsive activities.

if you look at the currently active forums and their purpose, the connection to drug culture is, no matter how tenuous, stronger than it is when discussing sports.

Originally posted by dyscotopia
i think the mods tend to get defensive and personal in their responses because they're always being asked to change things around and add new shit.. as if they're fairy godmothers or something.

but it's not the moderators who "change things around and add new shit". that task is performed exclusively by the admins.

i'm not sure how i can help you understand this more clearly?

with due respect to the problem with generalising, i think you need to realise that, in a sense, moderators are simply bluelighters who moderate. their opinions on how BL operates are just as validas yours. perhaps they're more passionate about their responses because they've generally been around BL longer so they have a more historical perspective and they've generally made a significant contribution which they would not have, one assumes, if they didn't give a shit about BL's future?

just a thought.

alasdair

uhm, well, i'm sure the admins read the responses in these types of debates and take them into consideration when making changes. they also probably take the opinions of mods, who've been here longer and contributed more, more seriously.

besides, my reply had to do with a perception a great many users hold regardless of how true it is. most people direct their requests to moderators, not to the admins, because the admins are much less visible on the board.

anyways, did you read the rest of my post or did you stop at the first paragraph?

^^ You'd be surprised.
You really don't know what goes on behind the scenes, so really, don't try to pretend you do.

anyways, did you read the rest of my post or did you stop at the first paragraph?

i read the whole thing but i had nothing to add.

alasdair

rc: i bow to your superior knowledge.

i think i'll stay out of support. whether advocating change or things remaining the same i can't seem to make any valid points anyways.

i think i'll stay out of support. whether advocating change or things remaining the same i can't seem to make any valid points anyways.

don't be like that - it's like taking your ball and going home :(

you are making your position known fine and your comments are welcome. that said, you do have to realise that there's a lot of people on bluelight and your opinion is, like mine, just one of many.

stick around.

alasdair

hey, at least i'm not leaving the board. ;)

oh well, even if it's only been to give readers of these threads a clearer insight into the division of labour between the moderators and the administrators, i suppose my participation was worthwhile. i'm probably not the only person who was similarly deluded.

dyscotopia said:

Well, alisdair beat me to a response, but only because my comp froze last night. From my perspective, your replies have been well rounded and your points have been very valid - especially from a member's perspective which is something these types of discussion need to maintain. Your comments are welcome, and encouraged, despite how some jaded staff members may feel. The SUPPORT forum is intended to be an open an friendly (as much as possible) place for intelligent discussions for resolving problems and addressing concernes.

I do hope the other staff members that help out in this forum remember that they were once also bluelighters without knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes. Which is better - telling those who don't know to keep thier mouths shut, or to educate them on what they don't know so they are better equipped to help the site in the future?

i think i'll stay out of support. whether advocating change or things remaining the same i can't seem to make any valid points anyways.....[merging quotes]...I think a lot of mods think that too!

This could be taken as a 'shut up' statement. But I'll offer an alternative way of reading it - A lot of the staff have suggested and fought for other forums which have not been created despite their best intentions and efforts. Even with behind the scene knowledge, what those members thought were valid points didn't make a difference in the admins decisions and some of them have chosen not to try anymore or come in here for these discussions. I won't presume to know which meaning rc intended, but in keeping the 'discussion open to any point of view' mindset, I'll hope it is the second interpretation.

^^ it was

I've been meaning to come back here and clarify that - i was concerned that is how it came across.

personally i think bluelighters can have just as much input as moderators on decisions like this. the more demand from a population(blers) and not just a select group of individuals (mods) the more likely it is something occurs..

FoxyKel said:
I was just making a point that no matter what topic you create a forum on, it will encourage people to post on that topic -

So whats so worng w/ diversifying the site? I understand some people think it may take away from the "Harm reduction" theme that it was founded on. But I think that this site has much more to offer than just Harm reduction. The people who seek info about drugs and safe practices will make their way to the Drug forums regardless of additional forums. There are many people who mainly post in those forums as i mainly post in the community forums.

I think BL offering different things to post about is harm reduction in itself. Some people, like i used to be, are always thinking about drugs this drugs that. Yes its interesting and fun but there is more things to talk about then just harm reduction and experiences. I mean theres only so much harm reduction people can do. So why not offer some alternatives other than talking about drugs day and night. Yes im fully aware that there are already plenty alternatives already present at this site. But whats the harm in adding some more?

I wasn't un-chilled in the slightest, I'm sorry that my mentioning feces gave you the impression that I was ;)

Sorry shit makes me feel shitty;)

...and I have read all the posts made in this thread! Most of it was reasonable and will be kept in mind.

Sports, Leisure, Gaming, Gambling

xxxx

could we please have the new forum as suggested above soonest please.

Last edited:
ty v much TLB. i spent a huge amount of time trying to find the original post & still managed to get it wrong.

what a fucking idiot i am ?

still under consideration after more than 1 year TLB.

i would be grateful if the admins could decide one way or the other within 1 week.

cheers.