Sports, Leisure, Gaming, and Gambling

^
"allusion" or "reference", not "metaphor", I think ;)

But I agree 100%. We had very few political threads till we created CE&P. There were very few Dark Side-type threads till we created TDS. BL history has shown that people will post threads in a dedicated forum that they would not post in a general forum.

I'm not desperate to see this forum created, but I would post in it, and I think there's as much justification for having it as there is for having Film and TV or Music and DJs (and NEMD).

m885 said:
To make a horribly corny metaphor, if you build it they will come.
LOL!!! :D

fieldofdreamsmannvm7.jpg

make this forum and I just might be more inclined to visit this place. :D

Sim0n said:
But I agree 100%. We had very few political threads till we created CE&P. There were very few Dark Side-type threads till we created TDS. BL history has shown that people will post threads in a dedicated forum that they would not post in a general forum.
i wasn't aware of that - thanks for bringing it up. i'm surprised that, given the vehemence with which some have demanded a sporting forum, nobody's drawn this simple parallel - to me there's a huge difference between quoting field of dreams and actually demonstrating that it's relevant :)

alasdair

Thanks for expanding on my point, simon- it was 5AM and I was a bit punchy. :)

Nice graphics, but if we build it, and they come, we need to control concessions, parking, and a decent ticket price. All the money is in merchandising, remember that.

Admins could pull up some stats to disprove me here, but i have very very rarely used SO for anything ... and when i have, it was only on a slow night, after making the last post in every other forum first. I really like THR!, but in its current state; SO is the most boring forum on bluelight.

I really don't care if we get a sports forum or not though - because despite not offering any advice these days (maybe i will return soon now that i'm active again) - i'm strongly of the opinion that the FF, DD and harm reduction forums are the core of the site and obviously represent the heart and soul of discussion here at bluelight. Any energies should be directed towards improving this part of the site, which has probably degenerated over the years (IMO). Definately agree with blowmonkey's (old) opinions on this style of issue - i.e. if it is not a request to do with drugs or harm reduction, then why should anybody give a fuck...

That said, i strongly believe that S.O is largely inadequate for conducting a trial due to the low flow of traffic. It would be a shame if the 'need' for a sports forum was gauged by the success of sports threads in SO. Rather, the strength of sport discussion in the regional forums would be a more accurate indicator of the potential strength of participation in a new forum. Personally I think it is obvious that a sports forum would be much more popular than some of the weaker community forums, but this doesn't mean it should be created.

One more angle - i'm not sure what happened, but we seem to have lost MANY very worthwhile contributors from the drug forums while i was away and before i left. Not sure the whole 'bluelight is not a democracy', cold-shoulder management approach can be justified these days if it has had a negative impact on the important aspects of this website (not saying it has, but it may be a reason). Note: i believe this approach is necessary for dealing with the whiny lounge-types, because i genuinely agree that we suck and don't deserve the bandwidth we take up as is ;)

Originally posted by LapDawg:
make this forum and I just might be more inclined to visit this place.
hahaha, who's turn is it in the NBA draft thread ????

Last edited:
In my opinion, a sport and gaming thread would be a great addition to this site.

I've been with Bluelight for a few years now and in that time I've seen it morph from a great drug use and harm reduction support site to a brilliant, (nearly) all-encompassing community. Obviously the focus is on drugs and harm reduction but I like to think that the quality and volume of members has resulted in BL growing into a hub where people can talk about anything with like minded and open individuals. Despite the addition of community forums the drug and hard reduction focus permeates through the whole site. I don't believe the central theme has become diluted by non-drug forums and I don't think that adding in a sport and gaming page will dilute it further.

As Bluelight has grown it has added non-drug forums that cover just about every major spectrum of life with the exception of sports and gaming. I can accept that sports and gaming are trivial to some but to many, many people participating and watching sports and games are a core recreational outlet. I am sure that the demand is there and a sport and gaming forum would be a success.

Bluelight doesn't "need" a sport and gaming forum. The site isn't going to implode without one. I also agree that sport and gaming fall outside the general spectrum of drugs and harm reduction. However, Bluelight has grown out of its drug and harm reduction skin and has become a central hub with dedicated forums where people come to discuss everything. Sports and gaming are a big part of life to many people and the addition of this forum would be in line with the gradual shift from drugs only to everything that BL has undeniably experienced over the years. I think such a forum would be a valuable addition to the site and would not detract from the central harm reduction message anymore than College and University or Film and Television has. I think adding a sports and gaming forum, even if only on a trial basis, is a great idea.

TheLoveBandit said:
Also, I'll point out that the suggestion of a week to reach a decision is somewhat unrealistic, and I can't say when a final decision would be reached (though certainly some response is deserved before another year passes ;) ). We're dealing with a site that has six admins, and with a reluctance for anyone to weild executive power and perhaps make bad decisions, we try to get a majority decision made before any action takes place. With six Admins, that can take a little time for everyone to have input...certainly more than a week. Most especially during a time frame of Christmas and New Years holidays occuring :\ Patience, faith, and crossed fingers is what we'd ask of you guys - along with any other constructive comments on the decision. In return, we promise to give a firm answer as soon as we can. :)

wow TLB --- so many words to justify no decision within a week. it was always SD's claim that management by committee was just too slow & unwieldy to get things done.

at the time i was arguing for a democratic BL i thought of having an anonymous board of 7 directors & if a decision was required on anything they would be given 1 week to respond else they would be viewed as abstaining.

so no need to review this --- just send out this link & ask each admin for a yes or no within a week ( does anyone else except admins get a vote --- say johnboy or chr1.5 or, god forbid, even myself ) :)

Welcome back, xtcxtc. Yes, I'm great at using a bunch of words to say very little ;) And yes, it is (at times unbearably) slow for a 'group' to make a decision, and very easy for any progress to not be shown to the public (a fault of those making decisions). However, I'll make my best effort to answer you shortly and to the point:

1) The Admins *DO* struggle to reach decisions in a timely fashion, but we're working out operating procedures (similar to your suggestion) in order to get things moving quicker - here and in all cases.

2) Bluelight has several initiatives under way - the staff is helping organize them now, and hopefully they will be ready for public use shortly. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. PM or email me if you can't stand the suspense - or just wait a bit and come back to see what's been done :D

TheLoveBandit said:
1) The Admins *DO* struggle to reach decisions in a timely fashion, but we're working out operating procedures (similar to your suggestion) in order to get things moving quicker - here and in all cases.

that sounds great TLB & is of much greater importance than the specific issue i am concerned with.

congrats also on a nice succinct post that dealt with all the points without being too verbose !!;)

TLB's not posting in tongues anymore! he's cured! it's a miracle!

and all it took was a severe beating by a godstick!:D

I will personally guarantee that DigitalDuality will post nudes if this forum gets created.

randycaver said:
I will personally guarantee that DigitalDuality will post nudes if this forum gets created.

That's a threat, right? ;)