• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Opioids [Specifically UK people, please] - Can you grow your own Poppies from Poppy Seeds...

u have weird laws there.those garden poppies are opium poppies only in books.do u have drink real pharma grade pod?with morhine content about 20 percent?(in the milk,not in the straw ,which is much lesser]it is as powerful as strong H.,but with much longer duration.whole day nodding.garden varieties rarely are above 5 percent.I have seen pic. of plants grown in the island.....nothing simmilar with original plant.

Last edited:
Pharma grade seeds for producing pharma grade pods are available, not as easily available as the common garden variety, but still available.

I'm not too sure but I think even the common garden variety of strains like hens and chicks might have quite a high alkaloid content.

Last edited:
i know,that pharma industry grows in U.K. pharma grade...somewhere in the south...Davon may be..if i write it correctly idk.these dissapeared here ,when they banned it long,long time ago...the others are ok,if u are drug naive or u have low tollerance...and yes they can grow obvious in southern UK...as to Dublin-idk...never heard about....and sorry for the input....it is written-Specifically for UK people.my apologies

It's not my thread, I didn't create the title, but I don't think you have to apologise or not post on the thread

I think the OP only mentioned UK because he was asking specific questions about the poppy seeds specifically in the UK. But general input from anywhere is all good I would have thought.

I know that pharma pods are grown on an industrial scale in the South East in Berkshire and Oxfordshire. Probably other places too.

Last edited:
you can buy papavor somniforium opium poppy seeds on Amazon for $10
Yeah they're easy to get and will grown almost anywhere. It's getting the strains with the high alkaloid content that's the challenge. I've made tea out of local poppies many times (England) and they'll only produce a mild high if your tolerance is low.
Papaver somniferum is a broad species. Like saying hemp will get you high, when it's a bit more difficult than that.

Yeah they're easy to get and will grown almost anywhere. It's getting the strains with the high alkaloid content that's the challenge. I've made tea out of local poppies many times (England) and they'll only produce a mild high if your tolerance is low.
Papaver somniferum is a broad species. Like saying hemp will get you high, when it's a bit more difficult than that.
I've seen talk of genuine 'pharma grade' seeds going online, and I was initially quite excited by this and thinking that it could be worth following up. But things seem to be a little more complicated than I initially thought, and unfortunately it might not be quite as straight forward as 'pharma grade = high alkaloid content = good stuff'.

Apparently a number of the pharma grade poppy strains have been modified or cultivated so that they produce very high levels of Thebaine, which is used for producing Oxy. The problem is that high Thebaine can be harmful and cause seizures, or give unpleasant effects at best.

Some people are saying that pink or orange sap is a sign of high thebaine and those pods should be avoided. Others are disagreeing and saying that they are fine. W/e the case, nobody is saying that white sap is bad, so it looks like that much should be good to indicate some level of safety.

I hope to be able to get to the truth of the matter, but it can be very difficult with different folks contradicting each other, when you can't be sure who is actually correct.

Last edited:

I don't understand the law well enough to fux with it. I remember back as a kid grabbin just about any poppy bulb even though they were mostly of the oriental variety. (useless if not close). (I was countin on em for 'those days' believe they weren't ish).

I moved into a place that opium poppy was grown in the garden. It remained through a full on no knock warrant. There were a few, not as many as either neighbor. Never heard word one about that.

This is almost guaranteed to be a myth but "I was told no razor slit in the bulb" (OR OTHER provable intent) no problem. I added the other provable intent for common sense. If they have vids of you doing a soak or you sell pods to a cop obvi gunna suck for you.

I know the seeds are almost always rinsed. The pods are a viable option; can't just ebay em anymore unfortunately though.

This is almost guaranteed to be a myth but "I was told no razor slit in the bulb" (OR OTHER provable intent) no problem. I added the other provable intent for common sense. If they have vids of you doing a soak or you sell pods to a cop obvi gunna suck for you.
I don't think that's a myth at all, as far as I understand the situation that is pretty much exactly what it boils down to. If LE wanted to prosecute an individual for 'intent to harvest opium' or w/e the legal terminology would be, then scored pods would surely be considered as evidence of intent.

I found this semi-relevant / fairly interesting video last night.

https://video.vice.com/en_uk/video/heroin-holiday-in-the-czech-republic/560a7ceea12f09c617a5658f

Shame it's spoiled by such a lame and lazy conclusion / wrap up ending, it was going quite well until that point I thought.

Personally I wouldn't put anything in my veins, let alone opium tar boiled in vinegar, in a ladle over a camp fire. Sounds like pretty terrible HR to me.

Although the knobhead who presents the video is in full support of this and considers it better than injecting street heroin (I suppose because it's quite a short film, there wasn't time to go into sufficient depth and detail about the subject in order to cover it properly)

EDIT: I'd be interested to know what anyone with experience of IV use thinks about injecting opium latex, fresh from a poppy field, and boiled up with vinegar on a campfire, as opposed to injecting street heroin, even if / when that heroin might be very low purity?

Last edited:
I am suprised that is not a myth; but glad. Yea don't put anything in your veins if you can at all resist it; dark road obviously.

So I could grow as many p smoni plants as I want and as long as I am not slitting them razors; and only using them for art. (legal reason to grab the pods)

I go through so many drafts and so much material goes to waste before a finishd product.

A good, batch and I mean you have plenty pods I may even prefer it to heroin. (dfinitey in the US everything is Fet, I dont have a problem with needles; assuming I understand what is in that needle which if US is unlikey..... Thebaine, Codeine, Morhpine is a hell of an opi cocktail at the right dose. covers alot of mu agonists

So I could grow as many p smoni plants as I want and as long as I am not slitting them razors; and only using them for art. (legal reason to grab the pods)
This is the case in the UK, it is perfectly legal to grow opium poppies for decorative purposes, and it's legal to keep the dried pods for arts and crafts, such as dried flower arranging etc. You'd probably need to keep the stems to go with that.

The laws do vary across different countries and states though and wikipedia has good information on this.

i know,that pharma industry grows in U.K. pharma grade...somewhere in the south...Davon may be..if i write it correctly idk.these dissapeared here ,when they banned it long,long time ago...the others are ok,if u are drug naive or u have low tollerance...and yes they can grow obvious in southern UK...as to Dublin-idk...never heard about....and sorry for the input....it is written-Specifically for UK people.my apologies
You’re wrong.
Check my post before your’s on page 5, a lot of ornamentals are just as strong as those grown for pharmaceutical use.

Queen’s Poppy, Lauren’s Grape, Hen’s and Chicks and also Gigantium/Gigantheium are all ornamentals that produce a decent amount of opium and morphine.
Also regular opium poppies you find growing wild will produce opium that on average contains 12% morphine.

It is possible to buy so called ‘pharmaceutical’ seeds.
I don’t know how true it is but apparently the British pharma’ seeds are originally from Tasmania and aren’t the high thebaine low morphine type.
I know a site that sells a few different British pharma seeds, I say different cause they got them from different regions.

I know Negrogesic said he grew British pharma poppies before and they were great.

Someone else mentioned seeds, the vast majority sold in shops aren’t washed or sterilised/ungrowable.
Though I’m talking about UK, European, Turkish and Indian seeds sold for food use.

You’re wrong.
Check my post before your’s on page 5, a lot of ornamentals are just as strong as those grown for pharmaceutical use.

Queen’s Poppy, Lauren’s Grape, Hen’s and Chicks and also Gigantium/Gigantheium are all ornamentals that produce a decent amount of opium and morphine.
Also regular opium poppies you find growing wild will produce opium that on average contains 12% morphine.

It is possible to buy so called ‘pharmaceutical’ seeds.
I don’t know how true it is but apparently the British pharma’ seeds are originally from Tasmania and aren’t the high thebaine low morphine type.
I know a site that sells a few different British pharma seeds, I say different cause they got them from different regions.

I know Negrogesic said he grew British pharma poppies before and they were great.

Someone else mentioned seeds, the vast majority sold in shops aren’t washed or sterilised/ungrowable.
Though I’m talking about UK, European, Turkish and Indian seeds sold for food use.
Opinions or people's experience seem to differ regarding the Tasmanian type pharma pods. Quite a few people in other threads I've seen have said it's best to avoid these as in their experience they have been very high In Thebaine, and caused bad reactions. From what I gather some Tasmanian sub-varieties might be modified to be high Thebaine, and some not. But you wouldn't necessarily know beforehand which type they are, so this strain sounds like a bit of 'crapshoot' to me.

If I was ever going to try growing poppies again, I'd go for the Galania strain next time. By all accounts these are an amazing strain with high morphine content and low Thebaine.

The only issue is that they don't seem to be adapted to the British climate, so it would probably be more challenging to grow them over here compared to the adapted varieties.

Last edited:
You’re wrong.

No, man, @Nas47 is right, you are wrong.
I know that ornamental poppies can be potent, indeed some of them like Laurence's grape or White persian are strong; Bottond, Blue Budha and other hungarian unpronounciable brands are even much more stronger. But you absolutely can't compare ANY of the ornamental varieties to the pharma poppies. Read, if you fancy, about Papaver s.officinale, or P s nigrum and some others. Those plants have been designed to produce incredible amounts of morphine that reach almost 3% in poppy straw, almost 30% in opium (tho, some of those varieties, case of P s nigrum, have also been designed to produce very few latex -to discourage clandestine harvesting-). No ornamental flower deserves even the effort of conparing it with the pharma poppies.

By the way, Hens and chickens and Giganteum are very unconsistent, you find very different batches. So are the many paeniflora ( sp?) kind of comercial poppies

yea nas is right. we try not to do the no your wrong thing too often. you should really be positive before dismissing someone.

Could have swore I seen a wild poppy on the Avenue I live on, was walking down the road one morning and was like wow that’s a rare sight.

Could have swore I seen a wild poppy on the Avenue I live on, was walking down the road one morning and was like wow that’s a rare sight.
You likely did. They grow out of cracks in the pavement and shit in the UK.
I would love to try some of the strong pharmaceutical varieties, as there is no way the one that grow wild here are as strong as the ones grown for opium. The tea I've made is always weak no matter how many I use.

We've had such a shit summer for growing psychoactives this year. My autoflowers are fuckin struggling.

Likewise with the poppies. Managed to bag a few pods during dog walks, but only enough to scratch that itch for a day (new house, not got the fuckers in an established routine yet).

But 12 pods had me fuckin buzzing for 24 hours.

Nice treat, but something I shouldn't repeat...

Yeah it was actually too hot, dry, and sunny for poppies for a few weeks in the early summer from May to June. And ever since then the summer has been a total wash out.

Dunno if it's climate change, or just a standard British summer.