• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Opioids [Specifically UK people, please] - Can you grow your own Poppies from Poppy Seeds...

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
...and then harvest the seeds from those poppies your grow and make poppy seed tea?

I ask as pretty much all poppy seeds sold in the UK are "washed" before sale (legally) to PREVENT people using them for an opioid reason.

If you're going to grow your own poppies, why not just brew the pods instead?

I've never tried making seed tea from my homegrown poppies, even though I've got a couple of kilos of seeds from past grows. Might give it a go sometime, but I'd have no idea how much to use.

Most of my seeds are destined for the new estate I've moved to - plenty of areas of bare soil just begging to be sown...

Aye, the pods contain a lot more opium than the seeds @ChemicallyEnhanced. You could give it a go, but I dunno if the washed ones would work. If they're the ones used to make morphine for medication that are sold to food companies then they'll be nice and strong, but that's probably unlikely.
If I was planning on growing some, I'd buy seeds of strains that have the highest alkaloid content.

Aye, the pods contain a lot more opium than the seeds @ChemicallyEnhanced. You could give it a go, but I dunno if the washed ones would work. If they're the ones used to make morphine for medication that are sold to food companies then they'll be nice and strong, but that's probably unlikely.
If I was planning on growing some, I'd buy seeds of strains that have the highest alkaloid content.

Very helpful, thanks!

I tried pods only a few times but when I brew what were biggest pods (not sure if it was giganteum var.) I thought I got no effects cuz almost all water evaporated while I was busy with my ex (than I added more and cocked it more) but as we used quite a bit and got no to minimal effects it might be because it was “florist variety”.

And to anyone who’s going to grow poppies, make some opium, pods are nice but opium is nicer (and you still get to use pods for tea).

Yeah I got an awful lot of shitty pods - I don't think it's anything to to with them "treating" it cos all the places selling them specifically say "Untreated".

I remember I was crushing up 100 pods and not even getting fucking high.

If you can get some active pods - opium is an interesting drug - very pleasant physical high and a strange half-awake, half-dreaming state.

Last edited:
I've a question that's relevant actually, maybe @F.U.B.A.R. and @fastandbulbous know, but I've picked/brewed a lot of pods that have been papaver somniferum but with petals of the frizzy "pom pom" variety, usually pink or white/purple in colour.
I've read somewhere that you should only pick the ones with the normal, flat, red/purple variety.
Is that a load of bollocks then? I've noticed wild poppies growing in neglected gardens or in cracks in painting are usually very mild in effects, regardless of the type of petals. I've never noticed a difference anyway.
What's everyone else think? I think when I get off the methadone I might be able to do Fubsy's thing of having a once a year treat and growing a crop in a planter.

Yeah I got an awful lot of shitty pods - I don't think it's anything to to with them "treating" it cos all the places selling them specifically say "Untreated".

I remember I was crushing up 100 pods and not even getting fucking high.

If you can get some active pods - opium is an interesting drug - very pleasant physical high and a strange half-awake, half-dreaming state.

100 pods and fuck all? Yikes!!!

My usual dose of homegrowns is around 12 pods - that gets me to where I want to be for 12 - 18 hours.

I've a question that's relevant actually, maybe @F.U.B.A.R. and @fastandbulbous know, but I've picked/brewed a lot of pods that have been papaver somniferum but with petals of the frizzy "pom pom" variety, usually pink or white/purple in colour.
I've read somewhere that you should only pick the ones with the normal, flat, red/purple variety.
Is that a load of bollocks then? I've noticed wild poppies growing in neglected gardens or in cracks in painting are usually very mild in effects, regardless of the type of petals. I've never noticed a difference anyway.
What's everyone else think? I think when I get off the methadone I might be able to do Fubsy's thing of having a once a year treat and growing a crop in a planter.

Ah, you're referring to the 'Chrysanthemum' flowered varieties. I started off growing those as they are the most common type sold in garden centres. Didn't have much success. Then my dad gave me a small bag of seeds from some poppies he grew years ago and they were the more 'traditional' type of flower.

I think many of the more ornamental varieties have had all the good shit bred out of them, either intentionally or unintentionally.