• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Sleep Paralysis and DMT

I go through phases of having sleep paralysis and out of body experiences. I used to be so intrigued by the experience and I would intentionally induce sleep paralysis with the intent of having an OOBE.

The method I've found most effective for myself is:
Step 1: Sleeping on my back, not on my side or stomach.
Step 2: Waking up about an hour or 2 before I wanted to get up for the day and meditating for 10-20 minutes eventually nodding back to sleep, but keeping in my mind that I want to wake up relatively soon.
Step 3: ??? WTF is going on? I can't move and I'm hearing/seeing weird shit but I think I'm awake and my eyes are open! THERE'S A MUD MAN WALKING TOWARDS MY BED
Step 4: Profit

I haven't tried anything stronger than a threshold dose of DMT, but I'm planning on trying it within the month.

From the low doses I've tried, it seemed like going from a sober state to peaking (although a rather mild peak due to the small dose) on mushrooms in about 1 minute. My mind was (seemed?) surprisingly clear and sober, alert but not paranoid. My body and mind were relaxed and a bit energized. Stretching felt amazing. After about 10 minutes I was verrrry relaxed and could have drifted off to sleep within 2 minutes if I had chosen to.

I'll post back on here when I take a full dose though. I've been dreaming a lot lately, so I'll probably start having sleep paralysis more often :!

I hear you, Schizzy. Btw from a chemical point of view, what would help best to induce the state would be to smoke pot for a few days, then quit and go to sleep all excited. These days I know exactly which nights I will succeed and which I will not, by the way I feel before going to bed.

Regarding the dmt thing (a lot of you will probably know if you've read abou my lab explosion), I have used a lot of dmt before. I had my first full blown obe the night after my most profound psychedelics experience of all times, which happened when I smoked some dmt on top of being anm hour into 100mg insufflated racemic Ketamine. Ever since then the desire to use psychedelics has faded almost completely, eventhough I did eat acid again for the hell of it.

I go through phases of having sleep paralysis and out of body experiences. I used to be so intrigued by the experience and I would intentionally induce sleep paralysis with the intent of having an OOBE.

The method I've found most effective for myself is:
Step 1: Sleeping on my back, not on my side or stomach.
Step 2: Waking up about an hour or 2 before I wanted to get up for the day and meditating for 10-20 minutes eventually nodding back to sleep, but keeping in my mind that I want to wake up relatively soon.
Step 3: ??? WTF is going on? I can't move and I'm hearing/seeing weird shit but I think I'm awake and my eyes are open! THERE'S A MUD MAN WALKING TOWARDS MY BED
Step 4: Profit

I haven't tried anything stronger than a threshold dose of DMT, but I'm planning on trying it within the month.

From the low doses I've tried, it seemed like going from a sober state to peaking (although a rather mild peak due to the small dose) on mushrooms in about 1 minute. My mind was (seemed?) surprisingly clear and sober, alert but not paranoid. My body and mind were relaxed and a bit energized. Stretching felt amazing. After about 10 minutes I was verrrry relaxed and could have drifted off to sleep within 2 minutes if I had chosen to.

I'll post back on here when I take a full dose though. I've been dreaming a lot lately, so I'll probably start having sleep paralysis more often :!

BreakingSet said:
If I relax it goes on like a very very lucid dream where I can fly and see in 360 degrees and have sex with the universe.

Schizzy said:
I used to be so intrigued by the experience and I would intentionally induce sleep paralysis with the intent of having an OOBE.

crOOk said:
[...]but instead one of the greatest gifts I can think of. She's just one step away from experiencing full blown OBE's if you ask me.
Maybe you should point this out to your gf... :)

Thanks guys. I might come back after I talk to her in a month or so with some questions or input on how she's doing with it. She doesn't get them nearly as often now that she doesn't use coke or has tons of stress.

Your body paralyses when your spirit tries to leave your body. If you fight it you will go back in to your body quikly. You also paralyse when you die for example. But you're not going to die in your sleep like this or anything...

Astral projection is way more fun but I can't master it sober with all these damn sedatives I'm doing :\

x2stpsfrmnowhere, if you want to experience such state you need to be more spiritual and druguse can be usefull (shrooms, mdma). If you practice and achieve lucid dreaming it's bound to happen to you sooner or later. But I warn you that it can be frightning.

The 2 times I've had SP has been 2 days after a hallucinogen trip (2C-E, LSD). With this these drugs might contribute, though I have never had it since, nor had DMT.

Yeah, you need to be openminded to be able to do it and psychedelics sure help with that.

if a quick response from me saying that i believe dmt and sleep paralysis are related helps any, here it is. but i must go

back when i was smoking a lot of dmt during a particular time period often as falling asleep i would jolt awake real fast...having felt a brief sensation of 'going there' and having it slightly shock me to the point where i tried to become more cognizant of what was going on. Also, sometimes its fun to play with that sensation and see how long you can drag it out (though i am not sure i have any incidents of actual paralysis i can remember), though it is harder to notice when you're not either looking for it or having it shoved in your face.

have had SP several times, never done DMT though. GOD I HATE SP!

i thought they found that when a loud noise awakes you from REM sleep that your body release a chem that causes SP to keep you from freakin out and running around?

I used to use AMT very regularly, like 3-4 times per week. Anytime I used it 3 days in a row or more, I would get strong sleep paralysis for 1-3 days afterward, especially if I took melatonin before bed. This was accompanied by immensely intense dreams that were as real as reality ever was, dreams where I would realize I was dreaming but I couldn't get out of them and over time I would start to become confused as to whether my previous life was the dream or this thing I was experiencing was the dream. I also have gotten sleep paralysis after the last few times I did MDMA... now that I think about it, I think every case of sleep paralysis I've had has been accompanying serotonin draining drugs.

The sleep paralysis part is frightening... I liked it because it meant intense dreams, but I was never able to banish the fear enough to let go and leave my body. I would wake up with a huge rushing or crackling type of sound in my hearing, and I would feel like I was being pressed down extremely forcefully, and/or that I was rushing down a long tunnel at impossible speeds. It's so intense that it seemed impossible for me to not experience fear or discomfort. During one night that it kept happening, I found out that if I tried as hard as I possibly could to move, I could gradually twitch my leg over to the side of the bed, and once it finally fell off, I would snap out of it and be able to move again. A lot of the time I felt like it was really hard to breathe, too... I think it's because I was panicking and trying to breathe fast but my body was automatically doing deep, slow sleep breaths. I never tried just letting it happen naturally because my thought was that I couldn't breathe.

Scary stuff, but I wish it would happen regularly because of the dreams... I can never remember my dreams normally. Plus I'd love to be able to banish the fear and have an out-of-body experience.

i've had some pretty fucked up sp experiences. it'd b interesting to explore that transitional world more, i will try next time f i remember

Sleep Paralysis is not spiritual at all for me. Its just what it is... being awake unable to move. Lasts 5-15 seconds, feels like I'm crossing a tightrope, trying to move, trying not to fall deep into unconsciousness which feels like a terrifying void. Never seen entities, never felt like my spirit was doing anything but sweatin waiting for it to stop.

I have encountered sleep paralysis several times but not regularly.

Once I awoke to an incredibly intense body rush of fear and the sight of a ghoulish creature flying in through my door. When I look back on it the intense/ scary rush felt very similar to a DMT rush.

Another time I awoke to the feeling of being held down. I could not move at all. There was the strong inclination that I felt I was being restrained and probed by something. It was very frightening. I found that if I tried to fight it and move, the immobility and feeling of restraint only increased. Only when I took a deep breath, told myself nothing would happen, and ceased resisting did it go away.

ive had this a few times. im reading on every ones replys and whats happened to me sounds familiar, whats bizzare is it only happens at work when im in my office chair and i have a cat nap.

usually ill be in my office sitting in my chair itll feel like im awake but dreaming at the same time. either im dreaming up my office in my head and everything looks as it should, or my body is asleep but my mind awake in a way that i can see my surroundings which is my office. anyways i get the familiar fearful unsettling feeling and i definatley feel some one elses prescence.

one particularly frightening one was where i remembered being attacked by some female demonic presence (i never actually got a glimpse of this presence) in such a way it seemed she was attempting to rape me or something. i was sitting in my office chair and i kept feeling painful jabs at my body i could actually feel this. and something on top of me pushing against me forcefully. it was pretty freaky because i was completley immobile and struggling very hard to move trying to lift my arms up scream swear or something. it was a real struggle but i finally manged to lift my arms and break free at which point i woke up.

other incidents have been pretty much similar to what i just described. its not as frightening as the first few times but its still very unerving and unpleasant i think that unsetteling feeling is just a part of the experience

as to what caused this im not entirely sure my first incident ever with this happened in my office a little over a year and a half ago when i was having a cat nap. beofore that i only used salvia mushrooms dxm weed ritalin and coke. afterwords ive used several more psychedelic drugs as well as mdma. i dont think my drug use has much to do with it but it more or less has to do with setting (ie) me falling asleep in that office when ever i have cat naps

Last edited:
@the posters of the last 8 posts or so
I urge you to read my post again further up, sp is just a stage, it can lead you to the most beautiful sphere you could ever dream of. just read my one post further up or pm me for details. else go cry about your "sleep paralysis" and how some chemical must be released to cause your body to be unable to move (gawd i love that sort of psychiatric approach). the only thing torturing you is the fear of the unknown, once you look at it as an opportunity it wont feel threatening at all, itll feel like fucking bliss, total ecstasy, a state so beautiful in quality that no chemical ive put into my brain can match the feeling, can even come remotely close to the sort of ECSTASY! its so beautiful that each time id wake up crying, tears running down my face in streams.

you really might wanna look into it, sorry if i sound a bit arrogant here.

I had never made the connection before, but the physical effects of salvia ( haven't played with DMT ), remind me exactly of sleep paralysis. Perhaps that's why I don't like it.

Indelibleface said:
I saw my bed, but suddenly, the image of reality (and it was reality, it was extremely lucid, and I'm mostly convinced that I was partially seeing the waking world when it was "pre-empted" by SP) slowly faded...

Sounds really similar to my SP experiences. It's always right as I'm falling asleep, or waking up, and the onset of the experience causes me to instinctively open my eyes, so I get a view of reality which starts morphing into what I see during the SP episode.

Any SP experience I can remember has started out with an incredibly awesomely euphoric body buzz (similar to being on nitrous or something), which lasts for maybe 2 seconds (just long enough for me to think, "Wow! This is an awesome dr--"), and then takes a sharp descent into an intense rush of fear and anxiety.

My most recent experience was when I was sleeping in a hotel room. I was having a bit of trouble falling asleep for some reason, so I was just lying there staring at a painting on the wall next to my bed lit by the moonlight. Suddenly I got the euphoric body buzz, and then the fear. Then, I had the sensation that the painting I was looking at was not on a hotel room wall, but rather the wall of a kitchen. The image didn't change, just its assumed setting. I started having vivid auditory hallucinations of hundreds of papers rustling, as if a wind had swept through a room filled with many loose papers; this sound slowly evolved into the sound of my father yelling. I toyed around with the fascinating state of mind for a bit, and then, after a few unsuccessful attempts, awoke myself by wiggling a toe.