View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Sleep Paralysis and DMT

VertexShader

Bluelighter
We all know the role DMT plays in NDE's, but I'm intrigued with sleep paralysis. People who have it commonly experience a terrifying presence while feeling tied down and unable to cry out. Sometimes they see a very distinct hallucination of another being in the corner, looking at them. If the person can just let go and ignore the fear, it is said to result in some very intense experiences. (tunnels, aliens, obe's)

What one person says about it – “For me it can be quite spiritual - almost like an open tube of information coming very directly from somewhere else.” http://www.nderf.org/forum/messages/9/671.html?1120053446

Curious. So I'm wondering, is sleep paralysis somehow related to DMT? Sounds a lot like it to me. Are the "trips" similiar? It is said DMT may mediate sleeping, so this might help prove that.

Last edited:
I have had 100s of SP experiences, most of them were horrible, really really scary. I've never done DMT, but I've had lots of tother tryptamines including DPT. I'd say they've got nothing (!) to do with SP...
Anyway, I've talked to people who have withdrawn Effexor. Their experiences sound a lot like some of my SP symptoms, only they occur while awake.

I'm totally into dreaming btw, I can remember up to 20 dreams per night and write a lot of them down. I am on my path to master lucid dreaming now. It's quiet hard though...

EDIT: Read that link, EXACTLY what I have learnt:
For me I learned to tell myself that it would not last long - that enables me to relax.
"Relax" isn't really the right expression though for being electrocuted and accelerated to lightning speed at the same time with some invisible force punching your stomach.

crOOk

I've had so many i couldn't tell ya a number, but a lot more than 100 i know that. I've had them since I was young, I can still clearly remember an "OOBE" experience i had when i was 6 yrs old, the vividness and realness, too bad for some reason as i got older its never quite as real looking and vivid as when i was young.

I get sleep paralysis often enough to not remember when i've had them or how long ago. Sometimes its annoying and i'll "shake myself awake" (my mind is awake/body sleeping), sometimes i'll just lay there and move my hands around, sometimes there are perceived entities touching me or similar, its never anything to be afriad of with me at least, but its a pretty "normal" thing with me, and I know I can't get hurt and its harmless.

Crook when you get it, have you ever just tried playing around and seeing what you can do? With me, i can move my invisible hands in front of me, and although I see the room and no hands, it certainly feels exactly like if i was awake and.. moved my hands there, i can feel each finger etc. Whats wierd is I can touch my face too, and it feels exactly if i were to touch my face while awake... but.. there's no hands there, its interesting.

Also I can rock back and forth, or it feels like my body is rotating left/right as if i had a line of something going straight through my head down through me.. keeping me from "getting loose" from my body.

I have had lots of SP experiences too. Some good some bad some just absolutely freaky.

Seen the shady entity, had the hag feeling sitting on my chest, had it sit next to me on my bed while I tried to call out.

Now after so many experiences I am calm with it and dont freak out so it is ok. If i want out i can wiggle my toe and break it faster but been trying to use it more.

GHB seems a drug that can induce this kind of situation when I sleep too.

yaesutom said:
I've had so many i couldn't tell ya a number, but a lot more than 100 i know that. I've had them since I was young, I can still clearly remember an "OOBE" experience i had when i was 6 yrs old, the vividness and realness, too bad for some reason as i got older its never quite as real looking and vivid as when i was young.

I get sleep paralysis often enough to not remember when i've had them or how long ago. Sometimes its annoying and i'll "shake myself awake" (my mind is awake/body sleeping), sometimes i'll just lay there and move my hands around, sometimes there are perceived entities touching me or similar, its never anything to be afriad of with me at least, but its a pretty "normal" thing with me, and I know I can't get hurt and its harmless.

Crook when you get it, have you ever just tried playing around and seeing what you can do? With me, i can move my invisible hands in front of me, and although I see the room and no hands, it certainly feels exactly like if i was awake and.. moved my hands there, i can feel each finger etc. Whats wierd is I can touch my face too, and it feels exactly if i were to touch my face while awake... but.. there's no hands there, its interesting.

Also I can rock back and forth, or it feels like my body is rotating left/right as if i had a line of something going straight through my head down through me.. keeping me from "getting loose" from my body.

Ha, last night I woke up from that nightmare and that's usually when it occurs. I woke up and didn't wanna move cause I was afraid I couldn't!!! It turnt out I could and was awake though. Phew! Shit, man, 100 is probably way understated btw... Remember I'm just 21 and have had em for only 4 years now... Lol, I sound like I was trying to dicksize with it. He, like those old ladies in the bus who are arguing who has a higher degree of disability.

Anyway, I can sometimes move a little, like I could sit up and look at my hand, notice the lights are flickering and stuff. Then I'm usually tossed around by unknown forces etc. It's something slightly different from my regular SP though, with a lot more hallucinations! In my normal SP I can't do much, usually (!) don't have any hallucinations besides sounds or vibrating sensations or the light being changed.

It's true though, I can often move my hands like you do, or shift around to the left and right in bed, I often try to fall out of bed in order to help myself in some way. Also, when I try to scream, which still is a typical reaction for me to SP (so much about "relaxing") I often feel like I can open my mouth. You're right, it does feel sorta like I'm not really moving myself, but just my soul or whatever you wanna call it. Never thought about it all that much. Isn't SP related to OBE or whatever that weird stuff is called?

At 8am I dropped some bdfl tonight and went back to bed. By 9:30 I had lots of very (!) vivid dreams, one fo them lucid without waking up (I've never been able to achieve lucidity without waking up within a minute!! W00T!!!)I wrote down 5 DIN A4 pages this morning, 4 of them happened between 8 and 9:30. All dreams were connected and I could remember them within my dreams and talk abou them realizing they were just dreams. It was an awesome night. Maybe it was the psychedelics.

I love dreaming, it's better than any drug and so many people waste SO much fucking time of their lives not caring about their dreams :( It's the key to our subconsciousness, a real shame most people don't care much. That's one of the reasons why I'm kinda proud of my SP (lol, call me ridiculous or whatever), it makes me stand out in some way dreamwise, no matter if it's scary or not, I don't think I'd have as many vivid (1-15) dreams per night if I wouldn't have SP. SP always occurs when I have more intense and vivid and more frequent dreams. It is in fact for me just a dream sensation and there is a fluent transition to normal dreams!

The most intense dreams always occur before waking up and after falling asleep btw, at least for me. Fuck that REM=dreams bullshit, people can't get it out of their heads.

crOOk

Man I have so many Q's. Are your eyes open when it happens? How long has it been happening? How old were you when it first happened? Why do you get scared or anxious if you know what it is and that it might happen?
Is it the same thing as when your waking up and still half awake half asleep and can't move or is this limited only to before you fall asleep?

x2stpsfrmnowhere said:
Man I have so many Q's. Are your eyes open when it happens?

For me, this is something I can't discern, although during most of my episodes, I am in the room that I was sleeping in, and the detail is extremely accurate, so I believe that for some of my episodes, my eyes are open and taking in some sort of outside stimulus. Other episodes feature completely immersive hallucinations, although my eyes may be open during this too. I can't tell.

x2stpsfrmnowhere said:
How long has it been happening? How old were you when it first happened?

It started two or three years ago. It happens perhaps a few times a month for me, but for some, it can happen every night, or extremely rarely. Statistically, they say most people experience SP at least once or twice in their lifetime.

x2stpsfrmnowhere said:
Why do you get scared or anxious if you know what it is and that it might happen?

For me, it doesn't frighten me anymore, although there was one night in which I tried to get to sleep several times, and every time I would drift into sleep, I would just drift into SP and this irritated me. Each experience is naturally different, and I can understand how people can be anxious about this.

x2stpsfrmnowhere said:
Is it the same thing as when your waking up and still half awake half asleep and can't move or is this limited only to before you fall asleep?

It is the same thing. I've experienced both, although the waking-up version is far more common for me. Both version produce the same hypnagogic hallucinations and temporary paralysis. Upon full waking, I usually have a pins-and-needles effect sporadically around my body that disappates quickly.

For me, most of my experiences are neither good nor bad, but just weird. Sometimes, if I am aware that I am experiencing SP during an episode, I can shape the experience by attempting to move around in certain ways or intensely focusing on certain thoughts. In this regard, it's almost like a psychedelic experience. I usually am more entertained by SP now than scared by it.

My most recent experience: I was slowly waking up, and I saw my bed, but suddenly, the image of reality (and it was reality, it was extremely lucid, and I'm mostly convinced that I was partially seeing the waking world when it was "pre-empted" by SP) slowly faded into the backseat of a van, and the van was driving through a canyon, without anyone in the driver's seat. I felt a bizarre sensation, as if the air pressure in the van dramatically increased beyond comfortability, and I could not move. I heard a voice vividly whisper in my ear, "Slow down, slow down, slow down..." as the car accelerated. Everything slowly faded into the waking world; the sound of the voice slowly faded into the sound of my apartment air conditioner. I couldn't move right away but I quickly regained feeling in my body, with a slight residual tingling sensation that faded gradually.

Last edited:
My eyes should be open, yes. There's really no telling though. Also there are different kinds of SP for me. Some that are more dream like, including me being able to move, vivid hallucinations and usually a couple of false awakenings.

Hmmm... the scare factor. Good question. When they first occured (I was 17 pretty sure) I didn't know what was going on at all. My eyes definitely seemed like they were open and the whole picture seeme dto be shaking, like my eyes were wiggling really quick! Also, the rooms were often experienced liek they were filled with some evil force or evil spirits or whatever. At least there's always a general feeling of something threatening you for me. Imagine being threatened and not bein able to move.
The more important thing about why I am scared though are definitely the physical (?) symptoms! Vibrating sensations that can be as bad as you whole body violently shaking like in a fever. Also in the end I don't always wake up. There's really no telling what's gonna happen.
In that one, more dream like scenario I am at the end feeling a strong pressure on my stomach, like when being accelerated (ever went sky diving? Like that!), at the same time there can be flashes going through my head accompanied by the sounds of strong electric current flowing through my brain. After that is over, or often simultaneously I am then thrown across the room hitting the wall, or thrown up into the air against the ceiling or my bed would turn around and lie on top of me or me just spinning around in my bed.

Ok now, when it's over I don't know whether I'm awake, whether I will be fucked with again in a second or if I am actually just dreaming. There's usually lots of false awakenings in a row. A typical wild night would look like this:

T+00:00 Me trying to sleep
T+00:20 Me falling asleep
T+00:24 Me having a very vivid (!) bad dream
T+00:25 Me waking up covered in sweat, heart pounding, trying to switch on the light, being scared shitless, not being able to move. Trying to scream, realizing I can't scream, realizing it's just the SP again, it'as gonna be over soon. Relieve. This lasts for 30 seconds or so. I prepare for what is to happen and am then thrown across the room with full force, usually feeling the physical and accoustical sensations described above.
T+00:26 Me waking up again, same place, I get up, walk down the stairs, absolutely sure I'm awake this time. I walk into the bathroom. Something crazy happens (like someone kicking me through the door or whatever). Again, the exact same physical symptoms will be experienced, including stomach pressure, electric current, noises etc.
T+00:27 Me waking up again, same place, am I asleep? Am I awake? I am scared. I can't move. I can't scream. It fades. I am back. Phew. Am I really though? I'm unsure whether I am awake or not for at least another 5 minutes.

Also, if one of the more real episodes is followed by dreamlike episodes, I sometimes wonder if I actually woke up in between or not... It's a stupid question to ask myself in the first place, since these phenomenoms seem to exist between sleeping and waking... Still I feel I cannot differentiate between sleeping and waking anymore which I hate. It often happens to me that I dream something and the next day I wouldn't know wheter it happened or not. Like a little kid. We all had to learn to separate our dreams from reality, right? Who has never searched for something they haeve acquired in their dreams as a kid the morning after? Since I have sleep paralysis, this occurs more and more often. I am having lots of deja vus, when I visit certain palces that I feel I only know from my dreams, or I think about how to get to a certain place hours after waking up until I realize I just dreamt it. Or last week, someone called me at 11am. I bitched at him like crazy (I always do when people call before 12am on the weekends, don't know why I still leave the phones on) and when I got up two hours later I wanted to call him up and tell him I kinda overreacted. It turnt out that noone had called, I mean, check it out: I was actually excusing myself for bitching at him when he didn't even call!!!! It freaked him out. lol I then checked my phones and he was right, he did not call me. I still couldn't believe it if I wouldn't know.

So basically, for me SP seems to be a state between sleeping and waking, some sort of dysfunction that makes the two become harder to separate, something that makes there be a fluent transition rather than an abrupt change from dreaming to waking.

Freaky.

crOOk

Indelibleface said:
For me, this is something I can't discern, although during most of my episodes, I am in the room that I was sleeping in, and the detail is extremely accurate, so I believe that for some of my episodes, my eyes are open and taking in some sort of outside stimulus. Other episodes feature completely immersive hallucinations, although my eyes may be open during this too. I can't tell.
Exactly, don't have anything to add.

Also, theres another thing that sometimes occurs, I forgot about that! I sometimes carry on the physical feelings pf my dream state into the SP. Like I would be elctrocuted in a dream, wake up, wanting to call an ambulance because I am still being electrified and feeling like my heart was afftected by this!! I realize I am not able to because I can't move. I realize I am in SP. I get the "flashes" (see my above description) and finally wake up.
The scary part is it feeling so fucking real. You're in actual pain. Like one time it felt like there were table tennis balls below my skin on my back and large bubbles in my lungs that made weird sounds.

Btw, pot makes SP stop occuring completely for me!

crOOk

Indelibleface said:
My most recent experience: I was slowly waking up, and I saw my bed, but suddenly, the image of reality (and it was reality, it was extremely lucid, and I'm mostly convinced that I was partially seeing the waking world when it was "pre-empted" by SP) slowly faded into the backseat of a van, and the van was driving through a canyon, without anyone in the driver's seat. I felt a bizarre sensation, as if the air pressure in the van dramatically increased beyond comfortability, and I could not move. I heard a voice vividly whisper in my ear, "Slow down, slow down, slow down..." as the car accelerated. Everything slowly faded into the waking world; the sound of the voice slowly faded into the sound of my apartment air conditioner. I couldn't move right away but I quickly regained feeling in my body, with a slight residual tingling sensation that faded gradually.
He, sounds cool as fuck.

Uh, damn deja vu!
lasting AND...
lasting
AND...
over.
Damn that was intense.
EDIT: Maybe that's because I'm on bromo-dragonfly. :D

EDIT2: Lol, what a coincidence: Bob Dylan singing "Series of Dreams". Hehe

crOOk

Last edited:
crOOk said:
Exactly, don't have anything to add.

Also, theres another thing that sometimes occurs, I forgot about that! I sometimes carry on the physical feelings pf my dream state into the SP. Like I would be elctrocuted in a dream, wake up, wanting to call an ambulance because I am still being electrified and feeling like my heart was afftected by this!! I realize I am not able to because I can't move. I realize I am in SP. I get the "flashes" (see my above description) and finally wake up.
The scary part is it feeling so fucking real. You're in actual pain. Like one time it felt like there were table tennis balls below my skin on my back and large bubbles in my lungs that made weird sounds.

Btw, pot makes SP stop occuring completely for me!

crOOk

Yeah, the pain sensation can be extremely annoying. I woke up in sleep paralysis once and tried to reach over to touch my girlfriend who was sleeping next to me, and I felt the sensation of someone biting my hand, like my girlfriend was biting my hand for some reason! Painful!

I've found that some SP experiences resemble psychedelic experiences. In one SP, I had visuals that equal a +3 LSD or 2C-E trip. In another, I had a mild OBE that resembled a DXM trip.

WTF?! Sounds totally fine to me. :)
Hehe, can't wait to learn lucid dreaming a little better and ingest drugs during my dreams. It is going to be lots of fun!

crOOk

crOOk said:
WTF?! Sounds totally fine to me. :)
Hehe, can't wait to learn lucid dreaming a little better and ingest drugs during my dreams. It is going to be lots of fun!

crOOk

Normally, it's great, I love that sort of thing, but my brain interpreted the bite as an animal bite. It's strange; I didn't see my girlfriend when the bite occurred (I could not move really), but something in my brain told me "animal bite" and I freaked out.

I don't mean the bite, i meant the intoxication... :D
I feel you with the bite man, it's horrible, sleep paralysis can be very intense, painful and scary, but hey: We all eventually learn to live with it.
There are worse things out there and I fortunately am not experiencing any of those...

crOOk

Bringing up a really old post here...

My gf has sleep paralysis and I was asking her about it and it reminded me allot of DMT. So anyone with SP use DMT before? can you compare the experiences? She has used a light dose of 5-MeO-DMT but not enough to really understand it at all. They sound very similar except the presence you usally have with DMT is a positive or nutrual one while SP seams to usually be very negative and scary.

Also any tips that I could give her to make the SP experience less scary? For her it's almost always like she can't breath, she can't scream no matter how hard she trys, and there's almost always a presence with her that is always evil/very negative. I didn't get much else out of her because we're communicating through letters for the next couple weeks (She's out of town).

Well well, it sleep paralysis used to be nightmarish for me. No, hellish. After a few years I stumbled across some information that explained how OBE travellers are trying to reach that exact state that used to haunt me at night in order to "leave their body".
I wouldn't ask anyone to believe that you actually leave your body during an OBE, but what I do claim to KNOW, is that these people who talk about "OBE"'s don't make all that shit up. It is actually something most people can learn and combines elements of both the dreaming and the waking state.

I suggest your girlfriend should find out that this "sp" isn't just a malfunction, bad luck, something that will scare you shitless and comes to torture you at night, but instead one of the greatest gifts I can think of. She's just one step away from experiencing full blown OBE's if you ask me.

Here's a book that will help you. Took around 40 pages for my first travel experience to happen... http://tinyurl.com/6jzvv3

I pm'd you for further info.

I have had SP episodes since childhood and they do remind me a lot of the DMT experience. IN fact, after using DMT via oral, I have SP episodes predictably for the next three to four nights.

Sometimes I am aware that I am falling into a SP episode because I can hear a flanging sound, much like the sound that accompanies the tryptamine buzz (it's usually a common noise, like the fan, yet it is perceived as waving/flanging wildly).

You may do an internet search to find some way to help ease her trauma. My SP dreams are a lot like the psychedelic experience in that when it's coming on, if I fight it and try to scream or wake up, it turns out terrible. If I relax it goes on like a very very lucid dream where I can fly and see in 360 degrees and have sex with the universe.

The presence I experience I refer to as everyface. It is an entity that wears every face I've ever known. It isn't blurry or morphing, it is all at once all faces from my psyche. It has irises that spin, very deep eyes. And although it scares me, I feel it means no harm. I only meet this entity under stressful circumstances.